By Alec Meer on September 10th, 2009 at 4:52 pm.
I still love tower defence games, and flip you for saying otherwise. Flip you right in the fliphole. So, the just-revealed Colony Defense has attracted my easily-distracted interest, as it’s TD across a suitably orb-shaped planet rather than a flat plane. Sure, the enemies still march in convenient lines, but the idea is you ping all over the planet’s surface and manage multiple battles at once. There’s a video below, sadly narrated by an incredibly sleepy-sounding man, but it gives a flavour of what this is going for.
BE! ENTHUSIASTIC! ABOUT! YOUR! OWN! GAME! Sigh.
Still, really dig the concept – looking forward to giving it a shot early next year. Here’s the main features revealed so far:
* Not your Mom’s tower defense! Defend each planets colonies from the alien onslaught in this high action / strategy title.
* Full 3D. Manage multiple strategies as you orbit above the surface of the planets. Rotate around the planet to keep an eye on the battles happening all over the planets surface.
* Multiple alien spawn points and multiple paths aliens can take to your helpless colonies, ensure frenzied, action-packed battles.
* Arcade style controls. Built from the ground up to be used with an XBOX 360 game pad. Works just as well with a mouse and keyboard support.
* 10 upgradable weapons to fight the good fight with. Ricochet laser cannons, flame throwers, stasis towers, artillery cannons, and many more, make for unique strategy each level.
* Real time Orbital Ion Cannon, when you need that extra punch!
* Thirty two unique levels to engage the enemy on.
I really had no idea my mum had played so many tower defence games. Learn something every day, eh?