When Lighting Attacks: Call Of Pripyat Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on September 11th, 2009 at 5:11 pm.

So it seems that DirectX 11 will be supported by Call Of Pripyat, although it’s not clear what difference that will make to the visual fidelity of the game. This new video (below) shows off lots of lovely real-time shadows and stuff, but I was under the impression that Stalker did that in DirectX 9 anyway… (There’s a slightly bizarre comparison of DX9 and DX10 versions of the game here, in which I’m not sure whether one mode could identifiably called “better” than the other from the stills on display.) The trailer, fortunately, also features an encounter with a monstrous psychic dwarf (above), just for good measure.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Poltergeist says:

funkay music!

2. shiggz says:

DX11 lol, i thought the picture looked like ps2

3. shiggz says:

Also the pic looks like Zombi Gimli .

4. l1ddl3monkey says:

It’s a shame that most of what we appear to be getting in Call of Pripyat appears to have already been done in mods.

Won’t stop me getting it; I’m still endlessly playing the first game and I’ve finally played the 2nd one all the way through (it’s ok but it’s not a patch – pun intended – on the original).

5. suibhne says:

I’m really eager to get back to The Zone, and their PR emphasis on the spooky atmosphere adds to my enthusiasm.

Still just “Fall 2009″, tho? We’ve pretty much started Fall 2009, and I’m a little surprised there’s been no further word.

6. K says:

shiggz: yeah coz the ps2 was well capable of real time shadows especially with physics based objects like that table that comes flying towards the player.

7. Arsewisely says:

What a ludicrous enemy. I liked the fact that the enemies in the previous games were all animalistic despite mutating from humans. What’s this guy doing wearing a robe?

8. gulag says:

So, they’re still releasing trailers of the camera slowly panning across dark stuff in the dark. Edgy.

Those dwarf things showed up in the Oblivion Lost mod. First time I met one it threw a fireball at me, which was unexpected (I died).

9. GibletHead2000 says:

Jazz Hands! ;-)

Also, I thought those DX10 shots looked _clearly_ better. Although it’s possible that turning the brightness up on the DX9 version might have had a similar effect?

10. Bhazor says:

Those third person shots are bewilderingly terrible. Why the dickens would include that in a trailer?

It’s been in a while since I went into the Zone. Has the mod community/GSC finally achieved the promises of the 8 year old trailers?

11. phil says:

If only it was wearing a red coat that would have been a sweet Don’t Look Now reference.

12. darthpugwash says:

That new monster in the trailer is actually a mutant they first made for Shadow of Chernobyl but cut out of the final release, it’s still there in the game files. There are lots of mods out there that splice it back in. It’s called a Buhrer if I recall correctly.

Vandelay says:

Why do those DX9 shots look butt ugly compared to DX9 shots from the first Stalker? Particular the first one with the horrid fog and lighting.

14. fuggles says:

It’s wearing a robe so you can’t see it’s zone.

15. Spoon says:

@Arsewisely: I don’t think its a robe, so much as a human sized raincoat type thing with a hood. It IS a dwarf. Besides, stalker has always had a hood fetish.

16. Uglycat says:

It’s done by Maurice Sendak.

17. Lack_26 says:

I don’t care, I just want more STALKER (never played Clear Sky though). And the lightning in the trailer looks very pretty indeed.

18. PleasingFungus says:

Heh. Excellent ending.

19. SirKicksalot says:

That tune is now stuck in my head.

What games have better lightning and shadows than Stalker?

solipsistnation says:

Huuuugs. HUUUUUUUGS.

21. Justin says:

I had been glad the Burer (dwarf) was cut from Shadow of Chernobyl – it’s a humanoid creature that can dress itself, not an animal, and it doesn’t fit in with the rest of the world. Plus, it’s just irritating to deal with, at least, in the Oblivion Lost mod.

Also, the music’s crap, again.

Despite all this, I’m still trying to figure out how to save the cash to build a new machine to play the game with all the effects on. The draw of the first game is so strong I’m willing to put up with new versions that don’t match up in some hard-to-define flavor. Call it “Star Wars Syndrome”.

22. Heliosicle says:

Thats awesomes, need new pc for it :(

23. bhlaab says:

It looks like the DX10 shots were using volumetric lighting, which was available with DX9 in clear sky.

of course the volumetric fog/smoke was dx10 only so thats probably why the first set looks so awful.

24. Jayt says:

K: you realise he said picture, not video.

Right?

25. Στέλιος says:

Like Justin mentioned, the burer was cut from the original but OL added it back in. I wouldn’t necessarily say they are irritating although I agree they are a little out of place. It is entertaining to see them attacking teh Freedom guards at the border between Red Forest and Army Warehouses, usually accompanied by (or fighting) packs of blind dogs.

26. Vinraith says:

Artificially restricting graphics options to try to force people to “upgrade” to a newly released operating system is SO 2007, I very much hope that’s not the game here.

27. TheSombreroKid says:

directx 11s big thing is tesselation, it’s like dynamic lod of the geometry based on the normal maps, so if this is done right when you get up close to the guys, those bump maps will actually be bumpy instead of just the shiny bits making it look bumpy, which is what we’ve been doing before.

28. TheSombreroKid says:

dirt 2 for the pc is going to use it too btw, which is why it’s taking so long compared to the console releases.

29. Tom says:

DX11 should be a good’n

30. bhlaab says:

@Vinraith: the thing is, what does an obscure developer from the ukraine have to gain from people upgrading?

31. TheSombreroKid says:

@bhlaab money from nvidia and ati, for bundled copies and such, crysis made a f tonne of money from bundled copies even if it’s less than they should’ve.

32. Backov says:

DX10 and Vista are interesting – they’re both pretty ground breaking, but they didn’t take off.

Now DX11 and Win7 – basically iterations of DX10 and Vista, are poised for success. Funny, our world.

33. jalf says:

@Backov: The problem is that there was nothing groundbreaking about Vista as a product. There were some significant improvements from a technical point of view, but none of it was visible to, or in any way benefited, the end-user. Which means that Vista was not ground-breaking. It did not break new ground. It stood still. You can’t sell a product on “we made a lot of changes. You won’t notice, but it’s heaps better now”.

Win7 has instead focused on user-targeted changes. All the changes from Vista are still there, but now they’re being used for things that actually benefit the user. Aero is no longer just eye-candy, it’s actually being *used* to revamp the interface. What’s more groundbreaking? The product which makes numerous pointless changes that aren’t actually used for anything, and suffers a a half-baked buggy launch as a result? Or the one which actually *improves the product from the user’s point of view*?

As for DX10 vs 11? Are you kidding? DX11 is not “just an iteration of DX10″, it contains a huge number of completely new features. If anything, DX10 was lackluster. It was a cleanup, and it broke backwards compatibility, but it didn’t add enough new features to make it worth the price. DX11 actually adds big new features that actually makes it worth using. If you want to talk about groundbreaking, forget about DX10. DX9 was more groundbreaking, and so is DX11. DX10 laid the groundwork for further changes to the API, but that’s not groundbreaking.

34. Kronyx says:

It was all pretty good until I saw that dwarf guy thing. I laughed my buttocks off and the music didn’t help either.

35. l1ddl3monkey says:

@ Kronyx:
    Oh – these are your buttocks. I’m afraid I stood on them.

36. Knight Of Cydonia says:

Well… it can’t be worse than Clear Sky. Can it? Please? /sadface

37. Grey Cap says:

Sad to see them trying to sell the game on Burer/the dwarf. Never understood why OL bothered to put them back in. I for one long for more exploration and artifact hunting. The economy of the Zone should be based on selling artifacts, not mugging your fellows to sell their guns!

38. ego says:

The more I see from GSC, the more i think they’re not a brilliant but slightly rough round the edges indie jewel, and the more i think they might just be a bit rubbish.

Is that trailer really the best they could do? It looks amateurish even for a mod team, and Call of Pipyrat looks exactly the same as every other stalker game.

If they’re really going to put things right this time, why aren’t they displaying the living world and improved RPG elements, instead of UBER KEWL lightning storms and slow mo combat?

39. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

solipsistnation:
    played too much AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! ?
    I could relate..

40. Mr_Bacco says:

CoP gets the Burer then. I do wish that GSC would include some new mutants based on animals rather than the re-using the ‘cut’ mutants from SoC (I believe there was a Chimera featured in the other recent CoP trailer on here?). The Burer are on the wrong side of humanoid and the Chimera, Cat and Zombie models look crap when compared to those of the other mutants.

I mean, there are bears in that area of Eastern Europe right? Or how about a few more mutated farmyard animals, or some more interesting humanoids in the vein of the bloodsucker and poltergeist?

41. TheSombreroKid says:

@jalf
    i think laying the groundwork comes after the ground breaking, which would make it ground breaking and then some.

42. Breaker Morant's ghost says:

Why do games insist on flipping the guns so that ejected casings spit into your face? It’s retarded.

43. Shalrath says:

It’s an old problem with modelling. Long story short – devs wanted to showcase the weapons functioning, i.e. spitting out brass, which you can’t see if it’s correct.

I agree though, it’s retarded.

Also, modders can’t fix it (due to the animations) so that sucks too. Try using the FN2000, at least it ejects cases downward, making it harder to notice, heh (Or the LR300, which has the charging handle which looks ambidextrous)

44. NeonBlackJack says:

DAYummmm, who chose that music?

45. blindpsychic says:

And GSC continues to flail about trying to figure out what made STALKER popular to begin with.

@Shal: I always figured it was partly inherited from CS, which in turn inherited it from Gooseman on AQ2. He’s left handed, so he made all the guns in CS left handed. Could be an old wive’s tale though.

46. Alex says:

Stalker is one on those games that, on paper, I should like. The combat is pretty solid, there’s some mysterious stuff going down and it has a free-roaming aspect to it.

Maybe it’s because I bought the game when it was on sale for $5, so I didn’t feel like I had to keep playing to prove I hadn’t wasted my money, but I never even made it to the garbage dump. It might have become more interesting but I never really felt inclined to start the game up again.

47. Mac says:

In ThE mIDdLe Of An EpIlEpTiC aTtAcK aFtEr AlL tHaT fLaShInG !!!

48. Jetsetlemming says:

The video won’t load for me. Also you switched video players to the same one that Destructoid did recently, and at least on Destructoid it’s a giant shitty ass piece of shit video player. Runs horrible, loads slower, and doesn’t look any better than, say, embedded Youtube.

49. Oz the Magnificent says:

Oh-ho, those jolly guys at GSC bringing us another Stalker game which quite misses whole bloody point again.

We, the players, do not want the story. We already know it! C-consciousness and all that. But we want an open ended, anomaly hunting-selling game which must be chock full of guns and ammo we could find at the cold war europe, from both sides. Hell, this is what the devs should do in the first place. I mean is it that hard? code an api where we, the users, can mess with the inventory and can add weapons and anomalies to our whim. And you, the devs, can cook up a code which uses random drops from this item database.

But oh no… we have dwarves and vampires and snorks which can be read as a metaphor for bunnies.

50. Jetsetlemming says:

Ok, refreshing got it to load (after some ad for an army competition of some sort, which is mildly confusing). Didn’t run nearly as bad here as on dtoid, either.
    And yeah, that was a horrible trailer. Christ, they need someone with some video skill.