Blur Power Up Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2009 at 12:00 pm.

Hmm, Bizarre Creations do rather seem hyped-up about their new racer, Blur, which features a kind of real world street-racing system with science-fictional power-ups. In this trailer they explain some of effects, such as a “shunt” energy ram (aka red turtle shell?), a nitro, and an EMP blast. All these allow players to have more influence on the outcome of the race than mere driving skills would allow. Anyway, go take a look.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heliocentric says:

So its mario kart but the cars look real? Or is it more like wipeout with normal cars? What i mean is, are the weapons/items better when you are behind and how much of an impact do they have.

I’m gonna be wanting a demo but this does sound good, driving games can suffer when there is a right way to play which you know right at the start. But if you need to dodge a missile/technogubbins then the optimal racing line isn’t

2. Tei says:

^^ what heliocentric say.

3. LewieP says:

See, I feel funny about this one.

I have utterly loved Geometry Wars and The Club, but I don’t like realistic racing games, so I am not sure how I am supposed to feel about this.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

4. Schaulustiger says:

This looks like almost guaranteed multiplayer fun. It does have mutliplayer, doesn’t it? *Crosses-fingers* All I can find on their page is a video of a 4-player splitscreen session, but no info about LAN/online mode.

5. JuJuCam says:

The shunt effect was the first thing I thought of when they mentioned power-ups with physical effects. Strategic deployment of a shunt could prove brutal ie before a hairpin turn to launch the opposition clean off the track.

I’m imagining Burnout with futuretech weaponry. Less predictable effects than Mario Kart due to the physics modelling etc. Could be fun. Only thing that puts me off is the sparkly powerup effects. I’d prefer more current day setting and probably a pre-race loadout mechanism rather than pick up off the track. More akin to the likes of Death Rally.

If ever a franchise was due for modernisation… I wonder who owns the rights to Death Rally anyhow?

6. mandrill says:

@Schaulustiger: Oh come on! This is 2009, of course it has onine and lan multiplayer. I’m presuming that it will have a PC release since its on a PC gaming blog, and you don’t see many split screen multiplayer PC games.

7. Heliocentric says:

Toca 3 had perfect split screen, but since that the pickings have been slim.

8. ChaosSmurf says:

That was the most ridiculously british game trailer I’ve ever seen. Approval rating is high.

9. Optimaximal says:

I’m impressed they’ve managed to get the licenses for all the real-world car models, but I’m disappointed with just 5 (announced?) power-ups…
    I know the key too everything is the physics engine, but Mario Kart’s trump card was variety… Shunt seems to be just the Green Shell, as you have to target it, although being just a bolt of lightning, I doubt it’s going to bounce around the track for ages and catch someone (possibly even the firer) unawares… Also, can you target behind you?
    Where’s the equivalent too the Red Shell & Invincibility?

I’m also assuming the cars can’t hop, so where’s the skill in jumping over targeted power ups?

As much as I want this game to be good, I can’t help but feel it’s going to be limited and half-baked, pretty much like The Club was.

10. TotalBiscuit says:

Unrealistic powerups, in my Bizarre Creations pseudo-sim?

TEN BUCKS ONLY

11. Schaulustiger says:

@mandrill: Trine taught me that even in 2009 some developers seem to think that local multiplayer is totally sufficient.

12. Turin Turambar says:

So… they make a trailer to show that their new racing game has power ups. Oh my god, that’s totally new! powerups in a racing game!

13. Paul says:

Holy shit, but WHAT ARE THE POWERUPS!

I NEVER HEARD OF THOSE!

14. brulleks says:

I love the look on her face when she says ‘…give the choice back to the gamer and empower them.’

It’s almost as if she realises how much PR bullshit she’s spillling out…

15. medwards says:

Did noone else notice the references to ‘level 1′ abilities and cars? Worth following up on, but that implies a progression system, but how it plays out is obviously not covered.

16. Javaguy says:

I’m worried about Blur. I have little doubt that it’ll, at the very least, be “good” but I do wonder how well it’ll sell. It seems to have an image problem, really. Sim racing players will be turned away by the powerups wheras more casual fans of games such as Mariokart might be put off by the inclusion of real world cars & such.

I do hope that doesn’t happen but if they don’t release a demo I think they might have trouble getting this to sell.

17. Sunjammer says:

So it’s Project Gotham meets Mario Kart. INNOVATION

18. TotalBiscuit says:

Haha yes let’s hurf and durf over how terrible this game will be, because y’know, Bizarre Creations are known for making bad racing games.

Your cynicism just makes you look foolish, since it’s more of a case of ‘let’s nitpick and find something to bash’ than any real constructive criticism.

19. Sunjammer says:

I’m not knocking Bizarre’s ability to make a great racing game. I’m sure this’ll play wonderfully. It’s weird hearing them talk about adding powerups as part of their game-changing plan, when that’s been done since forever.

20. Javaguy says:

In their defence powerups are seldom seen in games with Real Cars and an actual physics engine.

Flatout UC had a mode with powerups, actually, and that was hillarious.

And, yeah, as TotalBiscuit said- this is Bizarre Creations. They know what they’re doing :D