Siren, Soldier, Hunter, Brick

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2009 at 2:59 pm.

The latest Borderlands trailer is turgid with game footage: terrain, buildings, vehicles, bad-dudes, ‘splosions. It also takes an opportunity to introduce the four characters, with the soldier seemingly being all about guns, the siren doing stealth and area-of-effect stuff (possibly?), the hunter doing headshots, and Brick having some bolt-encrusted fists. Four-player co-op is the new two-player co-op, it seems. And I’m firmly in the pro camp on that art style. I even wrote an article about it.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CMaster says:

Now that one makes the game look pretty good.

2. Professor says:

I gotta say, the graphics do look fantastic.

3. aruwen says:

haha, looks fun enough to try in 4p coop.

And I first thought i heard the heavy from TF2 speaking in the beginning ;)

4. pignoli says:

“If videogames want to be taken seriously as art, then they need to be art.”

This is absolutely spot-on, Jim. Fuck all these grey-brown occupants of uncanny valley constantly pushed upon us in some ludicrous drive to ape reality. Lets have more bravery in artistic direction. If games are art, they need to be created by the ‘artists’ not by way of taking said artists vision and twisting it into a game. The art should be the game itself, not merely a precursor to it. Let them have control and tell them to go nuts.

5. wesley says:

The more I see of this, the more I gape and drool a bit.

And I don’t even play FPSes.

The art style, trailers and all-around personality of this title is a huge WIN. I hope they make bucketloads of cash.

6. MunnyFan says:

What’s the deal with those censored-flags?
    Are they just there because there’s no age verification at the beginning?
    That would be kind of stupid, if the game is aimed at a mature audience, anyway.

7. Schmung says:

This looks like a hoot.

8. The Hammer says:

Oh wow. That was a pretty entertaining trailer. I DEFINITELY think I’ll be partaking in some of this, when it comes out. Looks love.

9. Some Guy says:

i hope the cencor things are not in the game.

10. Jim Rossignol says:

I’m pretty sure that’s just trailer silliness. It does seem to be super-imposed on the footage.

11. Sonic Goo says:

“some ludicrous drive to ape reality.”

I wouldn’t mind a game set in ape reality. :)

12. Waneta says:

I’m working really hard not to get my expectations up for this game, everything I see (especially the Quentin Tarantino-ish trailer) makes it look awesome. My hope is it will be what Hellgate should have been. My fear is it will be what Hellgate ended up being.

13. ChampionHyena says:

I can only be so skeptical in the face of so much unadulterated awesome.

14. rei says:

I got some faint Firefly vibes from that. I enjoyed it.

15. nine says:

any idea what’s the first song?

16. Vinraith says:

Any word on whether, say, 2p co-op works out alright? If I’m going to play co-op to I HAVE to dredge up three other people with the game? Because that’s likely to be a problem.

17. Jim Bob says:

the song is by cage the elephant

18. Jim Rossignol says:

As I understand it the campaign can be played single player, and other people simply join your campaign (up to three more) for increased carnage. I may be wrong. however.

19. Griffinheart says:

That’s the first I’ve seen of the game that actually made me want it…

20. Vinraith says:

@Jim Rossignol

And then it would presumably scale like Diablo? That’d be the ideal system from my perspective, so I hope you’re right.

21. Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, the idea is FPS Diablo, I think. At least I hope it pans out like that.

22. Vinraith says:

@Jim Rossignol

Me too. If it does it’s certainly going to be a fast purchase for me, possibly one of the few full-price buys I’ll make this fall.

You’ve been busy for a Saturday, btw. It’s nice to have some substantial reading on a weekend!

23. Junior says:

I’m getting excited about this, I’ve been hankering for something to scratch that Diablo itch.

24. Matt says:

I see 0 emotion in the characters faces, looks a little amateurish from that perspective

25. TotalBiscuit says:

@Matt why the hell would you ever be looking at the character’s face? This isn’t Second Life.

26. Tei says:

OH NOES, It seems I have to pre-order this :-( :-) :-/ :-I :-D

27. Heliosicle says:

I WANT SNIPER MAN.

and this game.

28. suibhne says:

“Lillith WON’T be allowed to join my game however unless she can start looking like she gives a damn, or she’s having fun, or anything other than botox face really.”

Yeah, her face definitely looks a lot more…drugged-out or even catatonic than the others. I hope they each have some ‘tude, honestly. Part of L4D’s appeal is the personalities of the four characters, even if they’re pretty limited, and it would be nice to get a similar connection here. Otoh, I’m pretty sure Pitchford said in a past interview that these four are only archetypes, and that we’ll be able to choose to customize those archetypes a bit for our own gameplay. Seems like they might be an odd mixture of “characters” and “classes”, so I’m interested to see how this ends up.

29. Bobsy says:

Hmmm. Thing is, my interest vu-meter wobbles precariously the more unsure I get about character customisation. I’ve been working under the assumption that you can pretty much make your character your own, but am plagued with doubts by the media Gearbox have been releasing, which all feature the exact same characters over and over.

30. Nick says:

Hey guys if anybody wants to join a team email me your xbox live account name to XxTeamBorderlandsxX@yahoo.com and you will be added to our team list. You’ll be given all the teams live accounts and be introduced to many players. Its free and anybody can join. And yes I gotta say the art style is pretty F*n amazing. This game is like the perfect game that I’ve always wanted. Thanks for reading hope to see you soon and happy gaming.. Peace.

31. Nick says:

Hey guys if anybody wants to join a team email me your xbox live account name to XxTeamBorderlandsxX@yahoo.com and you will be added to our team list. You’ll be given all the teams live accounts and be introduced to many players. Its free and anybody can join. And yes I gotta say the art style is pretty amazing. This game is like the perfect game that I’ve always wanted. Thanks for reading hope to see you soon and happy gaming.. Peace.

32. TheJimTimMan says:

I seem to remember there being a claim that the co-op would be cross-platform. Any word on this still being the case, or such been dropped for the final version?

33. Vinraith says:

Xbox/PC cross platform? Uh oh, does that mean this is a “Games for Windows Live” title?

34. Nick says:

Gosh darn it.

35. Quine says:

Any word on split-screen co-op? Is it in? Does it work?

Might have to try and wire a couple of PS3s together somehow for some 3-4 player action if that’s possible. Can you do local crosslink stuff or would it be via a central server?

36. Quine says:

Sorry- forgot this was a PC-centric place for a moment there.

As you were…

37. Gabanski83 says:

Dunno why, but the article image up there at the top made me think of this:

I love my brick.

38. Vinraith says:

A GfWL label means this goes from a day one purchase to something I pick up when it drops to 50% MSRP or below. Damn.

39. Guy says:

Filthy pelvic thrusts are awesome.

40. Nick says:

Yeah.. all games need a pelvic thrust button.

41. Michael Hughes says:

Yo Jim, it is not a Games for Windows title, thankfully. This was confirmed by one Brad Shoemaker of giantbomb.com fame on the Giant Bombcast a few weeks ago, as well as in this write-up: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/fine-im-playing-borderlands-on-a-pc/1671/

42. Wooly says:

TotalBiscuit says:

“@Matt why the hell would you ever be looking at the character’s face?”

And in the game, too!

43. Low Quality Beard says:

I’ve heard this game has no character customization and all the item drops are weapons, not armor or accessories, is this true?

44. Vinraith says:

@Michael Hughes

That’s very good to hear, thanks for the information!

@Low Quality Beard

IIRC there are shield pick-ups and other “enhancements” though I don’t know details. I have no idea about character customization, though suibhne’s post above seems to indicate that there will at least be a little.

45. Arca says:

@Vinraith:
    Well it’s already over half way there (28~29% off) on Amazon and Play.com! :P

46. Vinraith says:

@Arca

Fortunately it’s apparently not GfWL after all, so my statement no longer applies. That said, discounts are always welcome! I might pre-order off Amazon once the release gets a bit closer.

47. l1ddl3monkey says: