Grapple-chute Express: Just Cause 2 Verticality

By Jim Rossignol on September 14th, 2009 at 8:22 am.

Videogames were always meant to be ludicrous, and Just Cause 2 captures the spirit of the insane quite perfectly with its absurd hyperbolic action sequences. As if being able to base-jump over a kilometer wasn’t enough, the game’s fundamental mechanisms – a grapple and a parachute – can be used together to create a consistent and instant option for getting vertical. Check it out below.

, , .

1. abigbat says:

I’m really looking forward to this. The first game was a blast and this just looks ridiculous.

2. TheBlackBandit says:

I couldn’t get the first game… Really, really didn’t like it. The lockon felt like cheating, and the control map seemed a bit wonky. I hope I’m impressed by this, and it looks like I might be.

3. Legionary says:

Just Cause is one of those games, like Saints Row, where the developer’s first thought has been “how can we make this fun?”

Compare and contrast to other AAA titles that ask “how can we make this realistic?”

4. Turin Turambar says:

The first game was a boring game, the gunplay and the AI were underwhelming. I hope they have improved these aspects, instead of only just better graphics and more “verticality”.

5. Greg Wild says:

Pointless commentary is pointless.

In game stuff was nice though :D

6. MD says:

Wooo

No way my computer will be able to run this, but if they nail the feel it’ll be top of my ‘games to buy in case of upgrade’ list.

7. -Spooky- says:

*need more open world sandbox stuff*

8. RogB says:

strange bug where his arse flashes when firing on a parachute..
    game looks good fun (ditto the Saints Row 2 comment above. a game I should really hate, but couldnt help liking because it was FUN)
    im looking forward to it.

9. Ian says:

Might need to use this as an excuse to beef up my graphics card because that looks shiny.

Either way, if this isn’t at least as joyous as the original I might cry a bit.

10. duel says:

MAN explains fundamental game concepts

FLOAT: with your parachute
    SEE: your enemy’s (like ants)
    MOVE: with your parachute
    SHOOT: from your parachute

11. jti says:

Mmmmm, tasty!

12. Inanimotioon says:

Dang that’s a young game dev right there.
    Jealous.

13. DarkNoghri says:

Figures that I forget to sign the email on the one thing I send you guys that you actually post.

14. DarkNoghri says:

I might add that this looks quite bonkers and hilariously fun.

15. Kits says:

This is the type of mad stuff games were always meant to be. I hope it turns out as fun as it looks because I can’t help getting excited just watching it.

16. Pod says:

So it’s a realisitic military sim then? Woot.

17. MD says:

But does it have Dynamic Paper?

18. Waste_Manager says:

I love the zooming in shots to “BORING LOOKING DEVELOPER MANS FACE”

19. Heliocentric says:

This feels like the bionic commando game should have been.

20. Schaulustiger says:

I almost know that this game isn’t gonna be as much fun as it looks in all the trailers.

Well, I can still dream…

21. Kitt Basch says:

I wonder what sound it makes when you hit the ground from that height. Is it a raspberry type splat, a squelch, or a crunch?

22. Jeremy says:

This looks silliness and craziness all rolled up in awesome. I hope there’s enough missions and things to give me stuff to do, though. I always think sandbox games will be fun, but then I get bored not having a goal.

23. Mal says:

While they should be commended for their focus on fun, I think I’ve just realised why I can never really get excited about quite a lot of modern games – I have absolutely no aspiration or desire to be a soldier – be it in something like this or a serious effort like Call of Duty or Splinter Cell. I’d much rather tool around as a genetically enhanced policeman (eg Crackdown) or a scientist (Half Life) even if the gameplay is otherwise fundamentally similar.

24. Ravenger says:

I tried the original Just Cause demo, found you couldn’t re-bind the keys away from WASD, and immediately uninstalled it.

I hope they don’t make such a basic mistake this time.

25. Clovis says:

@Kitt Basch: I’m thinking more of a “FOOMP” kind of noise. At that speed it would be like dropping a bucket of bricks on the ground. The body would ‘splode of course, but that squishy sound should be overshadowed by the ground impact noise. Also, I’m completely making this up.

26. Jason Lefkowitz says:

I love the bit where the one developer says they feel like they nailed the feeling of horizontal travel in the first Just Cause, because they totally didn’t. Cars in that game handled like Zambonis. Not encouraging to see that they look back on that with satisfaction.

27. cdm says:

Honestly the first game was utter rubbish; a 4th rate GTA clone, moronically easy and tragically boring.

Complete waste of nice engine.

28. Meatloaf says:

Impressive, to an extent. I’ll have to keep my eye on it.

Also, that man’s name is Magnus Nedfors.

29. Heliosicle says:

Pretty game is purty.

Also looks awesome.

30. Marcin says:

So glad they figured out what the best part of the first game was – getting around the island – and enhanced that. Couldn’t care less if the combat is as braindead as in the first game – it never felt like the focus of the thing anyway.

I hope you can take over the entire island again. It’s ridiculous how much completionist satisfaction I got from that.

I want it NOW. When’s it come out again?

31. Christian says:

@Ravenger:

Yes, the demo did that. And it was horrible.

But the full game allowed you to rebind the keys and everything, so they just did a really bad job with the demo.

I’m buying this, and I guess I won’t even care what the reviewers say. Except if they say one thing: “Quicktime events”. If it has those, no thanks.

32. Marcin says:

@Christian: sadly, I saw some previews that had QTEs for some of the carjacking. I already vented on that thread and got over it :/ Will still be picking it up, I guess it just means I won’t be jacking cars all that often! :P

Then again, seeing this helicopter jacking makes me wonder if perhaps they came up with a sorta-QTE that is actually fun and makes sense(i.e. actually having to shoot the canopy to get the pilot to ah, abandon ship)? One can hope they’ll do something similar for carjacking.

33. l1ddl3monkey says:

I’m guessing the developers listen to a lot of RAAAAAAAAWK!!!

34. Ybfelix says:

I like those two devs, as they don’t throw around “we really” “a lot” like other dev in “interviews” style trailers do, just speaking like normal people. Also they don’t interrupt a nice sequence with their talking head.

35. Rei Onryou says:

That game just keeps looking sweeter. RPS will have a field day of this…

36. Ace says:

All the trailers make this out to be the big draw of the game. There is more to games than jumping off of high buildings *cough*assassinscreed*cough*

I guess I’ll just be here pining away for HL2EP3.

37. Vinraith says:

My concern, based on that trailer, is that the gameplay seems a little TOO dependent on the grapple/parachute dynamic. I can see that being fun in reasonable doses, but I don’t want it to be the key to combat, and it kind of looks like it is.

I hope that’s not the case, as a crazed open world shooter is always a good thing IMO.