Revolution Action: Gridrunner Revolution Imminent

By Kieron Gillen on September 15th, 2009 at 7:36 pm.

Hello ALT text readers. How are you today? I am well.

We haven’t talked about Jeff Minter’s new game in a while. When it was still being called Gridrunner+++, we made it one of our Unknown Pleasures for 2009. It’s since been re-named Gridrunner Revolution and is inching closer to its release date. You’ll be able to get it from the 25th and review code is starting to distribute. First to actually talk about it is head Retroremakes bob Oddbob who explains why this is looking like a really interesting shooter. More after I’ve had a bit more time with the code, but until then, here’s some footage of the game in action…

Firstly, in the Korma difficulty mode, which is equivalent to easy.

And this is the Vindaloo difficulty mode, which is equivalent to hard.

There’s also Phaal above that, which is proper mental, both as a difficulty level in the game and as a way to eat your curry.

Two final points:
1) I almost lobbed the Revolution Action video by ATR here, but someone would have probably have taken offence. Boo!
2) Doing this post with the smell of curry wafting throughout my house is a synaesthetic joy.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. LewieP says:

Looks like it is full of the Llamasoft charm I’d want and expect.

Space Giraffe being misunderstood by so many people was a real shame.

2. Pseudonym says:

I’m well too Kieron, thanks for asking.

3. Pundabaya says:

Though I did like the use ofTthe KLF ‘Mu Mu!’ sample, but thats just cos I really miss The KLF.

4. Lambchops says:

Those poor sheep, how dare someone launch those poor defenceless creatures into such a world.

5. Harbour Master says:

I’ll link it for you Kieron. “Everybody’s losing their faces!”

6. Pi says:

“I didn’t misunderstand it… it was a pile of shite. There was no way to misunderstand it’s brown, stinky nature.”

You, good sir, are wrong! And on the internet to boot! What would your mother think, her child being wrong on the internet? I think I’ll ask her tonight!

http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=593 <- Here is my own take on Space Giraffe.

7. LewieP says:

If we’re playing the “I reviewed Space Giraffe and saw how brilliant it was game” then here is mine:

8. Surgeon says:

Looks like a surefire recipe for head banana meltdown.

9. phlebas says:

No grid!

10. Pundabaya says:

Man, so many people so wrong in the head.

I think Space Giraffe is the only game I’ve ever played where, not only did I hate it, but I couldn’t see the appeal at all. I can see why someone would enjoy Champ Manager, ARMA and Flight Simulator, even if I would never ever play them in a million years. But Space Giraffe…

I have a theory. Space Giraffe is an objectively terrible game, however, its trippy visuals cause hypnosis/some sort of seizure, that in turn causes euphoria.

See comments like ‘I played for a while and then something clicked in my head’ and the fact that no-one who likes the game has ever been able to adequately describe what makes it good.

Anyway, Minter? An auteur? Rip-off artist that specialised in making big-head modes for other peoples games more like. Now Mel Croucher… he’s an auteur.

11. noTHINGface says:

Where’s the grid?! Looks great, I’m buying, Im not a Pundabaya.

12. LeFishy says:

Space Giraffe hate makes me sad. Ok so it wasn’t great but it genuinely did “just click” for a lot of people. I understand it didn’t for others but I guess it is like rolling your tongue. Some people can do it some people can’t. I don’t tell people they are wrong for not being able to roll their tongue even though I can. People do seem to abuse me for being left handed though so maybe that is just my good nature.

Gridrunner++ is one of my favourite games so this should be fantastic.

13. Pod says:

Why does Jeff Minter hate my ability to process images so much?

• Malibu Stacey says:

Because he makes games which are so awesome that when you try to screenshot them it’s like trying to freeze lightning?

14. Kieron Gillen says:

Pundabaya: I think you should try and read some of the stuff people have written. Campbell takes it apart mechanistically pretty well, I thought.

KG

15. maple story hack says:

Nothing wrong with this anyway.

16. Paul Moloney says:

I suppose one’s opinion of Minter is based on whether you think he (a) updates old classics with a refreshingly British/Pythonesque/Goonish twist or (b) remakes old games by slapping on a running joke that’s been running too long and was never very funny in the first place.

P.

17. RobF says:

Thing is, Croucher hasn’t done anything in what? 22 years or something? Bit of an unfair comparison as much as I respect the guys output.

I am eternally fascinated by how his view on games has sort of come back into vogue with large wads of the indie scene though but I guess we’re destined to keep reinventing the wheel at times. Feels like your teenage son coming up and saying he’s just invented a new thing, it’s called Rock N Roll, bless.

As for Space Giraffe, didn’t click with me – I got it from the off (slight powerzone confusion due to tutorial aside). Maybe I’m a freak but years of playing arcade games meant it posed no trouble. I blatted through it again recently after a near 2 year gap of playing and it still amazes me how much it constantly mixes it up right up to the final stage. Even in Nuxx mode which sorta breaks it for me a bit (ok, a lot!), it’s still a cracking game.

I didn’t really touch on this too much in my write up but Gridrunner Revolution is an oddly schizophrenic game. I’d be loathe to say “unique” because I fear there might be something missing in my knowledge bank that someone will go “aha, it’s like -this-” and I’d look a total tool (well, more so than normal). Each level has two halves, a sort of defensive half first and an aggressive half second yet weirdly the defensive half is more intense than the aggressive one. Hard to explain!

There’s also the thing that the first two difficulty levels are almost casual in nature, you can drift through them pretty easily but come the final two difficulty levels and you’re into a proper arcade blaster territory. This shit shouldn’t work, it sorta does though.

Ultimately, I like it. There was a time early on in development when I couldn’t see it turning out as well as it did, but the niggles I mentioned in my piece aside, I’m really impressed with how it turned out both from my eternal fascination with taking apart game elements to see how they work brain-isms and as someone who enjoys things that wot explode in pretty colours.

18. Dominic White says:

I’ve noticed that among the people who didn’t like Space Giraffe, there seemed to be a hardcore group of people who took it as a personal insult, and a reason to declare war on Minter himself.

I’ve seen mass raids on his livejournal and hate-mail thrown around (both at him, and at me for not hating it/him either) over that game. Some people just seem unable to just disilke something like a normal human being. Hell, I can’t stand the entire football management genre, but I don’t go screaming at the people who like it.

19. richmcc says:

The review code press pack for this is genuinely wonderful. Real wool! Real brown, slightly smelly wool!

20. Bhazor says:

Doesn’t look as good a revamp as Space Invaders Xtreme or Pacman Anniversary Edition. But Minter’s not done me wrong so I’ll stay optimistic for this.

21. theALLseeingEYE says:

Can’t say I agree with you there Bhazor, I love both Space Invaders Xtreme and Pacman Anniversary Edition, to me, this looks like something special.

Could be the bullet gravity mechanic, but I’m a big fan of Minter’s games, so i suppose I assume there will also be an excellent underlying depth to the gameplay. Can’t wait for this to come out, only 7 days now :)

22. solipsistnation says:

Anonymous Coward said:

I recall a post where he was saying something about how a port of Frogger had out-sold Space Giraffe and he was pretty mystified and not very happy about that. That triggered a lot of Angry Internet Man freakout action on his LJ, and he deleted the post and all comments pretty quickly. I suspect people are still unhappy about that, although, you know, he has a point. (I don't know if anyone mentioned that Frogger was sold as a pack-in with a joystick controller, or if that counted as sales… I suspect it did count but that nobody mentioned it.)

• Dominic White says:

If I remember right, he wasn’t even mystified. More annoyed and depressed because he had put months/years of genuine effort into Space Giraffe, and it sold only a tiny fraction of what Frogger did, which wasn’t even a port – it was just the original arcade ROM slapped into an emulator. A five-minute job. That, and Frogger wasn’t even that good a game back in the old days, and has aged badly. Points I definitely agree with.

Sure, gimme Space Invaders, but Frogger? Bah.

• Tei says:

Is something strange to get sad at. Everybody know frogger, so, obviusly is a powerfull brand. Your (new and unknom) game has not gags in the Seinfield series about it :-). And to add to that, theres the nostalgia. WTFLOL. Is like making a new puzzle game and geting sad because sells less than Tetris?

• Dominic White says:

It’s more proof that you can make big bucks simply but slapping an old arcade game in an emulator and calling it a port, and if that isn’t sad, I don’t know what is.

23. Malibu Stacey says:

Will be buying this if (when) it’s on Steam at a decent price.
    I’d have Space Giraffe by now if it wasn’t £15 on Steam. Call me a gaming snob (or a cheapskate) if you like but games like this would’ve been £3/£4 from the local WH Smiths when I were a lad compared to £10/£12 for “full price” games. If they drop the price to between £5 and £10 I’d be much more inclined to purchase it (hence my Steam account having tons of ‘indie’ games such as Braid, Defence Grid, World of Goo which by no coincidence have been on sale or were priced ‘competitively’ in the last 6 months).

I love Gridrunner++ & I’d get a Jaguar again just to play Tempest 2000 (and even Hovver Bovver 2 has its charms). More games please Mr Minter!

Comment on this story