Hooray For Piracy: Free’n'Cheap Monkey Isles

By Alec Meer on September 17th, 2009 at 10:49 pm.

It’s Talk Like A Pirate Day on Saturday. If memes ad nauseum wind you up, that may be a good day to take a break from the internet. Unless, however, you’re really into free and cheap point’n'click adventure games. Oh, you’re listening now, aren’t you? Me hearty.

Specifically, Telltale and LucasArts have realised it’s a useful bit of promotional piggybacking for their relaunch of the Monkey Island series. Telltale have cannily bought playlikeapirate.com, whose initial purpose will be to serve up free copies of the first episode of Tales Of Monkey Island. Hold your seahorses, though – that particular offer isn’t active until Midnight (that’s GMT – it’s 4pm PST) on the 19th of September. But once that happens, hurry those damned seahorses, cos they start charging for it again the next day.

Telltale’s Monkey Island episodes have proven somewhat divisive, but enough people seem well-pleased to make this worth shouting about. It’s also quite the turn around from Telltale’s troubling initial ploy to only sell the episodes as a pre-order for the entire season, rather than individually. Come Saturday, you can make a pretty good call as to whether doing that’s worthwhile.

While you wait, there are two things you can do. Well, three, but you know we can’t talk about That Thing You’re Into in public. First, go gander at a lunatic What If? video made by Telltale fans, going into what might happen in the upcoming third Monkey-tale, Lair Of The Leviathan. I like it much more than the episodes themselves BECAUSE I AM HORRIBLE AND MADE OF HATE.

Secondly, you could buy the recent Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition remake thinger for half-price on Steam – that’s £3.49, but only until 21st September. And if you own one of the Eye-Telephone Or Touch-My-Eye’s-Pod devices, you can also get the handheld version of the remake for similarly halved-price. That’s £2.39, or whatever the equivalent is in your ridiculous foreign currency.

So yeah. Pirates’n'that. Have fun, landlubbers.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Vinraith says:

Yeah, I cracked like a cheap pinata and bought Secret of Monkey Island. I’d been holding off, not for lack of interest (I deeply regret having missed the original, I would have been old enough to play it at the time) but because the maelstrom of great game sales this year (coupled with RPS constantly bringing new and interesting things to my attention) has left me with a giant pile of stuff I haven’t played yet.

Come to think of it, it’s a nice problem to have. :)

2. Suman1083 says:

Wow that’s great news! I have been meaning to pick up the first episode, but was a bit apprehensive about paying a full season for it. Also for those who have yet to play the remake, it is a must buy considering it is half-off. Both the PC and IPhone versions are just fantastic.

3. A-Scale says:

Never again, Telltale. Not even when cheap. You broke-a my heart.

4. Heliocentric says:

I’m not going to be able to download the game during the window due to tardy installations. So hurrah to stupid time windows.

5. Xocrates says:

I would definitely jump at this opportunity.

Except, you know, I already own all those games.

6. Heliocentric says:

I wish i could buy the originals. Not remakes with crippled functionality and unsuited voice acting.
    But apparently there are enough of the idiots in lucasarts who decided the full throttle sequel was a bad idea (and other general lucas arts stupidity) still employed there.

• A-Scale says:

Did you SEE the video for the FT remake? It was an awful brawler POS with no feeling left over from the first game. It would have been a disaster of epic proportions.

• Vinraith says:

I was under the impression that the new “Secret” package allowed you to revert it to the original game graphics, sounds etc. Am I wrong about that?

• TCM says:

You’re not wrong, unless everybody on the internet has conspired to lie about it.

• g-eJ says:

You’re not wrong. Maybe Heliocentric is the antidote to your overwhelming positivity Vinraith :P. What would happen if I put a 250ml glass with 125ml of water in it between you two?

7. Andytizer says:

Is there any chance that this deal will go through on Steam? Because that’s the only platform I’m particularly interested in getting it from, and there isn’t anything indicating that it is/isn’t going to be there.

8. Knight Of Cydonia says:

I imagine it’ll be a serial key giveaway, which should be usable on Steam. If it isn’t, I’ll cry harder than Vinraith when people mention System Shock 2 and Bioshock in the same paragraph.

• Heliocentric says:

I know, but its still missing functionality. Press the period key (“.”) in the original it skipped one sentence of dialogue, they broke that, what else? Also, its scum right? So it can be recalled by memory states.

• Vinraith says:

Err, huh? I liked Bioshock, and sadly never got a chance to play System Shock 2.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Comment waterworks. Just tried putting the e-mailed serial into Steam & it won’t take it unfortunately.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Err that should be commence not comment. Still no edit function!

9. Xocrates says:

@Heliocentric: You do know that if you buy the MI:SE you can play the original version once you start and ignore the new stuff altogether, right?

10. Blather Blob says:

Telltale have their own store, with accounts and purchased games lists and everything, so it seems unlikely that they’d use anything else. But who knows, that one free Sam & Max episode is also free on Steam.

11. lumpi says:

Harrr… You can get Sam & Max s01e04 forrrrr frrrreee (legarrrrly) alrrrrrready… but well marrrrrrketed.

12. Clovis says:

Aaaaargh! I just paid $10 on this like 2 weeks ago to buy it through WiiWare. I know there was a lot of complaints about moving, but that part went really smoothly on the wii with the nunchuk thumbstick. The frame rate wasn’t quite as smooth though…

13. jalf says:

Sweet, guess that’s my cue for buying the remake!

14. alm says:

Hey, if you want to feel happy there’s only one way to do it.

*breathes in deep*

“Always look on the….”

*gets shot*

15. MD says:

No confidence in this, but at $0 it’s worth a try! Bit of a burn on those who already shelled out for it though…

16. Aftershock says:

Wow, new layout. Fantabulous.

Also, the antlion thingummy was bloody hilarious.

17. Diji says:

Touch-My-Eye’s-Pod

I laughed harder than I should have at this.
    Might get the remade Monkey Island now that it’s half price, too.

18. Mike says:

Hang on. Haaaang on. They’re free? Copies of the game are free? Permanently, or free for that day?

• Pod says:

* Get complete first chapter of the epic 5-episode adventure. Free one day only. If swallowed, induce vomiting.

from the playlikeapirate site.

19. l1ddl3monkey says:

I work with a woman who has a glass eye. Someone suggested we do fancy dress for a charity event we have coming up and without thinking I suggested Pirates and then said “You’d look good in an eye patch”.

Mind you, it’s not as bad as that time that I asked if she ever lets her husband pop it out and [CENSORED].

20. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

It’s free! Why wouldn’t you give it a go? If only to get as far as the puzzle pictured at the top, which is one of the cleverest and funniest puzzles in the whole Monkey Island series.

21. Dean says:

They should have done this from the start. If they’re only selling by season, let the free ‘demo’ be the first episode, and build up hype for the rest of them.

22. psyk says:

So anyone manage to download this?

23. IdleThreatsandBadPoetry says:

I downloaded it, I started playing. I have to bring it down to 640×480 to play it on highest detail, but with all that fancy graphical stuff, it looks as pretty as full motion video. I played the original briefly on a friend’s computer years back, so I don’t have any emotional attachment to it. I’ve been using ASDF to control it which works fine for me. My main frustration so far is how, in spite of their being different dialog options for theconversations, in some of those conversations the options DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING. Guybrush doesn’t even say what I choose, and of course there’s no reaction from the other character. How was no one complained about this?

Comment on this story