ZMMombies: Dead Frontier – Outbreak

By Jim Rossignol on September 18th, 2009 at 1:55 pm.

Yep, Dead Frontier: Outbreak – a texty spin off from Dead Frontier – is live. The main top-down zombie MMO (also reached from that page, is free to play, too. Outbreak is apparently “the first of a 5-part series of zombie survival adventures that will be released over the course of the next 12 months.” The text adventure is fun, and the MMO itself is quite lo-fi, and browser-based, but that shouldn’t stop you getting a kick of our trying to stay alive in a zombie-infested apocalypse. I mean, that’s just a day at the office for most of us, right?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Rinox says:

I think zombies would be an upgrade from my colleagues, honestly.

Other than that…more zombie games? I mean, zombies are cool and all, but we must be reaching a saturation point right?

2. CMaster says:

I’m sure there was already a brower-based zombie MMO ages ago, a few of my friends were playing it.

Not that this one couldn’t be better and all, was just wondering if anyone knew what it was.

3. Andrew says:

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how they could call a text adventure an MMO :(

4. Jockie says:

I tried this a while back and it was quite confusing and difficult to know what you were supposed to do. Plus I didn’t see any other players at all, I’m not really sure how the MMO part of it works.

Maybe it’s been tightened up since I gave it a go, but it wasn’t a fun-time.

5. Srejv says:

It’s text based? Looks like a top-down to me. :/

6. Owen says:

Hi Jim. Can I just point out that I think the link should be this http://fairview.deadfrontier.com/onlinezombiemmo/

The one you gave seems to be a mini-text adventure rather than the MMO side, which requires a login etc.

Owen

7. -F. says:

Maybe he was talking about Urban Dead, which is text-based and quite fun if you’ve got a nice group.

Still, Kingdom of Loathing is text-based, and as far as I’m concerned it’s the best mmo ever.

8. Ian says:

I haven’t tried the MMO yet but I played the text adventure. First survival I got (spoilers) no wife survived (I smashed her head in with a sledgehammer), tactics A (I survived by, mostly, taking no chances) and compassion B (what, you didn’t see what I did to the wife?)

9. Owen says:

Heh, I like how the Journalist character starts with $50 extra! There was me thinking they were all poor low paid souls, forced to make a tin of baked beans last 3 days. Whereas clearly, they’re rich!

• Ian says:

He must be a review journo, because of all the bribes they take from THE MAN!(!!)

10. Cpt_Chaos says:

“I think zombies would be an upgrade from my colleagues, honestly.”
    ROFL. Best comment evar. And sadly so true :-(

11. Neil Y says:

I’m afraid you’ve got a little muddled up. Dead Frontier is a top down zombie MMO. Dead Frontier: Outbreak is a spin-off mini-series.

12. tapanister says:

Spoiler: here’s how I did

The game gave me a pretty accurate asessment of character tbh. That said, the text adventure was great, the mmo thing… Not so much. It sucked donkey balls actually.

13. ron says:

seems weird to call this an MMO. what you actually get when you try to play is a big list of tiny “games” that have a few people each in them. if this is an MMO then diablo was too :/

14. What says:

Rubbish multiple choice text “game”

15. Jim Rossignol says:

There’s two links there, the text thing and the MMO. The text adventure is new, the MMO is the same, and still free.

16. Nimic says:

Apparently, it’s very likely that I’d survive a real zombie outbreak.

Very few other people would, though.

17. What says:

When zombies attack it will be text

18. Tyshalle says:

The text adventure was pretty lame. Half the time the “right” answer seemed to be arbitrary, and frequently what would seem like the smartest answer would wind up getting you killed because your “character” screwed up somehow.

19. We Fly Spitfires says:

Awesome stuff. How do I get a login? :)

20. Stromko says:

The office building part of it (the beginning) was rather bad since you either a) had no choices that mattered whatsoever, or b) only had one choice, sometimes two, that didn’t kill you and send you back to the beginning. After that, the ‘check points’ came more often and there were more flavor choices that might’ve actually mattered.

I got A for tactics and A for compassion, even though I was pretty cold blooded about my survival. Apparently anything you do to a person that’s either turns out to be a zombie (even if you never find out f they ARE a zombie if you make the right decision to ignore / kill them), someone who is being foolish (abandon the idiots for not being absolutely cautious), or is going to die / turn into a zombie anyway is perfectly fine on the compassion front…

As an adventure game, it’s not great, but it’s kind of neat anyway.

21. Stromko says:

Hah, I replayed and got an A for tactics, but C for compassion. I think it’s because I banded together with my co-workers instead of strangers. Since I had to abandon them, the only other option being guaranteed death, I guess that made me hardened or something.

The jeep part I really don’t understand, it gives you an ‘go off-road’ option later but I can’t see any way to get that jeep without dying. Even if I let my buddies try to clear it out first, somehow I’m still the one that’s dragging the zombies out and getting bitten.

I’d have to agree with Tyshalle here, most of the ‘wrong’ answers are only wrong because the protagonist carries out those apparently logical decisions in a rather foolish way.

22. TisForTat says:

i personally think both the mmorpg and outbreak game are good, i got an A+ on survival skills and a C on compassion the first time then I got an A+ on compassion and a B on survival :P. The mmorpg is ok , but its so ……… hard to get high level equipment without becoming a gold member, buying credits, or doing major loot runs (I make 1.5k-3k on my average loot run not including my profit from the goodies i picked up). What sucks monkey balls is that I can’t get a stupid katana or better without buying it for over 200+ grand or going to long arm territory which i’ve only get out of a third of the time alive (good thing i bought that medium security box hoping to upgrade though). One of the good things about the game is that ammo, food, medicine, and services sell fast, but armor and weapons sell at a painful rate (this is what happens when you have a completely capitalist market :P). So pretty much i like the games and game play, the dead frontier outbreak is only a double dip thing though cuz at that point u should know all the best choices :S.