Naval Razing: Empires Of Steel Beta Demo

By Kieron Gillen on September 21st, 2009 at 4:01 pm.

I see no ship jokes left to say
Are you excited about the forthcoming turn-based wargame from Battlefront? Here’s a chance to continue to be excited (and/or be crushingly disappointed). Are you not aware of it? Here’s a chance to have your expectations created. Are you still reading this paragraph? Well done. The beta demo of Empire of Steel can be downloaded from here. As the name says, it’s beta, so expect issues, but it includes two full maps to play, with no restrictions, and a chance to nose at all the other features. To get a feel for the game, there’s a game footage video below…

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. noom says:

This doesn’t really appeal to me that much.

But I’m feeling fruity so I’m going to download the demo and give it a go.

2. Spoon says:

Never heard of this, but it seems relevant to my interests. Will give it a go.

3. Torgen says:

+1 for tiny little zepps, but looks like something for the Gameboy.

4. bill says:

having your homepage set to a fixed width of 1660px is a little ambitious don’t you think? My brand new laptop only goes up to 1440, and with a sidebar half the content is pushed off the right of the screen. :-(

Only website i’ve ever encountered this issue on…. usually the problem is that they’re too narrow.

5. Vinraith says:

This provokes fond memories of Empire Deluxe from the 90′s. I don’t know how similarly it actually plays, but that alone is reason to check it out in more detail.

6. mujadaddy says:

1:30 in, can’t see anything actually going on when the combat sounds activate.

Skipped to about 8:00. Something’s happening, but the image is too small to see.

:-/

7. Suman1083 says:

I think for most people, this game might be a little too “strategy intensive” for their taste. However if you like these games even the slightest bit the beta could be worth your while.

8. Chaz says:

Did that video really need to be 9 minutes long?

9. Jae Armstrong says:

:o

This looks awesome.

*downloads furiously*

10. PleasingFungus says:

I just burned two and a half hours on this thing before I could force myself to stop. Not entirely sure I enjoyed it, but it tugged at some deep hook in my psyche.

Feels like a more complex version of this, probably, though that link seems to be to some odd pirated/abandoned version. Google, you have failed me! Nonetheless. Apparently’s that’s a variant of Empire, which Vinraith mentioned above, so I’m not the only one who sees the similarity.

11. Thants says:

It doesn’t look turn-based in that video.

12. Kommissar Nicko says:

I’m not sure what the video was trying to tell me, other than 1) my sound is too loud, and 2) games that repeatedly use the sound of a .22 being fired right next to your ears are annoying.

13. jti says:

Read the title, it’s a whole game replay. It shows your game in real-time after you’ve played it. Sort of same thing as Civilization IV has.

14. Pod says:

Do you actually controll anything, or do you just watch?

15. Ginger Yellow says:

I must be doing something wrong. I played through the tutorial, and once I’d finished it crashed. So I started up a proper game and, having failed to find any oil on the islands near me, promptly ran out. I tried to set up a trade agreement with the Nazis (just call me Prescott Bush) , but it didn’t seem to do anything. So I gave up. I’ll give it another shot tonight.

16. math0ne says:

Huge issue, needs to be fixed!

Comment on this story