Fog Of Phwoar: OpFlash Tech Clevers

By Jim Rossignol on September 22nd, 2009 at 4:11 pm.

There’s an element of military titillation in this latest Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising trailer (below), with the development team get a bit hyperbolic about smoke, impact effects, environmental detail and visual feedback for the player in this contemporary soldier game. I’ve seen the game running on PC a couple of times during its development, and it has impressed me each time, particularly with these battlefield smoke effects and other war-grime detail. Also: the dying. There’s a lot of that. Go take a look, anyway, and hopefully we’ll have a verdict on the game for you in the next few weeks. It’s out on October 6th in the US and October 9th in Europe.

, .

1. Premium User Badge Schaulustiger says:

Well, it’s really looking great but I’m not convinced about the actual gameplay. Looking forward to your verdict, I need RPS to tell me wot to think.

2. datter says:

I remain concerned about the whole “tethering” thing in as much as a guy can be concerned about a video game. Which is to say, not much.

3. Vandelay says:

Is the video meant to stop in the middle of a dev talking?

Looks good though.

4. Sajmn says:

The camera view, movement and hand animations just look wrong to me somehow. It eminates a strange vibe which feels somewhat clumsy and unpleasant…

It’s commendable that they’re making animations for every action however. It looks like (with other videos included) they’re making animations for entering/exiting diffrent vehicles, accurate weapon reloading etc. It does a lot for immersion imho.

Ofc what will really make or brake the game will be it’s gameplay, of which we haven’t seen enough to judge just yet.

5. AndrewC says:

“Cube maps are circular”

I switched off then, as I will never understand tech-talk and am accepting of my failings.

Also that red coloured smoke not being affected by the landing helicopter seemed a bit of a howler in a video specifically made to show how awesome their particle effects are.

• Anton says:

He said that cube-maps are spherical, circular would be completely wrong!

None of it is tech-talk, mind you, it is all ad-talk, please-buy-me-talk. We’re all used to that, aren’t we? :)

• AndrewC says:

But…it’s…a…cube…

it makes me cry.

I’m just going to stick to fluffy-talk about how games make me feel.

6. Mort says:

yeh the red smoke/chopper thing stood out for me also, and I regularly force myself not to get drawn into anal detail/gameplay debates of unreleased games, but that did stick out.

I’m already sold on this, got 3 mates just waiting to have a stab at coop campaign, so as long as that works and the guns point the right way, who cares! I’ll be drunk anyway.

7. Lack_26 says:

Game trailers need to be regulated by a trade descriptions act, they are essentially adverts. So they shouldn’t be allowed to tell lies (or trump old features as new and exciting). I’m fairly sure that I have seen game worlds bigger than OFP 2, (although he does later say ‘on consoles’ which I cant vouch for.

Anyway, still not convinced by this game, I’ll need a demo or I’m sticking to ArmA 2.

8. Paul says:

They should do something about that head bobbing, because it looks ridiculous.See Arma 2 how it’s done (and you can set it in options too!).I hope they will make it customizable as well.

9. bookwormat says:

Huh, british employment law is barbarous. First that blur trailer and now this.

I’m sure here in Austria we have a law that protects poor software developers from being forced to humiliate themselves by reading PR-gibberish in front of a camera. Pfui!

• Premium User Badge yhancik says:

I actually don’t get how seeing developers, “chief level designers” and all that jazz talking about how awesome their game will be is supposed to sell me the game.
      Listening to what they have to say makes sense, but I don’t give a flying duck about their faces, be they “James Nicholls” or Jade Raymond. It’s not like I’ll see them in the game. It’s totally irrelevant. So why that silliness ?
      Is that supposed to keep me focused? To “connect” me to those pretty cool guys? Is that to tell that VIDEOGAME IS PEOPLE? Why, why ?

10. bookwormat says:

oh, and game looks like fun.

11. jamie says:

Did he say ‘something as simple as smoke’. Hmm these guys seem a bit thick

12. Shalrath says:

I’d really, really like to see a ‘realistic shooter’ that doesn’t have that stupid ‘point gun to the left and swing it around’ animation. In war, in combat, you never ever point your gun to the side. You always aim it down when moving, forward when firing. Soldiers don’t run like that. Ever. Not just because you can blow the head off your mate beside you, but because it doesn’t make you move faster (or able to go through a goddamn doorway) if you’re swinging a 4-5 foot rifle like that.

13. Isometric says:

The game world is not as large as ARMA2′s is it?
    My only problem with ARMA2 was the AI in my opinion.
    I get the feeling it will be more polished though and i hope it will be more fun than i had with ARMA2 (of which i had loads).
    Cannot help but compare it to ARMA2, i fail.
    I’ll be waiting for a demo (hopefully) and a Wot I Think on this.

14. Pod says:

Isometric: Your gravy-tar works fine.

Also: Smoke: WIC had it better. That was 3 years ago and even worked on my old, terrible PC.
    File me unimpressed by this particular video.

• Pod says:

Oh, I see what you mean about the gravatar.
      Where’s my laser-giraffegone?

• Isometric says:

World in conflict smoke is fantastic, some of the best bloody smoke i’ve ever seen!

15. underproseductor says:

Their smoke still looks like shit.

16. Shadrach says:

While ArmA2 didnt do it for me even if I tried hard to like it – too complex, buggy AI and missions – this looks really good and actually manages to look fun as well. I’d say a it’ll be a good modern warfare alternative to Red Orchestra.

• Isometric says:

If it is anything like Red Orchestra i’ll be pleased.

Also on Gravatars not sure what is going on, i don’t know how to get my old one working again.
      I’ve made sure i have it associated to my email address. I suppose a strange looking beetroot throwing up is just as good as my old angry ghost one.

17. Tom says:

As mentioned above, I’m looking for this to be realistic, but not too realistic. I secretly hope that it iwll be right in between ArmA II and Battlefield Bad Company: realistic, but not so persnickety that I can’t really get into it. Also the difficulty modifier is the cleverest idea having to do with difficulty in games, ever. Maybe.

18. Vinraith says:

I’m looking forward to the word on this one. Good tactical shooters are too few and far between, and with the Clancy games having gone quasi-run-n-gun years ago the modern setting has been completely without for awhile outside of ArmA (as far as I know). Given the problems of the latter, here’s hoping OpFlash can pick up the slack.

19. SirKicksalot says:

This video makes me want to play ArmA 2 :/

Doesn’t this game support DX10? One of the most advertised features of DX10 is dynamic smoke, and only a couple of games support that – Clear Sky, World in Conflict, Failgate… I remember Crysis should support it too, there was an old comparison video, but I never saw the effect while playing it.

20. GameOverMan says:

Vandelay: link to the complete video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frk-U5QluK8

21. Strake says:

These particle effects look really bad. Their explosions look really fake, the blood spurts look really bad, and their smoke is just on par with every other smoke in any other game these days. And nothing about this one looks particularly unique or exciting, either.

Also, blocky shadows. I know shadows are really difficult to implement, but showing bad explosions and blocky shadows while boasting about your tech (which is nothing new, really) makes you look sleazy.

22. lumpi says:

No offense, but I didn’t see a particle effect in this clip I hadn’t already seen in Max Payne… and pretty much every shooter since then.

They should have better started with the massiveness of the gameworld… but even that isn’t that revolutionary in the year 2009. Guess they’ll ultimately have to convince by having great –gasp– gameyplay!

• Strake says:

Exactly! I thought the particle effects were especially bad to be honest, and before someone moans about video quality or something, the huge black dots that fly away during an explosion look really bad. And the fires look like they have no substance.

23. Dominic White says:

I love the ‘This is on a scale never seen before on a console’ line, when the ORIGINAL Xbox got a fully intact port (including expansions and editor and everything) of the original Operation Flashpoint, and it was really good. That’s proof positive that anything they claim to have cut because of console weakness (the console versions don’t come with an editor) is a weak excuse.

Seriously, there’s some stuff in here that struggles to live up to OFP1. And what’s with the desaturation filter?

24. Chaz says:

Well I thought it looked bloody great. I detect a large dose of snobbery going on here, from the “it’s also on console therefore it will be inferior” crowd. Like I say, I think it looks great, I’m excited, but the proof of the pudding, as they say, will be in the eating.

25. Andy says:

This video amazes me.

Not because of the game or anything, but how well the talking heads can make features that have been around for years and in countless games sound original and ground breaking…

• Dominic White says:

What blows my mind is that they’re trying to make features that were in the original OFP sound original and groundbreaking. The Xbox version (which, again, was a fully-intact fantastic port) was released in 2005.

Four years on, and they seem to have made the graphics a bit prettier but seem to have lost some defining features (body awareness, decoupling of arms/facing, editor in the console versions, flexible multiplayer). Remind me why this is called Operation Flashpoint 2 again?

• Sobric says:

Wait what? Flexible multiplayer? I played OFP 1 from release on the PC and the multiplayer was terrible until 3-4 years of patching and community mods. The videos of OFPs multiplayer don’t show much yet, but I think it could be one of OFPs strongest selling points.

Secondly, OFP 1 had some pretty big islands, but I think that OFP 2s really is going to be much much bigger. I don’t have information on the original islands to hand, but Skira is meant to take 9 hours to cross on foot (although I imagine that is due to terrain rather than size), and 20 mins in a helicopter. The RL island it is modelled off of (Kiska) is 107.2 squared miles. OFP didn’t model its islands on anything specific, only loosely based on some islands from around the world, such as Tenerife.

Anyhow, this is all kind of pointlessly polemical until there is more of an actual hands-on with the game.

26. Cheez says:

Yeah bring on the sexy PR gals! “Buy this game. It’s gonna raise your dragon,” they’d say. Fat balding guy babbling tech just can’t hold the candle I’m sorry.

27. paddytehpyro says:

The fog… oh man. If that rolls in mid mission and you can see it rolling through valiies and such. Do quite want.

28. Nick says:

So is smoke the new water (er, fire in the sky?) in terms of graphical things to boast about?

29. Bogie says:

Sod the smoke I want to see some massive explosions with bodies flying everywhere like in BF2!

30. Richard Clayton says:

Hell, I wish I knew if this was going to be any good! Preorder at Amazon just £17.99…

I don’t preorder without seeing a review on principle… but I’m REALLY tempted by this.

Anybody whose seen preview code: from what you’ve seen is it £17.99 good? (even if not £34.99 good)

• Richard Clayton says:

[Edit] whose = who’s

(I tried to ignore it but am way too anal about such things to let it pass… it’s been nagging at me ever since…)

Incidentally I think I will preorder… Play.com have some bonus mission of some sort thrown in. If it is totally inaccessible and tough I shall give it to my Dad who seems to breeze through the games that I give up on… retirement, eh?

31. Davee says:

Looking good, this is probably a buy for me. But I’m a bit concerned (like somebody else commented before) about the movement, it dosnt look entierly right. Even more concerning – he was aiming and strafing at the same time, but the weapons aim didnt move an inch… Could result in firefights where you instead of standing still you try to run around as much as possible to not get hit. Hope this is changed before release.