RPS Eve Community

By Jim Rossignol on September 22nd, 2009 at 1:43 pm.

I just wanted to flag up the new RPS Eve community, details for which can be found on the forum here. If you’ve never been able to brave the dark waters of Eve Online, but still find yourself interested, then this might be a good place to start. (Along with the free trial.) I’m taking a break from Eve at the moment, so it’s good to see RPS community members pitching in to help beginners on their way. I’ll certainly be checking in with this lot when I do log back on.

Did you know there’s an Eve star system called RPS-0K?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kommissar Nicko says:

I’m interested. However, I don’t know about these RPS chaps…
    Seem like the kind of people who would kill their mums for a dollar.
    AND IN THE GAME.

2. Axiin says:

Is there an RPS Corp? =) It would be interesting to see what kind of active membership numbers that could post.

3. Jad says:

FYI, in a bit of reverse Euro-centrism, Eve is $5 at the D2D sale for everyone except Europe:

4. Finn says:

I remember RPS had a competition a couple of moons ago where the prize was a 1 month card or wossname for Eve but since I wasn’t one of the winnarz I just kept reading the fantastically epic stories set in Eve while raiding my brain to oblivion in WoW. Now with WoW set on the shelf (at least until Cataclysm hits) I think it’s time to try our Eve after all.

How is the trial limited, in terms of skills one can learn, etc? I think I remember reading some skills were locked for trial accounts.

• Gurrah says:

You won’t be able to train most of the locked skills in your trial timeframe anyways, so don’t worry about anything like that. The entire game will be accessable for you.

• Axiin says:

Make sure you get in with an active corp to start with. The game isn’t nearly as fun solo. You make way more money with people. (Unless of course you’re running multiple accounts)

• lethu says:

I could give you a buddy program code which gives you 7 more days to play apart from the default 14 days, just give me your mail and I should send you an invite.

5. AK says:

@Finn: If I remember correctly (I haven’t played Eve for a while) – only the more advanced ship skills are limited, like Battlecruiser, Battleship, T2 ships etc. However it is unlikely that you will train your account to that point in the trial period anyway, and the smaller ships are great fun to play around with as you start out,.besides

6. KikiJiki says:

Glad to hear there’s an RPS community knocking about. Hopefully I’ll be able to add a few more people to my buddy list.

7. Jon.J says:

Anyone starting out might want to head over to scrapheap-challenge.com, a very long running forum with great ship fitting and flying advice amongst other things.

8. Jockie says:

Torn on this one, tried eve a bunch and it never clicked for me, but always got the feeling a good corporation was the key to making it work.

9. Niall Sheffield says:

Anyone who jumps on Eve, and would like some advice or help with the game, join the channel Primetime Chat, I’ll be more than happy to give guidance and organise some missions and things.
    I am Niggles in game btw…

10. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Never played this. Think I owe it to myself to give it whirl.

11. BlazerKnight says:

I’m tempted to try, but the installer for the 21-day free trial on Steam is 3 gigs… My download quota is strained enough already.

12. abhishek says:

I bought Eve on a Steam sale a few months ago because I was interested in trying it out, but I never actually got around to it. Now I’m getting nto Aion, but if that changes, I know I’ll drop in to check this out.

13. Eben says:

Thanks for the exposure Mr Rossignol! I shall be waxing lyrical about how wonderfull the RPS Eve community corp is going when i have a free half an hour at home without having to fight off the attention starved Missus and child. In the meantime check out the forum post linked above and if you have already taken the plunge join the in-game chat channel “eben” password “rps” and let us convince you to give up all pretence of free time. (seriously there are no min or max time requirements, i know thats normally a big put off)

There is a shedload of help available for true beginners including money, ships, skills and free biscuits and lots of jobs to do for more veterain players. All aspects of Eve are covered apart from dirty dirty mining. In a few months we will be venturing into the frozen, shark infested waters of NPC 0.0 (where the high end gameplay occurs in a very inadequate nutshell). In the meantime we are forging our motley collection of super chaps into a vicious band of remorseless killing machines, industrial magnates and makers, or breakers of fortunes.

14. Eben says:

Veteran =/

15. Mike P says:

I’ve picked it up in the last couple of weeks, and have been chatting to the guys in the Eurogamer.net channel. I’ve previously been a bit scared of it due to stories of time commitments, but so far it seems good.

Going to take a couple of days out I think to play ODST, but in the meantime I’m training some skills so that when I log back in I can fly a better ship. It certainly beats rat-punching as a way of developing skills.

Having experienced people around you is a massive boon too, as you can get your head around some of the basic gameplay elements and scams that are out there.

16. BigBadBaldy says:

You don’t need the steam installer code to get the 21 day trial. Post in this forum http://vnboards.ign.com/eve_general_board/b22281/111240336/r111784893/ and get a code a few hours later. I just did got mine.

17. Railick says:

That picture of top is awesome. The way the lasers are blasting looks like the rings of a planet or something.

18. damien says:

ever since i settled into RPS’s lovely little corner of internet-sanity, i’ve felt the urge / pull / compulsion to pick up my eve-habit again.

threads like this dont help. ;)

19. goodgimp says:

This is fantastic! I'm really hooked on EVE, but I'm searching for a corp. This sounds like it'd be right up my alley, I'll have to look y'all up when I get online this evening.

20. wcanyon says:

Considering buying an Eve character (sold the ones I had a while back) and getting back into it. Does anyone know of a PDT corp that isn't fulla tools? I was in Merch Industrial and oh man (fulla tools).

I'd get into the RPS corp but I'm assuming it's euro time.

21. psyk says:

you guys need to go see who residing in RPS-0K then kick them out.

22. medwards says:

@wcanyon and other Norte Americanos: I’m in MST and would love to have a better TZ spread. Join anyways.

23. We Fly Spitfires says:

Cool, gonna sign up so I bug people with my noob questions :)

24. Polysynchronicity says:

Long time EVE player and RPS reader here, just joined a new thing, Red Vs. Blue – basic idea is that we’ve set up two corporations which will be in a state of permanent war with each other. It’s open to players of all skill levels who want some commitment-free PvP. ;)

Channel is “R-V-B” ingame

25. Adventurous Putty says:

You guys should totally buy/steal/conquer that RPS-0K station and claim it as your own. It will be your mad oasis of utopian blogness in a sea of intrepid clannish mediocrity.

26. goodgimp says:

medwards said:

I'm MST (GMT -7) as well, for the record.

27. Gerbick says:

Colour me interested. Always wanted to have a go at Eve, so this seems like a good opportunity to do so with the safety-net of a non-demanding, helpful bunch of people.

28. Kommissar Nicko says:

All the cool kids are MST, dawg.

D-Town fo’ rizzle. Sometimes.

29. damien says:

dangerous observation.

eve is part of that five currencies sale @ d2d this week.

in eve's case, extra time to get used to the game and hook up with people to play with never hurts, and getting that first month free thing sounds like it would be perfect for allowing people to see even a little more of eve's universe than they would while playing on a 7 / 14 day trial.

30. TooNu says:

I have played for 2 years straight now and it is getting better and better and better. It is a game you can do and be anything and not really know how you ended up there, for example my own history in brief looks like.
    - Mission runner to build isk and standings.
    - Joined Faction Warfare Academy on the Caldari side. Learned how to pvp.
    - Joined the 22nd Black Rise Defense Unit, organised the taking of Gallente Space with 3 other corps. Accomplished in 3-4 months.
    - Moved to Syndicate in 0.0 space and partied for a bit.
    - Now I make drugs and run my own POS in low sec.

My next goal is to become stinking rich and turn pirate, or anti-pirate oooh scary times and only possible in EvE :)

31. Eben says:

We are having a slight recruitment problem at the moment which will be resolved at roughly 19:00 Eve time tomorrow (24th). Basicly i didnt train the corp management skill up high enuff *facepalm*. In the meantime join the “eben” channel pw “rps” and have a chat with the lads, lets see if they cant convince you.

32. Val says:

Just like to add that I’m new to Eve (about 20 days) after reading Jim’s article and new to the corp and thoroughly recommend it. If you’re new to the game it’s a great opportunity to get into an exciting corp from the ground up. Similarly, if you’re a vet and looking for something new, there’s plenty to get in on and loads of fresh challenges ahead.

Loads of stuff going on, folks in various time zones, all very relaxed, commit whatever time you feel like. Check out the forums and in chat in game to see what’s happening.

Just need Eben to sort his corp management skills^ :)

33. Aldezhar says:

Nice, picked up eve a few weeks ago, but done little else than log on to start skill training. Perhaps this is the thing to kick start it. Allways felt that EVE is a game where you need other ppl to fully enjoy the game.

34. damien says:

i knew this thread was trouble…

"damien five" in-game.

35. Eben says:

The corp application issues have been resolved, please apply at your earliest convinience

36. simon says:

I spent 6 months in Eve starter corp, loved every minute of it, but due to the time zone differences here in Australia I signed up for Eve University. Big mistake, what a bunch of wowsers! The Eve U people instantly sucked all the joy out of the game and very quickly led me to give away all my stuff and uninstall the client. Yes, it was a hissy fit, but yes, it was fully justified.

37. simon says:

plus, the comma in between ‘OPINION’ and ‘AWAY’ on the ‘OPINION, AWAY’ button is redundant, or should be made redundant, or something.

38. Malibu Stacey says:

If there was one thing to make me re-subscribe my account(s) it would be an RPS community in EVE.
    Thankfully I don’t have the time for MMO’s these days =)

Everyone should play EVE-Online at least once. It’s more than an MMO, hell it’s more than a game.

39. Malibu Stacey says:

That if I’m not mistaken is an Archon (Amarr Dreadnought). Those lasers are generally used for killing your enemies towers which lets you then put up your own and claim the system and any space stations in it.
    I still remember the first time I saw one of those in null sec. It was outside G-7WUF which was the old home system/capital of IAC (Intergalactic Alcohol Conglomerate). I was flying an interceptor as I’d just did the run through Curse to Catch for the first time & I literally felt like I was a flea next to an elephant.

40. Eben says:

The Archon is the Amarr carrier, its a Revelation Dreadnought. Giant shooty spaceship of terrifying death to anything big and slow enough to be hit by its giant laz0rz.

41. Meat Circus says:

Hokay.

So I joined. I am "Grabcocque" in the game. My new m'colleagues seem like a nice bunch of MAGICKAL SPACE FRIENDS so far. Here's hoping…

42. Meat Circus says:

How did the W-Space jaunt go last night?

I was expecting y'all to be rapidly pew-pewed to death.

Comment on this story