Dead Rising 2: Incomparably Silly/Violent

By Alec Meer on September 25th, 2009 at 10:51 pm.

What follows is a video that simultaneously makes me want to cartwheel down the steet shouting “videogames! videogames! videogames!” and also curl up into a confused, future-shocked ball and wait for the end of the world. It’s Dead Rising 2′s multiplayer mode. It’s the Running Man with zombies. It’s Smash TV starring guys with three-foot, razor-sharp antlers strapped to their heads. It’s TERROR IS REALITY XVII, and you’ve probably never seen a video quite like this…

, .

1. Dominic White says:

I was rather worried when I heard that Dead Rising 2 was being outsourced to a third-party studio, but this seems to indicate that they’ve got that bizarro Capcom humor going on, which could well mean a great game.

Here’s hoping that they’re using the M.T. Framework engine again, which is an absolute beast and *fantastically* well optimized.

2. Gutter says:

Confusing… I can’t wait to see where this will fit in Dead Rising.

And I’d buy that TIR as a stand alone game!

3. Spoon says:

*Begins to run down street* videogames! videogames! videogames!

4. anotherman7 says:

Chainsaw motorcycle? I think I'm in love.

5. Dominic White says:

On a Capcom multiplayer tangent, I’m more excited about Lost Planet 2. There was a demo if it released recently on the 360, and it’s fantastic. A 4-player cooperative boss battle against a huuuuuge beastie. Have one player draw its attention with a mech, another use a rocket launcher to cripple its legs, a third climbing around on its back to knock its ‘core’ down into its body… and then a brave fourth player climbs inside its mouth to attack the lowered core from within.

And apparently, it’s not nearly the biggest fight in the game.

6. Noc says:

EVERYTHING IS AMBIVALENT FOREVER.

7. Okami says:

I need that helmet. Badly.

8. Joseph says:

What. The. Fuck.

“Admiration/adoration/absolute terror. I don’t know which. It’s probably all of them.”

Definitely all of them. Holy shit.

9. Dominic White says:

Oh, and before anyone plays the ‘Oh, Japan!’ card – DR2 is by a Canadian studio, who have only previously done two baseball sims, and a baseball management game.

Quite a step up for them, eh?

• Joseph says:

Is it? Are baseball sims/management games easier to make or something? I wouldn’t know, not a developer myself.

Wasn’t going to say anything about Japan, either.

• DeliriumWartner says:

*plays his “Oh, Canada!” card*

• Dominic White says:

Well, I’d imagine that baseball sims are somewhat less ambitious in scope than open-world zombie games, especially ones that seem to be quite creative and have insane multiplayer modes attached.

• Dominic White says:

Oh, and as for the Japan comment, I just remember elsewhere some people getting quite upset about Dead Rising portraying Americans as trigger-happy psychos and America in general as a capitalistic madhouse. Apparently this was due to the everpresent Japanese hatred of all things western, and a desire to pervert and corrupt them… And not, y’know, a direct homage to classic Romero-style zombie movies.

Sure, they were very stupid people with no sense of humor, but they’re out there.

• Spoon says:

You got that right Dominic… They’re the same people making the record ammo shortage in the US. Crazies stocking up thinking Obama is going to take their guns from them.

• Psychopomp says:

OH CANADA
      OH CANADA
      OUR HOME AND SOMETHING SOMETHING

• Springy says:

A mix of Gladiators and World Wrestling with zombies? Doesn’t sound like a Japanese idea to me.

• Sky Jack says:

If you’re looking for a change from “portraying Americans as trigger-happy psychos and America in general as a capitalistic madhouse,” Canada might not be the best choice.

10. Dan says:

Shark == jumped

• Dominic White says:

So long as I get to jump that shark (ideally a zombie shark) riding a motorbike with side-chainsaws, it is a good jump.

11. invisiblejesus says:

Wow… I don’t care who’s developing it, I must have this. That trailer is so stupid awesome I could cry.

12. lumpi says:

WTF?

Looks like a mixture between Carmageddon and L4D. Or… wait, what

13. Martin K says:

Must have. Will buy. Cannot be bad. Simple as that, people.

14. Tom says:

Sold

15. Mungrul says:

It’s like the original, except turned up to eleven.
    I sooooo hope that the rumoured gaffa tape allows you to custom build things of death.

16. noom says:

Put me down for eight copies plz.

17. Meatloaf says:

DAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YES.

I’m excited to see a game that’s not scared to be preposterously stupid.

18. Pags says:

Running Man was a good’un. On a sort-of-videogame-related note, I’m pretty sure Gamer basically copied Running Man. Speaking of Gamer, there’s another modern media example of people trying to illustrate gamers as slightly pathetic sadists. Neato! And now, at the risk of living up to that stereotype, this looks awesome.

19. Al says:

I’d say it’s got a fairly unhealthy dose of WWE stirred in with a soupçon of Gladiators (the giant hamster balls in particular). But mainly, that’s 174% insanoawesome.

20. Zed says:

American Gladiators. This is soaking in American Gladiators. And it is GLORIOUS.

(And those are moose antlers).

21. Lord_Mordja says:

There’s a bunch of gameplay vids up on GT. It looks absolutely mental.

One-One of the vehicles is an electric wheelchair with a bunch of guns strapped onto it and the voice of Stephen Hawking.

22. DarkNoghri says:

Interest. Piqued.

Did the first Dead Rising ever get a PC port? I can’t recall. This, however, looks insane.

23. Adam T says:

DON’T BELIEVE THEM, AHNOLD! IF YOU WIN THEY KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!

24. Vinraith says:

Is it me or are zombies becoming the new WW2 in games?

• JKjoker says:

Halo did well, lets make everything a fps, hey Gears of War went out of stock, everything should be a 3rd shooter now!, Resident Evil 4 sold like pancakes, horror must become a third person gears of war clone!, everyone is talking about coop, gameplay be damned lets cram coop into everything!, and so on, publishers like their bandwagons, the “everything is better with zombies” trend will probably continue for most of 2010, maybe theyll go for cyborg ninja smurfs next

• Spoon says:

Agreed. They even put zombies in more than one WW2 game this year.

Up next on the overused game setting list – fallout/mad max type wastelands.

25. Premium User Badge Thermal Ions says:

I must be missing something. In all the DR2 videos I've watched the zombies seem to be ambling almost to the point of standing still even when 2 feet away from the player, and they appear virtually harmless. Sure there might be some initial fun in trying out the variety of weapons / ways to kill them, but where is the actually game play that will inspire me to load it up the second time.

• Psychopomp says:

Dead Rising was about getting *through* the horde of zombies.

There’s lots of them, the last thing you want is runners.

• Dominic White says:

For anyone wondering just how Dead Rising worked, having not played the 360 version, here is a wonderfully concise and accurate review of it by scholar, poet and possible saint, Rab Florence:

26. Redd says:

I felt nothing.

27. TeeJay says:

Doesn’t do anything for me either

28. toro says:

DOA.

29. The Fanciest of Pants says:

FUCK….

…YES

30. Premium User Badge Thermal Ions says:

Anonymous Coward said:maybe theyll go for cyborg ninja smurfs next

Now that would be awesome :D

31. Premium User Badge JB says:

Played a little Dead Rising on my nephew's 360, enjoyed it a lot.

Loved Running Man back in the day.

I'm now praying that I'll be able to play DR2, looks ludicrously awesome.

32. Schwerpunk says:

*swoon*

33. Lars Westergren says:

I don’t see the appeal actually, why spend so much effort to put so much ugliness on the screen? Oh, because people love it, it seems. I feel a bit sad, both for games as art, and for humanity.

34. Ecko says:

SHUSH. Zombies are here to stay ok. And Lars, I think the alarm bells about humanity should have been ringing a while ago if you look at the continuous level of bilge produced by the games industry.

35. Guy says:

Crotch Thrust! Antlers! Chainsaw Bike!

The world is awesome again.

36. Hmm says:

That looks so ridiculously over the top it might be a lot of fun.
    I’m hoping the PC version will be as good as PC editions of SF4 and RE5 are. Capcom is slowly becoming a really good PC developer and I can’t help but reward them by buying their games.

37. Sinnerman says:

Where is the serious social message about how the desire for cheap meat and consumer goods in the west is ruining the lives of people in the rest of the world? Where are the game mechanics that contrast the annoyance and tedium of saving whiny fat Americans vs the freedom of destruction and indulging your own desires.

Oh, I give in. Dead Rising was always about dressing up in an a coat made of chain saws and a hat with sharpened steel antlers and running head first into a crowd of zombies who are too slow and stupid to get out of your way.

• Dominic White says:

None of the stuff you’re rambling about showed up in any of the trailers for the original Dead Rising either. Also, this is a video for the MULTIPLAYER MODE. You’re not going to find any deep social messages in a four-player cage rumble.

• Sinnerman says:

Dead Rising actually had a marketing message about Frank being a photo journalist finding out what is going on as well as the Zombie mutilating stuff.

Dead Rising 2 has gone in a different direction and almost seems to be more about Capcom shouting out to the rest of the industry about how violent and western their games are compared to other Japanese publishers. This looks well realised for a tacked on multiplayer mode but I don’t think that there is anything so sacrosanct about the tacked on mutliplayer mode that it deserves to be typed out in shouty all caps. I would think that a serious multiplayer gamer would be looking for context and depth to their multiplayer games more than anyone.

• Dominic White says:

Most ‘serious multiplayer gamers’ I know still play Quake 3, which has all the narrative depth of a five-year-olds doodlings on a restaurant napkin. Seriously, are you expecting a plot in a multiplayer mode tacked onto a semi-comedy game about zombies?

• Sinnerman says:

So, are you saying that the multiplayer mode in Dead Rising 2 is going to be as good as Quake 3 based on this trailer?

When I say depth and context I don’t necessarily mean story but some sort of thing that gives me a reason to care and some hint that the game has more going on that watching the kill animations play. Just a hint that something is going on under the surface at some level would be a start.

• Dominic White says:

Given that in this trailer we see about four seconds of actual gameplay, I’m saying that it’s a fun-looking concept for a multiplayer mode but we have no goddamn idea how it plays, and judging it based on this, other than on an aesthetic level, is just silly.

I am however hoping for a big Gladiators-style obstacle course, but with added zombies and plenty of opportunities to shove the competition into the waiting arms of a dozen undead bastards.

38. Frye says:

American Gladiator meets Deer Hunter! How cool are those antlers?

39. Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

So, no one else is really turned off by the rather boring wrestling overtones of the trailer?
    The antlers and chainsaw mounted on a motorbike were cool, but everything was meh. I don't think I would interested in playing the multiplayer if it was presented in that style.

40. Blast Hardcheese says:

You’re all reading too much into the ridiculous trailer. The game itself has you in Las Vegas, not in some sort of bizzaro-thunderdome.

“One man and one thousand zombies enter! One of those things will leave!”

Also, since Dead Rising 2 will have over one thousand zombies on screen, runners would be inappropriate considering Dead Rising gave plenty of OTHER enemies to deal with.

And finally, this appears to be the exact level of stupid dumb fun carnage I wanted out of Wolfenstein. F*** YEAH TESTOSTERONE!

41. Fumarole says:

Oh my, do want.

42. Perry Bothron says:

They should release it as a stand alone product. I’d buy it.
    Terror Is Reality XVIII: Now with more Antlers!

43. Spacewalk says:

This game could only be set in Vegas.

44. AsubstanceD says:

This video for me brings up a very important point, why in all zombie media as no one ever thought that a steel ball cage wouldn’t be the greatest method to stop zombies eating you and still being able to get around. Think about it top zombie scientists!

45. Player2 says:

Cmon now, you have to love this. Mindless slaughter of zombies, and with a best buddy to tag along and spew puns in time with your own.
    “Watch out for that TREE!”
    “He looks a little PAIL after that one!”
    “I should AXE him how he’s feeling!”
    “Your methods of analyzation are KATANASHING!”

I live for senseless violence and gameplay chock full of lousy puns! Bring it on I say!