UK TV vs Videogames: A One-Sided Fight

By Alec Meer on September 25th, 2009 at 11:08 pm.

If you’re a fellow Britisher, you may have caught a staggeringly unpleasant, one-sided and sensationalist half-hour of fact-free garbage on ITV earlier tonight. It’s about videogames and addiction, and because a handful of young people they document demonstrate significant emotional or social problems and play videogames a lot, this of course means games are monstrously addictive with tragic long-term consequences. It couldn’t possibly be that they play videogames for too long and too intensely because of their other problems or circumstances, could it? NO NO NO DON’T TALK SENSE.

It’s irresponsible, partisan and sickening reporting, whose entire argument is based around a bunch of non-gamers saying that they think games are bad. Games are addictive because a man says they’re addictive, apparently. Listen out for the number of times the word “believes” is used. It also rants about the case where one online gamer killed another’s lover – which is entirely irrelevant to the programme’s chosen topic of addiction, but because it’s all games are bad m’kay, hell, let’s thrown it in there anyway!

I’m not offended because I work in the games industry (because, let’s be honest, it’s an industry often capable of poor taste and judgement, and even exploitation*). I’m offended because insidious pseudoscience is being passed off as news and fact. If another programme wants to say games are dangerously addictive and has the facts to prove it, then I promise I’ll listen politely and even rethink my views on the matter if the weight of empirical and scientific evidence is strong and thorough enough. But all this offers is a pre-determined agenda.

Oh, there are a few facts. 43% of kids surveyed, for instance, say they felt angry when their parents tell them to stop playing games. And this is, of course, because they’re addicted. Not because they’re pissed off that their parents are forcibly stopping them from having fun. Couldn’t possibly be that.

This poisonous trash will probably make you angry. You should watch it anyway, to see just how low the British media can sink, and the straws that anti-game campaigners can so desperately grasp at. You can watch it here – it’s available on ITV’s site for the next seven days, but non-UK folk will need some sort of proxy/IP-fiddling tech to watch it.

Well, at least they didn’t interview Anne Diamond.

* While I don’t – hey! – believe in gaming addiction as any sort of chemical thing, I do worry that some games/developers knowingly rely on proven compulsive elements – e.g. pervasive item collection and multiple forms of levelling up – at the expense of more interesting or satisfying design. This isn’t something I can back up at present, hence I’m not going to film a documentary about it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Noc says:

On the other hand, 68% of children surveyed became angry when their parents told them that they had to eat their broccoli before they’d be allowed desert.

DESERT: AN INSIDIOUS MENACE?! Find out if YOUR child could be in danger!

2. Lambchops says:

They may have missed the obvious Anne Diamond interview but did they interview Vince “Games are Evil” Cable?

I don’t think I can be bothered watching the media yet again display an astounding level of stupidity towards arguments about the negative influence of games – i’ve got decent TV like Peep Show and Derren Brown to catch up on!

3. Arienette says:

I saw this at work and I was shocked at how this woman was passed off as a journalist.
    Her three arguments appeared to be three heavily biased case studies used to represent millions of people, that addiction clinics say it exists (hmm, conflict of interest) and that she was a mother, the best argument of all.

I was practically shouting at the screen, beginning for evidence or even mention of a single study. I’m even more appalled that people around the country will take it all as fact.

Serious issues dressed up to demonise the target of the moment, ultimately harming anyone involved further.

…. also, bad bad parents.

4. subedii says:

Calm down Alec, remember to breathe. :P

These pieces are designed to be obtuse and sensationalist. They’re the equivalent of tabloid pieces.

Honestly, I wouldn’t get worked up about it, the next generation already knows that games aren’t “the devil”, and it’s not like they’re going to grow up with different opinions because of stuff like this.

This isn’t that bad for how “low the media can sink”. In the grand scheme of things whining about videogames is just another “get off my lawn you meddling kids!” piece. When I think of how low the media’s sunk it’s usually more along the lines Fox News telling people that the UK is a commie socialist nightmare, or the UK tabloid press. That stuff really gets my goat. This? I can usually laugh at it because I know that even if people do believe the tripe, it doesn’t have too much effect. Tomorrow’s legislators are already playing Halo and Team Fortress today, not much else can be said.

5. Jahkaivah says:

“Sir, this is about addiction…. how is a tale about one gamer killing another over a girlfriend relevant?”

“Bah details….. be sure to quickly flash the inverted colours of the killer’s photo though, that makes him seem more evil”

6. Homunculus says:

Enhance your calm, Alec Meer. And rejoice in the joy-joy news that videogaming’s Prodigal Son Charlie Brooker will be devoting a programme incuding the topic of how the media represents gamers in Gameswipe this Tuesday.

7. Sparvy says:

Anyone else remember the dutch (or possibly danish, not sure) clinic that was trying to cure video game addiction? After a couple of years of parents sending them their sons they shut down because they realise that none of their patients showed any of the symptoms usually connected with addiction and the process usual addicts goes through when trying to go “clean”.

The idea of gaming addiction is a joke, albeit a twisted one, in comparison to the real addictions and the problems they bring both to the individual and to the society at large. But I suppose reporting on those real issues isn’t “modern” or “cool” enough these days.

8. Schmung says:

sob, sob, sob

I’d watch it, but that would mean that I would have to use ITV player. This is a piece of software that, until recently did not work on ITVs own PCs.

I’ll hold my tongue and say nothing beyond that, because I am in the unfortunate position of being employed by them (for the moment at least) – unless that is someone wants to have a proper moan about the program to the duty office (all comments and complaints recorded and published) or press office, whos numbers I shall be only to happy to provide.

9. LewieP says:

Ha!

As I click the link, the first thing I hear is “ITV – The brighter side”

10. Arnulf says:

From the sound of it this is what in Germany was for a very long time a typical TV report of youth and videogames. Especially after another one of those dreadful school shootings. Only recently they’ve come around a bit.

11. Niall Sheffield says:

Wow, I loved how you typed in this piece. Too often do games journalist stay quiet while their hobby/job is covered in rubbish spewed from the mouth of people who nothing of what they talk about. Keep it up!

12. LewieP says:

Also: They should do an program about addiction to books. I hear people read book all the time.

• Schmung says:

Books don’t even have a ratings system! Anyone can buy a book full of all sorts of the worst filth and violence and sex. I for am outraged! Phone the Mail immediately.

• subedii says:

Not me, I get all my information from the tabloid press and opinion-piece led journalism. It marks me out as an informed individual.

• Some Guy says:

books are very eviele, you can get anything in them, far more descriptive sex of any knid are avalable in books.

• Gorgeras says:

I once saw that someone had drawn a penis and boobs in a book. I immediately contacted the publisher and demanded that the book be patched or changed in some way to prevent people inserting their own inappropriate content.

• golden_worm says:

and how about the far more prevalent “addiction” to crappy, sensationalist, non-interactive, lowest common denominator TV programmes, such as the ones spewed up by the cretins at ITV? I bet a study could be made which would definitively show that ITV’s output also causes obesity (they encourage you sit and watch for hours on end, not even thumb exercise) , depression (because of the relentless and now largely unobtainable commercialism), and even secondary gambling addiction (those late night “guess what word we are thinking of” “game” shows ….or did they have to take them off air? I’ve not watched ITV for a few years now except by accident).
      To be honest I think we have to get beyond TV now. What does it offer that the internets can’t do better?
      or for that matter a good book?

• Bhazor says:

I was able to buy Dice Man and Lolita from WH Smith at the age of 12.

13. Dante says:

Phew, my faith in super Vince nearly shattered there.

14. fucrate says:

20 million kids are eaten by bats every second.

15. Carra says:

It’s programs like this that make gaming as an adult conceived as not done or even unhealthy.

16. Dave says:

When hearing anything like this about games, I substitute “TV” or “comic books” or “penny dreadfuls” or any popular media from any age, and see if it sounds just as silly. It almost always does.

17. LewieP says:

Holy crap, an empty milk bottle, I never thought of that. Cheers ITV.

• Stu says:

Thanks to his accent, I’m not sure whether he spends his time “sitting” or “shitting” in his gaming chair. Given his use of a milk bottle for a urinal, I strongly suspect the latter.

18. SirKicksalot says:

Stuff like this makes me regret that I chose gaming journalism as the theme of my license thesis…

…but on the other hand, the repetitive arguments will lead to a pretty short chapter dedicated to this type of criticism.

19. Lewis says:

Anyone unfortunate enough to follow me on Twitter will have seen my angry live-updating about this. Eugh. I actually went into it genuinely open to some well-reported stuff on a problem that seems to be on the rise. Instead, it was the story of three kids whose parents were unable to control them to any degree, so they sat and played games all day, because if you don’t build a good relationship with your kids they will do what they feel like.

Then we had an “interview” with a psychologist, in which the poor lady was asked leading question after leading question until she finally said the word “addiction”, at which point the show moved on with PROFESSIONAL WORD that gaming addiction is a problem. Someone’s mum agreed, saying “it’s my belief that…” a lot, before a Dutch man – absolutely with no evidence or even reasoning to back up such an impossibly, offensively ridiculous claim – said that gaming addiction “could well be more dangerous than regular chemical addiction.” The TV says so, guys: games are worse than drugs.

Then, staggeringly, we’re told the actually genuinely tragic story of a young gamer who was murdered after a mentally ill man fell in love with his girlfriend, having met her through an online game which I guess it’s safe to assume is World of Warcraft (the programme tastefully referred to it as ‘cyberland’). Which, y’know, is a genuinely awful story. Except the programme then has the audacity to state – get this – that this was because the troubled killer was addicted to the game, and thus had fallen into some sort of alternate reality where the actions within the game were inseperable from actions in real life. A symptom of gaming addiction, it would seem.

We’re also told the equally terrible story of a young man who committed suicide in front of his computer. His mother – who, okay, has experienced the most terrible tragedy imaginable – says this shows that gaming can be life-threatening.

Then, finally, we have a spokesperson from the games industry. “Should games have a time limit programmed in?” he’s asked. “No, of course not,” he says. And then, without another comment on the matter, the programme ends.

Yeah. I’m still really angry about how much utter nonsense, Bad Science and general misinformation was portrayed. Like you say, Alec, it clearly had an agenda, and when no evidence could be found to support the case, just went for plain making shit up or tying things together so loosely it fell apart from the very first second.

20. manintheshack says:

I really don’t want to watch that.

I remember seeing something presented by that arse, Trevor McDonald, years ago and it was truly disturbing, more disturbing than games could ever pupport to be. One of their tests involved sitting a bunch of infants down with GTA and then later asking them what they thought of it. Of course they thought it was cool, or disgusting – both excitingly vulgar reactions for the idiots who produced and watched the program – and this was apparently a satisfyingly in-depth test to determine the influence that violent games had on children.

The nut-shot came when they reported on a story where a couple of kids had taken their father’s rifle and shot at motorists on the freeway. It was GTA’s fault, naturally, they interviewed the parents and they said so. It was definitely nothing to do with the fact that they had access to a FUCKING LOADED WEAPON.

Ach, what’s the use.

21. LlamaFarmer says:

This reminded me of a lesson I had in religious and moral education when I was ickle. The teacher showed us a video documentary about the effects of video games and we learnt this: if you played Street Fighter you would tell a stranger to keep his hand in a bucket of ice so it hurt for longer than someone who hadn’t played the game…

This never bother me till now, I had forgotten about it, but this post reminded me of my teacher’s lip quivering with the fear and anger about these games turning us into violent terrors – and that itself annoys me, do people that have no reason to know better really think that all gamers are stalkers/psycho killers in the making? Maybe that’s why my mum didn’t think that much of my game playing, until I got her hooked on Zookeeper and Prof Layton that is, muahahaha!

Mind you, I shouldn’t worry what what my RME teacher thought, she did talk to an inflatable pig (“Piggy”) during class.

• Dante says:

That’s not actually a bad idea, the reactionaries are all too happy to abuse the complaints system to get something they see as vulgar off the air, why shouldn’t we use it to try and uphold a proper standard of journalism?

• LlamaFarmer says:

Good idea. In fact, I have done just as you have suggested, using the sort of sentences I imagine my dad uses when writing his letters of complaint, using such phrases as “sensationalist drivel” and “frankly misleading and insulting”. I went for the poor journalism rather than “I heart games” approach as Alec mention below, since there could be some sort of issue here, if only it was studied…I was going to say properly, but just at all.

• Lewis says:

Have done so. Each week Ofcom publishes a list of all programmes which have received more than ten complaints. I’d really hope this appears.

22. Coded One says:

Anybody have a good proxy so I can view this here in the US? I’ve searched for some but few that I’ve tried work.

I’m always interested in bullshit scapegoats, and video games put the Salem witch trials to SHAME. I’m glad to see that America isn’t the only country with biased journalism.

So yeah, good proxy?

23. GreatUncleBaal says:

Hmmm. I don’t think I’ll watch this just yet, because I’m liable to get the angers, but I am quite interested in how any supposedly antisocial and “evil” influence slowly becomes more acceptable as it becomes more profitable (ie rock music a few decades ago, comics as already mentioned etc). As gaming is now popular culture, the collective voice of dissent against such demonisation will reach a critical mass at some point, when the media and advertising community will wake up and realise they need to actually take gamers seriously or lose revenue. They won’t be more educated, necessarily, but they will be more careful about what they say.

• Alec Meer says:

I’ve always loved that gramophones were once considered sickeningly anti-social, in a similar sort of way to kids playing music on their phones on the bus today. Playing music in one’s own home? Why, ’tis the end times!

(Also, I happen to own a gramophone. It is a beautiful, stately thing, and to think it was once thought offensive is beautifully absurd.)

• Sparvy says:

Come to think of it we should be grateful, kids these days have to go such extremes to rebel against their parents. Back in the days they had hippies, pop, rock and all other kinds of devils work that young people could use to rebel. Now those people are the parents, and the new generations have fight to even raise an eyebrow. I say thank you for the demonisation of videogames, the only other alternative is drugs!

• noom says:

I’ve taken to referring to my iPod as my gramophone. Makes me feel less of a puppet of effective marketing for owning one ^_^

24. GreatUncleBaal says:

I’ve just re-read my post and realised it’s quite wanky, but there is a point in there somewhere.

• Malibu Stacey says:

There’s a large amount of good point and no “wanky”-ness that I can see.
      Have more faith in your words man!

25. mandrill says:

This kind of thing is symptomatic of the fear that old media feels coursing through its body as they fail to keep up with the new and wonderful ways that digital technology make entertainment and information available to the masses. They feel threatened and instead of stepping up and changing the way they do things they attack the thing which threatens them.

This kind of ‘journalism’ with regard to games is nothing new. Its been around for decades but with different targets. The older generation doesn’t understand that the younger one belongs to a radically different culture with its own modes of expression, sources of entertainment and methods of communication. It happened with Jazz in the ’20s, Rock’n'roll in the ’50s, the counter culture in the ’60s, and pretty much everything else that ‘the yoof’ embraced as their own since.

Ignore it, it will go away as more and more of the older generation die off to be replaced by those who grew up with gaming as a part of their culture and lifestyle. Correction, the target will change to something else. Something that our children will embrace and that we will abhor as newfangled and dangerous.

26. Schmung says:

Suggest you moan to ITV directly via the following :

0844 88 14150
    dutyoffice@itv.com

• Alec Meer says:

If anyone is planning an official complaint, I suspect you’re better off doing it under the umbrella of innacurate reporting/poor journalism rather than frothing rage or games-are-great.

27. Smiler says:

I think its really shocking that so many people still expect ITV not to be exclusively trash. That so many of you seem to expect something better from this channel is surprising, when ITVs idea of news/documentary programming essentially involves taking the most offensive and reactionary parts of the daily mail and filming them. They find the most inbred and ill educated people to appear in their docs, as that’s exactly who the target audience is.

I can’t remember the last time i even considered watching ITV (discounting when they showed the original Wicker Man a few months ago) and rather than get angry, i advise everyone to just never press the number 3 on your remote.

28. Mike says:

As ever, our response to things such as this has to be tempered, or we’ll look like lunatics and children. It’s silly, yes, it’s baseless, yes, it’s terrible science, yes. This is nothing new, so we just respond to the criticisms and move on.

29. Hoernchen says:

Thank god they are just addicted ! Just image what will happen when they start killing people – everyone knows playing pc games leads to violence. Death. The plague. etc.

• GreatUncleBaal says:

Exactly – I was playing Dyson today, and I slaughtered hundreds of seedlings. I regret nothing, therefore I must be a moral degenerate. Oh, happy days.

30. Woges says:

I wanna live like common people; I wanna do whatever common people do.
    I wanna sleep with common people; I wanna sleep with common people like you.
    Oh what else could I do?
    I said I’ll… I’ll see what I can do.

31. Magnus says:

I’d recommend that nobody watches ITV. It’s like The Sun of television. I can almost feel my brain cells dying off for every second I watch, so I avoid it like the plague.

It’s television “reporting” like this, and the way large amounts of the general public actually believe this crap, that really makes me mad. Even the BBC puts out similar levels of trash programming, as if factual reporting, reason and informed debate are things to be feared and shunned.

Every day I lose a little more faith in humanity.

32. Nurdbot says:

Brilliant journalism brought to you by a TV station famous for exploiting Z list celebrities and annoying ancient soap operas.

Why hasn’t that TV station gone out business yet?

• Magnus says:

They are trying their hardest to go out of business, it’s all been downhill since “ITV digital” flopped.

However, the most watched shows are coronation street, the x factor and similar. That doesn’t give me hope for what direction they will choose to travel in search of increasing their revenue.

It is also not helped by the likes of the Murdoch clan trying to hamstring the BBC, which may be going downhill a touch, but still puts out far higher quality television than its domestic competitors.

33. Cpt. Sqweky says:

It ain’t just Britain. American journalism is just as bad or worse. I did my high school magnum opus on video games and violent behavior, and it is just stunning how much stuff is out there blaming video games on pretty much every bad thing that happens, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary. It seems like journalists feel threatened by video games and do everything they can to demonize them.

34. Alec Meer says:

I really can’t help but frown at any “just ignore ITV” argument. That means I/we don’t see this kind of thing when it happens, but it doesn’t mean millions of others don’t. ITV may put out a lot of guff, but it’s a still a television channel of such status/market share that plenty of generally right-thinking people regularly tune into it by accident or design. People who now believe games kill kids.

I received a horrified text from an otherwise smart friend who’d watched it, convinced games were deadly for kids. I tried to put her straight, but I knew I was on a back foot because I wasn’t a serious-looking man on the television. The perception of expertise has changed dramatically in the last few years – if you’re given a public platform and demonstrate extreme confidence in your words, far too many people (both highly educated and otherwise) will presume you know what you’re talking about, no matter how factless it may be.

And as such ‘just ignore this sort of thing’ is a dangerous response. It’s important to rail against the rot, even in so minor a way as bibbling about it on a website or to a friend. Clearly, a high volume of calm, well-worded complaints that eventually led to ITV running an apology/admission of unbalanced reporting would be infinitely wonderful, but I have little to no idea of whether that’s truly possible.

• Magnus says:

How should we do more? The industry itself seems to let such things wash over them, or worse still, self-censor or cut material that is offensive to the vocal minority. Gaming is ever increasingly popular, and yet lags well behind music and film in terms of public perception. I can say I watch a film every day, and that won’t solicit a negative response, but to suggest you play two hours of games a day will have you regarded by a large section of people as having a problem.

This sort of terrible reporting occurs in so many spheres of life, and as someone with a keen interest in politics, it seems to be something that is pandered to rather than being fought. Why can’t we be more rational and reasonable as a nation?

• LewieP says:

I think the best thing we can do is show non-gamers the side of gaming that is wholesome fun, wildly entertaining, and probably massively educational.

I was looking after some of my friends young kids a few weeks ago, and I made them play World of Goo. They loved it, and told their non-gaming parents how they loved it, and (in seven and nine year old language) told them how it had given them an understanding of physics and basic structural engineering.

They are getting a Wii for Christmas.

• GreatUncleBaal says:

With regard to gaming’s public perception, it’s a lot, I think, to do with something Alec has already mentioned – the fact that people on telly aren’t representing it in any kind of meaningful way. You still don’t see game reviews done competently on the arse end of any multi-format entertainment programme, to my knowledge (which is admittedly shoddy) – which means that the medium is not being taken as seriously as it should be, given how much bloody money it pulls in.
      I’d also echo the sentiment that a jittery “Fuck Off” to the powers-that-be will be less productive than a well-worded note of dissent – they’ll only quote the death threats, y’know.
      Frankly, they should be glad we don’t live in an age where games like the devilish Werewolves of London (Spectrum version) still exist – murder, cannibalism, and jumping the turnstiles on the Underground.

• purpletres says:

gamers shouldn’t ignore ITV and the jack thompson types. so far it is a very one-sided argument. we must never tire, continue to educate, and provide our side of the argument.

35. Nick says:

I’m inclined to agree, Alec. There is too much psuedo science on television that is taken as fact, not just in this program but everywhere.. horribly unscientific “surveys” and experiments with no real merit (never do they mention that you need LOTS of tests and experiments and data collection to even remotely indicate such things with any degree of accuracy).

It is a dangerous state of affairs, the media in general is constantly abusing its position and in some cases causing serious harm (like mass panic over Northern Rock, or the MMR scare) and yet no one in any position of power seems to take issue with this.

Frankly all I can do is write a complaint, for what good it will do.

36. Thrawny says:

my son plays with lego for up to 5 hours a day, and freaks out if we take it away at bed time, clearly he is addicted to lego and needs help.

37. Archonsod says:

TV? Isn’t that the thing people used to do before they invented the internet? Is that still going?

38. Shadowmancer says:

I don’t see how games except MMO’s can be addictive, its more of a kind of adrenaline rush than an addition. As for the reporting its the worst kind I sense the Daily Mail hate brigade on this. These kids should move onto either reading books or playing roleplaying board games like D&D if they are banned from the PC its more or less the same.

39. Smurfy says:

Oak jives it!

If you rearrange that, you can spell out ITV is a joke!

40. Shadowmancer says:

Notice they blur out the games we can’t see which games are the addictive ones lol.

• LewieP says:

I played “spot the game” to see if I could still work them out. One of them was Crysis.

I wonder who paid for the computer that could run Crysis? I’m gonna guess the parent.

• Shadowmancer says:

I also saw world of warcraft at one point, its funny they don’t show what games make these kids addictive. The only one not blurred out was WIii fit.

41. Archonsod says:

I liked the Nottingham cop myself. Apparently, really good gamers make really good murderers.

I think I can see why Nottingham is considered Britain’s murder capital …

42. tapanister says:

Am I allowed to say fuck them? And thank god I can’t watch that shit from my country, I’ve had enough subhuman unintelligent dickwads pissing me off for the day.

• GreatUncleBaal says:

Blimey, sounds like you’ve had a bad one. But, where are you from? And how do they portray games in your neck of the woods?

• tapanister says:

Man, you can’t imagine. I’m from the part of Europe where we a) have stray dogs everywhere and b)people are allowed to trap them in their backyard and try to kill them by beating them with sticks. I almost killed the mf’er soon as I saw what he was doing. It’s Greece if yuo haven’t figured it out btw, the country that banned all videogames for a few months in 2006 or something.

Well, about videogames anyway, after that disastrous temp ban the Greek goverment doesn’t interfere with videogames and they are not demonized by the press, but that’s mostly because nobody gives a shit and/or knows videogames exist. Although that leads to parents letting their kids to play MMOs in net cafes for hours which I find attrocious, but anyway.

43. TwoDaemon says:

I suspect the only good thing I got out of this is some training for my latent psychic powers, given the amount of time I spent trying to kill that woman through the screen. Although if she actually died, it’d only get blamed on gaming anyway… Count the number of times ‘being a mother’ was used as an argument why gaming was evil.

I was quite amused by that kid who they were apparently claiming was ‘cured’ or some such having his horrifying gaming setup… which turned out to be a laptop, a couple of consoles and – horror of horrors! – some cushions to sit on. Seriously? My Dad has a better gaming setup than that. Okay, the milk bottle thing was a little weird, but there have got to be some more obsessive setups than that out there. Come on ITV, try harder at your hideously biased, sensationalist reporting!

44. malkav11 says:

My mom was convinced, back in the day, that MUDs were responsible for my faltering grades in school. Never mind that the reason I wasn’t doing my homework was because it was boring and unpleasant . I mean, sure, MUDs were what I found most interesting as an alternative to homework, but I was more than happy to find something else (like reading) if she took away my internet access.

45. postmanX3 says:

The day I see sense on television will be the day the sky turns red, the earth bleeds, and demons travel through cracks in reality.

46. Llama says:

for people outside of the UK you might have a look around for this random collection of characters: aaf-itv.tonight.adg.nfo

47. Lanster27 says:

“Sorry, this video is only available for view in the United Kingdom…”

Comment on this story