Still Awake? Dreamkiller Trailer

By John Walker on September 25th, 2009 at 8:46 am.

This is how all my dreams appear too.

It’s nice to see that Dreamkiller is heading in the direction I hoped: stupid and proud of it. Whether it will be all that and worth playing remains to be seen – opinion is quite divided on Painkiller (and more so on Painkiller: Overdose developed by Dreamkiller devs, Mindware). With Serious Sam 3 on the way, there’s perhaps fresh interest in an old-school zero-gimmicks FPS, and beyond the ridiculous premise (psychologist enters patients’ dreams, shoots monsters and blows shit up) this is as traditional as could be. As the new trailer shows, the team behind it certainly aren’t aiming for anything highbrow.

It’s an improved attitude over previous appearances. The first time we heard about it a ludicrous press release made claims that could only hurt it. The second time it was a po-faced and overwrought trailer attempting to claim some gravitas. This time, it’s the developers grinning about how silly it is, which I suspect is the correct angle.

It’s colourful, and looks idiotic enough to maybe be quite fun? I dunno. I hope so – if this can avoid Painkiller’s painful repetitiveness (within each level, before someone complains) then perhaps it will work. What do you think?

, , , .

1. RiptoR says:

I’ll need to see a demo before they see my cash. Painkiller Overdose was a joke that didn’t even come close to the original Painkiller in terms of gameplay and fun, and on first sight Dreamkiller is headed the same way…

I think I’ll stick to Serious Sam HD (or SS3).

2. pierec says:

If they manage to pull off properly twisted and crazy level design (following dream logic rather than logic) it may be quite interesting. I really liked Painkiller, it was fun and the ideas rarely outstayed their welcome.

3. T-B0N3 says:

yes, i also did not like PK: Overdose at all. And this looks alot like that :( ill save my money for PK 2 and Serious sam HD

• TotalBiscuit says:

Or y’know you could do the rational thing and wait for the demo before rendering your damning judgment.

That said, Overdose is not something I’d want on my resume.

4. The Dark One says:

It would be awesome to see a game portray something like the ‘Country of the Mind’ described in Queen of Angels. Why yes, it’s the second time I’ve mentioned a Greg Bear novel today. What of it? :V

5. MultiVaC says:

Why does RPS hate Painkiller so? I don’t see how they could have it much less repetitive while still being a simple oldschool shooter. Overdose was awful, though, I’ll concede that.

From the footage of Dreamkiller, it seems like it has some of the same problems as Painkiller: Overdose. Mostly that the weapons don’t seem to feel nearly as satisfying as they should, which is arguably the most important thing in this sort of game (And the thing I thought Painkiller did just right, which is why I think I enjoyed so much. The stake gun was one of the most fun guns I’ve ever fired in a game.)

• Alec Meer says:

Hate it so? Jim quite likes it, John didn’t like some elements of it, and my problem with it is more to do with people acting as though something so throwaway was a gift from the gods rather than a trashy semi-giggle. Dunno about Kieron.

• Psychopomp says:

Alec, you have been banned.

Not from the website, but from my heart.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Painkiller was the real Doom 3. Anyone claiming otherwise is a heathen.

• Kieron Gillen says:

I despise it. It doesn’t have a bloody clue.

(Unlike, for example, Serious Sam 1)

KG

• PHeMoX says:

Of course, the stake gun wasn’t quite as original, but yes it was a great weapon nonetheless.

“Painkiller was the real Doom 3. Anyone claiming otherwise is a heathen.”

Uhm, no. Objectively seen there probably never was a real Doom 3. ;)

• KikiJiki says:

@Kieron but it has a much better theme song than Serious Sam.

• StenL says:

@ Phemox
      Doom 64 is sometimes considered to be the true Doom 3 by Doom fans.

• Bhazor says:

Reply to Kieron
      Oh you’re no fun. Though I would be interested in why you think Serious Sam is a better game (ignoring graphical differences).

• RobF says:

The best part of Painkiller for me was the environments. Some crazy shit architecture going on.

I’m not seeing anything like that here so sadface time.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Bhazor: In a word, pacing.

KG

6. Psychopomp says:

The only thing that I didn’t like about the original Painkiller, was that they misspelled “Tree Cannon.”

7. Antsy says:

Inventive use of the dream exploration could be really interesting. Strange tentacle bloke in the screenshot suggests otherwise though. “Hey guys whats weird and disturbing?…..oh yeah! Tentacles!”

• mrmud says:

They should have known better.
      Tentacles should not be anything unfamiliar to todays hentai consuming internet denizens.

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I don’t know (actually, I do), but when I go for a forgettable shooting spree I tend to play UT. Maybe, regarding FPSs, I’ve become less forgiving about a lack of.. motivating elements? Great level design? I mean, it’s not as if Halo was super, but it was (to me) great fun.

It could be the look and feel, but this doesn’t look appealing to me. I wonder how I’ll feel about it if they get a demo out.

9. Senethro says:

I’m somewhat suspicious that Painkiller is being judged harshly by people who never press jump twice in a row! It was the real Doom 3, reminding us that there is more to FPS than Space Marines!!! and shooting brown people in deserts. And whoever at People Can Fly came up with the design for Hell deserves some kind of award.

Whatever. Painkiller Overdose was an excellent free mod that some publisher paid money to people to make into an slightly below average commercial game. But, if they’ve had full commercial backing from the start and have been smart with their hiring, theres every possibility Mindware could have done a good job on Dreamkiller.

10. DrGonzo says:

I don’t see how a game where you constantly bunny hop is a successor to Doom. It’s just like the original Quake. But shit.

11. simon says:

I will stick to my dreams thanks, whoever has dreams about shooting up waves of humanoids obviously . . no, wait . . damn.

Saying that, they could have made much more out of the premise than using dreams as an excuse to not have their cannon fodder in WW2 uniforms. maybe some actual thought behind the context would have yielded a conceptually consistent experience, such as using Positive Thinking ™ powerups to defeat the Depression Monster, etc.

12. SirKicksalot says:

I’m more interested in the Necrovision expansion.

13. Chaz says:

In my dreams there are small test tube like vials scattered around my mindscape that give me 1 health, and larger first aid boxes that give me 50-75 health. Ocasionally if I’m lucky there are blue glowing orbs that give me 200 health! Oddly enough, like the health there are also small flecks of metal dotted around that give me 1 armour. I know it’s armour because they make a metalic scrunching noise as I walk over them. Also there are often colour coded armour breastplates that also give me varying degrees of protection from 50-100, and 200 armour from the shiney gold ones.

Another strange facet of my dreams is that I always seem to start them holding just a weakly powered pistol. But that’s OK because the first enemies I encounter aren’t usually much more than small dragon flies and poisonous frogs. As my dream progresses and my enemies become more numerous and tougher, I aquire more powerful weapons, like the shotgun, machine gun, grenade launcher, rocket launcher and lightening gun (I call it that because it shoots out bolts of electricity. I know, crazy!), and usually all in that order too. Towards the end of my dream just before I wake up, I’m usually armed to the teeth and wielding some big f**koff gun of awesome destructive power against the mother of all foes.

After that I wake up with a strange feeling of dissatisfaction, disenchantment and deja vu, as if I’ve had the dream many times before, and I can never quite remember the reason why I was fighting all the monsters in the first place.

Madness! Utter, utter madness I tell you!

• mrmud says:

geez, you have some strange dreams. 200 armors are obviously red, not golden.

14. Epsz says:

At the very least, it’s refreshing to see a woman as the shooter in a FPS.
    And the Trailer really brought back memories of Serious Sam, and that game was good. It would be nice to have acoop mode, but I doubt there will be.

15. Bluepixie says:

Reminds me of the odd dream like sections of Psychotoxic, but better.

16. Bret says:

Well, at least your dreams don’t end with you glitching into a wall.

17. OutOfExile says:

I’m liking this so far, we haven’t had a good old school shooter for a while, hopefully this’ll fill that hole.

18. NeonBlackJack says:

meh.

19. Tei says:

This looks like a amateur game with surprosing chesssy gameplay (thats a bonus :-) and some variety on it.
    It will help the game, if on release is more “solid”. Less amateur.

20. bill says:

I just finished Painkiller and it was cool… though not as great as many people make out.
    (the shurikens and lightning gun was a big disappointment – but the rocket launcher and minigun gun made up for it)

The pacing is all over the place though. (first few levels were dull as ditchwater). And the “pick up souls” mechanic almost ruins the game.
    Some parts were great though.