Tim Schafer Hired 20 Years Ago Recently

By Kieron Gillen on September 29th, 2009 at 11:26 pm.

My 'Internet whiners whine about internet whiners' line is totally wasted, alas.

Ah, yes. I return from a day of adventuring. Alec’s doing a post about Gameswipe, bless him. In which case, I’ll draw your attention to something which emerged over the weekend. Tim Schafer was hired 20 (count ‘em!) years ago as a designer. He does a post including some splendid rejection letters, as well as reciting the awesome Ballblazer Story. I said the word “ball”. You have to go and read that, yes? No, yes. Yes.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Psychopomp says:

I haven’t pirated a Schafer game, yet. Does this mean I don’t have to pay for Brutal Legend?

2. Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

Tim Schafer, one of the very best persons in the universe.

I hope someone figures out a way to copy his brain, so that we can put it into other bodies, potentially making a studio made up of hundreds of Tims, making killer games, forever.

We also need to figure out how to make them not be sentient. I trust everyone saw ‘Moon’? We wouldn’t want that.

3. Adrian says:

Wow that’s totally amazing! I just got accepted for a job and i had to make a fancy resume and everything n i hat to go talk to the boss and convince him that id be a great addition to the team n everything. seeing this now i can’t believe how lucky he was! he did the right thing in the right moment and i guess thats all it takes! Awesome!

4. sfury says:

We love you, Mr. Timothy Schafer!

5. Joe The Wizard says:

Thank god neither Atari nor HP gave him a job.

6. Gap Gen says:

Bear in mind that if Tim Schafer hires you, he will (I quote) “yell, ‘Alright, back to work suckers. And no talking!’ And weld the door shut with everyone inside as I laugh and laugh and laugh.”

7. Lunaran says:

Began giggling uncontrollably at “Oddly enough, beneath it is a picture of you.”

8. Pidesco says:

Tim Schafer was paid a lot more 20 years ago than I’m paid now, even disregarding inflation. :(

Hire me Tim Schafer! I’m a European with a degree in English literature, love of games, writing, and glorious 1 month old sideburns. And I like starting sentences with “and”.

9. lumpi says:

““Yeah! I love Ball Blaster!” I said. It was true. I had broken a joystick playing that game on my Atari 800.

“Well, the name of the game is Ball Blazer.” Mr. Fox said, curtly. “It was only called Ball Blaster in the pirated version.”

Gulp.

Totally busted. It was true—I had played the pirated version. There, I said it. Now, if you’ve ever pirated one of my games you don’t need to feel bad, because I did it to Lucasfilm Games when I was in high school. Of course, if you’ve pirated two or more of my games, that’s a different story.”

YQMGWZ!!!! Tim Schaefer was a pirate!

10. Jazmeister says:

Everyone was a pirate once.

11. Vinraith says:

Ball Blazer rules, I still have a copy for my Atari 7800.

12. Rei Onryou says:

Even Mr. Schafer received rejection letters citing the “economic climate”. I feel like we’re brothers…

13. Lilliput King says:

Tim Schafer gives me the warm fuzzy feeling. Such a lovely post.

Please bring Brutal Legend to the PC so I can unreservedly love you :-(