Triple Elven Legacy Expansions

By Jim Rossignol on September 29th, 2009 at 8:50 pm.

A cryptic triptych of expansions has been announced for Paradox’s shiny fantasy strategy, Elven Legacy. Cleverly, they’ll be known as “the Elven Legacy Trilogy” and be released over the coming three months. They will cost $10 each via digital download magicks. Ranger, the first expansion, is due on October 20th and will feature 16 new campaign missions. Siege follows on November 17th and will contain 19 new campaign missions, and the arc concludes on December 1st with comprise of 15 new mission campaigns. They all include new items for hero characters, new units, and all that jazz. Seems like a bit of an expansion overload to me. Can there possibly be that much demand for more strategic fantasy happenings?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Vinraith says:

Good Lord, I’d better get it in gear and actually play the base game then, hadn’t I?

2. Heliosicle says:

It looked kinda crappy to me when I tried the demo, anyone know whether the full game was any good?

3. PodcastBlogVideogame says:

digital download

:nerdrage:

4. Nick says:

I must get around to buying this, I enjoyed Fantasy Wars quite a lot.

5. Mr. Sinister says:

“Can there possibly be that much demand for more strategic fantasy happenings?”

I certainly hope so!

• Vinraith says:

Me too! There’s nothing better than an overabundance of strategy games, except maybe an overabundance of RPG’s. Since this has aspects of both, it’s win-win.

6. GC says:

I really liked Fantasy Wars (more than King’s Bounty) but Elven Legacy was a bit short (and buggy).
    And there was far too much elves in it, I hope they’ll put variety in the addons.

7. Loren says:

Great turn-based game, can’t wait for the expansions.

8. jsutcliffe says:

I would like to play one of these games. Should I pick King’s Bounty or Elven Legacy? Which is more suited to semi-casual play.

• jsutcliffe says:

With a question mark instead of a full stop at the end, there.

• Loren says:

Between the two, King’s Bounty is the better game IMHO.

• Vinraith says:

They’re really two completely different subgenres. Try the demo for each and make an assessment from there, but there’s no redundancy in getting both.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

love these. guess this is the full rangers expansion split into three shorter things or something? regardless it’s awesome news. more better. hope ino-co do something like this for majesty2 aswell.

9. Namos says:

Tried the demo, but the lack of polish and those pesky elves did not pique my interest.
    Besides, can’t you get the same experience in Battle for Wesnoth?

10. Javier-de-Ass says:

oh weird, that wasn’t supposed to be a reply on there. arrr. whatever.

11. Hulk Hogan says:

Is this game so good I could enjoy it in spite of my hatred of (those xenophobic, tree hugging, over privileged/right wing reactionary ) elves?

How horrible are the elves vs. the quality of the game?

12. Mil says:

Aren’t you missing some capitals and HULK HOGAN SMASH in there?

In defence of the Elves, most fantasy races are usually presented as xenophobic. It’s a classical cliché.

13. Matzerath says:

So really, is this game any good or not? I’ve heard so many violently different opinions. And what’s up with the plot? I’m told it’s ‘politically incorrect’, which certainly sounds interesting, but what the hell does that mean in a fantasy setting?
    The elves are Nazi’s, aren’t they?

• Hulk Hogan says:

I guess that means the elves have themselves an orcish holocaust or maybe a human holacaust. I’m checking Wikipedia.

NAD FOR OLD TIMES SAKE IF THERE’S ANYTHING ABOUT HOLACUASTS I WILL BREAK THE ELF-KINGS SPINE OVER MY LEG THEN RIP HIS HEAD OFF SPINE ATTACHED TO ADMIRE MY GREAT WORK!

I don’t know it sounds pretty generic LOTR to me I guess the controversial stuff comes up later in the game.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE COMPLETED THE GAME TELL US
      Are all the evil humans swarthy arabs/gypsies/indians? Do you reenact your own fantasy holacaust? Is the controversy over the story being ripped off from Tolkien with little editing done?

14. Lintman says:

I’m curious also – is the base game worth getting?

As for demand, my guess on the triple expansion is that they realized asking $30 for an expansion for a $30 game is a tough sell in this economy, while $10 is still an impulse buy for many people.

15. GC says:

— Fantasy Wars / Elven Legacy VS King’s Bounty :
    Not the same genre. FW is hex turn by turn mission on big maps, while KB is walking a small army on a big map ant then resolve fights on small “arena” maps.

Simplest thing to do : try the demos !

— Politically Incorrect :
    Angry human farmers don’t like elves marching trough their fields to go save the world, bloodbath. No more politically incorrect than news on TV about Irak or Tibet, but really nothing directly related to the real world. You have some moral choices sometimes.

— Battle For Wesnoth :
    Same genre, I find the gameplay of Fantasy Wars better (graphics too but I won’t compare “D with 3D). Range Units can support attacked troops if close to them, and an excellent units level-up system, with interesting perks to choose, and small inventory for each unit.

— Worth getting ?