Gaming On Wheels: Skaters Play Tetris

By John Walker on September 30th, 2009 at 1:23 am.

I like the pretty colours.

Here’s your late night nonsense, discovered via the constantly excellent Swiss Miss. It’s a group of freeborders playing a Tetris-alike in the streets of San Francisco. It’s clearly intended as an ad for the Freebord, which appears to be a skateboard that goes sideways or something. But who cares! They made a pretty game-related thing!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Inanimotioon says:

Too bad I didn’t decide to attend the FRAs this year. A bunch of people I know are in that video!
    It’s been ALL over the internet I love it.

2. Esc says:

A pretty game related thing, in my city? And no one told me? Blast!

Sweet video, I want to get the track that is playing in the background.

3. Radiant says:

How awesome is tetris?

And how silly is skateboarding?
    Why would you want to make yourself look even more ridiculous by wearing a giant neon throwie on your head?

Buy a car… just one car is all it takes to end this silliness.

4. Radiant says:

You wouldn’t even have to be driving it.

5. MD says:

Those are not Tetris pieces! I was ready to enthuse, but if they’re going to use crazy 5-block pieces, they can stick it up their collective jumper.

:-[

6. sexyresults says:

kewl

7. Thiefsie says:

-1 vote for non tetrimodo pieces

8. Marshall says:

Too bad they’re going to have to trudge all the way back up those hills carrying those silly boards AND those slight-less-silly glowies on their backs.

They put in cable cars for a reason.

9. DarkNoghri says:

That’s rather nifty. They move like snowboards on streets. Cool.

@Marshall
    You realize that you can roll things uphill, right? You just need to push a little bit.

10. Derek K. says:

Why didn’t the skaters at the bottom vaporize when they filled in the lines?

11. Blast Hardcheese says:

Only terrorists use 5 block bits. Real Americans use the 4 block system made by that true American hero, Alexei Pajitnov.

Wait, am I reading that right?

12. Vinraith says:

Very cool, and an impressive bit of group coordination.

13. Inanimotioon says:

I’m guessing they didn’t use 4block tetris pieces for possible legal issues that may or may not arise.

14. JonnyBombs says:

How ridiculous are cars?

15. MultiVaC says:

Those things look like a lot of fun. Sort of like snowboards on pavement. But I can only imagine the brutal falls you’re bound to take from it.

16. Jeremy says:

And after last winter’s dismal snowboarding experience, I will not be getting one of these.

The video was alright, though had a bit of trouble seeing what was going on.

17. underproseductor says:

I want that in my town, but only with car crashes and shootouts..

18. Kevin says:

I assume you’d break the same way you would on a snowboard, torn sideways and lean on your edge…. it’s the logical thing.

As for going uphill with these, it’s impossible, your feet are locked in.

19. Maniac11919 says:

I didn’t think that was necessarily the case… I thought I had found a version or two that didn’t lock you in…

Ahh… Here: http://www.getboards.com/land/freeboards/freebord_x80.html

“Skyhooks” are what you need for that, apparently… Whatever those are…

20. Asymn says:

I dont really understand how it works and how much the plan is goign to come up as. Im planning on getting the new iphone thats coming out in july, single plan but i want unlimited texting. That adds 20$ but does that include using the internet? I mean it is the iphone. Youtube,, facebook,,, etc,,, is it only free with wifi or would that nclude the 3g networking as well?

________________