Goon For Gold: Xanadu Isn’t A Colour

By Kieron Gillen on October 1st, 2009 at 2:55 pm.

Seriously - a team made of John Walkers, all of them with an inefficient heal skill. Genius! Ish!
Sometimes… bless Champions Online. Bless those SA kids.

Not that they’re kids, of course, except the ones who are. But anyone in any kind of grouping are kids. We’re the RPS kids, despite me being older than the sun.

Well done Songbearer and the enormo-army of coloured goons. Also, here’s the full list of colours…

Red, Green, Blue, Pink, Yellow, Orange, Black, Maroon, Purple, Sepia, Lime, Gray, Puce, Xanadu, Teal, Mustard, Viridian, White, Cyan, Cerulean, Mango, Aqua, Salmon, Octarine, Light Urple, Ecru, Denim, Olive, Ochre, Eggplant, Brown, Sea Green, Burnt Sienna, Byzantium, Periwinkle, Turquoise, Forest Green, Blizzard (Blue), Burnt Umber, Magenta, Razzle Dazzle Rose, Celedon, Asparagus, Mahogany, Mauve, Chartreuse, Cerise, Moss, Hooloovoo, Heliotrope, Marmalade, Dodger Blue, Fuchsia, Myrtle, Smaragdine, Charcoal, Steel Blue, Sea Green, Coral, Azure, Violet, Lavender, Cornflower, Fuligin, Persimmon, Buttercup, Midnight Blue, Ivory, Saffron, Plum Crazy, Vermilion, Monochrome, Gold, Silver, Metallic, Cobalt, Jade, Ruby, Bronze, Amethyst, Chrome, Emerald, Saphire, Pearl, Lead, Rust, Zircon, Brass, Peridot.

Seriously: Xanadu is not a colour.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Rob Hale says:

Sometimes Something Awful do win at the internet.

This is one of those times.

2. RogB says:

im missing something as I have absolutely no clue as to what is going on here. Even admitting this makes me kind of uncomfortable, but there you go!

• Dominic White says:

Something Awful folks make Champions Online power-ranger themed megaguild. Simple as that.

• Clovis says:

Don’t worry, I didn’t get it either. I thought they were just griefing some existing Power Ranger themed MMO that I had never heard of. Then I was confused at the boring video that didn’t seem like griefing at all. Then I read the forum and was sad that no Power-Ranger Themed MMO exists.

• Ian says:

And now I want a Power Rangers MMO. :(

3. Dominic White says:

Awww, they started a new ranger supergroup? They had one in CoH as well, which I was part of. I think I was Cyan? Either way, good to see they’re back. Doubt there’ll be any slots for me once I get the game. Bah!

4. Vague-rant says:

Wow… Just wow.

Can’t say they lack imagination when it came to the colours

5. Clovis says:

I didn’t know “metallic” was a color.

Hooloovoo is the bestest of colors though!

6. Darthy says:

Go Go Asparagus Ranger!

7. Inigo says:

“What time is it, Eccles?”

Oh. Wait.

8. Lobotomist says:

Man this game looks so bad. And yes creating power ranger group is probably the best way to have some fun in it

9. Alexander Norris says:

For some reason, the bit at ~1:22-1:26 looks like they’re pulling off some sort of awesome group super-move where they all pile in and punch the bad guy once, which actually made me want to play Champions pretty much on its own even though I know it was just luck that they all seemed to be attacking in a certain order.

Oh, well. I’m broke, so no Champions for me.

10. kikito says:

Octarine. Octarine.

11. GJLARP says:

Salmon is a color! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

12. TotalBiscuit says:

Doing stupid stuff and fake-rping characters is the best way to play this game.

We’re putting together a Fighting Game Character Supergroup at the moment –

Dan Hibeki and M Bison – http://bit.ly/90H4x
    Dhalsim – http://img245.imageshack.us/i/simt.jpg/

We have a Subzero as well, it’s all rather delicious.

13. Wulf says:

Wait, what? They’re ripping off the Super Sentai videos of the City of Heroes era (which were actually done lots better) and people are congratulating them and saying they win for what’s basically a cheap rip off?

…sometimes, Internet people, you confuse me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4I5zCz0wVw – This is how a Super Sentai video should be done. These SA kids didn’t come up with the idea, they’re just ripping off stuff that people did better in CoX. Now, if the Sentai Force showed up in Champions Online and made a video, golly I’d be excited!

I mean, the Sentai Force even had putties! I’m ashamed to admit I know anything about the Power Rangers of course, but that’s what you get for watching it with the kids. And the first series wasn’t too horrible.

But I digress. SA goons should not be thanked for bad rip-offs which have been done better.

• TotalBiscuit says:

I would be extremely surprised if at least one goon was not involved in the original videos. There are over 100,000 of them on their forums alone y’know. We are everywhere. Also you sound bitter as hell, just for your information.

• Rob Hale says:

Your definition of better is clearly mixed up with “Worse”. The Something Awful version takes it all the way up to 11 and then keeps going to 9000.

• Spoon says:

Indeed, the goon video is clearly better. Who cares who did it first, its not like either of them are an entirely original idea. Plus, the goon video has the godhand song in it. Godhand is AWESOME.

• Dominic White says:

The Goon video is better purely because they have a JAM Project soundtrack. A band who specifically do epic heroic themes and NOTHING ELSE.

Other example:

They make anything more over-the-top and awesome.

• Tei says:

Sorry Wulf, I have to side with the people that say the Goon video is better. I am sure you are including other factors, because with everything you show, everything other people show, and my own findings, the goon video is about a 8000% times better than the other. Just check that on the old video the camera is mostly static. It look to me like a very static video ..

• Masked Dave says:

Somebody in this thread has already said that they had a group like this in CoH too, so it probably was them.

And now I want to play CoH.

Wait. No. Now I want to be a Power Ranger :(

ZORDS!

14. Nurdbot says:

The pink one with boobs was a man in the Japanese version.

Seriously, if you see a SA goon hug him or her. Awesome work.

15. no says:

Ah. Power Rangers. Yeah, I wouldn’t have figured that out being that I’m not fourteen years old.

I really regret wasting $50 to buy this game. I played it for about four to six hours and have never touched it since. That’s what I really dislike bout MMOs charging subscriptions *and* initial client purchase fees. I essentially spent $13/hr for the “entertainment”.

16. Dominic White says:

Oh yeah. Any bets that Ranger Octarine is a magical type?

17. Bromite says:

Xanadu isn’t a color, and we give him shit for it all the time :)

18. Gladman says:

Monochrome ranger, he’s my favourite.

19. TooNu says:

Goons…nobody really likes the Goons except other Goons. This video was entertaining though thanks for sharing :)

20. Spider says:

Wulf, were you part of that old video? ’cause there isn’t any other reason to brag about it…

21. Railick says:

I’ve seen more and more about power rangers recently. They just did a power rangers related act on America’s Got Talent, very strange how certain things just drift in and out of your life.

22. Gentacle says:

The Millenia Rangers operate on incidental zeitgeist in order to bring burning justice for all.

23. WL says:

Also, Octarine is what you might call a “Mystic Ranger”.

24. phuzz says:

I like the subliminal advert at the end:

BE GOOD TEEN LIKE MILLENIA RANGER!

BUY RANGER MERCHANDISE
    INCREASE PROFIT AND RATING FOR BURNING JUSTICE

YOU BUY FOR JUSTICE!

25. Rhjamiz says:

Octarine does indeed use the Sorcery powerset.

26. Malibu Stacey says:

Goons are the only reason for playing MMOs tbh (no I’m not one of them).

Ah how they made EVE-Online much more interesting with their epic battle against the evil BoB overlords.

27. Q says:

I always thought this related video was quite good…and cheesy as all get out! (COH)

28. Q says:

Are we talking the 1st American Sentai Team, The Zyurangers turned into Mighty Morphin? It wasn’t the pink Ptera ranger that was a boy, lol, it was the Yellow Sabretooth one. That’s why he was flat with no skirt! His name was even “Boi”! :)

Comment on this story