Quiz To Do. Also, Kieron Murdered.

By The Monster That Killed Kieron on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:43 pm.

Hullo. I just killed Kieron. He was typing quietly in IM trying to avoid my attention, but John Walker did something in capitals, so I heard it. I have now killed him. He’s lying on the floor, and I’m having the occasional nibble. Nothing quite like New New Games Journalists to chew on. He appears to have left a half-done post here, so I’m going to do it, before pressing on and hunting down Walker. I can smell his spoor, so he can’t escape me. Apparently, PC Gamer twittered this quiz which categorizes what sort of gamer you are. Apparently you’ll find it fun. And here’s a list of what assorted gaming luminaries have got…

Wait – these are all journalists. That doesn’t sound very luminescent to me.

Ex-PC Zone editor Will Porter is a Survivor-Seeker!

Ex-PC Format Dan Griddleoctopus is a Seeker-Socialiser!

Un-Ex-RPSer John Walker is a Seeker-Mastermind!

Un-Ex-Anything Lewis Denby is a Survivor-Daredevil!

Ex-PC Format Un-Ex OXM Mike Channel is a Daredevil-Mastermind, which he describes as a “Pretentious Thicky”.

Un-Ex-Microsoft-Lackey-in-chief Jon Hicks is a Seeker-Daredevil!

Un-Ex-Whatever-He’s-up-to-now-is-it-still-PC-plus?er Richard Cobbett is a Mastermind Seeker.

Ironically, Ex-living Kieron was a Survivor-Seeker. “You like pulse-pounding risks and escaping from hideous and scary threats as well as finding strange and wonderful things or finding familiar things”, apparently. Sadly, he failed to escape and the strange and wonderful thing found him.

You’re next, Walker.

, , .

1. coupsan says:

Kieron had it coming.

2. PureHalibut says:

Daredevil Socialiser, it has a certain ring to it.

3. Heliosicle says:

Seeker-Conqueror.

Yay?

4. James Allen says:

Daredevil-Conqueror for me.

5. Ian says:

Survivor-Conquerer.

Sounds more multiplayer-loving and completionist than I am.

6. Jacques says:

Seeker-Daredevil, apparently.

7. Jaffo says:

Mastermind-Conqueror

Socialiser: 3 <- sounds about right!

8. Lack_26 says:

Seeker-Socialiser apparently..

9. SirKicksalot says:

Survivor-Seeker with the No Mercy exception, and this is bullshit (especially the No Mercy part).
    I don’t like the games they say I like.
    I don’t usually play multiplayer precisely because I don’t want to hurt or annoy the other players. I hate team-based games because I don’t want to be the noob that frustrates the others, I don’t want to be the weak link. In Quake Live (where I only play FFA), I’m one of the few that doesn’t kill AFK players, because I know they’ll feel like shit when they get back.

10. klumhru says:

Conqueror-Socialiser.

“You like defeating impossibly difficult foes, struggling until you eventually achieve victory, and beating other players as well as hanging around with people you trust and helping people.”

Right on.

“No Commitment: You dislike being asked to complete everything, preferring to pick and choose which tasks you will attempt, or simply messing around with a game.”

Thwaddlegob

11. pepper says:

Seeker-Mastermind. Problem is, most of the things they list in the I love it- I hate it, i really do love. I dont think they got a lot of usefull data out of that from me.

Example: Driving around in the Daimler as a tanker in the WaW(World at War) Tournament, and constantly flanking enemy Panthers with my company captain, nothing has ever made my heartbeat explode that much when playing a game. Why? You have to a. make sure nobody is watching him, b. Drive up behind him, and then hit him in the sweet spot. If you mis, chances are you will be dead. Everytime i drove away after i kill i felt a moment of supreme victory, which i find unlikely to ever have again in a game. The only other instance i feel this is when i jump out of a plane.

12. Spd from Russia says:

I took the quiz. good, except for the ‘horror’ part – I simply dont get scared by games at all and find most survivor-horror games utterly boring, thus I find the answer option “dont like being scared” incorrect
    Conqueror-Seeker

13. hydra9 says:

Seeker-Conqueror, though not much of the ‘Conqueror’ stuff applies to me.

And Kieron’s body may be dead, but he already uploaded his consciousness and is doing horrible things to himself in The Sims 3.

14. Elusive Pastry says:

Mastermind-Conqueror

I use complex strategy to better hear the lamentations of your women.

• RogB says:

hahah awesome!

DarkNoghri says:

Conqueror-Mastermind here.

We should team up. Together, we would be unstoppable! MWAHAHAHAHA.

DarkNoghri says:

You like defeating impossibly difficult foes, struggling until you eventually achieve victory, and beating other players as well as solving puzzles and devising strategies.

With Seeker and Daredevil close behind.

15. FhnuZoag says:

Seeker-Socialiser, no committment, no punishment.

16. Ybfelix says:

Seeker-Mastermind.

» No Fear: You do not enjoy feeling afraid, preferring to feel safe or in control.
    Correct

» No Mercy: You rarely if ever care about hurting other players’ feelings – mercy is for the weak!
    Actually it’s that I don’t want to play with others

ps: “South Asia (incl. China, India and Japan) ” this is just weird.

17. Schmung says:

Socialiser-Conqueror apparently, though this seems rather off to me. I answered the questions as best I could, but the result doesn’t’ seem to reflect what I actually enjoying.

They should should put in a bit where it tells you what sort of gaming system you should use just to piss people off.

18. jsutcliffe says:

I love how 90% of these comments don’t express any concern for Kieron being dead.

• Dan (WR) says:

Kieron is a comic book man now. There’s always a clone or interdimensional replacement.

• Ybfelix says:

Undead Kieron, now this fad of zombie-shoehorning in videogame industry is getting out of hand!

19. Kismet says:

Mastermind-Seeker here, with "No Commitment: You dislike being asked to complete everything, preferring to pick and choose which tasks you will attempt, or simply messing around with a game" as exception.
    Sounds about right. Also, it means that if I were an animal, I'd be an Octocat.

• JonFitt says:

Mastermind-Seeker

Mastermind: 18
      Seeker: 18
      Survivor: 12
      Achiever: 12
      Socialiser: 9
      Daredevil: 8
      Conqueror: -4

You like solving puzzles and devising strategies as well as finding strange and wonderful things or finding familiar things.

» No Punishment: You dislike struggling to overcome seemingly impossible challenges, and repeating the same task over and over again.

Sounds about right!

20. Theory says:

Your BrainHex Sub-Class is Socialiser-Mastermind.

You like hanging around with people you trust and helping people as well as solving puzzles and devising strategies.

Each BrainHex Class also has an Exception, which describes what you dislike about playing games. Your Exceptions are:

Spot on, except perhaps that I generally don’t have the patience for long-term strategising. I’m impressed.

21. Dan (WR) says:

Daredevil-Survivor.

Achiever -4, just like all my teachers said. ;_;

22. Colthor says:

Survivor-Seeker, which sounds about right. As does “Socialiser: 0″.

But the “No Mercy” exception is quite wrong, for exactly the reasons SirKicksalot posted.

23. Jacques says:

Can we send congratulation to the RPS monster's email?

24. westyfield says:

Socialiser-Seeker.
    That last question was a real pain, I like all of those things!

25. Some Guy says:

mastermind concqueror.

26. Farfarer says:

I am a seeker-mastermind. Apparently.

27. underproseductor says:

Seeker-Mastermind. Suits me well enough.

28. xaphoo says:

Seeker-Conqueror. Makes sense to me. I love exploration first, and cleverly blowing things up second.

29. Smithee says:

I got Survivor-Seeker, also with the tagged-on “No Mercy.” Survivor-Seeker sounds about right, but No Mercy? When I play multiplayer games they’re generally only the cooperative sort, since I really don’t take much pleasure in mercilessly defeating human opponenets. Heck, sometimes I care about not hurting the feelings of the AI.

30. nemolom says:

I came out as a seeker-socializer, and I’m not surprised – it does fit. However, what I enjoy the most in a game there are few games providing: Building, being truly creative. Second Life offers it to a limited degree, the Sims games offer some, that contraption game (I forget its name) gives a taste of it, Spore has elements of it, any games character creation has some, Little Big Planet has some of it – but there are no games truly focusing on it as the meat of the game. I guess what I’m talking about is the same process that brings joy to an artist showing off his or her work. I don’t think it would be right calling it achiever behavior?

31. Donald Duck says:

Survivor-Mastermind! Ha. Muahahaha!

Vandelay says:

I got a Survivor-Mastermind – “You like pulse-pounding risks and escaping from hideous and scary threats as well as solving puzzles and devising strategies.”

My exception was no commitment – “You dislike being asked to complete everything, preferring to pick and choose which tasks you will attempt, or simply messing around with a game.”

I think that sounds about right. For me, it is far more important for a game to be atmospheric and to draw me into the world (although I find it irrelevant whether that world is very controlled by the developer or not.) I do find horror to be very effective in games.

The exception is probably less true, but still has an element of truth. I’m not interested in getting achievements, unless there is some reward to be had. For example, in Team Fortress 2 I would be going for the achievements to unlock the weapons, but wouldn’t bother going for them once I had all the weapons (even if I wasn’t that interested in the weapons.) Similarly, I’m playing Prototype and very much enjoying running around the city and doing all the side-missions. But, that is to do with finding the missions fun rather than wanting to complete them all.

My socialiser was down to 3, so I was kind of surprised that I didn’t get the no mercy exception that many here got. I was certainly very down on playing with others. Not particular because I dislike playing with others, but I generally prefer single player games.

• Donald Duck says:

Vandelay yeah that’s pretty close to how I answered and feel about games. In the “name three games you like” section I put Thief, chess and Monkey Island.

32. Richard Clayton says:

Your BrainHex Class is Mastermind.

Your BrainHex Class Your BrainHex Sub-Class is Mastermind-Seeker.

Not sure it really describes me but maybe what I enjoy doing. Yes, I like solving problems. But I like it better if I can solve the problem by shooting my way out.

However I am a bit of a control freak I guess and really dislike horror/terror in games.

Interesting quiz. The sacrifice of Kieron was worth it.

• Richard Clayton says:

An Octopus-Cat… quite an antisocial animal, that….

33. Alex says:

You know what would be cool? If for the icon they give you, they combine the animals you would be in the description (found on their website). For example seeker-conquerer would be cat-shark. Much cooler.

34. Nick says:

Daredevil – Seeker

35. Dood says:

Socialiser-Mastermind. Guess that explains my fondness of MoWs-cooperative-mode.
    Oh and R.I.P. Kieron.

36. Starky says:

Conqueror-Mastermind.
    » No Wonder: You dislike being asked to search for things, preferring clearly defined tasks.

Seems pretty fitting, as much as these “personality” test things usually are.

Still, Conqueror-Mastermind is a bloody awesome title.

Now all of you bow down before Starky your leader and GodKing! Or I shall crush you beneith my cunning plans and fiendish plots!

• Starky says:

Still, as amusing as this is nothing is that clear cut.
      I hated Braid, yet am one of the 0.4% of players with the Apature science achievement (100% complete) in Portal.
      I’m also more of an FPS player than I am a RTS player… so make of that what you will.

Also: Beneath, not beneith.

• Carra says:

Another mastermind conqueror here!

Thinks first, wtfpwn later.

DarkNoghri says:

I shall NOT bow down to you, as I have the same class!

DarkNoghri says:

Also, fear my Sharktopus wrath.

37. Jae Armstrong says:

Mastermind: 17
    Achiever: 15
    Seeker: 12
    Conqueror: 9
    Survivor: 7
    Daredevil: 5
    Socialiser: -1

Apparently I am some manner of sociopathic Octopus-Beaver hybrid with a cocaine addiction.

Yeah, okay, I can roll with that.

38. RHippy says:

Seeker-Mastermind. Can’t complain. I like the logo thingummy…

39. Gotem says:

Mastermind-Survivor
    the perfect combination to try to take over the world

40. Obdicut says:

I think the main problem with this test is it asks about what you feel most rewarded by, but not what you seek most actively.

For example, it told me I was a Socializer-Conquerer– I’m sure one of the reasons was I rated “A moment when you feel an intense sense of unity with another player.” at a 7.

The thing is, though, I don’t try to seek that out. I don’t ever expect it. I love it when it happens, but I’ve never found any reliable way of making that happen. Some of my favorite moments in gaming have been when my players actions and another synchronized– but primarily because of the rarity of it.

What drives me to play the games I love, and my favorite moments in my gaming life, are entirely separate animals.

41. Bantros says:

Conqueror-Seeker. According to your results, there are few play experiences that you strongly dislike

Very true

42. Namos says:

Achiever-Seeker, apparently. Though I get the feeling this test require a bit of a thinkywonk before I could really accept this interpretation of my gaming style.
    Also got the stupid “No mercy” exception which can’t seem to differentiate between being a total asshole and a dislike of playing with others.

43. Gundato says:

Survivor-Conquerer

The Survivor is spot on, but I am not so sure if Conquerer really applies

Survivor: 17
    Conqueror: 17
    Daredevil: 12
    Mastermind: 10
    Achiever: 8
    Socialiser: 7
    Seeker: 5

44. lefishy says:

Seeker somethingelser…

It got my hatred of pointlessly hard challenges right though.

45. Phlebas says:

Mastermind-Seeker. Predictably.
    Will the monster now have to write Thor?

46. Nighthood says:

“Your BrainHex Sub-Class is Survivor-Seeker.

You like pulse-pounding risks and escaping from hideous and scary threats as well as finding strange and wonderful things or finding familiar things.

» No Commitment: You dislike being asked to complete everything, preferring to pick and choose which tasks you will attempt, or simply messing around with a game.”

This thing is bloody accurate. I love scarier games and other “run the fuck away oh god there’s something after me where is it oh god” type games (I LOVE Stalker). It’s also accurate in that I really do hate being forced to wander about trying to find things, I’d rather just have fun rather than grind and wander about searching for a near impossible item.

47. Bret says:

Seeker: 17
    Conqueror: 15
    Survivor: 11
    Achiever: 11
    Mastermind: 9
    Daredevil: 8
    Socialiser: 5

Not bad.

I do enjoy finding new and interesting places…

And then murdering all the inhabitants with rocket launchers. It’s good stuff.

48. Railick says:

Seeker-Conqueror : P

49. Axiin says:

Daredevil-Socializer, Although conqueror was only 1 point away from socializer. (16/15/14 respectively)

“You like rushing around at heights or high speed while you are still in control as well as hanging around with people you trust and helping people.” I am a squad based FPS junkie (I loved BF2 before it got full of h4x0rZ)

I was bothered by the Daredevil result at first. I then remembered two things.

1) I absolutely love the rush of adrenaline I get when engaging in even the most minor PVP in Eve.
    2) I recently started playing prototype and got a similar rush the first hour or two every single time I’d jump off a really high building, it was like I was actually free falling, that got me wanting to do it over and over again =)

50. Railick says:

It appears I’m a 0 achiever! :( I don’t know how I got 0 in another I never choose strongly dislike for any of the questions lol.