Angrytank Time: COD:MW2 PC Delayed

By Alec Meer on October 5th, 2009 at 7:59 pm.

raaaaaaage

Come on everybody! Climb aboard! This is the Angrytank Express, headed direct to Stop Screwing Over The PC You Massive Bastards city. Like pretty much every fuggin’ thing that has a multi-platform release, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on PC has, it now transpires, been delayed. Only by a fortnight, but still – for God’s sakes. Toot toot! The Angrytank Is Go!

The facts – Modern Warfare 2 is released on November 10th for the consoles, but November 24th for PC. LOAD THE RAGE TORPEDO.

On its own, it’s not something I’d be firing up the Angrytank for, but the number of other games that have been delayed, most especially their PC versions, means us merry bunch aren’t going to have the merry time that those merrier console types will in November. No official reason’s been given for this betrayalette of the platform that launched Call of Duty, but it’s horribly easy to conjecture wildly and recklessly.

Bitter Theory Number One, Activision-Blizzard doesn’t really give a monkey’s epiglottis about PC, compared to the mega-sales it’ll surely lure on PS3 and 360. That we at RPS have essentially never had any communication with anyone at Actard about any of their games certainly makes me reach for my tinfoil hat in this regard. They don’t do much these days to suggest the PC is an important platform to them anymore. Could it be a case of get the console launches as right as possible, and grudgingly finish up the PC version and whatever packing/DRM/whatever is necessary once that’s all done?

Bitter Theory Number Two, could it be fears of piracy – making sure leeched launch-week copies of MW2 PC don’t disrupt the -ahahahahah – torrent of console sales? It’s possible, and a theory that’s frequently raised in response to this kind of news. Forever a contentious argument, but not one that looks like it’ll go away in a hurry.

Or is it to ensure MW2 PC is absolutely, bang-on perfect right? I’d hope for the latter – and it’s certainly fair to say Infinity Ward have never let down this platform in that regard. Even MW1, for all its barnstorming console success, had a robust and beautiful PC version rather than a case of Pull The Magic ‘Port’ Lever. Hopefully we’re on track for a similarly shiny experience, and perhaps that extra fortnight is necessary to ensure it. So if MW2 turns out to be a wobbly port, I’m adding an extra turret to my angrytank.

Or it’s just a manufacturing/distribution snafu, in which case I’m being quite the drama queen. Still, this is the biggest games publisher in the world – surely they can work out how to make a bunch of plastic discs on time?

And so the Angrytank pauses for a moment, unsure whether or not to roll furiously onwards. What should it do?

, , , , .

1. Adam says:

They’re doing this to stop piracy hurting console sales?
    Well I guess since the delay stops the hurt I can pirate it then?

2. kafka7 says:

Of all the things in life to get angry about, I would say games are the least important.

• Ziv says:

But we’re angry internet men! that’s what we do!

nah but seriously this probably just means I’ll have more time on it because it won’t be interfering w/ other games released in that month.

• Gorgeras says:

You’re posting this on a blog about games. I’ll leave you to consider the implications of this obvious logiwang.

3. TheLordHimself says:

I really don’t get all the hype behind this game. Modern Warfare one was good but I don’t understand why it was tauted as the best game ever by so many people. Was it just because the caliber of FPS games on the console is so crap in comparison to PC that it made it look like God: The Game?

• Rinox says:

The answer to that would probably be: yes

• hitnrun says:

Basically, yes. It’s the same thing as it was with Halo, and Goldeneye.

“Console shooter” is its own genre. They’re perfectly enjoyable and I’ve even grown to love them since I’ve converted back to consoles, but they aren’t really a rival to the traditional FPS. They emphasize the strengths of consoles (matchmaking and sideways-8 compatibility and accessibility) and use crutches to get around the weakness (actually fucking aiming at and shooting things).

COD4 was certainly the best yet of that genre, but it isn’t really a definitive experience of shooting guys.

• pignoli says:

Yeah, pretty much meh. Okay, a meh delayed by two weeks. Oh well.

• Dante says:

I both agree and disagree with this. While the game’s largely multiplayer based success could well be linked to the ‘Halo Effect’, the single player of the first game was genuinely excellent in terms of narrative. Making COD4, bizzarely, one of the most overrated and underrated games of our time.

• Rinox says:

I dunno. The magic health regeneration thing still rubs me the wrong way and breaks the immersion for me. And I can’t even blame the consoles for that. :-(

• lumpi says:

@hitnrun: I couldn’t have said it better. I love Goldenye. But the thought of playing it with a keyboard makes me cringe…

4. Rinox says:

As much as I like making a good AIM rant, the CoD series has long outrun my interest in it. :-(

I’ll spare my bile for the next Dragon Age teaser/trailer.

5. ZIGS says:

As long as obscure Eastern-European developers keep releasing obscure PC exclusives that no one else knows about, I’m happy

• Dood says:

Speaking of obscure Eastern-European PC exclusives… Does anyone know a release date for Men of War: Red Tide?

• ComVlad says:

@ZIGS Seconded, I think the only big name games I care about at this point are Borderlands, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect 2, the rest of my interest is taken up by 1c’s catalogue. And on that note:
      @Dood 1c’s website lists MOW: REd tide as October 30th along with KB:Armored Princess and Star Wolves 3–clearly these people have no clue how hard it is for a college student to procure bout a hundred bucks and sufficient time to play 3good strategy games

6. Nick says:

I’d just like to thank you. “Adding an extra turret to my angrytank” actually made me laugh out loud.

7. Tunips says:

While it’s hardly surprising – everyone else is doing it – the certainty or the release date has been a big part of their marketing from the get-go. The only useful piece of information in the announcement trailer was that very date. That really grinds my gears.

8. Corion says:

If they’re going to treat us like second-rate customers either way, we might as well act like it.

9. LoopyDood says:

ALWAYS ANGRY.

Ahem. Somebody finish that.

• Icarus says:

ALL THE TIME

Yeah, I’m pretty dissapointed at this considering that pretty much ALL of the major PC releases have been delayed to avoid the release of this. And now the game that caused all the delays is delayed itself!

ALWAYS ANGRY ALL THE TIME

• Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Activision’s gone and done it again. This calls for a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

10. Railick says:

Though games are the least important thing to get angry at I’d rathet get angry at games than my wife or kids (the only other thing that makes me angry)

11. autogunner says:

who cares? deathmatch multiplayer is soooo 2005

12. Buemba says:

I don’t mind the delay. What does bother me is that Activision is gonna sell the PC version for $ 60.00, and that also makes me think that this time around we won’t be getting the DLC packs for free.

Now that I think about it, the only high profile multiplatform game I can think of that is being released on the PC at the same time as the console versions is Dragon Age, and that’s a PC-centric title to begin with.

13. Railick says:

Don’t worry Buemba they’ll delay Dragon Age too

14. The Colonel says:

I’m in bored with the don’t care committee I’m afraid. Another boring console shooter?

15. Persus-9 says:

My general theory of short multiplatform PC delays is that a lot of these are down to the certification processes on the consoles. They have to get the console versions finished early to pass certification weeks before release. That means that if they’re going to make things in an efficient fashion they have to delay a large portion of the PC work until after they submit the console versions to certification. That in turn means that if there’s any slip in the schedule then the bit at the end of the schedule, which is putting the finishing touches to the PC version, slips passed the date they’d need to get it too the printers in order to make the release date and so they delay the PC version of the game a couple of weeks. There might be more sinister things going on in some cases but in general I reckon that is the explanation.

16. pilouuuu says:

It’s all consoles and consolers fault! I wish I could play a mod with the sniper mission in which you could shoot an Xbox360 or PS3. Or even better, shoot one in real life! Stupid consoles! They are the reason we have dumbed down games and have to wait more for them.

Developers must think: “if we release the console version and release the PC version which is cheaper, has better graphics, the chance to play with mouse and keyboard and Nvidia 3d Vision, there would be no one insane enough to buy the console version”.

Don’t worry developers. Console gamers are THAT dumb and you will sell a lot of console versions even with the enhanced PC version available at the same time.

• Seth says:

See, the reason I started reading RPS was because it was a place to read and talk about pc games without having to read asinine shit like this.

• Psychopomp says:

So, how do you explain the good, original, innovative console only games?

17. NeonBlackJack says:

I’m confused. Are we in a tank or a train?

18. subedii says:

I realise this is the “angry thread but…

See this guy? Don’t be this guy.

Of course I am ignoring the possibility that this is sarcasm, but it’s unfortunately difficult to tell since you see even less cohesive rhetoric expressed with absolute sincerity every day.

19. subedii says:

Also, why does the reply button only work half the time?

20. Duffin says:

Maybe they will use this time to make the single player campaign more than 4 hours and 3 minutes and 6 seconds long. Does anyone actually know the estimated length of the single player?

21. Serenegoose says:

the fact that call of duty’s single player offerings have becoming decreasingly lengthy with every sequel is why this 2 week delay is inconsequential to me. I’ll be only picking this thing up when it hits £20, to actually get what I can, with great reluctance, call my moneys worth. And I don’t imagine it’ll be that cheap for a while.

• Vinraith says:

Exactly. At this point I wish they’d pull a Valve and just divide the series into SP and MP components. If your game is going to be 95% MP, just go ahead and make it MP only. Make a separate game with a real amount of SP content, and release it whenever it’s done. That I would buy.

22. Impossible says:

Yep, because by delaying the game a week they can build another 15-20 hours of content easy.

23. Starky says:

In a way though, for all the huffing over it in this thread, it will promote piracy.
    It’s a self defeating strategy, one I understand It’s to push the PC + console owners to buy on console. A console where DLC earns money; PC gamers get it free because PC owners won’t pay for 3 badly designed (but pretty) maps. Maps using recycled single player content that if the game had a SDK/modding tool set the community would have created in about 2-3 weeks from launch – speaking specifically of CoD4 here.

Now, this game is a 100% buy from me, Activision will get my money (if there was a way I could pay infinity ward bypassing Activision I would in a second).

That said if this game leaked I’d download it – downloading it would take me about 4 hours (go-go 50mbit line), and I’d play the single player quite happily.
    Then when it was available to buy, I’d buy it – maybe (as I usually do) wait a 2 or 3 weeks for the price to drop a bit. Though probably not with this game – It’s a first day buy short of it sticking up the metacritic and getting universally panned by gamer and critic alike.

Just like I do American shows I Iike; because it takes them 3-6 months to get to UK television.

Stargate Universe, airing only a week (less than?) behind US airing, means I watch it on Sky. Usually live but I have it on series link.
    Flashforward airing on channel 5 only a week behind the US means I watch it on TV. Watched it live tonight, and Sky+ed it.

Supernatural on the other hand will be a good 8 or so Episodes behind the US by the time it airs in the UK. I can’t wait, so I download it.
    The makers of the show won’t lose out, they’ll get their money from ITV (I believe) and from me (when I inevitably buy the box set), but ITV will lose out as me as a viewer.

When it comes to PC games, it works much the same way – often if a game is delayed on the PC I’ll rent it for the 360, intending to buy it later for my PC.
    Often, quite often indeed that means I’ll never buy it.

Morals are debatable, copyright infringement isn’t stealing and as far as I care I’m doing nothing wrong – It’s almost 2010, and if companies want to make money in the busy consumer market they need to be able to provide entertainment on the consumers terms.

I’m willing to pay, I have the means, but when the companies involved refuse to offer me the legitimate means to do so in a reasonable time frame from market availability (usually US market availability, but just as often with Japanese games) I’ll use whatever means are at my disposal to get the content I want.
    Legal is preferable (renting, importing, playing at a friends, or borrowing it – which is perfectly legal) – but I’ll go illegal if I have too and download it.

Irony is I’ve probably “pirated” more things I legally own than things I don’t.
    I can’t be the only one who downloads movie DVDrips from torrent sites because it’s easier and faster doing that than ripping the DVD I legally own so I can have a digital copy to watch on my various stuff.
    Same thing is true for games sometimes, my laptop doesn’t have a dvd drive, and some games are a bitch to successfully rip, so I download them.

Good thing that isn’t illegal – Still, I’m in the “pirate” statistics for grand theft auto 4, CoD4, Rone Total War (+ expansions – seriously someone made a “unzip and run” version of that game + expansions, much better to have than installing via CDs…) and many more games I legally own.

Final note, I’ll pay for content – I’ll reward creativity – but I’ll be damned if I’m paying for the same product several times based simply on the format it’s on.

El_MUERkO says:

BAKBLKJFHFUHEIUHFOHGOU!!!

/pram != toys

25. Kadayi says:

Delay suits me fine tbh as I’m expecting/hoping that Alpha Protocol will eat up most of November game play wise.

I’d say probably there is some degree of truth to all 3 theories. Delaying the PC release and thus ensuring a lack of launch day piracy on the platform that might impact upon sales certainly seems like a viable theory. MW2 is a likely to be a day one purchase/must play by any means necessary game for most people, so removing the pirate opinion for a couple of weeks might break the wills of a few people who might ordinarily pirate the title to go out and buy a legal copy, though it does rely upon them being console owners, which isn’t a given. Polishing and not giving a shit about the PC probably factors into it a lot more though I suspect.

• Gentacle says:

Alpha Protocol’s probably been stealth delayed so I guess november’s fucked for ya. :(

• Kadayi says:

@Gentacle

A rumour that’s not been remotely confirmed. If it was truly down for an alleged 8 month delay, I’d expect it to have been pulled from Steam Pre-order by now.

• mrmud says:

Obsidian devs have said that they are unable to speak about whatever is going on with the game so that at least implies something

• Gentacle says:

Said rumor got confirmed. Pessimism wins out any day.

26. etho says:

I’d guess a combination of the last two theories. The first one seems flawed by virtue of the fact that the “ard” in Actard comes from a hugely successful PC-specific developer that shows no signs of decamping for the land of the console. And sure, Blizzard surely has nothing to do with this decision, but the company they are a part of could hardly be accused of not caring about PC’s, considering the sheer gobs of cash they make off of WoW.

• DK says:

Stuffing their mouths with PC-derived cake does not mean they care about the PC – they care about the cake. This is Activision-10-Guitar-Hero-skews-per-year-or-bust-Blizzard. The only thing they care about is: Quote “that a game can be made into a franchise”

Sagan says:

Come on RPS, you’re baiting the AIM a little too often recently.

I for one still intend to buy this game. I don’t care about the delay. It doesn’t affect my views about the game, and I probably won’t remember it in a couple months.

28. Zerotime says:

Honestly? The 360 I bought in February has very much been making up for the graphics card that died in my PC back in March. Hopefully I’ll still remember how to use a mouse by the time Diablo 3 comes out.

29. Zerotime says:

30. drcancerman says:

I see no reason to buy it, I’m going to wait for a review, if this doesn’t get a 92% or more in score, I will only spend my hard earned money on a second hand copy, or when it lowers the price considerably.
    No collectors edition, not even the other “collectors” edition that is coming out.

Do they hate the PC this much? Piracy is as rampant in the consoles as it is on the pc, cheap excuse from Activision.

Anyone remember Prototype? That POS is the buggiest port I’ve ever layed my hands on! Yeah, Boiling Point was as well, but at least it was playable, Gears of War? Still playable! Prototype… I can’t even use the bloody menu!

I used to respect Activision so much… now with even $10 more? Games here in the UK is going at about £25 to £30 on launch date… but mostly £25. The bloody thing is £35! What? Am I paying a console game for my pc with console prices?!

Yes, I’m just one more passenger of the forgotten PC hate train.

• Psychopomp says:

“Piracy is as rampant in the consoles as it is on the pc, ”

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• malkav11 says:

I love how people confuse “piracy exists on consoles” and “piracy is exactly as prevalent on consoles as on PC”. The two are not synonymous.

• drcancerman says:

malkav11:

You are right, I wrote that in anger… Well I still am, but slightly calmer.

31. CaseytheBrash says:

Roll.

32. TheRealCJ says:

What really gets me is that this is probably the biggest release… Scratch that, THE biggest release this year.

So now I’m going to have to avoid all the Game and tech websites and blogs just to avoid spoilers.

33. Nobody Important says:

Where do you load the Rage Missile?

34. Jayt says:

I should be angry, but these games are shithouse

35. MD says:

I’m not going to be the guy who comes in here and has a whinge about people taking games too seriously. But even in this context, and relative to other game-related issues, what is the big deal about waiting an extra couple of weeks?

36. Quercus says:

I think it is a superficial delay requested by Activision to promote the console versions more.
    Two weeks certainly isn’t long enough to do anything with it and I suspect the PC version will go gold at the same time as the console versions anyway.

Here’s a wacky thought – Maybe RPS (being journalists and all that) should have a word with “Actard” about why they haven’t had any communications from them regarding PC games.
    Maybe you should start a campaign of asking tough questions to games developers and publishers and be a bit more demanding about why PC gaming, despite being a bigger market than console gaming, despite causing most of the innovation within software and hardware development and despite being the platform most of these games are developed on, always seems to be treated as the poor cousin to console gaming and we as gamers feel like second-class citizens and pariahs all the time.

And if any of them start off by mentioning piracy, you should beat them about the head and neck with a cracked console.

And if any

37. G10Ki says:

Thats ok. I’ll cancel my preorder and spend the money to mod my 360 and buy some DVDs. Thanks Activision.

38. Crush says:

The delay is almost always down to trying to stop 0 day PC piracy, pirates are popularity whores and MW2 is whats wanted most. Some wont be able to wait simply because everyone else is playing MW2 and go buy console version instead of pirating it – plus if pirates have bought it then theres a chance of selling DLC to them too.

39. sana says:

Sigh.

40. Miles of the Machination says:

I guess 0 day piracy is a huge issue, but is releasing it a little while after the console version going to stem piracy at all since the PC crowd is still going to consider its release to be just as important as if it was released with the console version?. This will do nothing but rile up fans and increase piracy due to the tension surrounding this event and the further neglect we have been shown due to such things as special edition exclusivity. Lets hope this delay is purely to do with technical polish and not some ridiculous paranoia surrounding piracy. And if MW2 on the PC is a wobbly port of a console version, I’m adding a fortress made of pure contempt to my angry tank.

41. DK says:

I’m pretty sure this piece of news is actually not true – Activision have confirmed that it was a misunderstanding and the PC release is not pushed back.

42. neems says:

I imagine the delay is caused by piracy concerns, but anybody who wants to play online – which is a lot of people, especially on the pc side of things – is going to need a genuine copy. I know many people who have (genuine) pc copies of Cod4 and who (a) have never played the single player game; and (b) in most other circumstances will literally laugh in your face if they learn that you actually paid for a game.

43. GRIMDARK says:

Does waiting 2 weeks knock that extra 10 dollars off the price that they decided to take on? No?

Fuck em then.

44. dodo says:

Dragon Age was already delayed. It was supposed to be released back in April for PC, remember?

45. dodo says:

What’s wrong with the respond system? It never works! :\

46. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

> PICK UP CABBAGE

There is no cabbage here.

> SHOOT ACTIBLIZZARD

The angrytank shoots (in a purely metaphorical way) the obscene half-Activision half-Blizzard mutant, and feels so much better.

> GO NORTH

The angrytank has driven off a cliff. Game Over. You earned 3 points out of a possible 111,009.

47. Ado says:

Not sure that’s the right way to go about it, but I feel your frustration.

I think it’s probably more to do with people who own a console and a PC (which seems many these days). The impatient majority will pay the extra £15-20 for the console version. Then be locked into paying for the online play (i.e. through having an X-Box Live Gold account) and the DLC for the life of the game. As opposed to the £30 you pay for the PC version and possibly a little more for an expansion pack.

We lose but Actiblizion, MS and Infinity Ward win… more so…

48. Cal says:

It is probably right they care more for the console releases since it will make them so much money. But as you say, unless they give us a shitty port (doubt it), it will probably end up being a better version than both of the console versions. Like most PC games are. They only ever seem to delay PC games case in point would be Star Craft 2, the delays may make the games so much better and that is what the time is put into, not trying to stop piracy to hurt their multi-billion dollar companies.
    If delayed they should: a) Give us free DLC, not like the consoles that have to pay for it. Or if they are already giving the DLC for free b) they should release a PC demo so we have something to play in the 2 weeks.
    I doubt either will happen and it will just be delayed. But there is hope, so maybe put the angrytank into idle mode for the time being.

49. dsmart says:

@ Persus-9

Bollocks. They have dedicated teams working on each version of the game. Cert for the console versions has nothing to do with the PC version – which my source tells me was finished since Aug.

Just wait until the masses find out that it is a GFWL game, thats when the fur is really going to fly.

@ drcancerman

…and you are the problem with the current “review” system.

50. Junior says:

Sod ‘em.

Who cares about this fancy future war nonsense?

The franchise was great during WWII, but people popping up at windows and streaming forwards endlessly makes less and less sense during modern times.

I’m going back to Stalingrad.

• bookwormat says:

Hi Junior,

“Who cares about this fancy future war nonsense?”

Many, many people. I mean lots of them. Call of Duty 4 sold very well. I would say that if you want to make people care about a game, going for “fancy future war nonesense” is the way to go.

I hope this answers your question!

– Ben