Direct2Drive Turns Five, Runs Compo

By Kieron Gillen on October 6th, 2009 at 7:24 pm.

Direct to drive retailer Direct2Drive are turning five. Which is splendid, because it rhymes. But it’s also splendid because they’re doing cheap games for the five weeks around here. But it’s also splendid, because they want to run a compo with us (i.e. Rock Paper Shotgun) to give away all the games in the offers to a lucky read. Do you want to be that reader? Well, just drop us a mail before Sunday night saying what you think is the definitive RPS game – the most RPSiest game of all time – and why that’s so. The most convincing explanation will be our winner. The usual terms and conditions apply. Go!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jugglenaut says:

I think it’s pretty awesome how D2D is not only running the contest on their site, but reaching out to other sites to run the contest. They’re also running a compo at cheapassgamer.com

2. Dan Lawrence says:

The game is Civilization.

Its the quintessential PC game and this is the most civilized blog about PC games there is!

3. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

RA3 for a fiver is a sweet deal..

4. Naiive Melody says:

Gah, the US version of this deal (http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5) has “war games.” I was so ready to drop $10 on some EA stuff.

• Vinraith says:

I, on the other hand, kind of pity the UK folks. I picked up CoH Gold and WiC Gold, both at absurd discounts. I’m still going back and forth about getting the SC gold pack (already have Forged Alliance, unsure if I really need the original game). I wish there was some turn based (“real”) strategy games on the list as well, but it’s still the best week this sale has had.

• Vinraith says:

Correction, HOI2 Complete very much IS a real strategy game, but I already own it. :)

5. James G says:

Oh dear. I may be over-thinking this one. I’m pretty sure I’m going to write myself into a hole with the reasoning, and end up having to make a game which matches the qualities I have identified in RPS.

6. Rob says:

Does this mean that you’re going to announce the winners of the Ashes competition soon?

7. NeonBlackJack says:

Should US readers enter? Since the games seem to be UK copies?

8. Buemba says:

Are non US/Canada/UK residents eligible? Most of the games in the sale aren’t available for purchase in my region so it would be pretty awesome if I got them all in the competition…

9. Arathain says:

Clearly the game must involve rocks, shotguns, and some form of paper. Hmmm…

10. Arathain says:

Also, World In Conflict for $5? That’s kind of mental.

11. Persus-9 says:

Worth noting that this week a few of the US offers are available in the UK but not listed on the UK side of the site. Hearts of Iron 2 and the Delta Force games are both available in the UK for $5. Oddly Dawn of War isn’t available for $5 like it is in the US but is available for £5 but isn’t listed on the offer page.

12. kwanchu says:

I am downloading supreme commander gold for a sweet $5 American, which comes out to about $50 canadian, doh!!!!

13. sinister agent says:

I am never going to have time to buy the embarassing number of games I’ve bought from the sale there over the last month. I’m still agonising over another two I’ll never have time to properly play. Silly, really. And I’m still tempted to pick an RPS game (it’s clearly Rise of the Robots).

14. Phinor says:

Is there gifting system of some kind in D2D? There are about five titles I want to buy from their $5/5£ catalog but as the story usually goes, none of them are available in EU, only UK and/or US.

15. Muttley says:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena for US$5 on the US site and it’s “country restricted” to me. Why do they do this nonsense?

• Lykurgos says:

Muttley, if by “they” you mean “Direct2Drive”, then they probably only have a license to distribute Riddick in the Americas.

There are frequently different distributors for different regions.

16. Pod says:

ARGH.
    I just bought £20 of games. Up until the last screen it said £20. Makes sense, considering it’s only £20 worth of games. Except after I clicked the final-final-final “pay” button, it had jumped up to £25 and they’d “sold” me a second copy of Titan Quest. Woot. Also: It took me 15 minutes just to email them. They have some stupid system that I’ve had lots of trouble with in the past. What’s wrong with just giving me a sodding email address to email?

Comment on this story