Demolition Sim Demo Demolished

A typical Sunday morning in the Stone household: get up, shake fist at sky, consume breakfast of tea, toast and marmalade, go out and destroy a church. Thanks to the
Spreng- Und Abriss- Sim demo, I can now undertake that last activity without leaving the house!

Astragon, German purveyors of all things simmy and mundane, have followed thrill-shunning oddities like Dustcart Simulator 2008 and Forklift Simulator 2009 with a demolition sim featuring explosives and five types of masonry-mutilating plant. The bash-a-church trial only lets you fiddle with a couple of bulldozers and a JCB fitted with a pneumatic brick pummeller. To get your mitts on the dynamite and the wrecking ball dangler, you must pay.

Which I can’t see myself doing, unless there’s a MegaRealism patch in the offing. Like Digger Simulator,  Spreng- Und Abriss- Simulator appears to be an appealing idea undermined by flaky physics and crudely-modelled machines. I don’t know much about engineering or architecture but I do know that a churchtower missing several entire courses of bricks at its base is more likely to topple than hover. Fred Dibnah would be spinning in his grave.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. TooNu says:

All I will say is that some people no longer need feel ashamed of playing with their Tonka toys into their 40’s. Thank heaven for games like this, helping people 1 step at a time.

2. Jonas says:

I must admit most of the German sims you post about leave me wondering what sort of person finds entertainment in the activity they simulate, but I can definitely see the appeal of this one. Construct your own building… then bulldoze it! Pretty good idea. Too bad about the physics system.

3. Garg says:

The sound effects in that trailer were awful.

4. mrrobsa says:

Aw man! I don’t wanna have to clean up the rubble once I’m done demolishing! Can’t we leave that for the Construction Site Clean-up Kru Simulator 2009 fans?

5. Ed says:

… also known as Red Faction Guerilla, with the aplomb, or the challenge-your-mates-to-blow-the-crap-out-of-stuff mode.

Seriously though, these guys should watch that TV show The Detonators.

• edwardoka says:

Curse the lack of a logged-out edit mode. It should clearly say without the aplomb, natch.

6. Tei says:

It looks like “Clean You Room Simulator” and “Michael Bay: Demolition Expert :The Movie: The Game” have a childrens. It looks half totally boring, half totally awesome.

7. squidlarkin says:

Psh. It’s no Blast Corps.

8. Suman1083 says:

I am not going to lie, I love these strange simulation games and the YouTube post at the bottom just got me more pumped!

9. Smi says:

Cor, that was a fascinating insight into the demolition industry. Somewhat questionable physics, when I had removed all but a thin slither of tower, yet it remained standing. Not exactly what I’d call fun.

It’s confusing why GAME stocks Crane Simulator, though – is there a market for that in this country?

• TeeJay says:

A market for rubbish high street chains? There must be: Dixons, Currys, PC World, GAME, etc

• James G says:

I had a conversation with a few of the guys in GAME once, trying to find out how their stock is decided. Predictably it is on a list that comes down for head office, the staff are as bemused as I am at some of the choices. Its not just a matter of ignoring quality, or even of favouring titles which are likely to attract otherwise clueless shoppers, instead though they miss out fairly decent triple-A titles, in favour of dodgy games with what was always going to be niche appeal. It doesn’t seem to make much sense to be, even from a strict business perspective.

10. Hi!! says:

For next week: link to

11. Paul says:

I can’t get my 5 year old off the PC now. He is being surprisingly tidy, bulldozing all the rubble neatly to the edge.

12. pepper says:

It’s amazing how clunky it is, they should have used the amazings kran-simulator 2009 engine! Which is a shame, since i love demolishing stuff.

13. Idle Threats and Bad Poetry says:

In the tutorial of the demo, it lets you try out dynamite. First, it goes to a puny wall. But the observant will notice the huge brick tower next to it! I had fun trying to get the tower to collapse on its side as the arrow on the ground indicates.

14. Hodge says:

Extra credit for the charmingly inappropriate ’80s educational science video’ music.