Dragon Age Character Creator, Snazzy Trailer

By John Walker on October 13th, 2009 at 7:40 pm.

He's the sort of rugged hero you can trust. To bore you about values and honour. Create someone more fun, please.

You can now download the Dragon Age character creator, letting you find out the range of races and looks available for your potential avatar. You can get it in English directly from clicking here, or if you’re after another language head to the official Dragon Age site, in the column on the right. There’s also a new and rather excellent CGI trailer, which you can see below.

You can also get the character creator from FilePlanet, but unless you’ve paid for an account you’ll be sat in a queue. The download rate from BioWare’s own site is pretty fantastic as it happens.

Once you get into the character creator (which is no mean feat – there’s an unskippable trailer you’ve seen before – if you know how to delete biks it’s worthwhile) you can, as you might imagine, create your character. But more significantly it reveals all the details regarding the available races, classes and origins. So you’ve got Humans, Elves and Dwarves. Noble or magic Humans, City, Dalish or magic Elves, and Noble or Commoner Dwarf. Then there’s Warriors, Rogues, and Mages. That creates a total of six origin stories (Human Mage and Elf Mage have the same origin). You can, in fact, find out more details about the origins in last month’s PC Gamer (ish 205), wot I wrote.

Not only that but you can see the full Skill and Talent trees available to each class, along with explanations of their importance. Once you’ve created your ideal character you can upload it to your EA account, for um, some reason? Either way, it’s a fun little taste of the game to come, due November 3rd. Here’s my creation:

If only she could come to life and marry me!

Perhaps the key thing to note about the trailer is that it doesn’t have any silly metal stings at the end. In fact, it presents itself as an advert for a game aimed at gamers, which is quite a relief. Clearly it’s all CGI, but it sure is fun!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Redmond Wravburn says:

Oooh, this is marvelous. When I get a new rpg like this, I’m usually torn between creating characters and jumping in the game as soon as possible. This will fix it.. I think.

PS: Great trailer, I’m too hyped up for this now :-(

2. Jacques says:

Damn this slow internet connection to hell. It’s slow enough normally, but me uploading images to my blog and sending stuff via FTP means it’s pretty much running at dial-up speeds. Do want to see this.

3. neems says:

Looks like somebody’s been watching the LOTR movies.

4. Jacques says:

Ok, that trailer was pretty fucking awesome.

• Kadayi says:

Really? I think it looks like the worst dialled in generic fantasy I’ve seen in quite some time.

• Jacques says:

How would you go about making a non “generic fantasy” trailer then? bearing in mind your game contains dragons, orc lookalikes and typical RPG class heroes.

• Kadayi says:

“bearing in mind your game contains dragons, orc lookalikes and typical RPG class heroes”

For a start by not assuming any of those elements are entirely necessary in order to make a ‘fantasy’ game.

• Bhazor says:

Well personally I would have used anything but orks (steam robots, golems, clowns, Shaft etc) and at the end I would have had the heroes walking through the field of corpses then the main guy turns around and says “Right, its scavenging time. You” (points to any character) “Your on smilers duty” (hands an irrated looking character a small pin hammer, camera switches to silouhette as designated smiler kneels over dead monster and proceeds to prise his gold teeth out whilst the rouge violently tugs the trousers off a monster), Suddenly we see characters are hateful and that they don’t see any value in the lives of their enemies.

Ta daa! Writing is easy!

Really that could have been directed by anyone, its only the render quality that stops me from saying it could be from Eye of the Beholder. But over choreographed fights have always been my a pet peeve.

• Jacques says:

Bhazor, except “dark fantasy” has been done before, so it’s still pretty generic.

• Tei says:

Humm… the character creator don’t like to ALT-TAB…. It seems is one of these games that want total control of the computer.

• ChaosSmurf says:

Dragon Age is about the least generic fantasy I’ve ever seen. It’s a whole lot more violent, dark, killy, metaly, loud music, drugsy and sexy than other stuff.

• Jacques says:

Sure, dark fantasy’s not really been done much on the PC, but as any serious fantasy nerd that reads books will tell you, it’s been done before.

I’m still waiting to see a character as nasty as Cnaiur urs Skiotha in a pc game.

• Bhazor says:

It has Orcs, elves, dwarves, dragons, clevage armour and scantly clad red headed rouges.
      It’s setting may as well be medieval europe, its a fight on a mountain pass, the tit mage uses a lightning bolt and the rouge does needless acrobatics.

Still it’s good to hear ChaosSmurf played through the whole game to say that it’s setting is unlike any other. Personally I’ll wait until it’s released for some reliable reviews.

Besides don’t forget that the original Lord of the Rings books featured massacres, addiction (to the ring), slavery and hinted at genocide. The original D&D also included racial bonuses for x fighting y reflecting at the racism rivallry between the two according to the lore. So hey, all that isn’t exactly new.

• Jacques says:

Lord of the Rings is a kid’s book though, in terms of the prose, story, characterisations, etc. Read Bakker’s PoN story if you want something done in a slightly more adult manner.

And by adult I don’t just mean gratuitous violence and sex.

• Stick says:

I think superficial “generic” might be seen as a necessary evil of actually-managing-to-sell-a-damn-fantasy-game. It has to be recognizable. Now, I’ll be the first to wish it wasn’t so. But try to imagine making a (say) China Mieville-based game. And then explaining it in public. (“Err, yeah, we’re including the bug-headed humanoid as a romance option. Sure, the multi-dimensional dream-eater might be overpowered, but we’re balancing that in the next patch. And sorry about your ears getting lopped off. The stream-of-consciousness spider is a fickle beast.”)

(And I just happen to enjoy “playing with – and subverting – the conventions” over “look, we’re trying so hard to be innovative we make absolutely no sense!” But that’s a whole topic by itself.)

• Funky Badger says:

Stick is right, everyone else is wrong.

• Bhazor says:

I’m not suggesting theres never been dark fantasy. My point is that even a five penny twammer like myself could think of improvements or certainly less cliched action for a big budget CGI trailer.

• Jacques says:

Your idea of an improvement isn’t necessarily mine, you have to remember that. Sticking to “cliched” stuff is the safest option.

• Bhazor says:

Reply to Stick

Yet thats what pretty much every JRPG does.
      They’ve had rpgs set in ancient Japan, medieval Europe, during the french revolution, modern day Tokyo with living graffittin, in a second world war surrogate, inside a haunted, in Hell and inside the mind of Bach. They still seem to sell enough units.

Bare in mind this is EA. A company who can throw any amount of advertising behind a high concept game and putting Bioware in a position many indies (and say Troika) would stab a baby for.

• Kadayi says:

@Stick

“It has to be recognizable.”

I’d say Morrowind & The Witcher disagree with you there. They both have staples of fantasy running throughout them, but neither is particularly generic but instead takes those staples and makes them their own. What is the Blight in Dragon Age but the Hordes of Sauron repackaged? Why exactly are the Hordes attacking? Is it because they suffer from a deep disgust when it comes to self preservation, or is it because they are just plain Evil? Because Evil is entirely a state of being into and of itself, rather than a perceptual assessment.

“On the other hand, I think people are entirely too quick branding something “generic” or “cliché”. It’s all just… stuff, after all. Themes and motifs and lego bricks. Everything has been done, and everything is still in the execution.”

You ever heard the phrase ‘the medium is the message?’ If the medium is bought off the shelf identi-kit generic fantasy tropes do you really think the message is going to be radically different? Eternal Evil in need of vanquishing + destiny/fate a calling. It's the feel good hit of the Summer, let’s party like its 1999, Woohoo!!!
      EA/Bioware have been peddling tragic trailer after tragic trailer of DA since it was first announced, and this is just another one to add to the pile. Certainly I’m expecting a few people are going to loose their lids over it. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if RPS stalwart John Walker is gushing over it in an unseemly manner (but that’s because he’s a great big developer forgiving softie at times). However personally I’m thinking all they’d need to do is make the eyes bigger, the ears pointier and the names dafter and it looks like it could be picked up in a game store in Korea from the bargain bucket.

Yes You’re right, I’m deliciously evil

• Dante says:

The less Dragon Age is like The Witcher, the better as far as I’m concerned.

There’s several approaches when you’re faced with an entrenched trope or genre like ‘generic fantasy’. One is the one you’re suggesting, which is to avoid anything that could be considered remotely cliche, however this severely narrows your options, because just about anything can be considered cliche by someone. Another, which is the one Bioware are trying, is to use those elements, but to try and put your own spin on them, that’s why we have Elves that aren’t snooty and high minded, but an exploited underclass, and Dwarves that are defined by a strict cast system and ruled by a decadent elite.

And incidentally the Eastern idea of ‘generic fantasy’ is quite different from our own, big eyes or no, so your comparison is not really valid, especially when you take into account that you’re talking about a developer known for it’s storytelling, who actually made their name with D&D games, the most generic fantasy there is.

It’s not like Bioware aren’t doing other things, they’re just going back to their roots as well.

• Kadayi says:

@Dante

It’s not about avoiding, its about reinventing.

• Stick says:

@Kadayi:

“(Morrowind and the Witcher) both have staples of fantasy running throughout them, but neither is particularly generic but instead takes those staples and makes them their own.”

If there’s a difference in quality between the Witcher’s and DA’s handling of the staples… I can’t see it yet. And I’ve done more of the homework than just watching trailers. (Elves, dwarves, politics, racism, no objective alignment scale, magic-but-no-divine-intervention, people actually having sex…) As for big clichéd Saving The World… no, Geralt doesn’t start out doing that. (I have no idea what was going on in Morrowind, but apart from cat-people and flying jellyfish, I don’t remember much “out of the ordinary”.)

Now, I’d love to see games set in fantasy universes allowing for more kinds of stories than “squash big global threat”. (I ran a Planescape-ish campaign in NWN where the PCs were journalists…)

But ultimately, I don’t care as much about the “what” as about the “how”.

So, yeah, I’ve heard “the medium is the message”. I also know “sweeping kneejerk reductionism with a side order of jumping to conclusions” “god is in the detail”.

• MajorManiac says:

I think the trailer looks ace, and was that Claudia Black’s voice acting I heard?

Personally I don’t care if its generic or revolutionary fantasy. As long as its good quality fantasy. The lord of the rings movies were as generic and cliqued as they come (dispite the books practicly inventing the modern fantasy genre), but they were excellently done.

• Trithemius says:

“Dark fantasy” what like with anti-hero sorcerer drug-addicts and howling black runeswords and alignments and stuff?

Michael Moorcock’s ‘The Eternal Champion’ stories are pretty much part of the fantasy mulch these days. Nothing especially ground-breaking there (although I admit I still love them). Hell, even BLIZZARD have ripped off Elric and his Big Black Soul Wang.

And, for the record, I would play the hell out of a New Weird Fantasy RPG. Arcanum Steamworks and Magic was a good way there I thought – just needs to be a bit weirder…

(They could leave out calling everyone other bastard “pugnacious” though…)

• Stick says:

@Trithemius

“For the record, I would play the hell out of a New Weird Fantasy RPG.”

Indeedy! (Unless I’m stuck playing the “adventurer party” from Perdido Street Station that gets horribly and hilariously character-assassinated and really made-dead too.)

@MajorManiac:

Re: generic / revolutionary / good – that was my point, I think. But more efficiently stated.

And yeah, it’s Claudia Black! \o/

• Kadayi says:

@Stick

All I’m getting from that is ‘I know better’ which is an amusing assumption.

As for ‘God is in the details’ (not detail) it’s not about the how, its about things being finely crafted throughout from inception through to construction (Being an architectural quote and all).

• Dante says:

@ Kadiyi
      Not everything needs to be re-invented from the ground up, sometimes it’s just as fun and interesting to play about with what you’ve got in new ways.
      Take the Discworld for example, truckloads of ‘generic fantasy’ hallmarks, but far more subversive, satirical and clever than anything that goes out of it’s way to ‘re-invent’ the genre.

• Kadayi says:

@Dante
      You’re aware that the Discworld novels were originally just about sending up ‘fantasy’ conventions like D&D as well as the works of the more well known fantasy authors, and that it was only due to financial success that the Stories moved beyond that (to humourously plagiarizing the rest of literature) . To cite it as an example of not reinventing the wheel seems to be reaching a bit tbh.

Yes You’re right, I’m deliciously evil

• Stick says:

@ Kadayi:

“All I’m getting from that is ‘I know better’…”

Nah, I just find it terribly frustrating – not to mention confusing – when people make what seems like sweeping generalizations based on no more information than I have access to. I think there’s a difference. However slight.

Anyways, calling it quits. Interesting topic. We might agree a whole lot more if the context didn’t make me BioWare’s Advocate. (Damn context.) I mean, these big conversations are started by specific examples. And then made tricky by the same examples and the differing views on them.

So, “taking it to the forum”. If I ever get around to it again.

5. wiper says:

*Shakes fist at network for blocking EA and fileplanet addresses*

I want to make my own monstrosity of nature :(

6. Stick says:

Woooo. The angle of “PC as Leader, not just Hero with Redundant Tag-alongs” was pretty neat. Made it somewhat Meet-The-Team-ish, which… all promo trailers need more of. (Also, Sniper mumbling religious scripture before performing the Sacrament of the Headshot? That made me grin.)

7. Heliocentric says:

People, i want to see maximum face. Don’t disappoint me.

8. Tei says:

It looks good :-)

We are all heroes: You and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere! Rejoice!

9. Vinraith says:

This game has always sounded promising, it’s nice to see it finally looking promising as well.

10. Po0py says:

Dragon Age: Origins. Now featuring Hulk Hogan’s long lost cousin.

11. autogunner says:

tonight matthew im going to be a gigantic maneating spider…

12. Lambchops says:

Unlike the last few trailers this actually makes me tempted to give this a shot. I reckon it’ll be a bargain bin purchase for me though.

13. Dave says:

The character creator looks better than the game so far. Nice lighting etc. and FACIAL EXPRESSIONS.

That said, I think they should just release a game where you play as a hot goth chick who acrobatically turns into a giant rampaging, maneating spider. Stuff the rest of it.

14. Oliver says:

Although the marketing up till now has been wildly uneven (in large part due to EA’s meddling, likely) this makes me interested. Of course, I just bought Risen, so unless I finish that first….

A side note – although Bioware’s other games have always gotten exemplary ratings, I’ve never been that enamored with their not-quite-real-time combat system. Anyone else feel this way? I’d rather it be about what I actually DO, not what I do PLUS a whole bunch of little dice-rolls going on in the background. Except for BG – that rocked. But it was *meant* to be turn-based, not pseudo-real-time/turn based.

Am I in the minority (he says, clearly aware he is in the minority)?

• itchyeyes says:

I don’t think that Mass Effect had much in the way of dice rolls going on in the background (if there were they were well hidden). Also, as far as I’m aware, Dragon Age and Mass Effect are the only 2 Bioware games so far that aren’t built upon a D&D rule set, so I’m hopeful that Dragon Age’s combat will feel more fluid than other Bioware game.

• James G says:

I’ve heard others say the same.

Ahem. Sorry, I was briefly possessed by a character of a completely different, non-Bioware, RPG.

I certainly don’t think you are alone in your assumption, although I’m not sure that your description applies to Jade Empire, or Mass Effect. However, either way, I am not one of the people who agrees with you. (Sadly this means you are wrong in your opinions, but we can’t be right all the time. Unless you are me of course.) I loved the pause-and-play system of the Infinity Engine, NWN and KotoR. The main reason being my hand eye co-ordination is a bit crap, and I much prefer to have the outcome of my battles determined by tactics, than by the hope I managed to hit an appropriate rhythm or whatever. (As a result, I’m not a huge fan of most FPSs, and have to crank the difficulty right down.) The return of pause-and-play is one of the main points in favour of Dragon Age in my opinion.

Of course, as itchyeyes, a pause-and-play system doesn’t necessitate everything to be quite so obviously turn based and it is possible that Bioware will come up with a solution that also benefits those who like things a bit more dynamic. With a decent enough action queue, it could be possible to allow people to get by with only pausing on those occasions when they have to enact sudden contingency plans.

• Stick says:

IIRC, it’s been dev-stated that there are no “rounds” in DA combat. (And no “initiative rolls”.) So, it’s real-time pause-and-play, with something like “action speed values” determining how often you get to swing / shoot / roast stuff. Seems appropriate for a party-based tactical combat game.

(I’m certainly capable of enjoying different systems, but I suspect third-person click-for-each-swing would get weird and tiresome here. And first-person-swashbuckling has – to my knowledge – only ever been done properly in Dark Messiah. Which didn’t include four party members.)

• Oliver says:

Right! I forgot about ME. K, I liked that one too; mostly because I didn’t feel it was fully twitch-based. Like yourself, I’m no longer of the age where I’m any good at that type of game either.

I guess KOTOR/NWN held limited appeal to me because of the fact that it was just so… stilted. I never really felt like I got into much of a flow, nor did I really feel like I was that much in control, somehow. Maybe I just have grown out of party-based RPGs? That’s likely my issue.

Carry on.

• DK says:

“Also, as far as I’m aware, Dragon Age and Mass Effect are the only 2 Bioware games so far that aren’t built upon a D&D rule set, so I’m hopeful that Dragon Age’s combat will feel more fluid than other Bioware game.”
      Why does everyone forget Shattered Steel. That was a far better “mature” setting than what they’re trying (and failing miserably at) with Dragon Age.

15. Arnulf says:

That spider thing really got me. That was surprising.

I like that.

Also note how the ogre was crushed carelessly (aren’t they on the same side?) by the dragon. How that dragon could be so easily defeated by four puny humans is a mystery to me, however.

Is that game world based on AD&D by the way? Only curious, not that it matters in any way.

• Stupoider says:

I may be right in thinking that it was a cinematic trailer, and doesn’t necessarily reflect things in the game.

• SheffieldSteel says:

Agreed on all counts. The spider was a nice move (but remind me not to pursue romance with Morrigan… changing into a spider is a dealbreaker for me… TMI?)

Leliana = <3 <3 <3

The broo^K^K^K^Kogre was a nice touch, as a creature that had already been featured as a "boss".

I was surprised to see the dragon die. I thought it would give up and fly away.

• Stick says:

@ Arnulf:

• DK says:

“Nah, it’s BioWare’s own setting. Which – at least in tone – resembles the Witcher’s world more than the Forgotten Realms.”

That was true when they started doing Dragon Age (back when it was still “You can’t make BG style RPGs on consoles, Dragon Age is going to be PC only!”) – by now, with the advent of 4th Edition, the Forgotten Realms have done dark and mature far better. For one it’s less juvenile – plus it has Cthulhu.

16. Azradesh says:

No, which is why the dragon is just a mindless beast.

17. KilgoreTrout XL says:

I’m a big fan of chicks who do double flips and turn into spiders in mid-air and then kill a bunch of dudes when they land so I really enjoyed the shit out of that.

18. Psychopomp says:

I actually liked that music. Reminds me of Stuart Chatwood’s great Sands of Time score.

19. wiper says:

Note to future posters: it is impossible to take seriously the comment of anyone talking seriously about 'rouges', unless they're talking about different shades of red. And are French.

20. drewski says:

Yikes, 350mb for a character creator? Although I suppose bundling with a full screen trailer is probably kicking up the size.

I’ll report back in an hour and 28 minutes. Maybe.

21. Heliocentric says:

Just got an email about pre-ordering, there is a special edition with extra content content removed from the normal game, this even effects mass effect 2, so in short, pay stupid price for dragon age or lose out on your mass effect 2 game.

excellent.

• Shalrath says:

Have you seen that armour? If anything it has no place in Mass Effect. To think that it was removed is… interesting.

22. Spoon says:

Mr. Walker, you sure know how to make you a purty lady-type.

23. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Character creation tool for download? Now that is how you reel me in.

24. Real Horrorshow says:

I created Abraham Lincoln. Too bad there are no top hats in the game.

25. Seraohim2150 says:

Its maximum face time again ladies and gentlemen

26. We Fly Spitfires says:

Awesome! Downloading it now :)

27. Moorkh says:

I dunno

I haven’t seen anyone bring that up, so it might just be me, but ever since I saw that first mockup screenshot for the game, what, 5 years ago, I consitently felt the game’s look was somehow off one every in-engine shot or movie.
    I don’t think it’s because it’s supposed to be gritty or dark, I’ve seen both of those in other places, and it felt better. It’s not about it’s technical limitations, either – it does not look bad in this regard, and I wouldn’t mind if it did. It just feels WRONG, somehow.
    Don’t get me wrong, I regularly find myself drawn to DA by some dev comment or even by its very cool artwork. Yet, whenever I see a screenshot, I go:”Meh. This one don’t do it for me.”
    Anyone else feel the same?

• Moorkh says:

Editor seems to confirm my feelings about this: I can choose to have either an uncannily ugly bloke or a equally uncannily homely lass with huge and malformed teats. :(

28. RLacey says:

Does uploading a character to your EA account allow you to download it into the game upon launch, I wonder?

29. Rohit says:

The .bik file is a little over 100MB.

• Kadayi says:

Its an unskippable trailer

You’ve consumed their bandwidth, now you must sit through their ass numbing advert ;)

Lack of skimpy clothing to select for females magicians as well as no bazoomas size slider (from large to unfeasible, naturally) = makes this an EPIC FAIL as my more interweb savvy chums and chumettes would say. If they’d included that I could at least believe they had a sense of humour about what is going on….

30. Butler` says:

I swear part of that trailer’s music is straight out of cod4 or something.

And damn I’m starting to hate games that come out on all three platforms (same with Borderlands) as I never know which one to choose.

• H8Cr1me says:

Seeing as the PC version can be modded and the content distributed for free, the graphics will be sharper, and controls that give you more…um….control; the platform to choose is pretty obvious.

• Vinraith says:

It’s simple, really: Is it a third person action game, a racing game, or a platformer? You probably want it on console. Is it anything else? You want it on PC.

• Butler` says:

The way I look at it is a little more complex and, honestly, any excuse to get away from my PC (being an ex WoW player) is usually very welcome.

Admitably it’s more straight forward if the game is single player like Dragon Age, where I’ve only my self to worry about. When it’s 4 player co-op like Borderlands it’s another story entirely. And of course relatively speaking Borderlands might be a ‘great’ PC game, but it’s probably a fucking superb PS3 game (with so little else out there and so little to compare it to historically).

31. Hmm-Hmm. says:

@Kadayi: No, it’s skippable. At least, it was for me on the second time I opened the creator. It could be they force everyone to watch it once.

32. Hyudra says:

Anyone else find the trailer disappointing? That dragon was awfully easy to kill.

• Stick says:

Has any cinematic trailer anywhere accurately depicted the in-game shenanigans necessary for downing a really big fire-breathing lizard? Should they?

It’s a stand-alone promo. Not a game guide. Nor even a cutscene. :P

33. Orange Required says:

Put some clothes on, love, it’s freezing.

34. H8Cr1me says:

The reason to upload your character is to put it up on the awesome Social networking site Bioware has created for the game (and probably future games). The site is supposed to be like a cross between Facebook and SourceForge. Not is this a networking site for bioware games, but it will bring together the mod community and their content. The whole thing is extremely well put together. I think it is a profound new way to bring everything about the game into a collective.

Also, uploading your first character will grant you an in-game item!

35. Deuteronomy says:

After several tens of hours dabbling in Oblivion and coming to that worst of realizations while playing a game (, that I’M WASTING PRECIOUS MOMENTS OF LIFE!) I’m extremely loath to touch any sort of fantasy RPG. On the other hand I loved the tightly structured pseudo open world storyline of the Witcher, and for that matter of Mass Effect, hell even Planescape. If Dragon age follows this direction, there’s no question I’m getting it. I’ll probably be getting my hands on an HD5850 by that time too. Hmm . . . a Canadian game played on a Canadian graphics card, supporting the homeland I will won’t I.

• Dante says:

The latter path is the one Bioware have traditionally taken, Oblivion is different in that respect, more a a ‘fantasy sandbox’ than a traditional RPG.
      I too loved it at first before realising how empty and mechanical it all was, it’s almost like an offline MMO.

36. IvanHoeHo says:

Please excuse me for all I noticed in the trailer was the massive cleavages of both the women In the dead of winter.

Moving on…

37. Taillefer says:

They have weird mouth movements.
    Yep. That’s all I have to say about that.

38. cw8 says:

Your character is pretty, thanks for the laugh lol

39. 1stGear says:

Eh. I’m going to wait for RPS, Tom Francis, or Chris Livingston to sound off on this game before even considering it for purchase. The other trailers and general marketing aim have just left too sour of a taste in my mouth.

40. Tim says:

Bioware are certainly aspiring towards medieval authenticity, especially when it comes to dentistry… My characters all have atrocious teeth :D

41. Ravenholme says:

Oh, a little update, the uploading to the EA account on the new Bioware social networking site means that the character will recieve ingame a “Lucky Stone” and some form of undisclosed ingame ring.

Just so you know.

42. Wookie_Wookstar (Big D) says:

2.4MB/Sec here :) Nice!

43. Ian says:

Is it wrong that I don’t care the trailer was generic* and unrepresentative of gameplay? I just enjoyed it for what it was.

* The dragon wasn’t entirely cookie-cutter. If only because dragons normally suck a bit less ass than that.

44. Gap Gen says:

OF: Dragon Rising should absolutely be like this, but with tanks and guns.

45. Batteries  says:

I think it’s a good idea for game designers to do because it raises interest and if the character creator thing they do is decent enough then it may put people who are on the fence into a position where they would buy the game.

46. MindFukr69 says:

Wow… that was mighty disappointing. I hope the full game contains better character creation.

47. Kester says:

Am I the only one who hates this trend for increasingly more detailed character creators? None of them yet produce people who don’t look developmentally retarded, and I have to piss about with 4023 different options to try to fix that. At least Mass Effect had a couple of decent presets (which were decent because they weren’t produced using the character creator), but even the presets here look pretty terrible.

Most of the options are laughably over-detailed anyway: does anyone actually want to be able to specify the width of the bridge of their character’s nose? Seriously?

• Rive says:

Yeah, its the same for me. I usually stick with the presets. That said, im really looking forward to APBs Character Creation. Although youll probably always end up with something urban or edgy i cant wait for me and the lads to create a mob of fat, bald-headed russian thugs. And the Village People Cop for the Enforcement side.

• Dante says:

Yes, yes your are the only one.

Because hating something as clearly optional as character creation is quite frankly ridiculous.

• Kester says:

Thing is, I’m not sure it’s “clearly optional”. What I don’t like is that decent presets that have actually been designed and look like genuine human beings are getting replaced with preset character creator mutants. There’s only enough time for one, and creators are winning over presets.

I actually like the idea of a character creator, but I’ve not seen any that work particularly well so far. The majority of faces it’s possible to make with them look hideous, like John’s example up top. Combine that with the fact that there’s more things to alter than you can shake a stick at, all of which combine and interact with the others in not entirely predictable ways, and you have to spend forever trying to make your character not look awful. The initial post was brought to you by playing with the Dragon Age creator, getting halfway through, and realising that there were so many bloody things to change that it felt like filling in a tax return. Isn’t making characters supposed to be fun? Give me about 5-10 different face shapes, hairstyles, eyes and so forth, in a kind of Mr Potato Head style, and I’ll be happy. What I don’t want to do is spend time specifying the precise anatomical measurements of my character’s skull.

I appear to be quite irritable today.

• Geoff says:

I’m with you. There should be some customization available, but that doesn’t necessarily mean 15 kinds of facial structure. And there should be decent presets to either use, or start customizing.

We’re in a feature creep, where each time a game introduces a new feature, all subsequent games are expected to have it, or else the reviewers and commenters complain “Geez, even Oblivion gave me the ability to have a gigantic nose, how could a game be released in 2009 where I can only change 10 facial characteristics…”

But if we’re going to get into a big argument about DA vs Mass Effect vs Witcher vs D&D, what’s generic and whose plot development is best and what gameplay is unsatisfying, I promise you that ability to modify cheekbones is not on the top 5 list of important things about a game.

• SheffieldSteel says:

This is the problem with kids today. They’ve got their Rock Bands and their Miis and whatnot and they’re all “well isn’t this fun and convenient” and before you know it they’re scared of putting any real effort into a game.

/cranky old man

• Stick says:

I dunno. I mean, the lesson we learned from Oblivion is that 2 kabillion settings means 1.99999 kabillion really hideous faces are available. Since then, I go with a preset – or hit “randomize” until something vaguely human appears – and just make minor tweaks. I guess I’d appreciate more presets to start from. Or a really really clever algorithm that tweaks most randoms into the non-Frankenstein zone.

So… face-gen: not a critical feature by any means, but I suspect I’d miss it if it wasn’t there anymore.

48. Catastrophe says:

What class is the girl that transforms into a Spider? Thats pretty awesome.

Also any Over Excessive DRM on this?

49. James G says:

As far as I'm aware it is just a disc check.

• Stick says:

On a semi-related note… It looks like the game will be available from the get-go on EA’s download service. Oh, and on D2D, Impulse and Steam. (Quite possibly even more places I don’t know about.)

Happy day for me and my increasingly failing DVD reader. And other reasons, too. \o/

Comment on this story