The Risen Report #4: Victim

By Alec Meer on October 13th, 2009 at 8:49 pm.

Me, here, somewhere, friendless, alone.

Everything went wrong went I made it out of the first city.

Alert! There are a few spoilers in this, one of which may be major, but I honestly don’t know. But I’ll flag that one up in the post as it approaches.

Apology! I’m away in France at the moment, and all my screenshots are back home. So I’m going to illustrate the post with pictures of kittens instead.

Key to Risen is it is two opposing factions: the bandit fraternity of Don Esteban, and the religious fanatic/mage alliance of the Inquisition. Fairly early in the game, you decide which of these most appeals, and work towards it. It’s one of Risen’s cleverest systems, in fact – rather than simply following a fixed plotline that eventually unlocks chumminess with one or the other, instead you pick and choose your sidequests. Once you’ve done a given amount of them, and acted in favour of a specific faction, you reach the point where your favour is high enough that the core story progresses, one way or another.

It’s good stuff, because you’re carving your own path through the game whilst simultaneously advancing the plot. Compare it to, say, Fallout 3, where it’s only ever either/or. (The last thing I want is to inspire yet another bloody Elder Scrolls vs Gothic pissing contest, but F3′s simply a contemporary touchstone).

So, I picked my side – as detailed yesterday, through my actions rather than through what I’d pretended was my conscience. I did a bunch of stuff for the bandits, and I was off to see the Don, via a secret escape route from the city that meant I didn’t have to pay a tithe to corrupt guards.

Mine!

No hurry, I reasoned, as I wandered through some fields, smashed some gnomes in the chops and had an idle chat with some pacifist monk types. What’s up this hill? Oh, some sort of monastery. The monastery, in fact. Can’t hurt to take a look…

Fade to black.

I’m inside the monastery and labelled a recruit, due to invisible powers its doorman had apparently exercised to force me inside. I was pretty disgusted at the game for this – it’s supposed to be a game of choice, but the mere act of a guy seeing me caused it to break its own rules, deny me the chance to fight for my liberty and force me down a certain path. Perhaps some sort of mention of magic would have appeased me, but no – I was supposed to presume that somehow this one guy had overpowered me and dragged me inside. Couldn’t I have fought back?

I roamed the monastery for a while, occasionally pausing to rob things. Seemed I was stuck here. I found my to a parapet and gazed forlornly at the mountainside below. Then I remembered the ring. I’d reclaimed it from a shrieking harpy of a woman who’d somehow acquired it from the cartographer across the road. He wanted it back, but, puzzlingly, was so pleased that I’d retrieved it for him that he told me to keep it. Whatever.

Not mine!

Only now did I remember it had the property Acrobatics +1. Only now did I remember a loading screen message that told me Acrobatics was the only way to survive long falls. I gazed at the drop below me, assessed the nearest thing I could land on. There- a lump of gleaming crystal about halfway down. Steady, steady…

Crunch. But I’m still standing, just. Neck a health potion and then…

Crunch. Yes! Freedom!

Thump. Ow! Whassat?

Three gnome-murders later, I really did have freedom. Right, back to the city to sell all this monk crap I stole.

A few hours pass. Things are sold, beasts are slain, sub-quests are completed, skills are upgraded, big swords are bought. Everything’s fine. Time to go see the Don at last.

The Don won’t see me. Why? Because I’m a flippin’ monk.

Oh. God. So I’d thought escaping from the monastery was part of the game, something allowed – but it seems it was me finding a loophole. Nothing had changed about my appearance or statistics, but everyone in the Don’s camp knew I was and treated me as a member of the opposing faction. I’m insulted, I’m threatened, and if I try to enter the Don’s chamber, I’m met with a small army of angry, sword-wielding bandits.

Meanwhile, the head of the Inquisition faction in the city had earlier told me to bugger off for signing up to the bandits. So I’m not in with them either. What happens now?

Possible spoiler! Possible spoiler! Aieee! Safety resumes immediately after the next kitten picture.

On the plus side, a failed attempt to bypass the Don’s guards by turning into a snail and sneaking in had revealed the big man was sat in front of an enormous mountain of gold, fleeced and taken and bullied from the people of this island. This is not something a Good Person would do. So allying with him probably would have troubled me, ultimately.

Also not mine!

Still: I’ve broken the game. And, while I have been keeping several safety savegames, due to various overwriting I didn’t have one that was close to the time I was thrown into the monastery. I only had shortly afterwards and six hours previous. Bloody, bloody hell. If only the game was clearer that my status had immediately, irrevocably and invisibly changed, despite no visible and stats difference, then I’d have immediately known to have reloaded immediately. I wasn’t given any monkish garb or token, no quests were given or cancelled, and the guys in the city had treated me normally upon my return – so there really was no sign that I was pervading some unseen monkish aura all of sudden. I’m not certain if it’s a bug, poor explanation, rank stupidity on my part of a bit of all three. Whatever, I’m in quite the pickle.

CLIFFHANGER.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge James G says:

Only on RPS would you find a post illustrated with kittens in lieu of screenshots.

2. marvel says:

cute kittens

3. Earl_of_Josh says:

I say you murder everyone in the city for revenge! Er, in a “Good Person” sort of way.

4. Premium User Badge Grey Cap says:

Ouch. Time to. . . play something else?

5. Drumman1000 says:

Keep playing and try to be a monk now.
    After all like you said the Don is a bad guy.
    if you can’t be a monk then
    KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!

6. Premium User Badge Sagan says:

As I think most people would never revert 9 hours, and you said in the last comment thread that “this isn’t about [you] having the perfect Risen experience, but about showing what the Risen experience is,” I say that you try to continue in the current state. If you can’t get positive with the monks, try to explore everything until you get bored, then kill everyone until you get bored.

7. SheffieldSteel says:

Looks like your only options are to get sucked back into the monastery, talk your way in, or jump around the countryside until you get so good at Acrobatics that you can leap the walls. Yes, this is a dig at Oblivion. No, I’m not a hater.

8. Heliocentric says:

Excellent, enforced religion joining because you dared walk near a church.

Bloody Jehova’s witnesses.

9. Railick says:

Hang it all and play Red Guard

10. Matosh says:

KITTIES!

11. Hi!! says:

I’d reload the monastery save, and continue from there. Or see if they put you back in if you go up to the monastery again. Remember you have the “tell joke”-spell for when you need to talk to people who are angry with you.

12. AndrewC says:

I’m really sorry to hear this. Boo to game!

I hope the developers are smarter than us players and have prepared for this eventuality – I mean that short drop by the fighting square (is that where you jumped?) is way to tempting to be accidental. Surely?

It beats me, I accepted my fate (I got beat up by monks on a country road) and became a monk.

Good luck!

13. twb says:

This does bring up a totally off-topic point: what are the formalisms used by various games to represent plot management? There’s been a great deal of theory developed in the past few decades on representation and analysis of workflow management, yet game-breaking bugs that derail RPG plots are depressingly common.

14. Spoon says:

To be fair to the game, you get plenty of warnings all over the place not to go to certain areas, otherwise they WILL drag you away. I don’t remember exactly how many warnings I recieved, but I know you get at least 3 within the first half hour of the game that going towards the front gate or towards the monastery would get you conscripted pretty fast.

It IS lame that you can’t escape, however.

• Cvnk says:

Yeah. I heard that warning enough that I was afraid to approach anyone from the Inquisition for quite some time in the game. Even in Harbor Town I spent a lot of time sneaking around Warriors of the Order until I finally realized they weren’t interested in rounding me up.

15. Dogar says:

Damn, it really sucks that just talking to the guard sent you to the monastery. Glad I dodged that bullet by heading straight to the Don.

You instincts are right about the Don, imo. Personally I think you should go ahead and get in good with the monks. Maybe you’ll still have the option to express your inner klepto amidst all those self-rigteous do-gooders.

16. Heliosicle says:

Everything went wrong went I made it out of the first city.

On purpose?

I’m liking these anyway!

17. Tei says:

I have avoided this problem reloading wen you get captured. I don’t like to get captured, anyway. You wasted 6 hours in “prison”, so the prison is now inside you, you are a monk now. I know it suck.

On the other side, people more fortunate than you exist. Me. I did all the bandits quest (all the simple ones) so I was send to the monastery to talk with the big guy, and was let in.

This game is a bit linear, and I think your crossed the line in a bad way.

18. vader says:

I say stay a monk. Shaolin monks are cool. They kick people in the face. It’s true, I’ve seen that in the movies and movies never lie. Some European monks brew beer, and I that’s also cool… as well as tasty. Or maybe you could combine the two and become a beer brewing shaolin monk and do that drunken boxing thingamajig like in those old Jackie Chan movies.

Or you could just load that save… argh.. too many choices.

19. Cvnk says:

Quit spreading lies and slander about the esteemed Don Esteban. That pile of gold was pulled from the ruins, not the pockets of hard working residents.

• Tei says:

In defense of Don. That gold is just a tool to regain power in Harbor City, he is not interested in gold, only in power.

• AndrewC says:

I dunno – looking in at Don’s secret cave all you could see was a semi-naked dancing girl, whereas the monk’s inner sanctum gives you a distant look at some awesome magic fire or something. The Don doesn’t respect women! He is bad!

• Cvnk says:

And exactly how many women did you find working for the Inquisition? That’s right: none! I think Mendoza and the monks have even less respect for women. At least the Don lets them dance and cook for him.

20. Heliocentric says:

I just desperately want Don to be short for Donald.

21. Inanimotioon says:

The stories about your RPG adventures really are the best.
    Almost better than the game itself. Almost.

22. Premium User Badge Fede says:

Awesome kittens! :D
    Seriously: try to reenter the monastery, but if you cannot, for your sake, reload. Having played the old Gothics my guess is that the devs overlooked the fact you could escape. In Gothic 1 there was a bug which allowed you to go outside the barrier (well, you haven’t played it, but all the game is inside the barrier, outside there was just nothing, nothing, nothing at all; at which point you could argue: why exit, then? Well, would you rather stay in a penal colony?)!

23. Azradesh says:

Rewind!!!

24. Hi!! says:

The training part in the monastery is pretty good, btw. I wasn’t too pleased about joining them either (I just couldn’t decide – I’m a swordfighter, and they use stupid sticks to fight with – but on the other hand, they’re not criminals like the Don’s guys). But after being in the monastery for a while, I started to really enjoy the place.

25. Tei says:

“So what now? Do I rewind by what amounts to around 9 hours of play? Or do I see how far I can get in this bastardised state, if enough monks will treat me as an ally to allow progress, or if too many doors have been shut by my earlier banditery? Am I friend to no-one, enemy of all? Does it even matter, or can I simply head off-piste and go exploring until I get bored – hang the fate of the world?”

HE!, can anyone here help the reviewer? I don’t see how the broken can be unbroken, and is somewhat sad to give a reviewer a broken path to walk. HE!. lets help Alec, If we can.

26. Haderah says:

Actually lots of people warn you TO NOT go near the Inquisition because you, just like everyone else will be FORCED into it. So the game can’t give you the choice to not be forced, simply because it’s a key gameplay element. I mean they forced everyone else in joining, why would you be any different…
    That’s how i try to explain it to myself. Also, when i first met the Inquisiton i was already with the Don and when a guy tried to make me go with him to join the monastery and threatened that “by not obeying i will be murdered” , my guy just said he’s the Don’s messenger and that guy from the monastery was surprisingly ok with it and let me go.

27. Alec Meer says:

Yeah, I was aware of the warnings about conscription, but as I’d by that point been told by the Inquisition head in Harbour City that as I’d joined the bandits I was now the enemy, I presumed they wouldn’t want me any more. Also, I would have reloaded if the game had been more clear my status had changed – the problem was that, upon escaping, it acted as though everything was back to bandit-normal.

• Funky Badger says:

Railroading sucks. No reason they couldn’t have given you an impossible doing-over and rpess-ganging. (Very cool on the odd occacsion its done in games)

• Drew says:

Haha, seems realistic to me. You went near the guys you knew would press gang you, they press-ganged you. You escaped from them and tried to go to the criminals who believe that everyone from the inquisition is a brain washed spy, and surprise! they don’t want to hang with you. Now you say the monastery guys think you are a two-time loser for escaping and don’t want to deal with you either? sucks from a game point of view, but it does seem like the path you chose!

28. Vinraith says:

Is it a sad and cynical comment about me and games that it would literally never have occurred to me that jumping out that window WOULDN”T break the quest chains and screw up the game? Personally I’d have reloaded the instant the game labelled me “monk” for going near the church and thought nothing of it, it certainly wouldn’t have occurred to me to deal with the situation through in game mechanisms because I simply presume no such mechanism exists. The more I think about that, the sadder it makes me.

• bill says:

hmmm. Me too i think.
      That’s one of the problems of playing too many games… you are always thinking in terms of what the designers wanted you to do, rather than what you want to do.

It’s also tripped me up the other way a few times recently. Some of the more recent indie games DO allow you to use in-world systems logically to progress…. but i’m so used to game-systems that i often get stuck. :-(

• damien says:

years ago, while very very high, i conceptualized a make believe game engine that was completely modular and governed by basic physics. ie: walls and roofs weren’t just texture objects, they were built of smaller items found in the gameworld. this allowed not only the player to build things (beyond the MMO-crafting “recipe” cliche) that they found the parts for. the fact that the physics were universal meant that AI routines could also build things with these items.

i had great fun imagining groups of AI stalkers banding together to take scrap metal and wood and turn it all into logically constructed shelters. to place them in coherently defensible locations, near the sources for these raw materials, defending these sources, fighting over them. the player being able to go all macguyver in-game, using stones, wood and metal to build gatling lasers with motion sensors etc.

did i mention that i was very high at the time?

i keep waiting for engines (and our CPUs) to be able to reward players for our creativity / ingenuity in how we manage the resources we are presented with in-game in ways more subtle and surprising and INDIVIDUAL than “gather five lumps of ore, two fairy dust bags a glowy bit of gemstone and watch the crafting animation for ten seconds until a sword pops into your inventory that pops into everyone else’s inventory when they do the same”.

29. somedude says:

*spoilerific*
    Alec, just ignore Carlos – the Order guy in the city. He isn’t the big fish. He’s only useful if you want to volunteer or to be a mage. It seems that you ‘re conscripted now, so go back to the monastery and do your basic training. You can’t say that you haven’t been warned tho’.

Any quest you had from the swamp camp is cancelled and the game always tells you when that happens. I can’t see how you got confused.

By ch2 it won’t matter anyway…

• Alec Meer says:

No – no quests have been cancelled. Again, the game gave *no* signal that my status had changed.

• damien says:

so i’m guessing this happened after you finished the 4th of 4 quests for the don in harbour town, but BEFORE you wandered to his swamp camp?

according to the game. while you were “one of the don’s men”, you hadn’t met the don and hadn’t actually joined up / gotten the quest that allows you to roam without being captured yet.

while you couldn’t have known this before hand, your allegiance to the don was (according to the game) only known by yourself, the don’s underlings in harbour town and the head-man of the inquisition in harbour town, but not the don himself.

if it helps your role play, you weren’t working for the don, just his underlings, and got shunted off into the employ of the inquisition instead like every other sod they catch roaming about the island without a leash.

all that being said, play it out. i’ve not heard of anyone on any of the risen forums i read who’ve triggered this particular series of events that you have.

go back to the monastery and play it out, see where it leads. you’ll have a more unique play-through than most.

30. Allanon says:

Happened to me too. I continued to play in the monastery and finished all their quests. Then I always had 2 options with NPCs – say the Don follower line or Inquisition line. So I eventually sided with Don.
    The only problem with that bug is that there is a limit to your weapons skill of opposing faction. So, if you are Inquisitor you can’t eaise swords above 7…and since I was an outsider/insider for both of them I was stuck. Had to resolve to a cheat to get those points…but I finished the game and saw all there is to see in one game.

31. Javier-de-Ass says:

You realise you can’t go directly to see the Don no matter what, right? You have to go through his wife and do all kinds of stuff in the swamp first.

32. somedude says:

Eh, isn’t *that* a signal? Why go back if you can’t complete the quests? Isn’t it natural to do the new ones? What, in your opinion would be a better way to present it? With a [you are now a monk sucka] pop-up?

• Alec Meer says:

Oh, for goodness sakes’. I went back *because I didn’t know I could no longer do the bandit quests*. If it had said “x quest is cancelled”, as it does during other factional choices, upon being thrown into the monastery then I would have known.

33. Steve says:

Har Har Har Har..

Curiosity buggered the adventurer.

If you don’t want to roll back the clock so much I’d suggest reloading back into the monastery or attempting to get back in to complete the quests there in some way and become a proper member of the faction like you were supposed to.

If they wont just let you walk in you could set no-clip or something and walk through the door.

I actually suspect the magicians are the only real good guys in the game btw..

34. Taillefer says:

I was locked in the monastery for a different reason and levitated from the mountain to escape. Explored for hours until I finally thought how bad it would be if I couldn’t get back in. But! Luckily the guy at the gate let me back in after a brief exchange of words. If that failed, I’d have just levitated over the walls anyway.

[Spoiler if you like exploring for yourself]
    Look out for secrets in the monastery. I found many as a bandit, although it’s possible a monk’s training leads you there. Or it turns up as a quest later. Remember, secret switches don’t get highlighted, natch.

Also, I only just figured out how to dig! Bah.

35. Railick says:

To say that " you were warned you should have known better" isn't a very good argument. The point is he shouldn't have been forced join he should have been given the option to fight back. When a couple of guys say "Hey you're going to join us or else" You should have the option to say "Or else what?" and then kill them if you feel like it.

That is one of the gripes I had about Oblivion there are a bunch of people you can't kill. I don't rightly care if I break the thread of destiny and make it to where I can't finish the main quest, if I want to kill someone for talking to me the wrong way I want to freaking kill them not just knock them out and then have them wake back up. Luckily I was able to go into the TES thing and make sure all the characters are set to murderable for when I play through the game without playing the main mission (to be honest I've NEVER finished the main mission in that game, I haven't even gotten past the part where you are tasked with destroying artifacts from the daedra princes because I can't bring myself to part with any of them at all)

• Vinraith says:

“That is one of the gripes I had about Oblivion there are a bunch of people you can’t kill.”

In fairness to Bethsoft, many of the worst features of Oblivion (like this, and level scaling) are direct, ham-fisted attempts to solve problems people had in Morrowind. It was enormously easy to inadvertently destroy quests in Morrowind by killing an NPC.

36. somedude says:

Reading comprehension failed. I’m sorry, disregard the first question. Still, the monk clothes and the [get a staff!] quest are good hints imo. *shrug*

• Alec Meer says:

What is wrong with you, man? Nothing! Changed! I have no monk clothes. I have no staff quests. Nothing! Changed!

37. Railick says:

Maybe you should bring this to the attention of the devs so they can patch it in the next version ?( maybe make it so you can't jump out of the window with some latice work or make it cancel all the quests you'll no longer be able to do)

Either way it's pretty FUBAR.

38. SirKicksalot says:

I’m in a crisis too. Ventured in search of Th Myterious Temple To The East. Was filled with potions, plants and food from Harbour City.
    I barely survived the Journey Through A Mountain of Doom. At least I killed a Kickass Skeleton Lord and got myself some phat loot. Now I’ve decided to go back to the swamps, i can’t go through the rest of the mountain with only one health potion…

It’s awesome. I seriously consider joining the Order, seems better than living as a melee warrior!

39. Vinraith says:

It’s not terribly encouraging that both times I’ve downloaded the demo (from two different sources) I’ve gotten “catastrophic failures” on install.

• Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

I did too – the demo from Gamershell was a corrupted archive.

Initially had some problems with the one from Steam – but sorted it by the ever popular updating of graphics card drivers; which I hadn’t done in a while.

It’s not worth it. Playing it reminded me why I hardly bother with demos any more.

Here’s s a summary of what I did:

Wandered along a beach, found woman, found staff. Hit some monsters. Grabbed some plants and potions. Fed myself and woman. Hit a couple more monsters. Talked to bloke. Got sword. Talked to bloke. Followed bloke. Demo end. That’s it. Over. Done.

How the bloody hell am I supposed to judge a game from that half hour. All I could glean from it that the game looked reasonably nice in the foresty setting, the combat seemed basic but tolerable, there’s plenty of stuff to find and that I shouldn’t go near the monastry (looks at Alec).

So yeah. Can’t say I’m particularly inspired to fork out full price on that information alone. Another one for the inevitable Steam sale methinks.

Mental note to self – I was right, it’s only worth downloading demoes if it’s a puzzle game.

• Vinraith says:

Yeah, a lot of modern demos are more like system benchmarking tools. I use them to insure I can run the game well, they very seldom really tell me anything useful about the game play.

• Klaus says:

That’s where I downloaded the demo from. >:(
      Maybe that’s why it didn’t work. In any case I can’t be bothered to go at it again. I too really only use a demo to see if the game runs reasonably well on my cheaply put together computer.

• Vinraith says:

I got copies of the demo from one of the links provided earlier on RPS and from Fileshack, both faulted out with the same error.

• damien says:

@lambchop.

i’m often puzzled by the idea of how to showcase the strengths of more open / exploration based games in a demo.

i mean, imagine a demo for fallout 3 ending when you escaped the vault.

with this sort of game, i wonder if it’s possible for a developer to release a demo that works. simply because you’re damned if you do, damned if you dont. either you give too much, and have people playing it for months and or modding it to death without your making a dime, or you show too little (this would be risen’s case) and leave your prospective audience cold.

in my case, i used the demo very much like vinraith mentioned – as a tech demo. to see how it would run on my system before buying it.

• Malagate says:

Ohh Lambchops, did you really think the demo was all of 30 minutes like that? I’ve managed to play the demo for over 3 hours, all because I haven’t been following quests that lead me to cities or swampy camps. Don’t follow the quest lines and you can have an extra nosy around, there’s still some interesting little extras lying around (like a ghoul, and last night I found some horrible swamp men). Although you can’t really explore and survive without improving your skills, which I’m quite sure cannot be done in the demo.

40. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Most annoying, indeed, that, while they implemented enough warnings, there’s no clear statement on your status after being monk-napped. Also, it does go a bit against the idea of Risen as a rpg with lots of freedom. I mean, what could compel you to staya monk if you weren’t of a mind to stay and you manage to escape? And in the spirit of choice, it’s at least good you can escape.

41. Railick says:

Yah when I installed the demo from Steam it stopped right after I launched it with a flagrant system error. Something to do with flamboyant null pointers, lost gnome particles, and not enough peggles.

42. Damien Neil says:

Ooh, that just plain sucks. Clearly you just ran into a bug; the game really should support fleeing the monastery and siding with the Don. Or at least throw in a line of dialog to the effect that he doesn’t trust anyone who has been in the place. (There are persistent rumors that the monks brainwash conscripts.)

My advice would be to return to the monastery and continue on. You’ve stumbled into a path, but it’s still a legitimate path to take.

For what it’s worth, I also got myself captured by the monks, just to see what would happen. I reloaded immediately after, since it seemed clear to me that I’d made an irrevocable choice by doing so. So, while they clearly didn’t telegraph what was going on well enough, I think they did to some degree.

43. Railick says:

I'm guessing if he goes back to the monastery they won't let him in becaus he works for the Don or because the game still thinks he's inside.

44. damien says:

while i sympathize with this set of happenings (while at the same time strongly suggesting that Alec play it out and see where it leads), i admit that i’m a bit surprised that saving early, often and before talking to any NPC still isn’t second nature to anyone playing any RPG.

45. Railick says:

He didn't realize that this was a problem until 6 or so hours later. I dunno about you but I don't keep THAT many save files running at all times. If he saved before he talked to any NPC and never over wrote ANY of his saves he'd have hundreds of them
    Not to mention he had no reason NOT to over write the saves once he got out since the game didn't tell him he was a monk or that there was any problem at all. As far as he knew he'd escaped without being drafted into the monk army and should have no reason not to save the game and continue with his life.

Shadowcat “It hammers at my retinas like an evil woodpecker of pure energy”

• damien says:

i’ll admit that i save obsessively.

i’ve only put in about 30 hours into risen but have 371 saves.

46. Damien Neil says:

I am reasonably certain that you will be let back into the monastery if you return there.

47. Railick says:

Yah that's pretty obsessive :P I normally have 10 going at once at the most and I just go down the list and start over at the top when I reach the bottom.

48. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Just thought I’d reiterate that anyone having problems with the demo might want to upgrade their graphics card drivers. Did the job for me and I had a similar error to the one mentioned by Railick. I think it’s something to do with that newfangled NVidia PhysX thingumyjig.

Although as I also noted above it’s a waste of bloody time and shows very little.

49. Max says:

To be fair, NPCs do talk about how people who go to the monastery get brainwashed and forced to become monks.

• Eplekongen says:

But why?, what power does these monks hold over you that you simply cant refuse? There are a bunch of possible explanations for it, but none of them are in the game. You just get drafted. The game doesn’t explain, and in an RPG that is horrible.

50. Railick says:

That reminds me I down graded my drivers to like 2001 or something so I could play my old copy of Majesty hrmm . . . . :P That might solve a lot of the problems I've been having as of late lol.
    Do any of the NPCs say "Hey, I hear when you go near the monastery suddenly there is a brief cut scene and you teleport inside regardless of what you wish to do"
    I don't think Alec would have had ANY trouble with this if they developers hadn't of been so lazy. If he would have been approached by some guards and given the option of fighting or giving up and going with them and joining them I'm sure he would have been fine with it.

Shadowcat “It hammers at my retinas like an evil woodpecker of pure energy”