Give Brain Pieces A Chance: Boycott Ends

By Kieron Gillen on October 14th, 2009 at 3:51 pm.

I suspect not.
Walking_Target and Agent Of Chaos, architects of the much discussed Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott have decided to close the group, considering their mission was basically complete. Both make personal statements. Their opening statements sum up the situation as they see it…

Agent of Chaos: We have accomplished everything we can on our manifesto. We’ve been dealing with Valve ever since our group started, then we met them in-person and now we’re at the point of concluding our discussions. Our goal wasn’t to steer people away from L4D2, it was to get Valve’s attention and have them support original L4D. We succeeded and that’s where our mission ends; nothing more or less.

Walking_Target: People have lost sight of why we’re here. The comments are always full of trolls, people bashing Valve and phishers. What is more, people are unwilling or unable to wait for Valve to follow through in any cohesive way. Valve is at least trying to make things right, there will be speed bumps on the way, however we will get there. Even if it is not as quickly as we would like. The boycott has served its purpose and it is now up to you all as individuals to decide what is right for you.

Though there’s lots more to read there.

And all together now…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. StalinsGhost says:

• jalf says:

Eh, I kind of look at it the opposite way. What a shame it *was* led by braindead fools who didn’t know what they wanted or how to get it. They had a chance to do something meaningful, and they didn’t.

I’m pretty much with armlesscorps.

There were, and are, valid reasons to be disappointed in Valve, but these boycotters managed to miss every one of them, and instead create what was never more than a joke. A whiny “manifesto” demanding everything for nothing, and with absolutely no grounding in reality. And then Valve tells them “don’t worry, we’re the good guys”, and they close the group.

I just feel sorry for all those who actually *joined* the group.

• Gorgeras says:

Did we read the same manifesto? It seemed to be the opposite of how you characterise it Jaif.

2. sana says:

Tzk… carebears!

3. Army of None says:

Finally.

4. Ian says:

Have they actually achieved anything or have Valve just showed them what they were doing anyway to get them to quit blubbing?

• Alexander Norris says:

Does the difference matter? Whether Valve were never going to abandon L4D1 or whether they made the decision not to abandon it due to the boycott, the fact remains that we now know they’re not going to abandon L4D1. That means that their group’s aims have been accomplished.

• Sanns says:

We’ll never know. I, for one, do believe that Valve has been incredibly slack in releasing L4D1 content , and I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that the Crash Course content release (one of only two so far) came almost immediately after the L4D2 announcement and affiliated backlash. That said: who knows what exactly the alleged boycott did or did not do. Only Gabe knows for sure…

5. clive dunn says:

Has everyone been told? In twenty years time will we find feral boycotters in the jungle muttering about valve?

6. fishmitten says:

They’ve achieved bugger all, except maybe raise general awareness of L4D2 for Valve. No publicity is bad publicity.

7. Heliocentric says:

Angry internet men are like the hydra, make 2 happy and irritate 600 more.

8. phil says:

Well that one worked, on to the next one; http://www.tibettruth.com/boycottchina.html

9. Hug_dealer says:

the boycott is not over til you pry it from my cold dead reanimated hands.

In other news. good for them. I was never boycotting l4d2, i was just never going to buy it, and never will. I feel the first product was woefully lacking in content, and they never did provide enough to make up for it.

Thats just my personal opinion, everyone else is welcome to enjoy what they enjoy.

10. Wooly says:

Cool! Glad to hear that comment threads have been declared safe and peaceful! That will be a welcome change.

11. DK says:

And who the fuck crowned them kings?
    I love it when people assume they speak for everyone else.

What they’re actually doing, irregardless of their lack of authority, is not declaring their Boycott “over”, they’re declaring it “defeated”. If anything they’ve proven that Valve simply does not care – and have lost a good portion of the goodwill they built up with thier previous actions.

• Gundato says:

With regard to “who crowned them kings”?

The community that was boycotting. By joining their Steam group (or whatever), they pretty much agreed that those guys were their figureheads. And they kept doing that, until these guys changed their mind :p

• 1stGear says:

You seem to be under the same impression that many of the people in that comment thread were: that a Steam Group is a democracy. It’s not. Those people joined Walking and Agent’s group and fell in behind their beliefs. If they want to splinter off and form their own little boycotts, go for it. Perhaps they’ll understand better when they close their boycott groups and people start accusing them of having Valve’s cock in their mouths.

Besides, the whole thing was a complete failure at this point regardless. Aren’t L4D2′s pre-orders something like 200% more than original games?

• Vinraith says:

It’s kind of cute that people think the steam group is the boycott, and if the steam group goes away the boycott goes away.
      _
      That’s a hell of a lot of angry people. I suspect there are plenty more beyond them that, like me, feel betrayed by Valve but left the boycott because the “angry mob” mentality didn’t really suit us.
      _
      I’ve no doubt at this point that L4D2 will sell a bajillion copies regardless, I just worry about the lesson Valve will take away from all this and how it will impact their franchises that I still care about.

• Funky Badger says:

Darn them for making sequels to fantastic games.

GOSH DARN THEM ALL TO HECK!!!

12. Lilliput King says:

Valve wouldn’t have released Crash Course if it wasn’t for the boycotters. That much is obvious.

So in a sense they achieved something. Crash Course ain’t too bad!

13. Dinger says:

Finally, Valve realizing their dream of ten years running, of releasing episodic content in a timely fashion, and people cry boycott.

14. Paul Moloney says:

“first product was woefully lacking in content”

Just curious, but at what price point would you consider picking it up?

I was a bit disappointed when I bought L4D at first, but have found myself going back to it again and again for one more go, so feel I did eventually get my money’s worth. For L4D2 though, will probably wait a bit for a sale of some type, as I have enough gaming on my plate for a while (I resubbed to WOW, oh dear).

P.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

I pre-ordered L4D at £35 or whatever it was, flush with the massive hours of play I was getting from TF2. I was very excited

I was disappointed in L4D, possibly because I don’t have close gaming mates to play with (literally NO ONE I know in the real world plays PC games except me). I must have played it for about 8 hours or so and during that time, rather than a feeling of cameraderie, mostly it was one of resentment – “you’re doing it wrong”, or “this could be done more efficiently”, or “who the fuck threw that molotov THERE!”. That’s not fun.

So, I won’t be buying L4D 2, but that’s not a political statement (as if anyone cares). I do, though, wish valve would get going on Episode 3.

• kalgor says:

I will buy L4D when it hits the 10$ mark (like TF2 did during an special promo). Matbe everyone will be playing L4D 3 by that time, but I think the current price is just too high for this kind of game, even if everyone agree that it’s a great game.

• Funky Badger says:

L4D’s hands down the game I’ve played most over the last year. It’s great, the sequel lokos great. S’all good, innit?

15. Lobotomist says:

Its good that they closed it.

It kind of tanked when they took the bait and visited Valve.

At this point congratulations are due to Valve for extremely cunning politics. Their Public relations department should get huge bonus on this one, quit their jobs and join republican party for next election run. Classic case of “Wag the dog”

As for Boycott, it ended on paper. It is hard to fight 25 million dollar marketing campaign…

But Boycott is not dead. I myself convinced at least 20 people not to buy L4D2. And perhaps some more by my constant posting. If each boycotter , and there were 40.000 did the same. Than maybe we did make a dent. A small burn. Not enough to kill the beast.

But at least a message : We not gonna take it.

• Jesse says:

You bring a tear to my eye with your passionate defense of all that’s right and good.

Boycotters, find a real cause next time.

• Jesse says:

Yeah man, you channel that revolutionary power! Know that no matter how small, your actions made a difference in the fight to end world hunger, I mean, cause Valve to make a little less money.

PEOPLE THERE ARE REAL CAUSES IN THE WORLD THAT COULD USE YOUR EFFORT AND PASSION! Channel the nerd rage for good next time!

• Jesse says:

PEOPLE THERE ARE REAL CAUSES IN THE WORLD THAT COULD USE YOUR EFFORT AND PASSION! I have a dream that we can channel the nerd rage FOR GOOD!

• Gutter says:

Imagine now all the new sales that valve will get because of the publicity around this, and how Valve handled it (eg : far better than any other large company usually does)

Your “small dent” suddenly became a pretty effective viral marketing campaign.

• Lobotomist says:

Yay! Cheer corporate!

Now only if they can figure how to make it work on issues of racism, totalitarianism, discrimination :)

• Lobotomist says:

Imagine group of ethnic citizens publicly protesting discrimination , winning votes for radical party next elections.

Oh wait…It actually happens.

Yay! For human race!

Lets us just buy buy buy , consume consume , watch more TV !!!!!

• Stijn says:

Didn’t you read it? Comment threads are safe and peaceful now! You can’t just ignore that! This is insane!

• Psychopomp says:

“And even harder to fight generation X that grew brainwashed on TV commercials. Trained to respect the corporation over their own good. They as we know will buy anything if its packed in nice box and advertised. EA learned this long ago, and makes big bucks on selling the same game with minor changes, over and over again. And people buy it – that is the sad thing.

Valve are people too. They have needs. Cars, rent, mortgage, alimony …. It was just mater of time before they started reaching into that greed basket.”

Translation:”WAKE UP SHEEPLE!”

16. Hug_dealer says:

$30 seems about right.

They made the ai director really wasnt all that. He didnt make the game harder at all, it was still just random zombie charges throughout the map. weapons and ammo always spawned in the path through the map. we had no reason to move off the only 1 through the map.

Yes the game is fun, i wont deny that, but it wasnt all that. the gunplay could have been way more satisfying.

17. Optimaximal says:

To actually succeed they needed to understand the difference between a boycott and a petition…

As a result, this boycott was just full of perpetual crybabies and managed by sellouts – welcome to the internet, please come again.

18. Radiant says:

Who died and left them king of all idiocy?

19. futage says:

What a pisspoor boycott.

20. Hulk Hogan says:

The war is over!

Get back on your helicopters and get out of there before the Valve-cong get you and shatter glass tubes in your urethra.

No matter what you do, Gordon Freeman will haunt your nightmares forever.

Now it’s time for me to take all the credit.

Thank you, thank you very much. I could of done it without all of you butting in.

WATCH MY NEW TV SHOW ON HULKAVISION.

21. IdleHands says:

Oh dear this won’t end well, you mark my words. I’m gonna take cover before it all flares up, again. You lied Gillen! The comment threads aren’t safe yet!

22. abhishek says:

Can this please be the last RPS thread where whiners whine about L4D2 and other whiners whine about whiners whining about L4D2? Pretty please?

23. Heliosicle says:

The whole boycott thing was just a funny aside to me, I was always going to buy L4D2.

Valve never needed to take them seriously, so they never did.

• abhishek says:

Actually, I think Valve took them quite seriously. More so than most other people on the internet. After the announcement of L4D2, Chet Faliszek from Valve spent the next 2-3 months giving interviews to gaming sites where he had to keep repeating that Valve were not dropping support for the first game. While this was a natural question for anyone to ask of Valve, the fact that Valve went into a PR offensive/damage control mode regarding this query does mean that they were thinking about it. And, of course, the whole deal about flying those 2 people over to Valve HQ. They definitely got more attention than they deserved if you ask me.

• Heliosicle says:

I suppose the only reason they needed to take them seriously was because of the accusations they were making about their reputation, but mentioning they will continue to support L4D1 in interviews and flying a couple of guys to show you your game isn’t that big a deal, although I agree they gave them more attention than they deserved.

24. FernandoDANTE says:

This boycott was stupid from the get-go, anyway. I just knew that eventually all these anti-L4D2 people would be seduced by Valve, as Valve is so fucking good at seducing gamers.

• IdleHands says:

It must be due to Gabe Newells sexy, sexy dancing. He seduces gamers by stacking the entire Valve catalogue and dancing suggestively around them. It’s simply mesmerizing, in a kind of horrifically sexy geeky way.

25. Ansem says:

Can we stop all this L4D nonsense and move on to better things like the next Half Life or Portal?

Thank you for your time.

• Stupoider says:

I’m sure they would, if there was anything to report on HL2:EP3 and Portal 2.

Unfortunately, there isn’t, so they make the best out of what they’ve got.

• Ansem says:

Indeed. What a sorry state the world is in. =P I never found L4D all that impressive.

26. Red Avatar says:

Hug_dealer: that’s what I feel as well. You can run through the entire game in a couple of hours and while there’s some replay value, there was a distinct feeling that there was not enough variation in the concept. Only half a dozen weapons to choose from in this day and age is pretty weak not to mention that the concept invited so much more creativity and potential that never quite came to fruition.

Take the ridiculously linear design of the maps – it may have worked for Half Life but a zombie game where you can only run forward? Really? To me, that defeats the whole appeal of a zombie game! There’s also far too little interaction with the environment – barricading of doors is not possible, you can’t climb up things like drainpipes (you can use standard ladders and suchlike), etc.

For me, a zombie game would be about survival, beating the odds and using your environment to survive – that’s because every zombie movie has been like this as well – but L4D (and the sequel) isn’t anything like that. It’s a run & gun game, where you got to fend off hordes while running along a pre-determined path. The part where you are waiting for rescue is probably the best part of the whole game because it requires real coordination, a well planned approach and can really make you sit on the edge of your chair. Ah well, there’s still L4D 3.

• Vandelay says:

I agree that a zombie game based on survival rather than run and gun would be pretty awesome.

But I would also say many of the problems that were present in L4D seem to be getting fixed in 2. From the sounds of things, coordination of the team is going to get quite important. It was never really that necessary to pay that much attention to what was going on with the rest of the team, everyone just keep pushing forward unless you are at a moment where you should sit in a corner. But most of the new special infected seem to be geared towards splitting the team up. I imagine that it is going to become much more important to keep an eye on the rest of the team.

• Youatemycheeto says:

@Red Avatar

Are you imagining something like a zombie Oregon Trail? You might have to manage supplies and balance the time you go out hunting for food with the danger involved. All the while you and your chums are trying to get the coast (or something like that).

I kinda like that idea. L4D meets Children of Men meets The Road. Hmmmm.

• Red Avatar says:

@Youatemycheeto

Yeah, I had something like that in mind, where you had to work together to get the resources needed. It’s amazing that no company has tried to make a proper zombie game yet despite the countless zombie movies already doing a similar thing.

Heck, even Dead Rising was a disappointment because the game didn’t evolve: the safe house could never be overrun & you could never fight back zombies to regain areas.

What I’d really like, is, for example, for you to be in a town with each of you having to pick a suitable building to use as base while you wait for the military to come pick you up. This could mean that you’d need items gathered around town to make a radio, then get fuel for the generator (which you’d need to defend and if it got broken, you’d have to go out to repair it), food & med kit to recover health, scavenging weapons by exploring houses instead of having them neatly stacked on a table for you to pick up. Add a random element and you got yourself an immensely fun game! Your team mates could cover you by sniping from the HQ’s windows – getting back to the base would mean shaking off zombies so the door can be safely opened, etc. etc.

• ComVlad says:

@Red Avatar
      That kind of sounds similar to kerberos’ upcoming Fort Zombie or at least to what I’ve so far heard about fort Zombie. Not sure about the shooting side of things however since fort zombie is supposed to be more of a hybrid of several genres

27. Jad says:

While I am going to buy L4D2, I am glad that the boycotters had some success and I hope that Valve does continue to put some effort into L4D1. I finally convinced one of my super-cheapo gamer friends to get L4D1 in the last $15 sale ($15 being expensive for him, considering that he usually pirates games), so I’m sure I’ll be going bad to L4D1 occasionally to play with him. Also I still really like the original characters.

28. JoeDuck says:

For the people who left because they found the game’s versus repetitive, I think it’s worth mentioning that some mods are changing the versus game a lot these last days. I found some of them to be very interesting ideas.
    Some mods are mostly balance related, for example, one of the tweaks gives more damage to hunter pounces, so a big one can do up to 50, and another one increases special infected respawn rate.
    The most hilarious allows the survivors to crawl while incapped, making for some excellent and futile moments of helplessness while the rest of your dead team shouts encouragement and the inevitable end gets near.
    But for me, the most spectacular affects the smoker. First, it makes the smoker’s cloud toxic for the humans, so if they stay inside it after killing this special infected, they lose hit points. With this simple tweak the smoker is now very useful to destroy closet tactics. Survivor teams simply have to leave their closet or perish inside, and that makes a world of difference.
    It also gives the smoker a longer tongue, so he can reach from further and move while having a survivor trapped.
    All this makes the versus more brutal and more rewarding, now it’s very, very difficult to finish with the survivors even in the easiest versus levels. So every step and every person in the safe room counts, making for a more tense versus.
    Oh, and also, nice to see that the boycotter king and queen are getting L4D2, two more people to join the fun. :-)

29. TCM says:

The boycott was silly to begin with, as there was no proof that Valve intended to abandon support for L4D1, and in fact, every indication to the opposite: That they would be supported in tandem.

It doesn’t help that the majority of those who joined the boycott misunderstood its intended purpose, don’t get basic economics, and fail to understand the meaning of the word “boycott”.

• CaseytheBrash says:

I can’t really say it makes much sense to support an “out dated” product. I never saw much proof they planned anything more than technical polish maybe? Also, the new level seemed a bit rushed and small compared to the prior levels. Seems more of a promo tie in than an actual planned release.

• TCM says:

The entire point of Crash Course was to provide a streamlined Vs. experience, so you don’t need to spend upwards of an hour on a single multiplayer match, and it succeeded admirably. Survival mode was also added since release, and according to the boycott leaders themselves, more content is moving down the pipe.

• CaseytheBrash says:

Now it is, but who’s to say it was in the first place, that’s my point of contention.

30. Mike says:

So in other words, “We’re backpedalling; here are some reasons that give us a good excuse to stop doing this.”

31. CaseytheBrash says:

Why are people getting so riled up when consumers make demands of companies? If they want to boycott the game, fine, let them shake their fists at the sky and cry out. I just don’t understand the willingness of some folks to fight tooth and nail against consumers that speak out. Greed used to be a sin, now it’s some sort of virtue or ideal.

I thought it was a little soon for a part two, Valve should have made it an ex-pac to save some grief, but you can’t charge full game price for an ex-pac. Other than that Valve also sort of screwed themselves by supporting TF2 so well after release, they set an expectation that they could not live up to. To be quite honest, I don’t even think they noticed they raised the bar. L4D was fun, me and mine got many hours of amusement from it, I will most likely buy L4D2 soonish after release, depending on what I’m playing at the time.

• TCM says:

I encourage consumer demands against companies, it’s smart for consumers, and usually nets good results for companies that listen. The problem is when consumers get a ridiculous sense of entitlement, and demand the company not charge them for content that, obviously, a lot of time and money has been sunk into. Especially when the company has already released large amounts of free content, and continues to do so. At the worst, it’s no better than piracy.

• CaseytheBrash says:

I will not agree with you comparing people demanding something to piracy. It’s the assumptions companies are entitled to fleece people that gets me pissed. Those Nike commercials must have worked, it’s like the populace in general is trained to defend corporate interests. The boycott was not about getting L4D2 for free, that wasn’t it’s major concern. And when I speak of boycotts, it’s in general not this one in specific.

• TCM says:

I’m referring to the ridiculously entitled consumers when I say that.

The kind who will demand the world for free, and pirate when you don’t give it to them.

32. Stense says:

So we can talk about the actual game now and not that stupid boycott? Hooray.

33. Hug_dealer says:

so they streamlined crash course, does that mean they streamlined l4d2?

streamlined is code for less work. They came out with a small one because it was easier.

• Vandelay says:

I can’t comment on Crash Course (still yet to play it – except on Survivor mode, which was probably more thought out than the other levels), but streamlined doesn’t necessarily mean less work. Although the word can mean to simplify, it is generally used when meaning to make something more efficient. If anything, when done properly it would require more work.

Streamlining, when done right, is a good thing and should be done by most games.

• Psychopomp says:

“streamlined is code for less work.”

Let me guess, you also think TF2 is vastly inferior to the original?

34. jsutcliffe says:

Header image is broken. Comment threads still unsafe.

35. Andy says:

The thing I never quite understood (and indeed don’t understand still) is why people assume they’re getting extra content. Not only that by why people think they’re getting it for free (or a few $$’s if you’re an x-boxian).
    So valve heavily supported TF2… bully for them. Doesn’t mean they have to do the same for L4D.
    And the comparisons regarding number of hours played is garbage. I spent about 25 hours in half-life 2 when all was said and done but I put in about 200 hours in ES4:Oblivion. I think they’re both about as good as each other and both worth the same money I paid for them. Duration in either one doesn’t factor anywhere in my judgement of either game.
    If a review of L4D2 says it’s good then I’ll almost certainly get it. That’s what I base my opinion on. If some corporation (in this case one I rather like) makes some money, even more than some people say they should, then great. Well done them. They can have some more the next time they produce a good game.

• Red Avatar says:

When you say you’re going to be released extra free content, people expect you to do so. As simple as that. Since Valve promised more content would follow (which was the initial criticism of a lot of people shortly after release due to the lack of maps & weapons) yet the updates have been meagre at best so far so I’m not surprised people feel cheated when they see Valve will not only charge for the “updates” but will make it a separate title meaning they’ll be two different games. It seems lame for two games that are so similar to be split up – it will divide the community as well.

• jalf says:

At a wild guess, I’d say because Gabe Newell, Chet Faliszek and Doug Lombardi each, in separate interviews, went out and said “Oh, and if you buy L4D, we’ll support it with more content, just like we do with TF2. But with L4D, we’ll offer even *more* content for free, and at a faster schedule!”

Perhaps, just perhaps, that is why.
      And perhaps, if they didn’t mean to do that, they shouldn’t have said it. But they did.

Agreed with that one. And to be honest, I got quite a few hours of fun out of L4D. But like you say, it’s garbage to judge a game solely on how much you’ve played it.

36. Shadowmancer says:

Really episodic content from Valve has been extremely notoriously slow even so that many other episodic games have surpassed Valve look at Sam and max for instance when in comparison to Half life 2′s episodes. My only complaint about Left 4 Dead was that it was over hyped for years, and when it was released I had seen everything already before hand in the previews and was not amazed or wowed at all, in fact the rest of the game played out like the demo. As for the free dlc for TF2 and L4D I don’t like it, I would prefer that us as gamers would pay for stuff like that (micro-transactions) rather than suffer like we are now with stuff like the night of a thousand pyros, etc.

37. Duffin says:

The shit is really going to hit the fan with this one.

38. bhlaab says:

How damaging this boycott of a product not yet on the market must have been for Valve

39. armlesscorps says:

Stalins Ghost:

“Good on ‘em I say. It’s nice to know the boycott wasn’t being led by the brain dead crowd who just wanted something for nothing and those intelligent enough to look at the situation diplomatically.”

Have you read the boycott groups manifesto – they asked for Left4dead2 content for FREE or as an expansion . These guys were at the extreme end of the Boycotting demographic and they DID want something for free. They wanted something probably 100 ppl had worked on for a year for free, which is fantasy land.

Surely if your going to form a boycott group full of people who are not going to buy the game, you at least wait until the game is released lol.
    These dudes r a bunch of sellout fuckwits in my opinion, they probably closed the group now so that they can go buy the game and maybe not as many people will notice they are sellouts.
    Valve did good here, they invited them to their offices and the moment they did this it made the Boycott leaders look like theyd given in in one fell swoop.
    I was never going to boycott left4dead 2, but left4dead 1 has pissed me off with how many bugs its got and I wasnt keen on buying the sequel because of this, although i knew I would buy it at some point ( iv pumped insane amounts of hours into the original).
    Anyway I hate people with no principles, I hope they get a virus that never lets them play a valve game ever again.

40. Ravenger says:

I paid £22 for L4D from Amazon on release. According to my stats I’ve had over 150 hours play time out of it. I think I got my money’s worth.

I’ve also preordered L4D2, having teamed up with some other people to get the 4 pack, which comes to around £20 each. With luck I should get my money’s worth out of that too.

I just hope they find some way to link the two games together so I can join L4D or L4D2 games from the same lobby system, otherwise the community’s going to get split up.

41. Radiant says:

I’m going to boycott my local kebab shop, see if they’ll fly me to a farm.
    Who’s with me??

The foods great but they’ve started selling more varieties of sauces.
    Plus some other shit I need to deal with between me and my mum.

42. Uglycat says:

Did people bitch this much when Q3 came out? Limited SP content, mostly built for online play (same goes for UT for that matter).

43. ChaosSmurf says:

So, in conclusion, we win?

• Tei says:

This comic shows one side ideas really well. But it give zero information about how see the issue the other side. Is also poor demagogy.

44. Kamos says:

What people don’t seem to realize is that the “boycott” group is just that, a group. Most people there just wanted to have the statement in their profiles: “I think L4D sucked, and I’m not buying L4D2″.

45. ME! says:

armlesscorps:
    “Have you read the boycott groups manifesto – they asked for Left4dead2 content for FREE or as an expansion . These guys were at the extreme end of the Boycotting demographic and they DID want something for free. This was the reason I didnt join their group, it seemed like the manifesto had been written up by 12 year olds. Why the fuck have they ended the Boycott group now? There is nothing to indicate that Left4dead 1 is gaining anymore support because of them than it was going to anyway…”

i think you missed the part where they defined expansion as something to pay for, whether or not it was in that manifesto it was definitely talked about by them repeatedly. even in the final announcement Agent of Chaos says that $33.75 for the 4-pack is a reasonable price. NOT everyone in that group was out to get something for free, many just wanted assurance that L4D1 wasn’t being abandoned. And that’s the point isn’t it? Like Alexander Norris said:

“Whether Valve were never going to abandon L4D1 or whether they made the decision not to abandon it due to the boycott, the fact remains that we now know they’re not going to abandon L4D1. That means that their group’s aims have been accomplished.”

The creators of the group decided to close it because they felt they’d confirmed enough with Valve, and because it’s got loads of trolls and whiners compared to its early days. They never intended it to be that way, but so many people love portraying it as such.

And FYI, I was in the boycott only for that L4D1 assurance. Once I saw the admins’ reports from Valve and I started playing CC, I felt the faith, got the 4-pack of L4D2 and left the boycott. We aren’t all Valve-bashers and haters.

Long winded, whoooooooooops!!!! =D

• abhishek says:

So, basically, you pre-ordered a product you were boycotting? :P

• armlesscorps says:

I realise they meant a paid for expansion, thats why i seperated it in the sentence from free ( free OR an expansion ) this was still a dreamlike thing for them to say, an expansion would vastly limit the sales seen as many people found the original left4dead a dissapointment and wouldnt shell out for an expansion. Just the idea of giving the whole of left4dead 2 as free was ridiculous ( this was definitely something they suggested in their manifesto) and it made their argument silly in my opinion.
      As for them being surprised that it got jumped on by whiners, well when you start an argument of course it was going to have people involved who you dont like or agree with, all the people whining and going too far in dissing valve may not have even been a part of the boycott group. The guys themselves were kind of the ultimate whiners for starting the group to begin with.
      I see your point about getting valves attention, and its kind of valid. I dont think its right to join a group and then go back on what the group stood for tho really, like joining a boycotting group and then pre ordering the game, you should stick by what you committed to when you joined it…

• ME! says:

I feel like what i wrote about deciding to buy the game was completely overlooked. I *was* boycotting L4D2, until MY requirements are met. Not everyone there was adhering to everything that was in the manifesto. if that were the case i’m sure it’d be a much smaller group. Everyone was there for their own reasons. my biggest concerns were the splitting of the community, price point, and valve’s ability to deliver DLC. let’s admit it, they were pretty high and dry on L4D1 DLC for months, with the exception of the SDK (which, in itself, was delayed repeatedly). Once i saw *some* DLC, and a lower price point with the 4-pack, i was able to overlook the splitting of the community because i’ve come to understand that the communities can’t be entirely connected since the games *will* be significantly different. this isn’t something i believed early on, but came to believe as time went on and more info on L4D2 was released.

I was REALLY critical early on because the early trailer released for L4D2 WAY BACK contained entirely recycled zombie sounds, animations, etc – I *always* notice crap like that, and it made it feel like it was gonna be an audiovisual experience identical to L4D1. That’s one of the biggest things for me in a new game. That it looks or sounds extremely different, so I don’t feel like i’m in the same game. i even made my own 28 weeks later soundtrack to spice up L4D1 and it’s totally epic, works perfectly! Anyway, it seemed like they’d made the trailer so early on that there wasn’t enough content to really promote the game properly, so it irked me and I came to think it’d be nothing but an expansion.

And, Yeah the group probably was bound to get full of trolls n stuff, but saying that it makes sense is crap. What, so people are whining about L4D2. Then people come in there to tell us to stop whining about L4D2 – which, in essence, means they’ve joined the boycott group *just* to whine about us whining. Talk about hypocrisy. I don’t consider what I did whining anyway, I was expressing an opinion. Admittedly, some people there did whine. A lot. But if we really want to go into whining, take a look at the bajillion anti-boycott or “boycott boycott” groups that came out lolol. i know they were trying to mock us, but if one of the arguments they have is that it’s stupid to boycott a game, is it not just as (or more) stupid to boycott a boycott? isn’t that just saying “i’ll join the Left 4 Dead 2 official group?” haha

46. Ado says:

Erg. A couple of things to say:

A) Why does everyone expect free content for L4D?? Just because Valve have been VERY generous in the past, everyone seems to think that they get a free ride every time now. I don’t hear people moaning that there was no free content for Far Cry 2 (aprat from the bloody animals) or that you have to pay every time Blizzard release a few extra levels for their mind-sucker of game (you know who you are).

2) I’d rather them not realse L4D at all if I could just get my greasy mits on Episode 3 some time this century. L4D’s ok for the console kiddies but we PC Gamers are surely above this now, has no one played TF2?? A much superior game and one with a heart of gold, not the throw away AI masses of this “cash in on the Zombification of every possible media type of our age”.

iii) I wont be buying L4D2, it should be called Left 5 Dead and Borderlands will blow it’s co-op brains out…

• Duffin says:

It’s not so much that people EXPECT it, but rather that valve SAID there would be new campaign’s, weapons and I think they said even characters BEFORE the game was released.

47. A-Scale says:

It certainly hasn’t ended for me. I won’t be buying L4D2 unless they whip out some insane show of repentance like offering people who bought the original L4D at full price a 50% price cut on the new game. I never got anywhere near $50 worth of fun or quality out of L4D.

• Stijn says:

Then, maybe, Left 4 Dead 2 wouldn’t be the game for you anyway.

• A-Scale says:

Are you suggesting that L4D2 is also going to come out half assed and with major balancing issues? Because in that case, I agree.

• Stijn says:

No, I am suggesting that given the fact that tons of people enjoyed Left 4 Dead a lot, but you apparently didn’t, maybe it’s simply not the kind of game you enjoy playing.

• A-Scale says:

I didn’t enjoy it because a closet based defense game isn’t fun. I would have like to seen Valve implement the solutions to that game breaking problem in the first game rather than abandoning it like an insect shedding its shell. And no, a short DLC or two doesn’t make up for that inherent closet problem.

• Stijn says:

Well, then agree with the rest of your team not to go sit in the closet. Worked for me.

• A-Scale says:

Did it really? Because I got laughed to hell every time I suggested it. It’s like asking one side of a checkers game to play without kings. It completely imbalances the game and breaks even further what was an already broken system. But I can see you’re an apologist rather than someone seeking discussion, so I’m done.

• ME! says:

oh man that worked for me too actually… if i played with friends, it would be easier.. but even some of them were reluctant. so what i would do is stay OUT of the closet alone so they’d be like “awww DAMNIT it’s worth taking damage rather than letting him die” hahahahaha…

and lo and behold, when ALL 4 of you stay outside in an area to defend, you can actually take almost NO damage!!! who woulda thought!?!?!

i still love taking credit for fighting with my team, backs to the elevator in NM4, side by side like a firing squad, stack-less baby. I was the first to do that with my guys, and they came to realize it worked well if everyone agreed to do it. even when they stacked, i’d still do it and just say “hey, 3 of you are facing me, so save me if i need it” haha

48. Vinraith says:

People that feel their trust was violated won’t be buying it regardless of the actions of a couple of group leaders, but it’s a shame Valve’s been given a public free pass on their errors in handling this situation. I fear the chances of them learning anything positive from it just dropped significantly. Here’s hoping L4D1 was just a blip regarding Valve's usual standards of quality and support (presumably due to being primarily Turtlerock developed), and not the beginning of a genuine across-the-board deterioration.
    _
    The sooner Ep. 3 shows up, the sooner we’ll know.

49. DJ Phantoon says:

People that joined the Steam group will find their hats mysteriously missing months from now when Gabe Newell is bored.

They will all recieve the tower of hats hat in return.

Comment on this story