Lego Indy 2 Has Cutest Level Editor Ever

By John Walker on October 14th, 2009 at 7:35 pm.

Better than the film already!

The content of Lego Indiana Jones 2 is somewhat odd. Not only does it feature Traveller’s Tales‘ interpretation of the recent abomination of a film, but also apparently the first three films again, but with no repeated content. But most interesting at this point is the level creator that’s coming with it, detailed in the developer walkthrough posted below.

Of course, we shouldn’t be dismissing the Lego version of Indy 4. The Lego Star Wars games were much better when mocking the more recent trilogy than they were when reverentially paying homage to the original. Perhaps it’s too soon, but I’m certainly hopeful there will be tongues in cheeks for this one. It’s also interesting to wonder what they might be using of the original three films, and why they didn’t choose to use them the first time. But anyhow, check the video for many more details, especially how damned cute the level builder looks:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Inanimotioon says:

This seems like an awful lot of content! I’m amazed.
    And that is just the cutest darn level editor ever.

2. WilPal says:

I love Lego.

3. Heliosicle says:

Long hair is LOOOOOONGGGG

“You’re able to BUUUUIIIILD”

Looks awesome however.

4. Railick says:

Just finished Lego Starwars II :P weird

5. Dominic White says:

I admit that it is a VERY cute editor, and the split-screen idea is awesome and every game with co-op should steal it. That said, Little Big Planet may have a fractionally less cute editor, but it’s a helluva lot more powerful.

The tutorial narration is also done by Stephen Fry, making it at least 110% classier.

• LewieP says:

It looks similar to how The Warriors worked, although the divide was static (but then the two screens would merge when you came into proximity).

• Dominic White says:

Bionic Commando Rearmed also did seperating/rejoining splitscreen, but this looks like it takes it one step further and actually angles things so that it’ll match up no matter what directio you’re moving in, so it also acts as a compass to find your buddy. Very clever.

• LewieP says:

I having to think a bit about exactly how it will work, and you are right, I think it’s very clever,

• Aubrey says:

The first game I saw which did it was a Dragon Ball Z game. It was a 1on 1 fighter.

There you go!

But yes, it’s an excellent idea. I think it can also be done with more than two players if you “fracture” the screen correctly, but it might be a bit to crampt for certain players.

6. Gotem says:

every game should let you drown people in a pit of lava

7. Gotem says:

every game should let you throw people in a pit of lava

8. LewieP says:

I wonder if they will bundle the two indy games together in a “Complete Adventures” package at some point.

I don’t wonder of course, they will obviously do it.

I want to like the LEGO games a lot, but I just end up getting frustrated at how badly they control/play. All the charm and humour of the cut scenes isn’t worth the mediocre platforming.

• Vinraith says:

Yup. They’re cute and funny, but they play pretty badly, and provoke a massive amount of frustration. Unfortunately, my wife adores them, so I get roped into playing them from time to time anyway. It usually ends with me stomping out of the room muttering things about shitty level designs, cameras, and controls.

• BigJonno says:

Are we playing different Lego games or something? I’ve only played the demos of the non-Star Wars ones, but the original Lego Star Wars is probably the best aimed-at-kids game I’ve ever played. My only real gripe is that there is the occasional camera angle that hampers the platforming.

9. clive dunn says:

When i was 8 i left my lego car and it’s occupants infront of my electric fan heater while i had my dinner. I came back ten minutes later to witness the most grotesque thing i have ever seen in my life. The little lego people had melted into their seats but their little smiles were still discernable in the mangle of steaming plastic. I like to think that this moment scarred me for life.

• The Hammer says:

Ahahahahahahahaha.

Oh man, that is wonderful.

Except not for little you and the LEGO men, obv.

10. Mike says:

Wow. That’s making me really look forward to the MMO.

• RogB says:

the MMO does not feature that style of builder (its a different dev team) if thats what you are inferring . if not, ignore ;)

11. westyfield says:

“Let’s see what happens to these guys when the pit fills with lava.”

Gee, I wonder?

That is a great-looking level editor, the splitscreen looks really cool as well.

12. Koozer says:

“…and for the first time ever in a LEGO game, you’re able to build your own level!”

Er, LEGO Creator, LEGO Creator: Harry Potter, LEGO Creator: Knight’s Kingdom, LEGO Stunt Rally, LEGO Legoland and LEGO Island respectfully disagree.

13. Heliocentric says:

Lego batman ran like shit, before crashing. They are getting no more money off me until they patch that rushed out abomination… Ah who am i kidding, its just lego batman was the first title my son understood what was going on without me saying a word.

The bad men were stealing money, we are the police/heroes. Men with laser swords and soldiers are harder for a 5 year old to track the plot of.

• BigJonno says:

You’ve clearly not exposed your five year old to enough Star Wars. :)

14. TCM says:

That level editor right there should be standard for all games ever released, ever.

RETROACTIVELY.

15. Carra says:

Their developers use that editor to create their levels? It looks damn cute but horribly inefficient. Just drag & drop must go a lot faster to create content.

The editor does remind me of Evil Genius. Creating linked traps, wee!

16. Vandelay says:

Looks cute… for a few minutes. Doesn’t look like it will exactly be the most efficient way to make levels. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to spend the time making anything to elaborate with this.

I like the split screen feature though. Being able to use the level creator in co-op mode is also pretty cool.

But, to be a little controversial, I actually thought Indy 4 was alright. Not near the greats of Raiders or Crusade, but certainly not the travesty everyone claims it to be. Too much CGI though.

17. Shnyker says:

Its wiremod!

D’aw so cuuuuute!

18. Bhazor says:

That split screen is just too cute. Even if it is confusing.
    As for the level editor? Seems to be missing out on the whole “reenactment” part of the series. It’s a nice addition that looks like fun but I just don’t think the game mechanics are strong enough to stand without the funny so I’m doubtful about it having any long lasting community.

19. paddytehpyro says:

Screw the game. The editor looks to be worth the price.

Also, LEGO GMod anyone? :D

20. Count Zero says:

That editor could probably be sold as a game in itself, and i would probably buy it too.

21. Jason Moyer says:

Slightly off-topic here, but did anyone else notice that Lucas just released SW: Complete Saga for PC, finally?

22. Koozer says:

Am I the only person on the internet to ever own LEGO Creator? Traveller’s Tales aren’t doing anything new. Jeez.

23. Pod says:

The Lego series of games are the best games ever.

24. Obdicut says:

This is nifty. I felt the original Indiana series wasn’t quite up to the Star Wars series. And the level creator will be very cool as well.

@Vinraith:

PC gaming seems to upset you a lot.

25. whaleloever says:

I’d prefer a more bricks-and-mortar level editor. Or, should I say, a bricks-and-knobbly-bits level editor.

26. Rei Onryou says:

Fun level editor, but it makes me wonder whether or not it slows progress by playing with different characters and having to manually pick up and move pieces. Then again, that WAS with a 360 controller, so it’d no doubt be faster on PC. =P

27. Caiman says:

Remember these LEGO games are also aimed at kids (as well as man-kids / woman-kids) so having a fun and very user-friendly level editor is so obvious it’s almost inspired. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a “hard core” mode though, where you can dispense with the little LEGO men and instead drag-and-drop more traditionally. But if you use that mode, you have no soul.

28. Electrophotonic says:

Idunno… I tried Lego Star Wars – The Original Trilogy, but I found the gameplay both incredibly frustrating and terribly bland. Which is too bad, I love Legoes! …Legos …LEGOs…