Star Wars Zombalaxies

By Jim Rossignol on October 14th, 2009 at 3:03 pm.

No, you don’t get to get away from the zombie culture-plague by playing a sci-fi game, because it only pops up there too. A Halloween zombie event for Star Wars Galaxies, inspired by the recent Star Wars zombie novel Death Troopers, is now live (undead?). Assuming anyone is still playing the over-hauled Star Wars game, it seems they’ll be able to get involved in a quest arc to fight zombie wookiees (probably, I mean they’re in the artwork), among other craziness.

, , .

1. phil says:

I think I’ll wait for the guest appearance of Vampire Palpatine before I resubscribe.

2. Dominic White says:

This actually sounds like a fun sorta event.

Now, if only they’d done stuff like this years ago, back before they went and drove SWG into the goddamn ground and lost 95% of their playerbase.

3. Weylund says:

No, I think NGE would still have screwed them over. Pressing a mouse button over and over while watching your character dance in one place making numbers pop over people’s heads without them reacting… err… yeah, too lame for zombies to help. I mean, it’s a lightsaber for chrissakes! Why does it take twenty hits to take down the ten-thousandth gang member I’m supposed to kill?

Galaxies almost ruined Star Wars for me after decades of fandom. Then I played Jedi Academy. Flipping and leaping and parrying and shit? Yes. That’s Star Wars.

4. Frosty says:

I don’t suppose anyone has being keeping track of this Star Wars horror tweeting? http://twitter.com/TK329

Seems SW is really going all out for halloween. As long as Jar Jar stays dead.

5. SanguineAngel says:

Anonymous Coward said:

I generally speaking agree with this. However, I have to admit that Galaxies (pre-f*-up) was my favourite MMO experience. I think there was something about the atmosphere. Also, I liked a lot of their initial ideas. Musician may not have been greatly exciting to you. But there was something to be said for strolling into the canteena low on health, after a long fight and having the music heal you up. It was a bit symbolic, but it was something I liked.

I admire them for this because they are still giving to their community. I ain't going to resubscribe for it because i think they broke the game a bit. Plus i am very over the current MMO trends, but I do admire their persistance.

6. Howl says:

Someone at the Lucas camp needs to wrestle the Star Wars license away from SOE; they are an embarrassment.

Chaz says:

Zombie Storm Troopers, what ever the hell next, a Star Wars dance movie?

“Two hip young rebel Jedi’s take on the might of the Empire the only way they know how. Through the power of dance!”.

My word the whole Star Wars brand/franchise/universe has really gone down hill.

8. Weylund says:

I think Howl’s right. It’s SOE. They handle games like raccoon hookers.

Republic Commando, the JK games (mostly), KOTOR (mostly). Very good games. I still play Empire At War on occasion. But SWG… somebody had a good idea once on that game. And then someone else said “oh, let’s design it now!”

9. mootpoint says:

And to think that WWII got a hard time for being the meme of both RTS and FPS. Zombies seem to have even more genre-defying meme power.

• Tei says:

It could be a politic thing. You can’t make a game about the occupation of USA of some countries, and you can’t make a game about Las Malvinas, you can’t make a game about jews vs palestins, etc… You must avoid most of these real world problems, to make a game, that is safe from the ire of some braindead or almostbraindead people. Zombies seems almost political safe. Still the politics in Oz feel “attacked” wen a game against Zombies is launch in his country. In the current world, something like Ford Fairlaine and Duke Nukem are impossible. You can’t walk, in fear to break any toe.

10. Weylund says:

WWII got a hard time but it sells games like jackalopes selling butter with which to cook them. Zombies are the same. “Hard time” is usually trumped by “cash in gigantic, pants-filling buckets”.

11. Railick says:

You actually CAN make games about Israel Vs Palestine

There are like 50 games about US occupation of other countries. (Several where you have to invade Iraq and try to kill Sadam Hussein were released when the Iraq war started :P)

You CAN make games about the Falkland Wars (Which I guess what you mean by Las Malvinas) http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ProSIM/TFW/TFW_page.html

• D says:

I think his point was about *successful* games. Theres also a game about killing JFK – you can pretty much do whatever. BUT WILL IT BLEND? Ehm, sell.

12. Godl1keStev3 says:

Erm… nah. Burn in Hell, SOE. And take your bloated cash-cow with you.

(wow, that was unpleasant)

Anyone for some tea?

/levity

13. Flyspeck says:

Ha, just saw this come into the bookstore where i work today

14. Big J says:

There is a project going on to emulate Pre-CU. They developed a server line-by-line by themselves and you can play on the test center as long as you have the discs.

It’s called SWGEmu.

15. sascha/hdrs says:

SWGEmu has been dragging along since years and so far I haven’t seen any of their servers in a state that looks anything better than pre-beta.

SWG has actually become some fun recently. The prob is that the players are missing LOL.
    The Zombie area is well made but it’s soo un-starwarsy that it hurts! Instead They should fix two things that are starwarsy like nothing else: Space and Smuggler!

16. whatever_man says:

speak for yourself, I spent many hours in the cantina dancing and socializing with people, followed by many hours of hunting and exploring, followed by many hours in the cantina… etc