Cowboys And Other Cowboys: Lead & Gold

By Jim Rossignol on October 15th, 2009 at 8:54 pm.

Lead & Gold, a reds vs blues multiplayer shooter inspired by hoodlum-headshotting antics in the Old West, is looking like it might be a tolerable amount of fun. And I mean that, because the trailer really isn’t anything to write home about, although it might make for an unusual missive if you do ever actually write home about anything. (“Dear Mother, today I saw a trailer for an unexceptional-looking multiplayer shooter trailer on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. I mean, it doesn’t seem like it’s anything we haven’t seen before, but it might just prove to be fun, and the Wild West environments certainly look well-conceived. Well, that’s all I have time for. I hope you’re okay. Love, Steve”) Better not do that. Write to mum about your feelings instead. Then go watch the trailer and open the sluice gates of opinion into the comments threads below. We’ll be panning for nuggets.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Batolemaeus says:

Judging only from that screenshot, i thought it was just new player models for Tf2.

2. GuiSim says:

Engineer
    Sniper
    Soldier

Looks pretty good :)

3. Lewis says:

Yeah, thought it looked acceptable.

4. Spectre-7 says:

Looks kinda keen, but probably just because I’m a sucker for cowboys.

5. Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

It’s a gold rush in the dustbowl! Yeehaw!

6. Inanimotioon says:

I don’t think anyone can deny the TF2yness of this game.
    Still definitely looks like a fun time.

7. Senethro says:

No first person view, no interest.

*sigh* when did I become such an FPS zealot.

8. Krondonian says:

TFWho?

• Krondonian says:

Although actually, my main critism of most multiplayer shooters is ‘not enough like TF2′, so that could be a plus.

9. Dan K says:

looks like something I’d play, love the look and feel, love 1800s era pistols so I’ll probably have to get it.
    Is it free like BFH? Beause it has a BFH feel, with the dmage markers

10. PleasingFungus says:

If it was free, you’d think they’d have mentioned in the trailer.

(“Level reached”? Wonder how that’s going to work. Special abilities, equipment, weapons…?)

11. Player2 says:

I really wish they’d drop the classes and just let me get the gear I want. Although, then you’d have to sacrifice those class movement speed aspects, unless the gearing system was point based.

12. caesarbear says:

It sure look purdy, but I’m not so sure about that gameplay. Doesn’t seem to have much over Fistful of Frags.

13. GrassyGnoll says:

When did scope sights come into existance? Hope the guns a wonderfully inaccurate, just like the real thing. Maybe as you level you move from smoothbore to rifled guns. I want to see an FPS shoot em up with muzzel loading.

• caesarbear says:

There the hideously ugly but awesome Battlegrounds mod for HL2

• Ansem says:

Caesarbear, I applaud your comment.

Many a LAN party of mine was spent playing that mod. It’s ridiculously fun. Whenever my friends and I talk about good gaming memories Battlegrounds almost immediately comes to the forefront of the conversation, and often stays there. The hilarity is beyond description. I had no idea that it was still being supported. I think I’ll go reinstall it right now.

14. shiggz says:

Hilarious.

15. Cedge says:

I think this looks awesome. Absolutely looks like something I’d buy.

16. WilPal says:

Looks like a dodgy third person TF2 ripoff.

17. Maniac11919 says:

Previous working title:

Shovelware: Old West Edition.

18. Wedge says:

At first I thought he was carrying some kind of magical Wild Western Wizard staff on his back, and I was interested. Then I realized it was just a flag and was sad.

19. Jeremy says:

That’s how BF2142 worked, more or less. You could pick up different load-outs from corpses (your own team and the enemy’s), then you’d have their main weapon and add-ons, including things you might not have unlocked yet.

It couldn’t be too difficult to have a speed modifier in each of the gear drops. Have no other games done this, or have I just missed all of them?

20. ACS says:

The whole deal looks pretty workmanlike. Clean lines, well-flowing combat, easily distinguishable characters. “No automatic fire” is a fairly good concept. On first glance, a solid B effort, which is impressive for a studio I’ve never heard of.

Probably enough to warrant a couple bucks thrown their way. Some of their people will probably be hired off by better-known manshoot firms. The whole deal is like reading decent spec scripts or watching a decent short film: you may not be terrifically interested in what’s going on right then, but you can see the talent as it flows through the pipeline toward something you *are* interested in.

Good job.

21. Jeremy says:

Woopsie, my previous post was meant for Player2, so it makes slightly more sense…

22. Brass Gerbil says:

Well that’s good, because I hate intolerable amounts of fun.

23. D says:

I will instead tell my mom that I don’t believe I have seen hats fall off dying men that nicely before. Call of Juarez multiplayer sure didn’t have them. Also I’m certain she will appreciate that I liked the blood on ground effect.

24. Oak says:

Since you mentioned it, I feel compelled to shout from the comment box that Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood’s multiplayer, though strangely hatless, is fantastic stuff.

25. Quinns says:

This game is going to be great. None of you guys can see that! That is a shame.