Running Rings Around: Siege Of Mirkwood

By Jim Rossignol on October 15th, 2009 at 8:38 pm.

Lord Of The Rings Online doesn’t seem to be getting a huge amount of press these days, but it’s nevertheless trundling onwards, with Turbine seeming to put a huge amount of work into expanding the game. The attitude of the few LOTRO players I know seems to reflect that: they’re not talking up their game to any great degree, but they seemed pleased enough with how it has been handled, and how Turbine have delivered more stuff since launch. Siege Of Mirkwood is the second expansion, which apparently concludes the quest arcs set in motion by last year’s Mines Of Moria. It’s also supposed to introduce randomised, scaleable instances, which sounds like a useful notion, as well as doing the obligatory level cap raise, this time to 65. It’s due for a December 1st release, and the official trailer sits under the nether-click. It’s got elves in, and a Ring Wraith fortress. Spooks.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tei says:

It seems that LOTRO is now the 2th mmo (the 1th is, of course, wow). It seems these guys did something right. But also there are rumours that the game is becoming a soloer-fest.

• Earl_of_Josh says:

This must be really hard to balance correctly, since WoW had the opposite problem for such a long time.

• Ravious says:

As a current player, I really have no idea what you are talking about. There are plenty of opportunities to meaningfully solo, and Skirmishes lets soloers do that even more… but some of the best content is still group content. Turbine might be creating lots of soloable content, but they are definitely not ignoring those that like to group.

• Tei says:

“As a current player, I really have no idea what you are talking about”

I am talking about rumours that is getting harder and harder to make PUG’s, since the game population are becoming more prone to soloer, and avoid grouping. But is just a rumour,It could be wrong. Most MMO’s are into that evolution to (bad) singleplayer games, so It will be like normal, but sad, that LOTRO is following it too. Sad because with the LOTR lore and all, It was a delicious grouping game.

2. Theoban says:

I feel really bad about not renewing my subscription this month. It’s been aaaages since I logged in, but I really don’t want to lose my house. I might reinstall this weekend.

My house has a fireworks launcher. SHOW ME ANOTHER GAME WHERE I CAN HAVE A FIREWORKS LAUNCHER

3. Mashakosha says:

Ah, good old LotRO. Just bought the special edition of SoM just so I can have a new mount. No idea what it’s like, but I want it anyway. And mounts are sexy anyway.

4. We Fly Spitfires says:

I can sum up this expansion in one word: “meh”.

5. bill says:

This looks great. I wish it was a game instead of an mmo.

If i was to play an MMO, i think i’d pick this. Partly cos i just want to spend time running around Middle Earth… and it does look pretty.

Why oh why can’t they release a single player RPG based on this MMO? I’d definitely pay for that…

• ulix says:

Wasn’t EA making an open-world single-player LOTR – RPG?

White Council? Seems like its on hold, which is a shame, really.

6. Lobotomist says:

Shame that Turbine gives expansion for free if you resubscribe for 3 months. And Codemasters (Europe) not.
    Same goes for DDO. Turbine gives it for free. While Codemasters still has subscription….

• Tei says:

It could be lazyness. The work ethics in USA is very high, so stuff like lazyness is not tolerated. But here in europa, seems that submission to the command chain is more important than productivity. As a result, decissions on europe are vertical, from the high, to the bottom. Where in USA there are more horizontal decissions, and decissions made in the bottom. Since is the bottom that have contact with the market, is often aware of problems that will never be available on the top. As a result, our work culture is broken. The people with the information can’t take decissions, and the people that can take decissions, lack the information. I am sure some dude at Codemasters was aware of this benefict, but was not in his hand to move his company this direction. Wen the higher ups are aware of the need of such things, is too late… as in “I have read in a blog that Turbine are doing such and such, and we are not doing it…”.

7. MrTest says:

A proper LOTR RPG is well overdue. It’s one of the few licenses I actually feel *needs* to be exploited in an interesting way.

8. Ian says:

I too would like a proper LotR RPG. The Third Age did nothing for me.

Most of what I hear about LotRO is complimentary and I really ought to spend a weekend having a bash at the trial.

9. fabrulana says:

Awesome game, they can have my money any day …. and now they do :)

10. Matthew says:

LOTRO’s the only MMO that I’ve tried that has really clicked with me. If you join a decent kinship, of course, you’ll rarely be lost for grouping opportunities!

11. Zyrxil says:

It’s a very casual experience though. I mean, it has raids and stuff, but a lot of the game mechanics don’t make sense under mathematical scrutiny. There aren’t a lot of theorycrafters playing so it sort of works out.

12. Centralblues says:

LOTRO is my first MMO experience, having read the books since I was a wee one, I have to say, I love it. I have 6 toons going, one level 60 Guardian and I really like the whole experience. The only problem I have is I’m in a small kin, we can never get enough people together to run the big instances for radiance gear which prevents us from doing the big raids as they are radiance gated.
    I prefer all the content up to the end game stuff and enjoy leveling toons more than running the same instances over and over so I can get my rad gear.

Overall, I’m pretty pumped about this expansion, will give me a chance to take my lvl 60 toon up a few notches. I just hope they don’t forget about the rest of the experience for the multitude of people who don’t have lvl 60 characters.

13. Windleaf says:

As a player and longtime Tolkien fan, this is the only MMO I’ve played that I am willing to commit time and money to. I’ve yet to get a lifetime membership but certainly will. I tried WoW but it just didn’t work for me. Then again I have a bias knowing a lot of LOTR lore and none of WoWs. If nothing else I know WoW has amazing cinematics.
    A kin is good to have, not hard to find one. There are plenty of raiding Kins, Maelstrom on Meneldor is one I know of, all 60 lvl and they have all the gear. I’m not in it, but as a casual player I like my smaller Kin fine.
    Some hardcore players gripe about class nerfing, but overall it’s a great game I’d reccommend highly to anyone. Going from console FPS shooters to an MMO was a bit of an adjustment, but done easily enough. There are tons of helpful players who have been on since beta. I became more of a technical and strategical player after talking to players whose Kin I later joined.
    There is much to look forward to as much of Middle Earth isn’t yet open, such as Isengard, Rohan, Mordor, the Pelennor Fields, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Cirith Ungol and Minas Morgul, Fangorn, The Dead Marshes, The Lonely Mountain and Lake Town, the Desolation of Smaug (though the last 3 most likely would be combined). In short there is a vast amount to lok forward to in expansions.
    My only concern in a technical sense would be the means by which classes evolve and abilities with so much yet to do in regards to untold chapters and unopened areas.
    I am hoping that the technical aspects will evolve as well as the expansions have thus far.
    In closing I am eagerly awaiting new classes, new monsters, maps, and seeing Middle Earth come to life, as I can now travel to a place I loved as a child and share in the adventures. I’m now living the childhood dream of being an Elf in Middle Earth, meeting the heroes, and finally meeting Lady Galadriel in Lothlorien (who I had a childhood crush on). So here’s to many years of evolution and fun! Cheers,

May the stars shine upon your road,
    Windleaf Beldagkir, Knights of Annuminas Kin