Multiplayer Freeosity Indie Shootage: Subvein

By Kieron Gillen on October 16th, 2009 at 4:36 pm.

Dying.

Wow. I’m failing even quicker than I thought I would. It’s taken me three attempts to even press the right button to insert a picture in this post. Anyway! I’ll press on before I start posting total gibberish – or rather, more total gibberish than usual. Ben Johnson dropped us a line, saying he’s got a free top-down indie shooter to play, by the name of Subvein. It looks neat actually – it me of Smash TV and – more importantly for AP veterans – the immortal Extreme Violence (I met Simon Green last year randomly, and pretty much hugged him. This is totally what we did before Doom.) It looks like this…

And stronger people than me will go play it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Mordarke says:

It me, ‘eh?

Looks like a laugh, gonna check it out.

2. Richeh says:

I’d be even more impressed if it didn’t have hideously mismatched Robert Miles playing over it. Looks good, reminds me of Tapan Kaikki. Hope it’s better.

Does it have single player?

3. Marty Dodge says:

Yeah, the music in the video was a bit of turn off. Might check it out though.

4. Alexander Norris says:

Isn’t this essentially BabboViolent without the balls (someone can probably make a pun out of that)?

5. NiXu says:

Sure does remind me of Tapan kaikki, in a good way too. I’ll check it out immediately. Music reminds me a bit of Wings2… Oh the times :)

6. Zyrxil says:

Is it just me, or does it look exactly like Crimsonland with multiplayer and actual maps?

7. Casimir's Blake says:

Proof that having interesting taste in gaming, does not necessarily imply one would have similarly decent taste in music.

Robert fucking Miles. Excuse me while I cleanse my keyboard of vomit…

(Looks like a fun game, but with a perspective that zoomed out it will probably benefit from higher resolutions…)

8. bakaohki says:

This music made me puke.

9. IvanHoeHo says:

Holy shit, it’s soldat-with-production-values! Sadly without the bullet-physics, though – that was half the fun. I’m still totally in, of course

10. reginald says:

I can’t stand the music. this leads me to believe the project will not mesh with my brain

11. Matt says:

I just played it- fun, but I personally have a hard time getting used to the camera movement.

Also, ye olde better-player-also-making-more-money-getting-better-weapons-and-skills.

12. Ergates says:

Bit like soldat crossed with Extreme Violence.

Fun in the short term, but doesn’t really have much in the way of long term appeal for me. Maybe if some of the exp gains you go were persistant.

13. Daniel Klein says:

Played it for 15 minutes or so. Not sure I like it very much, and I’m a hardcore competitive player of all kinds of weird stuff. It’s too hectic to warrant a comparison to the magnificent Crimson Land and so it’s kind of a top-down Soldat, only you don’t have gravity to restrict the possible directions from which an enemy may come and the entire idea of having vertical space is a top-down shooter is just stupid.

Also, brutal learning curve for skills etc. Not so much learning curve as learning absolutely-vertical-wall-the-game-lets-you-run-into.

Will revisit anyway. Am glutton for punishment.

14. Powerhaus says:

Its entertaining, not really great. All the servers lag hard, too =(

15. Crescend says:

Norton internet security has some serious grudges against this game, it kept whining about the program acting suspiciously. Tried to ignore it, but after that Norton forcefully rebooted computer and deleted the game.

Shame, I enjoyed Soldat and I thought this’d be pretty similar.

16. Hypocee says:

Norton internet security

I think I’ve spotted your problem.

17. Ben says:

Wooo!! I made this game :D

Thanks RPS, you’re awesome.

18. Coded One says:

By far one of the greatest free multiplayer shooters I’ve played.

I highly recommend it.