Opening The Atlas: World of Battles Beta

By Kieron Gillen on October 16th, 2009 at 2:50 pm.

You look like I feel, orcs.

I admit, I haven’t looked closely at RTS-MMO World of Battles yet, but a release of a new Beta caught my attention today. Partially, because last night’s GMAs have destroyed 50% of RPS so any images you put in front of us provoke staring, but partially because a big old Free MMO RTS… well, that could be cool, right? You can download the just shy of 800Mb client from their site if you want to try, but since the site’s currently doing maintenance, you won’t be able to make an account and play until later. And here’s a fan video to show what it looks like…

Anyone playing this? Worthy of proper attention? Or should I just carry on working on math-rock/videogame Battles gags?

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Sporknight says:

Bah, who cares about those GMA wankers anyways, right?

2. Antialias says:

Ugh, faux-latin trailer music with metal undertones. How unoriginal.

• Psychopomp says:

Well, at least is started off with the wonderful Ozar Midrashim. More trailers should use that.

3. GriddleOctopus says:

GMAs… hurt…

…is Alec still down too? He was dry-humping me at one point…

4. GriddleOctopus says:

Duh, he’s been updating this morning. Ignore me.

Fede says:

I wonder how could they justify not awarding all their prizes to RPS. :(

6. yhancik says:

…because World of Battlecraft would have been a bit too obvious.

• The Pink Ninja says:

It’s not Warcraft, it’s Warhammer they’re ripping off.

The orcs in the top screen shot have been ripped straight from Warhammer artwork, right down to their shield designs.

• yhancik says:

Well maybe… it’s all green orcs to me.
      My silly comment was mostly referring to the name only… but with that new information now, I guess the most accurate name would be World of Battlehammer Online.

• Stromko says:

I could see them getting Cease & Desisted simply for the look of those Ork faces, they’re rather iconic aren’t they? The goblins at 3:34 are also ripped straight out of Warhammer, complete with their hoodies and love of orange.

There’s a lot of other orc/ork and goblin imaginings out there, a lot of which are much more ‘open’ in terms of who came up with them and who markets them. Games Workshop really has a case here though.

7. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Can anyone see a list of who-won-wot at the Games Media Awards anywhere online? I’ve had a scoot round and can only see nomination lists.

Did RPS not win anything? Boo!

Ta.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

Umm… Yeah click the link in the article above. No it doesn’t appear RPS won anything. The fahkin’ Guardian did win an award. What? They have one good writer (Charleston “Charlie” Brooker) and fuck all else to shout about.

But Log won an award, so that kind of cheers me up a bit.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

Oh yeah. Point taken. Lousy format to release that info – sentences etc.

8. John Peat says:

Just a quick question – can anyone spot an RPG/Fantasy game that this doesn’t seem to have plagarised to a ridiculous degree?? :)

9. Kid A says:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and all that. As long as the underlying game is solid, I don’t see a problem with them going for a Warhammer/pre-LoTR Tolkien dark-ish fantasy look. It could well be that things change a great deal by the time the beta ends. Maybe they just don’t have the writing/art talent available to do much more right now.

10. Weylund says:

I can’t wait to “build massive tactics”. Refreshing.

Honestly, though, I’d love to see a shot of the game that doesn’t involve an extremely limiting camera angle. Tons of polys, looks like, wonder what their requirements are.

Chaz says:

Its all very Warhammer isn’t it? A fantasy game that lacks imagination. It should be a contradiction in terms.

12. The Pink Ninja says:

Designers of Fantasy games should read more fantasy books. There are no shortage of mould breaking ones around.

• The Pink Ninja says:

Hell, more importantly how about they introduce new mechanics and use the old ones better.

Warcraft is a cartoonised Warhammer rip off, but WC3’s Campaign was still great fun in terms of both the plot and what it got you to do.

• yhancik says:

Or maybe games designers in general should read less fantasy books.
      There are no shortage of non-fantasy ones around ;)

• The Pink Ninja says:

Maybe they could make a Bus Driving simulation!

13. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Oh yeah. Point taken. Lousy format to release that info – sentences etc.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

Ignore my inadvertant spammin – bloody internets.

14. Maniac11919 says:

The walking animations are out of sync with their walking speed… Everything looks like it’s on roller skates…

15. Shadrach says:

I use the Third Age Total War mod for M2TW to satisfy my occasional urge for fantasy/Tolkien battles. Honestly it looks a lot better than this, and not as “fantasy” if that makes sense. Huge battles with Ents versus Trolls are just stunning.

16. ChampionHyena says:

God, that fan video was hard to watch. The one on the actual official site is much better. Interest-piquing, even. I might give this a look later.

Oh, yeah. Re: the header graphic.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!

17. Snall says:

What they need to do is make an MMO-RTS version of the old Myth games…

18. Glove says:

Fuck, I love Battles.

19. bill says:

I know these guys are ripping off warcraft, and warcraft ripped off warhammer (which i loved), but to be fair warhammer always totally ripped off everything as well.

In addition to all the tolkein races, they always managed to include a version of whatever was cool in the latest fantasy (though usually with their own twist).
    WH40k was always even worse… aliens (genestealers), terminators, dune, star wars, starship troopers, mechwarrior, etc…

20. We Fly Spitfires says:

Looks pretty interesting. Is it any relation to Warhammer? Those Orcs look very similar…

21. belo says:

This made me want to play Medieval 2 again…

22. asda says:

World of Battles? Seriously? I mean cmon, theres endless possibilities with naming a game, and they go and call it World of Battles..

23. Anna says:

Found this game and downloaded it yesterday, my partner and I have been playing it a lot over this weekend.

It’s a simple, yet strangely addictive play system. Based on infantry units etc (This in itself is an obvious take on the war games (ala Warhammer etc))
    It’s very fun, and mostly the issue at the moment is a lack of active players. – I’d suggest having a friend you can play with untill theres a more consistent playerbase, though during the day in Europe it doesent seem so bad.
    Animations and graphics are pretty nice – they keep things simple in order to allow the number of units, but this isent really an issue due to the way the camera is generaly used (However, the camera needs serious work, it’s an annoying rail and gets on my nerves, especialy when first playing)
    It’s very satisfying collecting up your army and deploying them well, and it’s really very fun when you get a lot of people in one game.

It lacks longevity as there is no custom map function (as far as I’m aware?) which is what kept Warcraft going.

I like that it’s not as cartoony, and that there is a good sense of humor about the place. – It is more a game for stratigists than people who just want to spam units, they don’t do so well.
    At the moment still very buggy, keeps crashing. But it is supposedly beta.

As to the rip off factor… At least it isent another fekin’ MMO-RPG, where it’s click monster, kill monster, click monster… ad nausium. The graphics are very warhammery, but I don’t really care much for thier company, who’s policys remind me a little of a certain author, who like to pretend they invented the wheel while kicking thier player base, workers and fans alike for daring to pay any homage.
    What is warhammery, is also very Lotr-sy, etc.
    I would really like to see less games with Orcs and Elves, but at least this has Amazons and Barbarians too.
    (Hell, people constantly pointing out how everything looks like Warhammer is starting to get a bit unoriginal too… Even when it is true, either you know Warhammer and can blatently tell that theres a bit of rip off going on, or you don’t, in which case the assumption either way is a bit lost on you!)