The Three Musketeers RPG: One For All?

By Kieron Gillen on October 16th, 2009 at 5:20 pm.

And now for some cheese on toast.

A Three Musketeer RPG? You have to admit, it’s a classic set-up for a Party-based RPG. This recently-released Indie RPG puts you as d’Artagnan and sets you off on adventures, following the actual plot of the novels. Which means, I’d imagine, that there’s not many twists for those who read it and/or watched Dogtanian and the Thee Muskehounds. Anyway – you can download the demo from here, order the full version here and watch its footage below…

I actually think more period-inspired RPGs is a fantastic idea. I’ll try and have a crack at this over the weekend and see what I make of it.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jsutcliffe says:

“Following the actual plot of the novels?” Sheez, I’m not looking forward to the XX Years After sections, then. I wonder how they’ll sandwich any gameplay into the tedium.

On the other hand, more period RPGs would be wonderful.

2. Stony says:

This game has reminded me of Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, and now I can’t get the theme song out of my head. Thanks RPS!

One for all and all for one, muskehounds are always ready…

• Flint says:

I can never read the words ‘The Three Musketeers’ without my brain wanting to ‘correct’ it as Muskehounds.

Dogtanian rules.

• JonFitt says:

One for all and all for one
      Muskehounds are always ready.
      One for all and all for one
      Helping everybody
      One for all and all for one
      It’s a pretty story
      Sharing everything with fun
      That’s the way to be.

• frymaster says:

oh great, guess what I now have stuck in my head… :D

• Okami says:

You shouldn’t have mentioned it. Now I had to go to youtube and search for the show’s intro music. It’ll be days until I get that tune out of my head…

On a side note: I’d totally work on a Muskehounds game. Who’s with me?

• James G says:

The Dogtanian theme tune is one of the most persistent earworms of all time. It’ll be days before it’s fully purged.

The really odd thing about catching the Dogtanian theme on YouTube now is 1) realising quite how long it it, 2) suddenly realising the Dogtanian was animé. I’m not sure how much animé was on TV when I was little, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t identified as such. As a result, part of me had assumed that it was a fairly recent visitor to these shores.

• GibletHead2000 says:

James, did you never watch Ulysses 31 (best theme song of all time), or Mysterious Cities of Gold?

• Schadenfreude says:

There were a load of European cartoon studios who outsourced their animation to Japan back in the day. Dogtanion, Ulysses 31, Mysterious Cities of Gold; never mind all the American cartoons who were doing it.

Have to dig up Ulysses again. For a show featuring Jesus with a Lightsabre it was bleak.

• Schadenfreude says:

Forum related double posting: That video plugin seems to be breaking any post with more than one youtube link.

• BigJonno says:

Dogtanian was awesome and I absolutely love Ulysess 31. My wife bought me the complete series on DVD a couple of years ago and it’s one of the few 80s cartoons that still holds up today. It’s nice to see that the blue-skinned dudes enjoyed musical success as Daft Punk. ;)

James G says:

Actually, no. I’ve heard about them subsequently, and from people the same age as me, but I can’t even remember noticing them at the time. Not entirely sure how I managed that, its not like we had huge numbers of channels to choose from.

• terry says:

Mysterious Cities of Gold had a catchier themetune :—–)

3. Brass Gerbil says:

Aaaal-mond Joy’s got nuts…

4. jti says:

Uhhhh, bloody muskethounds and their catchy tunes…

5. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Strange…..at first I was reading it as “The Three Musketeers MMORPG: One For All?
    I was wonder if you have to get 2 more players to start a group or if you are supplied with NPCs when necessary…now THAT would be fun; 3 musketeers all over the place…over and over

6. PleasingFungus says:

Okay.

There was a tennis minigame in that trailer.

That is uniquely magical.

7. ZIGS says:

This game is strangely addicting

8. Ferrous Buller says:

Between this and Dante’s Inferno, clearly videogames based on literature are on the rise! I look forward to “Beckett’s ‘Waiting for Godot:’ The Hidden Object Game,” where the goal is NOT to find anything at all.

9. GibletHead2000 says:

James, did you never watch Mysterious Cities of Gold, or Ulysses 2138?

10. Ace says:

It should have multiplayer; it would make for a fun LAN game.

11. ZIGS says:

Strange, I just finished the demo and I’m compelled to buy it

12. Kamos says:

I agree.

Also, why is this considered RPG? It’s completely linear.

13. Kamos says:

I agree.

Also, why is this called a RPG?

14. Paul S. says:

“RPG” has become a very broad church. It just is, I suppose. Why is Diablo considered an RPG, or Final Fantasy? Maybe because “clickyfight game” doesn’t have the same aura of respectability.

15. bill says:

@James: Battle of the Planets!!!!

Actually, that’s about it. I also never even knew about “anime” at the time, but it’s interesting that even at that age i could tell that these were the BEST cartoons – even if i was too young to analyse why.
    Strangely, Dogtanian, Willy Fogg, Ulysses, Mysterious cities of gold, etc… were all joint Japanese/French co productions, but are totally unknown in Japan.

Battle of the planets on the other hand was an americanised bastardisation of a very popular japanese anime… but of course they cut out all the sex, violence, deaths, transexuals and brain cancer.

16. Scott says:

@Kamos and Paul S., I’m fairly certain it’s not entirely linear. I was able to alter one big detail from the book so far: d’Artagnan managed to convince the three musketeers not to join in the burning of the hotel the cardinal’s guards holed up in. I’m almost certain that they do join in the burning in the book. So yeah, I played a little role there.

17. DerpDurr says:

Halo is the bestest RPG evar because you play the role of Master Chief who is a complete badass.

18. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Just played through the demo..and I’m getting it! It’s so lovely…It reminds me of the olden times of Ultima…

19. Pod says:

I played this. I quite liked it, even though it appeared to be “go there, do this”. You could switch quests (avenge the death of a guard you’ve only just met?), but it still seems intent on making you do certain things in certain orders.

Also: d’Artagnan appears to be a complete theif – he wanders nto people’s houses and rifles through their own chests! Yet he will happily fight them for the same thing. Tsk.

I liked it, but it’s not worth £16 I don’t feel. I mean, I couldn’t even /run/ :)

20. Pod says:

additionally, I had to replace homely.ogg with one of the other ones — a 3 seconds viola riff was driving me mad.

21. raigan says:

hm.. I thought I had already commented on this, but anyway: how can this be considered “recently-released” when it’s been out for months? Just sayin.

22. Dingo Games says:

Hello, I’m the developer of the game… I didn’t realize Dogtanian was so popular, maybe I should have licensed the rights to that…

Check this out, I found it on a Dogtanian fan group. They called it the worst rendition of the Muskehounds ever: Muskehounds in Russian

That might help you get the Dogtanian theme out of your head.

23. LewieP says:

Does this game feature a way of using a suit of armour as a puppet, and attacking people with it (preferably making them fall into their own traps)?

24. mr.ghoul says:

Still no crack? =(

25. Railick says:

I got a chance to download and play the demo last night. I must same this game is fantastic! It reminds me a lot of Ultima as others have said but only in the looks, the combat is totally unique to me.

I do love that your character seems to want to kill anyone who says anything even slightly cross about him or his horse which he doesn't even like. He steals, murders, and insults people at the drop of a hat (With a feather in it) I'm guessing this matches the character in the books some how when he was younger, I have no idea really :)

The game play was very addictive and action filled which I enjoyed. I should note that someone above said it was possible to alter events at the point where they were going to burn down the cardinal's guard's building. Even if you agree to burn it down one of the others stops the rest of you so at that point at least there is no way to burn down that building. (Maybe it happens latter?)

26. dahaka says:

can u make a crack for this, or any solution that we can play it longer than 60 min?

27. dahaka says:

man, wtf.. it’s been 2 fucking weeks, and u are sleeping…