Harry Cannon’s Pipe Dreams, Plus Song!

By John Walker on October 21st, 2009 at 11:18 pm.

Harry's the one of the left, in front.

It was weeks ago that Henrik Nåmark contacted me to tell me he’d made another song for an indie game, and because I’m a colossal idiot I’ve only just gotten around to telling you about it. Nåmark is responsible for one of our all-time favourite game songs, You Have To Burn The Rope. Later he released a song and video called Reload Press Play, which was also fantastic. His most recent audible appearance is on the compellingly silly Harry Cannon’s Pipe Dreams.

The game may well be an advert for another game, but dammit it’s just about ideal. It’s a single button webgame in which you guide a fly through jaggedy corridors, avoiding obstacles and the walls lest you splat him to death. Your only interaction is to boost him upward, letting gravity take care of down and the game provide forward. Of course there’s a lot of single button games on this theme, but somewhere between the simplicity and superb feel of control it really nails it for me. Accompanying Nåmark’s song as a soundtrack is me sucking through my teeth in surprise at evading a splat, and then laughing out loud at my latest failed attempt.

The song, unsurprisingly, is fantastic. It’s a relaxed, moody guitar piece, accompanied by some lovely percussion and even backing singers (who are possibly Nåmark too), telling the story of a man, Harry Cannon, and his karmic reincarnation as a fly. You can find out more at Nåmark’s blog, and download the song from here.

The game it’s advertising is the awesomely named Dirk Dagger and the Nuclear Zeppelin, which is released for N-Gage. My history books inform me that the N-Gage was something that existed until the iPhone was released, and then was never heard of again.

Here’s Nåmark’s showreel – everyone should give him money and jobs.

And yes, I’m immediately finding out about the fourth game in that reel.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. PleasingFungus says:

…the clip of the fourth game, there, made my day.

Report back immediately, Mr. Walker! Readers need to know.

2. malkav11 says:

Oh, the N-Gage dropped off the face of the earth long before the iPhone came out. It was just such a stupendously bad idea it was really quite frightening that one or two interesting things were released for it.

3. Στέλιος says:

This is for the successor to the N-Gage device, the N-Gage service which runs on a variety of S60-powered Nokia phones.

I did mess round with the prior Dirk Dagger, was somewhat enjoyable but Secret of Monkey Island on ScummVM is still better (predictably).

ordteapot says:

Dance Dance Dance / Dance Viking / Fourth Game makes me giggle when the advanced physics features are turned on.

5. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

Vikings… in the future?!

That is definitely a combination of words that should be used more often.

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

this is awesome, and wrt ngage, expect it to get an attempted re-re-jigging when meamo properly succeeds symbian, maemo is one to watch as it does everything android got right and nothing it got wrong.

7. Al says:

The original N-gage was the hideous taco-shaped thing, that you had to hold side-on to make a call.

That wasn’t the worst bit- to change game cartridge (for it was cartridge based) you had to open the phone casing and remove the battery. Awful design.

8. Psychopomp says:

I want to play that fourth game :(

9. Henrik Nåmark says:

You wanna dance? With vikings…in the future???? You must be crazy. But if you don’t mind that then try this link:

10. MrSnoobs says:

11. MrSnoobs says:

Oh poopy mc Fartsticks, my link didn’t work. Never mind – it was basically that the game is 6Mb from the link from dear Henry himself and it is every kind of awesome. Every kind. Not since that game from a few years ago where the physics enabled block figures beat each-other in to a quivering pulp (I frustratingly cannot remember the title but it was for a competition for getting the game under 8K or something) did I laugh so much at a game for so long.