Metro: 2033, Official Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on October 22nd, 2009 at 12:04 pm.

We’ve been following this Ukrainian shooter since the first footage appeared a couple of years ago. Metro 2033 appears to be what THQ did after the split with GSC, and it has the same dark-future apocalypse vibes as Stalker. This time it’s set in a Moscow ravaged by monsters, with the survivors of the apocalypse hiding in the Russian capital’s epic metro system. It’s got a strong “Russian Fallout” whiff to it, which echoes what a 1c boss said to me last year about their love of the game. THQ’s blurb reads: “You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised Underground. Having never ventured beyond your Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat. Your journey takes you from the forgotten catacombs beneath the subway to the desolate wastelands above, where your actions will determine the fate of mankind.” Anyway, go take a look, this is very promising.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Metal_circus says:

• Jochen Scheisse says:

I think they do looks very god, and the fact that major western productions exhaust themselves with boring sequels and the concept of the week does help.

• Subject 706 says:

Russian devs certainly don’t seem to get acute angst from making games challenging, complex and original, unlike most western devs.

• Tei says:

“Western” devs are into corporate culture, and a different view. If else, western devs are needed because add variety. I would love to say the same to the asia game culture, but is like a separate thing :-/

2. Rob says:

Oooooh yeaaaaa, this is that pretty looking game i heard about once.

3. Metal_circus says:

Wow. That looks very nice. Games from the east are really something of late. I do wonder if this will be as buggy as stalker, but then again it looks fairly high-budget for a Ukranian game.

4. Heliosicle says:

Looks like stalker, but more lively, and more human? (ish)

Looks awesome..

also, they reused sound from the original stalker! (the guy going “have a safe trip”)

5. Turin Turambar says:

THQ again? Ohh, they came back to their old publisher, after the problems in Stalker development.

6. toni says:

1) it’s an ukranian game. there is a difference. not only in the language, the country is also located somewhere else than (although near to) russia
    2) the “east” is still developing games for different demographics and PC is still the biggest market there, so they do develop games instead of disappointing, sloppy shadows of games aimed at everbody.

7. CMaster says:

Looks a lot like STALKER in style. Here’s hoping it plays somewhat differently.

8. Zerotime says:

I was going to be all “more like Hellgate: Moscow, amirite?”, and then I watched the trailer and it looked pretty awesome.

9. Prankster says:

I quite liked the openish style of Stalker, hoping for more of the same just with better polish on release.

Grey Cap says:

Does anybody know whether its a straight shooter? It looks like it could turn out kind of boring without RPG elements. More importantly, is the world “open” (as in, roamable)?

11. c-Row says:

Hellgate: Moscow ?

12. The Sombrero Kid says:

i don’t think it looks like stalker at all tbh, more like hellgate although it’s hard to tell from such a short clip.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“i don’t think it looks like stalker at all”

The main image is of people sat in a gloomy place watching someone play guitar.

• diebroken says:

Since STALKER, any FPS/FPP game that features an acoustic guitar gets my interest! =P

13. underproseductor says:

Games like these have a soul. And yes, we are still loyal to the PC here in East.

14. Heliocentric says:

They have my attention. I wonder if they are going to allow you to drive a subway train at any point, that would be a nice way to splat a big enemy.

15. Sensor-i says:

“Looks fantastic. Is it me or are Russian games just very very good at the moment?”

It’s Ukrainian game, just like Stalker.

Grey Cap says:

Jim Rossignol: Yes, but can you loot their corpses for tinned foods? It ain't Stalker without a pile of corned beef in your backpack!
    Edit: Russian or Ukranian makes little difference to us- we don't speak the language! Anyway, it seems that eastern developers in general are more fun than western ones. Plus, all eastern games seem to take a long time to be released in English. Generalizations are in order, I feel.

Will rant for food.

17. Bhazor says:

Any word on genre yet?

After the S.T.A.L.K.E.R labs and the opening sequence from Vault 101 I’m kind of looking forward to a fully linear game with the same “Apocalypse Then” feel. A better done Cryostasis would go down a treat with me.

18. Heliocentric says:

There should be a stalker mod which models malnutrition.

Much <3 for ex soviet bloc development, they have no fear of being confusing, unbalanced or difficult and a rampantly more exciting for it.

19. Kem0sabe says:

Eastern European developers have good ideas and concepts, but the execution is often flawed. I dont think i have played an Eastern European game without massive amounts of bugs, with the possible exception of Kings Bounty.

Games like The Witcher, Stalker, Operation Flashpoint 1, Arma 1&2… all of them flawed in their execution and trying my patience regarding patches….

20. Darkelp says:

I was very interested in this when it was first announced, this trailer has piqued my interest again.

21. phil says:

The Fallouts, though gloomy as hell for a majority of time, did occasionally get a bit goofy (especially Mothership Zeta and any of the easter eggs, fun as they were.) If this is sorta Fallout with the jet black soul crushing horror restored, it can only be a good thing.

• DarkFenix says:

That’s basically what I’m hoping for in terms of the environment. Fallout 3, but actually a dark and terrifying place. The Fallout series in general was pretty tame in terms of the environment, it was generally a happy, sunny place with little threat to it. It lacked atmosphere is what I think I’m getting at.

22. Lord_Mordja says:

Oh cool, I thought this had died forever ago. Looks great.

23. westyfield says:

I say! That looks rather good, I especially like the areas with lots of refugees milling around, looks crowded but fun.

24. Lobotomist says:

COOL!

We need more Russian games! Great developers!

Okami says:

Go East!

26. espy says:

Oh wow. Very nice, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on that. Also: I’m a complete sucker for english spoken with a rrrrussian accent. Or maybe I’m just sick of the ubiquity of american english regardless of setting or context. Anyway: Metro! Yay!

27. largejaroalmonds says:

I’m all for it as long as the translation is decent. Nothing breaks my sense of immersion faster (looking at you, Space Rangers 2).

• Smithee says:

I never found the terrible translation in SR2 particularly immersion breaking, mostly because the game was already so batshit insane that that the additional weirdness of bad translation actually added to the experience. Also, according to this clearly tongue-in-cheek reference in the manual, the translation’s not a bug, it’s a feature:

“Additionally, you may find that the language used, although it appears to be English, slightly odd. Again, don’t worry as in 2300 it was modified by non-Earth races to make it easier for their translation software to convert. “

28. Dracko says:

That’s a good opening, if playable.

29. Nemolom says:

I like it. “In my experience “The east” is often brilliant when it comes to the underlying technical aspect of games (probably some of the world’s best coders) – they’re different and often daring. They’ve got charm, soul, creativity and give you worlds that feel convincing. What they generally need more of it is better testing. Let’s hope they’re willing to spend the time it takes to make this as bug free as possible.

30. Metal_circus says:

Apologies for the double post earlier, my browser spazzed up. Just looking at the main image above and it does seem hauntingly beautiful, in a dark apocalyptic way. Trailers rarely excited but I am for this.

31. Monkeybreadman says:

An eastern european game without terrible voice acting? This cannot fail

From their website, looks like they’ve made the engine themselves, the 4A-Engine. That is either a) Good or b) Bad

32. ZIGS says:

Finally more news about this. I actually thought this was dead.

33. Pamplemousse says:

It does look rather good but like most russian games it will play pretty woefully.

I can imagine it will be plagued by bugs and poor translations.

But I do really want to be proved wrong.

34. linfosoma says:

Oh lord, I want this bad.

Russia, you rock!

35. tibbles says:

are these eastern european devs making games aimed at east (or russian) markets? or is it just that they happen to be there?

36. postx says:

Eastern promises these days, and I love the gun at the end.

37. Fenchurch says:

I reaaaally like the suggestion that in some areas you have to be careful about using a gas mask/oxygen supply then /timing/ yourself so you don’t overexpose or run out of oxygen.

More games like this please!

38. Alaric says:

Am I the only person here who thinks that games produces by the former USSR suck? In my opinion their ideas are wonderful but the implementation is always beneath what is acceptable. I thought Stalker sucked, even though I love the original novel. Same for that other game, the name of which escapes me, about a city in a steppe, dying of disease perpetuated by slaughterhouses. Brilliant idea yet poor execution. I could go on but you get the point.

It feels like the amount of creativity, storytelling talent, and willingness to take risk is much higher what what we see in the West. At the same time while the technical know-how may also be on the level, the ability to think through, polish, and finish is severely lacking, IMO.

• Taillefer says:

Is that a rhetorical question?

• Tim James says:

This region is around a decade behind the West. That’s why they’re still producing games for these old genres that we love but haven’t quite polished them up well yet. Maybe they’ll reach a peak in a few years and then begin the steady descent into AAA console garbage.

• K says:

“The West” have produced some of the buggiest games in recent memory.
      The difference is, bugs from the East seemed to be caused through ambition and pushing the limits. Bugs in Western games are from laziness or just complete lack of care.
      /Generalisation

• Alaric says:

@K – The bugs in any code are caused by poor design and poor testing, i.e. people not doing their job or people being unqualified to do the job they were hired for. It has nothing to do with either ambition or lack of care.

• Gap Gen says:

I dunno, you’re always going to get bugs in code, even if it’s well designed and so on. Software design is about minimising bugs, not about eliminating them entirely. I think part of the thing about ambition is that it’s easier to fix a simple program than it is to fix a complicated one – so STALKER would have been easier to debug if it had been a linear shooter, I suspect.

Wisq says:

There’s also publisher- and/or budget-imposed scheduling to consider.

I wonder how many ultra-buggy western releases exist because a publisher demanded they get the game out by Christmas, or ultra-buggy eastern releases because the studio just ran out of money and needed to sell first, patch later. As compared to vice versa, that is.

• K says:

@Alric
      But they’re working within budget and time constraints. An ambitious design could take much longer and so is untested and unpolished because the publisher is wanting to get it out of the door. So I attribute this to the ambition of the design causing the bugs. And certainly not because all Eastern Europeans are unqualified and incapable of programming. Post-release support and community interaction is often exceptional too.

My opinion, however, is biased. Not for Eastern Europe, but for the more niche appeal games. And I’m conscious of being more lenient towards them than AAA titles, which had the budget to test the game properly. So I often talk nonsense.

39. JKjoker says:

Looks great, i loved almost everything about STALKER and anything following its steps interests me, i hope they add RPG elements tho, STALKER suffered by the inability to develop your character (artifacts were a real letdown)

40. Steerpike says:

Excellent trailer; very good voice acting in the narration, too. I’m wondering, though – will this be a STALKERish RPG shooter, or more of a straight-up shooter? Given the mention of Fallout 3, I’m guessing it’s the latter, but who am I kidding, I’ll be buying the thing anyway.

Eastern Europe is turning into a creative powerhouse of game development. We’re seeing things that are both innovative and incredibly deep from them. Also somewhat nihilistic. Painkiller, STALKER, Cryostasis, etc etc etc…

I’d forgotten about this one. Thanks Jim!

41. Po0py says:

Stalker: Shadow of the Metro.

# Brave the darkness of the tunnels, where mutants hunt their prey and ghostly spirits lurk.
    # Explore the desolate city-surface, trusting your gas mask and rifle to protect you from a poisoned world and the creatures that roam there.

Sounds a lot like stalker to me.

Given that there are still Stalker games being made, I hope they take a different direction with the structure of the game and the gameplay itself. A game that is too similar to Stalker will harm it’s success, imho.

42. Sparvy says:

Its interesting too see all these former Eastern block games featuring nuclear apocalypse, I suppose you never really saw their side of things (you know, the normal people in USSR) during the Cold War, and now all of a sudden there is an explosion of stuff.

• linfosoma says:

Interesting perspective.

• sfury says:

Well we really had some kind of apocalypse here, moving from communism to free market shook things up well, so you can find lost of abandoned things (not only buildings and items but a whole system of values) laying around that seem from a different era though they are from the not so distant past.

You can see why such setting lends itself easily to other apocalyptic scenarios like nuclear for example.

• sfury says:

Also Russia has twice the territory of the US and twice less population, Ukraine also has small population density and is the biggest country in Europe – I bet you could drive 20-30 kms out of any town and feel like you are absolutely alone in this vast territory – great post-apocalyptic setting.

43. DuBBle says:

I heard a stargate towards the end of that clip.

44. DMJ says:

So is Russia just so happy and full of light and fluffiness that the only way they can keep themselves sane is to create such gloriously dismal virtual worlds to spend leisure time in?

• Lack_26 says:

Didn’t you hear, the old-Soviet block is a capitalist paradise now, they’re are lots of free-market bunnies hoping about and the only snow is swarming with children building Snow-men and laughing. Oh yeah, and the every evening everyone gets together and sings the sun to bed.

My actual experience of eastern-Europe, cold, wet and brilliant.

• DMJ says:

God bless capitalism.

45. MadTinkerer says:

I once thought of a post-apocalyptic game set in London where the surface was wrecked (though all of the wrecked buildings are based on the real buildings there now) and most decent folks have to live in the Underground because it’s safer. Basically like Hellgate without the demons and basing the combat-filled areas on the actual geography of London.

But Moscow isn’t a bad setting either.

46. Zerotime says:

Wait, I just thought of another one – La Jetée: The RPG!

• Thants says:

That’s one game where you don’t have to worry about a low FPS.

47. Isometric says:

Oh brilliant a new trailer!
    Paint me excited.

48. terry says:

Are subway stations the new sewers?

49. suibhne says:

I’m not sure how to define it, but there seems to be a common mood among some of the Eastern games I’ve really enjoyed. Even Cryostasis had it, despite some punishingly-bland gameplay. I’d take a setting like that over the typical U.S. gameworld any day of the week. That trailer is certainly enough to pique my interest.

Still waiting for Call of Pripyat, tho. What the heck is up with that?