Drunk & Disdwarvely: New Dragon Age Trailer

By John Walker on October 23rd, 2009 at 8:14 pm.

Dwarves have a fine eye for architecture.

First of all, I’m very sorry for the headline. Moving on. The Dragon Age trailers, they will not stop. The latest is the reveal of the Dwarven potential party member Oghren, a fighter who can join your gang. As you’ll see in the trailer below, he’s brash, rude, and partial to the odd drink or seven, and at odds with the political state of his home city of Orzammar.

The Dwarven story is enormous, and intricately detailed. Forgive me plugging myself, but you can read details of it in the new PC Gamer (OUT TODAY! BUY NOW!). It’s a fascinating approach to the culture, and you can grab hints of it in the trailer. Which is rather better than many before it. And rather smartly he talks all over the Marylin Manson bit.

, , .

1. Savage Designer says:

Video doesn’t work.

• Vinraith says:

Does someone have adblock turned on? It works fine for me.

DarkNoghri says:

It locked up after the Kia ad for me. I refreshed the page, and it was fine.

• Whiskey Jak says:

What DarkNoghri said, you have to refresh after the ad and only then does the video work.

• Torgen says:

I’m getting an ad for Thai cooking ingredients, and even after refreshing the page, ONLY get the ad, and no video. Tried four times so far.

• Taillefer says:

What ads? Mine goes straight to the trailer… Hmm.

• Devan says:

I’ve got the same problem. It won’t proceed past the ad, no matter how many times I refresh.

• Markoff Chaney says:

Hrmm. Even with noscript and ABP (still the only site I allow ads on. Love you guys!) completely disabled I’m getting no video, other than ads that is. vindicoasset.edgesuite.net keeps trying to move data but I don’t think it’s getting from there to here. :( Usually no issues with the videos though, so it could just be how this one’s hosted.

I second the love on Dragon Age: Journeys. I’d love to get PC Gamer UK here in the states. Will they mail it over the pond, do you know?

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Yes it does.

3. 1stGear says:

RPG Character Cliches:

Character that loves fighting and is sick of all that political and subtlety business. Will demand your party take the most destructive or violent route possible, even if advised against it.

Check.

• Psychopomp says:

Said character almost never fails to be awesome?

Check

• Ben L. says:

I guess somebody WAS being cheeky when they picked “This Is The New Shit”

• K says:

Surely the more obvious cliché is that he’s a drunken dwarf, with red hair and fabulous beard?

• Klaus says:

I need those characters. I can only take so much charisma, savvy, and charm before I want to brain them and leave them in a ditch.

• Tei says:

Are you guys talking about Neverwinter 2?

• Stabby says:

GO FOR THE EYES, BOO

• phil says:

To be fair Minsc wasn’t an alcoholic, just stupid enough to act like one all the time.

4. Lobotomist says:

Classic. I love the cliche fantasy characters ( not being sarcastic). If something works good why change it ?

By the way – play Dragon age Journeys -GREAT

• Ben L. says:

It isn’t working that good,at least not from what EA and Bioware are showing us. And I recall Bioware going on about an “original” setting. What we have though are the same old tired Bioware cliches we’ve been fed for a decade copypasted into a new game. Here’s hoping the mechanics have some depth at least.

5. Jahkaivah says:

Oh look it’s Ironforge….

Yeah I’ll never forgive that place.

6. Fritzy says:

Video doesn’t work for me either. Won’t play after the ad.

7. Uncontested says:

Im just getting advertisements.. And then the video never starts after.. tried firefox and internet explorer both same thing..

8. Legionary says:

Oh dear. I trust John’s review of Dragon Age, so this must be another trailer that makes the game seem poor. Looks like there’s no directional lighting or any kind of shadows on the characters, plus the dwarf is copy-pasted from a thousand other RPGs. NWN2 had a character almost exactly the same as this, albeit that he wasn’t fighting to protect his ancestors and had deserted them.

• Jimbo says:

They shoulda gone for a Dwarf with an inferiority complex about his sub-standard fighting prowess, a low alcohol tolerance and a rubbish bum fluff moustache. He could be really good at algebra though.

Or they could just use Gimli/Khelgar/ThatGuyFromJadeEmpire again. Whatever.

• MaxFrost says:

haha, I’m so going to do this with my next DnD character.

• Catastrophe says:

rofl Jimbo, thats genius, please tell me you’re writing a fantasy novel.

• Jochen Scheisse says:

Haha, that reminds me of the Fantasy World a friend of mine invented at age 13, it was pretty normal except for elves being small, fat and bearded, and dwarves being tall, pointy-eared and beautiful.

9. Uncontested says:

can someone post a link to another place this video is hosted? its not on biowares site

10. underproseductor says:

This “mature” and “violent” game looks just silly.

• Deuteronomy says:

Tons better than the awful TF2 “meet the . . .” videos but that isn’t saying much. Seriously both EA and Microsoft need better marketing departments.

• Psychopomp says:

“awful TF2 “meet the . . .” videos. ”

You have *got* to be joking.

11. Eric says:

Here’s the YouTube link for the video:

12. Taillefer says:

All the character trailers are here: http://dragonage.bioware.com/characters/
    Uhm, on Bioware’s site.

13. Railick says:

They should put ME in a video game. A blood thirsty demon dwarf who is constantly reincarnated upon the material plane by his dark Blood God in order to continue the spilling of innocent and non-innocent blood across the lands ect and so forth. You don't see that in many/any video games now do you? click my link and suffer my horrible webpage if you want to read the story I'm referring to ;P

14. Cvnk says:

Yeah, I guess this confirms that Dragon Age is Mass Effect in fantasy duds. Oh well. I’m sure there will be other games coming out I can look forward to.

• Vinraith says:

Not even slightly. Hell, the mod tools alone are more than enough to put this leagues ahead of Mass Effect.

• Psychopomp says:

Rambunctious alcoholic dwarf=fantasy Mass Effect?

*Did you even play Mass Effect?*

15. Magnus says:

Hmm… A lot like Khelgar (NWN2) only… worse?

Not thrilled by this character at all. In fact, none of the characters have made an impact so far.

One of the advantages of Baldur’s Gate was that you didn’t have to bring any of the characters you met along with you, and there were plenty to choose from.

These days with full voice “acting” and all the other frivolities, you just can’t get the same level of choice.

• 1stGear says:

The thing with Khelgar is that his whole personal quest revolved around convincing him his Violence First world-view was wrong. I doubt Bioware is willing to do something that deviates even slightly from the mold.

I think Dragon Age is going to end up being a standard Bioware RPG. Good, but not amazing. Entertaining, but not original. Sweet but eventually boring candy compared to the flawed, but still tasty meat that studios like Obsidian put out.

16. Railick says:

I miss my space hamster and moon sword.

I can't remember his name off the top of my head but the ranger with the space hamster is one of my favorite RPG characters EVER

• Klaus says:

Minsc

I can only deal with him for so long before shuttling him off some where. I do like Boo… oddly enough.

• Magnus says:

(on casting failure) Minsc: “I turned around to shield Boo and I lost my spell. I am not sorry.”

• Vinraith says:

I killed Minsc so very many times.

Giant space hamsters were always a brilliant idea, and I was pleased to see one turn up in a computer game, but Minsc virtually always attacked me after our first conversation. It may have had something to do with my usually playing cold-blooded bastards in the Baldur’s Gate games, it was just so much fun.

• Tei says:

Go for the eyes boo, go for the eyes!! WAAAA! :)

17. Railick says:

Ah yes, Minsc :)

Was Baldur's Gate voice acted? I know this is a strange question but I remember the voices of the characters in that game. I'm not sure if I'm just remembering the voice I gave them when I read their lines or if they actaully had full voice acting ? (IN my memory I can recall entire lines read aloud with accents and everything, am I going crazy?)

Wait, now that I think about it I KNOW there was at least SOME voice acting. I remember the knights of the flaming fist or something sounding really dorky when they broke in to murder you without mercy.

18. Railick says:

I remember this one making me laugh every time

to his pet hamster Boo, when battle is imminent): Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!!

19. Railick says:

A-a-a-ah!!! Unholy magics are afoot! This chicken is possessed! This bird is FOUL!!!

20. Uncontested says:

Thanks for the link.

Its kind of ironic the begining part of his speech, even today in the real world that is real a problem with soldiers and Marines that have been in combat. Why they always give the dwarf that role ill never understand tho.

21. Railick says:

I think my favorite dwarf in history has got to be the doodad Pikel

22. tapanister says:

Man that dwarf looks lik one of those kids in 80s pg13 action movies. He’s got no chin and the beard looks pasted on. Bioware shuold stop with the cringeworthy in-game cinematics already, you sold us, we’re buying the game, ok, end of story. But don’t push it!

23. Melf_Himself says:

Dwarves are supposed to have like Scottish accents or something, fail.

• Magnus says:

The northern/yorkshire accents of the dwarfs in Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat felt particularly fitting for me.

• Tim says:

• Mr. T says:

AND HUMANS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AMERICANS

AND ELVES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GAY (AND EUROPEAN)

IF YOU AIN’T GONNA DO FNATASY RIGHT YOU AIN’T BRIGHT, FOOL!

DRINK YOUR DRUGS, AVOID SCHOOL, AND DON’T DO MILK.

• Psychopomp says:

“oh yeah, and orcs are supposed to be cockney, those conventions are damn annoying. If not insulting.”

And black zombies are racist too, right?

24. Devan says:

Hm, yeah. Neither the voice nor the hair seem to fit this character. It’s also kind of strange that he introduces himself (“If you’ve heard of me..”) halfway through, and then becomes all chummy (“We’ve been through a lot together now…”).

It’s strange. These party member intro trailers are aiming to achieve essentially the same thing as TF2′s “Meet the..” videos, yet they feel worlds apart.

• Magnus says:

I’ve recently watched the character videos available on the dragon age website, and I have to say, the voice acting is poor throughout.

It just doesn’t feel like you’re listening to the characters on screen, there’s a disconnect between what you see and what you hear, which is a little bit annoying.

• Davie says:

It seems to be a bad case of poor lipsyncing on the characters. Too bad, considering how dialogue-driven Bioware games are.

25. Psychopomp says:

Judge a game for what it is, not what it’s supposed to be, for christs sake.

26. Theblazeuk says:

Aye that was good, but I always ached at the dilemma between changing my party to something less effective but more interesting – unless I have permanent death on my party stays pretty rigid, especially if I’m ‘role playing’ anybody but a capricious prick.

27. Pantsman says:

Ahaha, very nice.

“This human walks into a tavern…hahaha!” I love that that’s the joke.

28. jackflash says:

I broke down and preordered a few days ago, but watching this trailer I think I finally figured out what bothers me about the graphics so much — it’s the lighting. Everything looks terribly washed out and flat, like an MMO from the mid-nineties. It’s like the game missed out on the whole revolution in using shadow effectively. No doubt this is a concession to outdated console hardware. Shame.

• Psychopomp says:

Looked like this before the console version were announced.

It’s just a game that looks very bad graphically.

29. no says:

I press play and nothing happens. If having adblock turned off is required to see it, then I don’t care enough to see it. I’ll find it elsewhere.

• Psychopomp says:

You do realize this site is supported almost solely by ads, right?

30. disperse says:

Where’s the scene where the PC tenderly puts a hand on the shoulder of a shirtless, candlelit, Oghren?

31. Davie says:

GOOD LORD! A dwarf without a Scottish accent! That seems to be one of the few things differentiating the world of DA:O from every other fantasy world ever–The dwarves aren’t tiny drunken Scotsman miners. They’re tiny drunken gravelly-voiced miners.
    Yeah, I’m still on the fence about this game. It looks marginally interesting, and it’s Bioware, which means it can’t be all bad, but the generic fantasy setting and the ugly graphics are definitely a turn-off.

32. gryffinp says:

Ok.

I laughed at the3 joke.

33. dash says:

Im not a graphic whore, but whats with the visuals?
    Character models and lighting/shadows look like crap and fairly outdated.
    Cant believe its from the same devs as mass effect…