Killing Floor: Free Stuff!

By Alec Meer on October 23rd, 2009 at 11:00 am.

Sometimes I feel like all we ever post about is zombie games

Modders-gone-kinda-pro Tripwire Interactive have just released a chunk of free DLC for their popular co-op zombie shooter, Killling Floor. Do you like stuff? Well, it’s got a bunch of stuff in it. More importantly, it’s a pleasing sign of ongoing and generous support for a game that seemed pretty barebones to mine eye upon release. Also, there’s currently a free weekend going on for it, so it’s your chance to take a gander without spending any of your Earthman pennies. Details below. And a question!

These are the contents of the Level Up expansion:

1 new class – Demolitions
1 new level for every class
1 new monster type – the Husk
3 new maps
7 new weapons
1 total conversion mod
20+ Steam Achievements

Which sounds pretty tasty. Now, I didn’t much care for Killing Floor at release (neither did I hate it – it just didn’t grab me), mostly because of its raggedy presentation, but I’m keen to see how it’s evolved over the last few months – especially as Tripwire should have a fair old cashpile to pour into it. The Free Weekend will inevitably go great guns for them, too – and as well as being no-pennies, it’s also a fine chance to experience the game when its servers are absolutely teeming with life. If you like it sufficiently, there’s also a 25% discount on for the duration of the weekend.

Install the temporarily free version like this, or pay for infini-access here. Requires a Steam account in either case.

Oh, that question, then. Anyone here playing Killing Floor? Has it significantly changed/improved since release? There’s also an ongoing thread about it on the forum, in case you want to hook up with other players or share thoughts about which zombies you most fancy.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Darkelp says:

I still play Killing floor, its a good game to play when I get bored of L4D, but still want to shoot up zombies.

I would say it has improved since release, but then I don’t play it enough to notice the minor changes that could throw it out of balance.

2. Mr.Bigglesworth says:

Meh, i prefer to play “Red Orchestra” it’s much more satisfying to pnwd commie bastards rather then Zombies.

3. TotalBiscuit says:

There is literally no good reason not to own this game.

• sana says:

How about “not being rich”?

• TotalBiscuit says:

£11 is so expensive.

• sana says:

It’s like you really do not realize there’s poor people in the world who have better things to spend their money on than buying a new zombie shooter every month.

Must feel nice to still get your allowance from your parents…

• TotalBiscuit says:

I have a job and do not live in a 3rd world country. Sorry that my heart doesn’t bleed for those who do but still seem to think gaming is a viable hobby for them, I guess. Whining that you have to be rich to own a £11 game and then having the nerve to claim that I must be on an allowance is laughably stupid. Adults work 40+ hour weeks so we can afford nice stuff, I don’t have to save my pennies in a piggie bank anymore to afford budget Steam titles.

• sana says:

Oh, fat man, please, this is getting awkward.. since when is heart-bleeding a pre-requisite for being intelligent enough to know of the existence of un-employment, and a pre-requisite for not being ridiculous enough to claim that buying a mediocre indie shooter is a necessity? Your situation must be really enviable if you do not even need to possess that minimum of knowledge and common sense to be successful!

• Alexander Norris says:

Newsflash: the economy is currently in the shitter. It’s nice that you have full-time employment and all that, but that’s hardly the case for everyone.

£11 is a week’s worth of food for one person.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Oh don’t try to drown me in your crocodile tears. You’re the one who threw a wobbly when it was suggested that £11 is not a lot of money by gamer’s standards. Perhaps if you spent less time sperging out of off-the-cuff remarks made on the internet and more time working you wouldn’t have all these financial woes of yours.

If you don’t want to support a good indie shooter that’s been continually supported by an equally good development company with free content then that’s your own business but do me a favour and don’t take your empty pockets out on me, it’s fucking pathetic. Stop gaming if £11 is a big deal to you, please.

• Lilliput King says:

Goodness me. Going around picking fights on a comment board on a Friday afternoon.

Who even does that?

• TotalBiscuit says:

Well I’m on my lunchbreak and I assume Sana is taking a couple of minutes out from feeding starving african orphan amputees with the power of gaming.

• sana says:

Oh, oh! Wait! So video gaming was actually a privilege of the wealthy class all along? I never knew! Now that I’m informed that I am unworthy of entertainment, I shall indeed return to cleaning your mansion and sweeping the gardens. I so sorry massa, will not do again.

You are such a funny man. Not only do you desperately use words like “whining” and “crying” in every second sentence to try and denounce your counterpart, but whatever twisted flight of fancy you had also brought you to the conclusion that I am some sort of advocate of human rights because I disagree with the statement that a grimdark UE2.5 zombie shooter is worth buying.

Since you managed to look like a dork all by yourself with all your rage and imaginary superiority, I do not really need to add any more. If only wealth always came with greatness of character..

• TotalBiscuit says:

Every day, millions of starving gamers post angry comments on videogame blogs. You can help stop this tragedy. For just £2 a month, you can help provide an internet connection and hard-disk space. We can build schools and shelters and pay teachers to instruct gamers in the basics of The Pirate Bay. Please, help us, give just £2 a month to The Starving Gamers Foundation, cheques made payable to Sana.

• sana says:

I must admit that all those analogies to starving African children are pretty hilarious, though. Not all is lost on you!

• CMaster says:

You know, it’s not necessarily that £11 itself is too much to ask. Merely that people living on a budget and trying to game can’t just grab this, that and the other just because it’s “cheap”. Instead they save what money they have to spare on game for things they are genuinely interested in.

Seriously, if we all went around buying every £10 indie title that comes out, it would add up to quite a lot. Your argument that “it’s only £11 therefore it is sensible to buy it” is in fact, highly insensible. Purchases are made on the basis of value to the individual rather than just because they are abstractly “cheap”.

• Lilliput King says:

I think you’re looking at his statement the wrong way.

It wasn’t an argument designed to convince anyone. It was simply an endorsement, a statement of opinion. He’s not really suggesting everyone buys it, rather that he thought it was a worthy purchase. It was an innocent enough comment, which has only drawn such rage because someone posted a fairly ludicrous reaction, obviously spoiling for a fight.

It may be what he said, but it’s not always correct to draw the most obvious conclusion. For example, “I drove to Heathrow, then flew to New York” doesnt suggest I can actually fly.

• Pamplemousse says:

It’s not ridiculously expensive and provides quite fun game play.

Do you realise how many people will go out and buy COD MW 2 at the £40-£50 asking price, even though we have rising unemployment and various troubles in our economy?

Supporting a small indie company allowing them to feed and clothe themselves (and their families) seems to be a decent cause – plus giving money to them actually allows them to keep creating games.

• Spd from Russia says:

how about ‘being bored with coop-vs-horde-mee-too`s

• Dominic White says:

Left 4 Dead is the me-too here. Valve have admitted that the original mod version of Killing Floor was one of their main inspirations, and some of the enemy designs (like the Bloat) were almost direct copies.

This is supporting the original.

• Dave says:

This thread delivers.

• psyk says:

11 quid isn’t that much it used to be easy to beg that much as a kid the old “I need a pound for the train or im stuck here” worked extremely well.

• Gotem says:

Weel, the problem with gaming in 3d world countries and gaming is mostly that the games cost about $70 USD retail after all the taxes and middle men. $15 USD is fine.
      not that I’ll buy it anyway, from what I’ve seen for a first play

• Comment system, what comment system? says:

Cool story bro.

• Alexander Norris says:

“Third-world countries?” Try Europe.

• Wulf says:

It’s one thing to be irritating (and I know I can be), but it’s another thing to be irritating because of a blunt lack of ethics and a good, rolling belly chuckle accompanying support of the class system, just because Mr. Deep Pockets is doing better than everyone else.

Oh, well done, Sir.

TotalBiscuit is now off my Christmas Card list. Not that he was ever on it, but that’s besides the point! I’ll put him on my Christmas Card list just to take him of it!

The fact of the matter is that some people (not every person, I must stress) need to pick what they spend their leisure time moneys on very carefully. What our good scoffs-at-the-unwashed-masses poster is suggesting here is that everyone can afford to buy everything that falls within a margin that he, personally, finds agreeable. I’m sorry, but that’s idiocy. It is, you know, plain and simple.

What might be a comfortable margin for him might not be a comfortable margin for someone else, and a throaway £11 for him might be a saved £11 for someone else toward a game they really want, because they’re out of work, for whatever reason, or because they can’t work, again, for whatever reason.

What we have here, dear readers, is a person who’s so clearly well off he’s never had to walk a mile in even one other person’s shoes, and that makes for a very shallow person who can’t see the World outside of his own immediate concerns.

• Vinraith says:

A lack of interest in shooters, a lack of interest in zombie games, a lack of interest in games that are only at their best when played with larger groups of people than are available from ones pool of gaming friends, any of these seem sensible reasons not to own it to me.

• Psychopomp says:

“Oh, oh! Wait! So video gaming was actually a privilege of the wealthy class all along?”

That appears to be what *you’re* getting at, yes.

You’re taking all this far too personally, calm the fuck down.

• sana says:

You’re half a day too late to calm anybody down, dearie.

• Jambe says:

To clarify, “this specific £11 game is worth buying” != “every £11 game is worth buying”.

The man thinks Killing Floor is worth £11 of his discretionary income; that’s the full extent of his declarations. He didn’t say anything about other £11 games or about his other game purchases. Why it was necessary for some of you to burn him in effigy as the Demon of Capitalism is beyond me. Oh wait, no it’s not – this is The Internet.

• Railick says:

This is the worst/best subthread ever.

I agree with Total Biscut I decided to buy this game instead of giving 15 dollars to chairty because it wasn’t senisble to provide someone with 2 weeks worth of food when I could instead get a game.

• sana says:

Where did anybody involve charities in the argument again? What are you even talking about?
      It’s like every addition to the RPS Commenter Defense Squad adds a new layer of confusion…

• Railick says:

I don’t even know what I’m talking about I’ve really suffering from a lack of food and sleep because I’ve been up late playing Kings Bounty 3 nights in a row.

• Little Green Man says:

Lulz

Also, he can just be referring to himself. Maybe Total Biscuit has no good reason not to purchase this particular game. He could just be posting aloud (Sounds horrible but that’s how it works out).

• Tyshalle says:

It’s like half of you didn’t even read how this argument was started. It wasn’t started because Biscuit was trying to pick a fight; someone else was.

Christ, the Internet is retarded.

• Deuteronomy says:

Sana sounds to me you should be out there looking for a job instead of here commenting on RPS. I lost mine this January, and I spent all my god damn time looking for one till I found one. And I’m doing better than I was before. And I’m spending money on games. The sky isn’t falling, the world isn’t ending. I know this will get me hate, but I truly believe people who are poor in a developed country have something wrong with them. If you have use of your brain there’s no excuse to be sitting there waiting for a handout from your government.

• Psychopomp says:

“I know this will get me hate, but I truly believe people who are poor in a developed country have something wrong with them. ”

<__>
      wat

• Lilliput King says:

@Deuteronomy

“I know this will get me hate, but I truly believe people who are poor in a developed country have something wrong with them. If you have use of your brain there’s no excuse to be sitting there waiting for a handout from your government.”

No hate. Still – Your /main/ fault is connecting being poor with joblessness, and hence wealth with having a job. This is your main fault. Your others include, but are not limited to;

1. Assuming because you were able to find another job, others will always be capable of doing so, in every situation.
      2. Assuming that ‘developed countries’ in general have occupation systems that can satisfy the demand for jobs, or indeed that /any/ developed country has such an occupation system. Put another way, 0% unemployment is a fantasy. Put another, is Iceland a developed country?
      3. Assuming that every occupation has equal employability, or that mobility between various ‘employment levels’ is possible. If the only job available to an ex-builder is as a professor of philosophy, the vacancy will go unfilled. Likewise, if the only job available to an ex-professor of philosophy is as a builder, that vacancy will go unfilled. The job pool within a certain area, whatever size it was originally, can shrink to negligible size depending upon the qualification of the person seeking a job.

• Deuteronomy says:

Lilliput,

It’s quite obvious that not every job has equal mobility, and that the economy can never have full employment. On the other hand, in a modern mixed economy the opportunities for creating marketable value are pretty much endless.

Some people have medical issues, others have difficult family situations. It’s true that not everyone everywhere is capable of managing through crises, but most people most places should be. If that’s not the case, we are fucked.

The unemployment rate is a macroeconomic measure, I don’t understand why you would bring it up in the context of the individual job seeker except as an excuse for failure. By the way the banks in Iceland may have imploded but wiki says the unemployment rate is around 8%. Apparently people in Iceland still need to be clothed, fed and entertained.

Then move. I moved. Or work a menial job (or depend on relatives or a spouse or hell even the government), save and retrain. Save up, research job prospects and take a two year community college course. You are making excuses for failure. There is too much celebration of downfall and failure going on in our culture. This trendy cynicism towards success is symptomatic of a deep rot.

• Pamplemousse says:

This is some of the most weird trolling I have ever seen. The troll instead of just baiting an reaction gets emotionally involved with the arguement.

Anyway, Totalbiscuit was just voicing his opinion on how he couldn’t find a bad point in buying the game. This DOESN’T apply to those who are currently in a different postition to Total – unemployed, not a fan of RTSs.

None of you would get angry if Kieron Gillan/John Walker/Whatever said this on the original review, leave totalbiscuit alone! Let him voice his opinions….

• Pamplemousse says:

Anyway, Totalbiscuit was just voicing his opinion on how he couldn’t find a bad point in buying the game. This DOESN’T apply to those who are currently in a different postition to Total – unemployed, not a fan of RTSs, ect.

• LovesBlood says:

BL00D.BL00D.Bl00D :D

4. BlackJack says:

There where several improovments since the first release. Till date there where 2 content packs giving new weapons and maps for free. The interface has improoved significantly. They listen to their community complains about overall gamebalance and fixed alot of bugs. The only thing you need to pay for is the game ( ofc ) and the character packs if you care for shenanigans like that ( but its 1.50e for each so thats not really much compared what other companys charge for DLC that has less content than the FREE updates the game got till date )

I allways view KF as a kind of B-Movie Horror Game. From the cheesy voice overs to “everyone runs faster with a knife” thing and the metal soundtrack. Its a game that dosent take itself tooooo seriously but is challenging enough to motivate on the long run.

Oh and before i forget…the 3 new maps are some of the best i saw people dishing out useing the Unreal 2.5 engine. Really neat stuff…its free weekend anyways so no loss in giving the game a shot imo.

5. somecallmedave says:

Its a very solid release IMO, its revitalised the servers and will hopefully inject a fresh crop of players into the game.

Its good to see that TWI are still very much focused on their game and the content is great, i also like the fact they’ve released character packs, i don’t mind paying a couple of quid to line their coffers, especially when the big content is this good and free!

6. hydra9 says:

A free weekend is what I’ve been waiting for! Thanks for the tip-off. I’m working both days but I still should be able to get in a few hours of proving how much I suck at team sports.

7. Hermit says:

Spent some time with the free weekend and enjoyed it enough to lay down the money for the actual game. If nothing else, it helps fund RO2, but I can see myself playing this for a fair while.

The DLC model is an interesting one, too. Give away your bigger content updates for free so that players don’t miss out on new maps and content, but support that with cheap DLC aimed at the core player audience.

8. Alexander Norris says:

Regrettably, if you didn’t really like KF when it came out, there won’t be much for you in this update (unless you find that the new weapons lead to much more fun, in which case, fair enough).

The game still feels like a mod. The graphics haven’t really been updated (I still think they’re about as good as they can get on a five-year-old engine, though), the gameplay is still the same (wave-based kill-everything-to-survive-athon) and the whole very-much-like-a-mod nature is still there. It’s not something that I can play all the time for weeks at a time, but it is something I pop on every now and then to shoot something without having to think too much.

9. Farrer says:

I bought killing floor upon release. played it with some good friends but it never really gripped our attention. we were hoping for something we could play alongside L4D but this wasnt it. i still occasionally come back to it, mostly after updates, to see whats going on and its clear progress is being made.

my only annoyance is my trouble to find decent online games.

10. Lilliput King says:

Gave the game a go this morning with 2 player co-op, and so far my reactions are pretty positive. The guns are beautifully meaty, and the gameplay addictive and varied enough to be interesting. It lends itself to on the fly tactics more than L4D, but is really a very different game.

Alexander is right – the presentation is acceptable, but you can still feel the slight lack of polish in terms of UI and graphics that make the game feel like a mod. The maps, on the other hand, are excellent, plenty of different places to hide out in and doors to weld etc.

I like it, but for my usual group of 4 co-op buddies, even on the weekend discount pricing, the game will still come to £44. Seems like too much.

11. Dominic White says:

Yeah, this is a budget-priced game, by a small team that only recently turned pro. Buying it and complaining that it feels like a mod is kinda missing the point. If you want a multi-million-dollar production, you’ll be paying 2-3x as much.

I like the gameplay much more than Left 4 Dead, personally. It reminds me of Doom, in a good way – chunky, heavy weapons and enemies that you kit with a resounding ‘thwack’ rather than just cutting through like they were nothing.

The game is very tongue-in-cheek. A lot of Americans don’t seem to get the humor, which is sad – everyone must watch Dog Soldiers in order to get why these SAS guys are being so damn silly in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

Kudos to Tripwire for their support. They’ve added a lot to the game since launch, and the only DLC they’ve charged for is, effectively, a glorified donations system. You get some funky new character skins, but that’s it. You won’t get a better game or cooler guns because you’ve given them money, and that’s a good way to do it.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Killing Floor is just more fun than L4D as far as I’m concerned. There’s a lot that could and probably should be done with it, but I like the level progression system, I like the difficulty and far superior enemy variety to L4D, plus there is no contest between L4D’s weapons and Killing Floor, Killing Floor blows L4D right out of the water in that regard.

• Lilliput King says:

Weapon meaty-ness is something Valve just doesn’t seem good at.

The fact that the very first pistol you get in KF feels better than anything in L4D is odd.

(Especially when you get that first headshot, phwoar.)

• jRides says:

Y’know, that’s the second time I’ve heard someone mention Dog Soldiers while discussing this game. I will check this out – Dog Soldiers references have sold me on the idea. Although, now my expectations will have gone through the roof..

• Dominic White says:

The humor is very Dog Soldiers. There’s sadly not nearly enough variation in the voicework, and only a couple of voices total, so you will tire of it eventually.

Still, hitting the ‘taunt zombies’ button and hearing “You lot are pathetic! Worse than Millwall fans!” is fun.

• diebroken says:

“Come an’ have a go – if ya think ya ‘ARD ENUFF!” XD

• diebroken says:

Dammit, I thought I included the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BY-Yg1S1AA

:D

• postmanX3 says:

There’s no competition between KF’s guns, and any other game’s guns. Period.

12. Icehawg says:

I [heart] TotalBiscuit.

Sana came at him, and he defended himself. Nothing wrong there.

*swoon*

13. Dain says:

I didn’t realise that gaming as a hobby requires you to buy lots of games. Ah well, we live and learn.

• TotalBiscuit says:

It doesn’t, but trying to claim that £11 is a big deal in the grand scheme of things is borderline retarded. Unless you’re buying everything you own on Sold Out or from GoG, there is no reason to go nuts over £11, claim that in order to afford such a Faberge Egg of a title that you need to ‘on allowance from your parents’ and whatever other nonsense that spewed out of Sana’s mouth after he raged out over a casual remark and decided ad hominem was the way to go.

Love or hate Killing Floor, or merely think it’s ‘ok’, but it is good value for money and made by a solid developer who is clearly showing love for the product with these updates and support for the community. That was my point in the first place, that is why I think folks should own a copy of Killing Floor and I would appreciate it if we didn’t waste anymore time trying to crucify each other over an £11 video-game.

• Tei says:

I have played quake1 for more than 6 years. And the Counter-Strike guys will probably play it longer. There are people still playing diablo2. So no, Gamming as a Hobby don’t mean automatically to buy a game every 3 months.

14. Dominic White says:

Looks like Defence Alliance 2 – the TC assault-style mod that was going to be included – has been delayed a little. Should be out soonish, though.

In the meantime, here’s a trailer for it:

15. Tei says:

KF is good, but feel like L4D coop with more players, and some “grinding then boss” gameplay.

Also, everyone here remenbers X-COM and “monster hidding in a closet” problem. Wen theres very few monsters left ( 2 , 3.. ) the player feel lazy …is somewhat like a anti-climmax.

• Dominic White says:

On the higher difficulty settings, when you get to those final few monsters, you can breathe a long sigh of relief. On the later stages of Hard mode (especially Hard/Long) and Suicidal in general, it’s less of an anticlimax and more of a joyous few moments where your brains aren’t at risk of being eaten.

Oh, and if anyone was worried about whether the player-base would just evaporate after this free weekend is over, even BEFORE this big update, there were usually at least 80 populated, dedicated, password-free servers running at any given time. There will almost certainly be more once the weekend ends.

16. DK says:

You won’t get a better shooter than Killing Floor for the same price.

17. wellsaidted says:

Thank you sana and Mr Biscuit for providing some amusing and utterly inconsequential bickering while I ate my egg sandwich. Bravo!

18. Draken says:

The M79 Grenade Launcher is absolutely orgasmic to fire. The new medigun is awesome as well. I haven’t tried the other new guns, though.
    The game has improved a lot since launch, but if you didn’t like it at firstly, you probably won’t like it now (since most changes were more improvements than real changes).

• Dominic White says:

The medigun is a real finesse weapon. Very powerful, but probably has the highest fire-rate of anything in the game. It can empty the whole clip in just over a second, which means a lot of hits, but reloads are frequent.

The Blooper IS fantastic though.

19. linfosoma says:

The game has improved drastically since release.
    Not only bug fixes, better hit detection and new content, but you also get new sublte things like a completely new UI and new animations for the enemies.
    They’ve added alt-fire to weapons that didn’t previously had it, and managed to improve the game by listening to their customer without breaking the core gameplay or balance which is quite an achievement in my eyes.

I’ve never seen a game receive this kind of support and so fast.
    I plan to buy Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalngrad even if Im not that into WWII games, that’s how much I love Tripwire.

20. Gotem says:

Is it just me or the Loading time of that game are ridiculous?
    gave it a try last night, and since I’m new to the game while I get a feeling of it and figure out all teh weapons and keys I’m getting killed on the first wave.
    So it’s five minutes of wait for about 30 seconds of play.

21. Lilliput King says:

Would appear to be just you? Takes less than 30 seconds to load a map for me.

22. coupsan says:

I have mouse lag issues with the game. Messed with the mouse configuration for a while, but nothing changed. The game looks fun, but this is seriously annoying.

• Alexander Norris says:

For the first 10-15 seconds of a game, my mouse sensitivity will always be near 0 for some unknown reason. It goes back to what it’s supposed to be a few seconds later. I’m not sure if that’s your problem, but if it is, it goes away.

23. Thermal Ions says:

Tried the single player, and after 4/5 maps it just didn’t grab me enough to bother playing on. Will give the co-op a go with a couple of friends on the weekend, but don’t hold high hopes that it’s for me. Good luck to those who enjoy it though.

• Tei says:

What singleplayer? this game has singleplayer? the same way L4D has singleplayer, I suppose… You can play Pong against a wall. Fun is not.

• Dominic White says:

The game is entirely based around co-op. Moreso that L4D, even, as there’s no bots to fill the ranks if you’re alone. On top of that, it scales to the number of players, so a full 6 player game will have you absolutely swarmed from all sides.

Hell, one of the classes exists purely to heal other players – you dont’ get any XP from patching yourself up.

Singleplayer exists almost solely to just explore the maps and figure out the controls.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Judging Killing Floor by it’s single-player is really not a very good idea.

• Gorgeras says:

What single-player?

24. Hug_dealer says:

Tripwire has said that if killing floor does well enough, they will make an entire game based off of it. Complete co-op specimen killing madness.

Entire characters, campaign, and more, on a better engine. I think it has done well enough for that, and considering the gameplay is 100% better than l4d, im all for it.

• Dominic White says:

The original Killing Floor mod actually had a ‘scenario’ game-mode where you’d actually play through linear levels, rather than just surviving waves of attackers. I don’t think there are any maps in that style for the new version, though.

I’d like to see that expanded into a full game, though, ideally with a nod or two towards Resistance 2′s (PS3) co-op, where the maps are huge, and it gives you random mission objectives to complete around them.

25. invisiblejesus says:

I only got the chance for a bit of play last night, but I’d have to echo those who say if you didn’t like it before, the update won’t change your mind. I liked it before, and I like it better now, especially the improved specimen animations. The new trader menu was a little bit unintuitive to me at first, maybe because I was so used to the old one, but after a couple visits I found myself liking it better. It’s easier and faster for me to find the items I want to buy, get done and get ready to kill some more, which is important since you’re on a timer. My only real complaint is that I’d really like them to add a slider for the film grain effect, a la L4D; the default amount is just a little bit much for me. Not a huge problem, but something I’d like to see in a future update.

26. 1nightstand says:

Free weekend is always a good idea- that’s what got me to Red Orchestra, which was a love story for two solid years.

But this one…
    I go to MP straight away- the servers master takes painfully long to load. I have no patience for it to finish what it has to do and I don’t see a ‘stop’ button. I spot a 5/6 server amongst all the full ones and try to get in- I have to chase it with my mouse because servers keep coming and it’s scrolling down. Ahh! Gotcha! loading screen…. ‘server is full’. I go back to the list and it’s refreshing automatically, painfully slow again, I stare in horror- would I have to go through this with every failed attempt to connect? I wait and chase down another 5/6. This time it’s downloading some textures packs- loading has finished- loading screen… full.

I go back to the self refreshing list and click on the ‘no full servers’ filter- it’s re-refreshing itself. I try to get in a 4/6 server- loading screen…. ‘attempted connection failed’. I try twice more with the same results. Each time waiting for the list to populate.
    I exit to windows and play TF2 for an hour.

Don’t think I’ll be buying this game.

• Dominic White says:

Congratulations! You have an attention span of less than 30 seconds!

Anyway, for those who want a laugh, here’s a couple of ‘experimental’ servers. 22 and 30-player, respectively.

KillingFloor://85.17.254.156:7807
      KillingFloor://213.165.82.144:7707

Both start players off at Level 6, and if you type ‘!rtd’ in the chat bar to give you a random effect, from free ammo, to spawning an angry fleshpound that hates you and ONLY you. The maps are huge and silly, including a very cool zombie-infested carnival.

Oh, and yes, enemy numbers do scale up. Just because there’s 20+ of you doesn’t mean that you’re getting it easy. There are armies of the undead, and Scrakes and Fleshpounds in particular are hard as nails.

There’s also some additional sillyness like cross-ported vehicles from Unreal Tournament. Always good for a laugh. You don’t gain regular XP or achievements on those servers, sadly, but they’re good if you want something different from the regular gameplay.

• 1nightstand says:

It was more like 2 minutes+ I wouldn’t mind it so much if I actually got to PLAY the game by the end of the process. You mutton head.

• Dominic White says:

It’s because today is the first full day of the free weekend, and there are more players than the existing servers can support because everyone is rushing them. Normally there’s no problem at all finding a whole bunch of populated (but not full) games.

So have a little patience. It may take an extra couple of minutes to find a game, once you’re on, you may well be on for several hours.

• 1nightstand says:

A free weekend is no excuse for this shoddy interface- if you can’t manage to get in, the list of servers should stay there for you to try another and not to auto-refresh itself. I don’t remember the RO interface (basically the same interface) acting like that.

• Dominic White says:

The game uses the exact same interface as RO, so the problems you’re encountering sound like they’re more localized or temporal, rather than the fault of the game. I’ve had no trouble at all finding a game – takes a few seconds longer than usual due to the increased traffic, but it’s running fine.

• 1nightstand says:

Also: it’s not just that it’s full- if you had read my first post more attentively you would realize that- I can’t get into half full servers cos I get the ‘failed connection’ message.

I went and tried again in empty servers- same message. I manually changed the definitions in the firewall- no luck.

Might be it’s a great game, I guess I’ll never know. I never had such a bad experience with a steam game.

27. Ben L. says:

Got Killing Floor several months ago, haven’t touched L4D since. Plenty of servers near me, lots of great fan maps, and co-op that doesn’t age quickly. I quite love the game. Just maps, guns, cash, and zombie killin’, the way I like it.

28. Ted says:

A free weekend is kind of pointless if you won’t let people download the game. I’ve been trying all day to load it, and I keep getting the message that the Steam servers are too busy to allow any more downloads of Killing Floor. I sort of doubt that Valve fails to allocate enough server capacity when they have L4D or TF2 free weekends.

• Dominic White says:

Actually, Valve underestimate demand for stuff pretty often. They managed to completely flub the Unreal Tournament 3 free weekend, so actually ran a second one with a much longer preload phase.

• invisiblejesus says:

Keep in mind Borderlands preloads went up just yesterday, too. My roomate and I both had trouble connecting to download ours, so I suspect it’s a combination of that and the Killing Floor free weekend. Try changing your download location, you should be able to connect and download then, albeit slowly.

• Ted says:

Thanks! That did it. I didn’t even know you could do that. I changed from New York to Washington, D.C, which are only like 120 miles apart, and it went through right away at high speed. Which is ridiculous, really.

• invisiblejesus says:

Now that I think about it it’s not really a huge surprise. With no server in Boston or Montreal, NYC is the closest server for pretty much the entire New England region and some of Canada. They really should put a server in at least one of those two cities.

29. Dominic White says:

Okay, for those having trouble connection to any Killing Floor servers at the moment, try this:

Filter out empty servers, but not full ones. Find a good dozen or so potential ones with low pings ,and right-click and add them to your favourites list. Then you can just refresh the favourites (almost instant) rather than flooding the master server (sloooow). Should let you find a slot and jump in fairly quickly.

The master server seems to be taking a hammering right now. Perhaps more interest in the game than Tripwire anticipated?

30. Dominic White says:

Also, I just found a server running a Doom 2 mod. Proper waves of Doom 2 enemies (and yes, archviles are bloody annoying), and some even drop Doom weapons in all their silly 2D glory. Fun times.

31. Messiah Complex says:

Much like Painkiller, Killing Floor does a handful of things very well, as opposed to games that layer a ton of content over mediocre execution. Dollar for dollar (or pound for pound), it’s a much better value than many of the “AAA” titles I’ve played.

32. Vinraith says:

Has anyone else had this thing BSOD them on exit?

• Tei says:

Sounds like a driver bug to me.

• Vinraith says:

That’s entirely possible Tei, it’s just that so far I’ve only had it happen with Killing Floor so I figured I’d check and see if anyone else was having similar problems. I’m also doing all the usual things, virus checks, hard drive checks, driver updates etc.

• Mwalk10 says:

I had that problem when playing UT2004 several years ago. I think it was a video driver problem but I cant be sure. I probably just ignored it until it went away on its own or I reformatted.

33. Psychopomp says:

Pros:The game is very, very good. It is Tripwire afterall.

Cons:I know it’s a free weekend, but I’m honestly astonished by the stupidity of some people. Someone says to just run away from the big glowy dude, *you do not fucking try to knife the big glowy dude.*

If we’re holing up in a house, because there’s far too many for us to handle out in the open, *you do not fucking run out on your own.*

I had no idea, that teamwork was such an alien concept to some people.

34. Dante says:

Okay, I feel like the stupidest man in the world right now, but I can’t figure out how to host a net game.

Seriously, it defaults to LAN, and I have no fucking idea where the option is to switch it to net so my pals can play.

35. Dante says:

Yeah, that’s unticked. It’s still going to LAN though.

36. Gorgeras says:

Killing Floor currently seems to be having some problems for some people. Las night right after the update it was fine for me, but I’ve been trying to get a game for the last hour and it just won’t connect and seems to have variable loading times too.

The response from the master qeury server is slow and often incomplete, as details such as ping, settings and players don’t appear and only very few servers are appearing in the Steam browser. Verifying the cache has changed nothing, except that now when I try connecting to some servers it insists on re-downloading the maps and they are HUGE for some reason.

37. Ted says:

I person who sounded like a 15 year old with a bad lisp just yelled at me for being a noob. Good reminder of why I hate all multiplayer games, so deleting this one now.

• Psychopomp says:

Because, you know, one person is representative of an entire player base.

• Centy says:

This game is really not brilliant in public servers unless you know exactly what you are doing it’s best played with people you know on a listen server that’s how I’ve been playing it since launch day. A few mates and some guns plus a whole host of things to murder can be a very enjoyable few hours and I find levelling up the perks oddly satisfying for someone who hates mmo’s and rpgs.

38. Dante says:

I'd never play a co-op game with randoms, clearly your own server with friends is the way to go.
    Only I can't bloody set one up :(
    Fucking PC gaming!

39. Dante says:

Great, now I can't even ask in the official forums because they won't take hotmail addresses.

It's a shame, I was considering buying this a while back, now I'm glad I waited until I could find out it wouldn't work for free.

40. Dante says:

Right, that's it, I've given up. Right about the point where following the port forwarding instructions was stopped by me not knowing the username and password to my own router.

I hope someone else figures this shit out for Borderlands.

41. Lilliput King says:

Dante, if you’re still around – UPnP should be a setting on your router, maybe in ‘advanced options’ or ‘miscellanious options.’ Not all routers have it, but it’s pretty common. If you don’t know the username and password to your router, it’s likely that both are null, and you can click ‘submit’ or ‘log in’ or whatever without filling anything out and it will let you in. This is speculation, though.

What router are you using?

Seems to me the game is worth the effort. I absolutely love it, though I’ve only played co-op with friends so far, and probably will never dip into the multiplayer.

42. Dante says:

I said I’d given up, but I didn’t, I enabled UPnP, forwarded the relevant ports (requiring me to revert my router to factory settings) and did everything I could think of. I still can’t get it working.

I’ve played the game with my flatmate over LAN, and it’s a lot of fun, I’d definitely buy it if I could get it working with others.

43. Lilliput King says:

Some options remain – You could use Hamachi, a virtual LAN server, and get your friends to join your LAN game with that.

Or you could launch a dedicated server, and join that from your computer too. I havent tried that to see if it is possible in KF, but it has worked for me for several games, notably TF2.

Erm. Hmmm. If you enable UPnP, you needn’t forward the ports. It’s a massive long shot and possibly insulting to the intellect, but did you try the game after enabling UPnP, but before forwarding the ports (hence reverting the router to defaults)?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Possibly your game will show up on LAN even if it’s also out there on the main server, so you needn’t consider it showing up there a sympton of failure. Have your friends got their routers sorted (UPnP, really) too, along with software firewalls?

Can’t think of anything else just yet.

44. DethDonald says:

I didn’t expect to enjoy this as much as I did. It’s still not a purchase yet but maybe on the next DLC.

I nominate this game for worst soundtrack.

45. hydra9 says:

The free weekend did its job. I played a few hours, I liked it a hell of a lot, I bought it!

46. Frostbite says:

Wow, I can’t believe somebody actually thinks it costs too much. I feel sorry for you, because I’m currently unemployed and still pulled enough from online just in my website revenue alone to buy this game, haha. And yeah it’s very worth it, the new class doesn’t do much for me but the new weapons and monster definitely do. They’re also changing the sound effects at just about every major junction, as the weapons sound nice and chunky now too compared to before.

The free weekend did its job indeed as I ended up buying it along with both character packs. Now excuse me while I go enjoy being “rich” with my 15 dollar game and 4 dollars worth of DLC characters. I feel so shameful.

47. Tyshalle says:

I played this game during the free weekend and then bought it. It’s surprisingly playable, and replayable. My only issue with it is that it is not the most stable game on the planet. I frequently crash, or when we switch maps I’ll sometimes drop from the server. Sometimes it takes me like 2-3 minutes to connect to a server after being in a loading screen forever. It’s pretty annoying, because I never have these problems with any professional games. That said, for what it is, and for the price, it really can’t be beat.

48. Deerhoof says:

Never had this stability/crashing problem.

I used to, however, when I was using a sub-par machine.

As soon as I upgraded to a rather sexy specification, all my problems vanished.

Maybe it’s time for an upgrade?
    Then again, to stay on-topic of this comments thread, (I know it’s many days old, now) , if you can’t afford £11 to spend on an impulse-buy, why the hell would you be able to afford a PC that could run any recent game at any kind of reasonable quality?
    If your parents buy your hardware for you, maybe they’ll also buy you the cute zombie game.

On a side-note. Killing Floor is so much better to play now, than it was on release.
    I tend to find the people that slate it so badly after their initial experience, haven’t given it enough time or patience to really enjoy it properly.
    The levelling system is maybe the problem. Being lvl 0 in killing floor, is the equivalent of running high-level instances with a base-character in an RPG. You’re basically a meat-shield.
    Spend some time and bump up your skills a little, and it rapidly becomes an enjoyable game.

49. LovesBlood says: