Jumpy Stabby: Assassin’s Creed II Footage

By John Walker on October 27th, 2009 at 1:36 am.

Heh, heh,

A few new bits and pieces on Assassin’s Creed have appeared, partly in the form of a preview by GameTrailers, and partly in an architecture video from German site Gamerglotze.de. You can see both of them below, learning a bit more about the background behind the new central character and his motivations, and see a lot more of the city that you’ll be clambering all over.

Gamerglotze’s video is lengthy, with some rather pleasant music to accompany the impressive cities and plastic-zombie-faces of the inhabitants. There’s also plenty of combat and action in there too.

GameTrailers meanwhile present an overview of the game, along with some more unseen footage.

Via Blues.

, , .

1. Inanimotioon says:

Yay yay yay yay yay!

I’m not sure whether or not I’ll like the added RPG elements. But so far looking like a good sequel to the first.

Not over complicating it, and keeping the best parts of the original as well.

2. qrter says:

Not buying anything until I know this game will actually run on a PC built by humans.

• Wooly says:

I agree. I can’t look around from high places without a hideous framerate drop.

• Pantsman says:

Just buy an Alienware. Problem solved. :P

• Devan says:

Heh, Alienware might not be built by humans, but they’re still a ripoff.

As for me, I’ll wait to see if it the story is any better than the last one. The climbing/fighting action alone isn’t different enough to warrant buying a sequel.

3. EBass says:

Well despite having a host of things I could criticise about it (and I did) overall I still liked Assasin’s Creed. From the looks of things I don’t think they’ve fixed all the bad design decisions but it certainly looks like they’ve adressed some of them. Is this a simultaneous PC release or will we have to wait again?

4. Howl says:

YouTube just went nuts with some kind of AC2 promo stuff. Giant banner ads linking to some kind of mini-movie-promo affair? I watched for 5 minutes and that was enough for me. It did have a cheap retro feel to it though and reminded me of some old FMV games. I half expected Mad Dog McCree to jump out.

5. LewieP says:

Fool me one, shame on you.

Fool me….you can’t get fooled again.

6. Deuteronomy says:

qrter dude seriously? Any $50 video card is going to blow away the console baseline for this game.

• Vinraith says:

The code on consoles is optimized for console hardware, the code on PC’s isn’t optimized for anything. While I’m quite certain my new system can handle it, my old one got eaten alive, and it had considerably better than a modern $50 video card in it.

• Clovis says:

Ya, that should have been true for GTA IV as well. I liked how the devs explained the terrible performance by saying that GTAIV uses next gen technology or some crap. Right, and this amazing tech runs on an XBOX 360 with no problem? No, you just wrote a bad port. My hopes aren’t high for this one either.

• SquareWheel says:

Dunno about you guys, but Assassin’s Creed 1 and GTA IV ran fine for me.

7. JimmyJames says:

It sure is pretty. I liked a lot about AC1 but touting tearing down posters as new and exciting gameplay sounds like a bit of a stretch – might as well be picking pockets/listening in on conversations all over again.

8. Jun Shen Chia says:

You guys are forgetting the Assassin’s Creed 2 – Lineage episode 1 short film is already up on Youtube!

9. Junch says:

You guys are forgetting that episode 1 of the Assassin’s Creed 2 – Lineage shorts is up on Youtube already!

10. AndyE says:

Combat still looks shite. Crowds of guys standing around you while you attack one enemy

• Aubrey says:

Same as batman, then… which was, um, really fun?

• Hoernchen says:

That’s how you do it on consoles, and this is not a PC game.

• Vinraith says:

“this is not a PC game”

No, it’s not, it’s very much a console port. It still looks like a hell of a lot of fun, though, and being as I don’t own any next-gen consoles (and have no plans to) I’ll be picking it up on PC unless the port is horribly broken (like, worse than the port of the first one).

11. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Voodoo Extreme have the first part of the live action promo for this. Very well done and must cost a bomb to make.

12. Premium User Badge Okami says:

gamerglotze.de is a terrible, terrible name for a website.

13. Schmung says:

I just hope they fix the incredibly repetitive and tedious info gathering side-missions. The original felt like an opportunity wasted in many ways, so here’s hoping they’ve addressed that in some meaningful way.

14. los says:

Can anyone tell me what was so “deeply satisfying about disarming that somewhat armored opponent and running him through with his own HALBERD”? It just seemed impossible and lame to me.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Because it’s hard and awesome, so it’s satisfying when you pull it off?

• Mr.Bigglesworth says:

Use your imagination, Grasshopper :)

• los says:

Well OK, maybe I can try to imagine opponents being made of bread. Then there might be a chance of running that halberd through them. But there would still be problems pulling it out.

15. Sobric says:

Looks kinda fun, although I seriously hope they don’t overuse the OH SO SLIGHTLY unrealistic diving-into-hay-cart-from-rooftops mechanic. It worked in the first shot, then in the follow-up it seemed misplaced (the hay cart I mean).

Other than that, it looks sort of fun. I like the setting as well (oh, except for Da Vinci. Seriously?)

16. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Funny how killing officials can lower one’s notoriety.

17. EBass says:

Yea I thought that as well.

“Jesus matey that attack on the houses of parliment was too much! We gotta lay low for a while!”

“Don’t worry, we’ll just kill the prime minister, then everyone will forget about us.”

18. Guy says:

‘Dividends of Death’! Accountant by day, assassin by night. I’d play it.

19. Chaz says:

I wonder, will there be any more open country horse ridy bits, like there was in the Kingdom in the first one, as I’ve not seen any evidence of it yet? Getting out into the country made a nice break from the cramped confines of the city streets in the first game. I’m liking the look of all the additions especially the customisation options.

20. Bananaphone says:

The combat animation looks really stupid, he just runs at them flailing his fists. Hope there’s a windmilling ability.

21. megaman says:

The first part had some amazing potential. I had fun playing it, sadly only for a while because of the repetition. I, for one, am looking forward to this – it looks like they kept the nice things and might have improved the other parts. I hope I can borrow it from a friend like I did with the first one after he had finished playing it.

22. MacBeth says:

Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, Part 1, classical-music-fact-fans…

In fact – this exact recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2AEaQJuKDY

23. MacD says:

Ugh; it’s got that same horrid white-out effect when targetting an enemy. I swear, a circle under them, or a slight sharpening of your target instead of that fullbody, texture erasing white blur would have been much appreciated.

Oblivion did the saqme for targetted loot…it’s the most intrusive and invase and immersionbreaking thing you can do as a game dev. Sure, it’s obvious, but it’s too intrusive. I wish they would have done it in a MUCH more subtle way.

And the killing is a bit OTT; “yeah, now you can kill two people at the same time! Aren’t you cool now!”.
    Somehow I think the devs just don’t understand what’s cool about this game and how to emphasise it. It’s like they know how to make cool game mechanics, but don’t know how to make a cool GAME out of them. It’s really odd, I think AC is one of the first games where I’ve really come across that problem so obviously.

24. Urthman says:

Anyone but me annoyed that towers in 16th century Italy have bird perches identical to the ones in 12th century Palestine?

I’d hope that this is some subtle clue about the limitations of the Animus if the first game had done anything remotely clever at all with the concept.

Dumb plot and dumber unskippable cuts cenes aside, I enjoyed the first game and this looks like more of what I liked with even more variety. Assassin’s Creed runs great on today’s PC hardware, so if they can just manage to not make the port worse than last time, this one should run okay. Not a very high bar, but not a sure thing either.

25. Freudian Trip says:

I’m starting a sweepstake on how many exits it’ll take to quit the game. I’ve got $20 on 7. Any takers?

26. Yongblade says:

They said it comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3 on November 17th. Then they’ll release the PC version in sometime around the begining of 2010.