Mining My Own Business: Space Asshole

By John Walker on October 27th, 2009 at 2:52 pm.

Being an asshole.

Griefing in a single player game may seem slightly self-defeating, but in a game like Red Faction: Guerilla it’s just so incredibly tempting. A game that makes everything but the ground itself destructible and then gives you a giant hammer is asking for trouble – when you realise you can smash up your own bases, including their inhabitants, it becomes a battle with your own consciousness not to constantly destroy it, ally moral be damned. This is something that clearly couldn’t be resisted by Idle Thumbs who have created a superb song about the exploits of a Space Asshole. You can watch it below.

Red Faction: Guerilla is ranking highly in my ill-formed list of 2009′s best games, and watching this makes me want to go back and break more stuff. Kieron discussed it in detail here. Oh, and of course America seems to have a problem with the word “asshole”, so if you’re one of them you might not want to play it too loudly in your grandmother’s nursing home. And now, enjoy the song:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Freudian Trip says:

Both beautiful and wanton. Lovely.

2. Yargh says:

most enjoyable

3. Stense says:

It is very catchy.

4. Tei says:

Fun fact: The graphics for “money” on the game are gears and mechanical pieces. but on my spanish localized version after the middle of the game the characters in-game change is mind and call it “money”. As in “We need more money for the nanothingie”

5. c-Row says:

Beautiful.

6. Bhazor says:

The villain of this song seemed hugely unimaginative.
    I was a bigger asshole in the original, sticking explosive to the bad guys helmets and watching them panic, creating a deep pit just to screw with AI path finding, letting my allies get beat to death in front of me and then stealing their stuff etc.

That said the ending was nicely sadistic against a poor unnamed grunt so that was good.

7. Dave says:

Ha!

I sort of accidentally drove a truck into a bridge support at one of the safehouses once, and a dude started shooting at me until somebody else yelled at him to chill out. It almost made me want to start blowing up Red Faction stuff on purpose to see what they’d do, but it seems I still have the same conscience that stopped me from drowning little kids in The Sims…

8. Joe Martin says:

Only one word to describe this:

WIZARD

9. Idle Threats and Bad Poetry says:

Idle Thumbs, you say?

10. Clovis says:

In Saints Row 2 you could happily beat the crap out of your “homies” with no penalty. Why? Because it’s fun. I don’t see how killing miners making them sad actually adds to the game. Now every time I want to goof around blowing up my own faction’s stuff I have to save my game and reload. It would make no sense for the miners to merrily have their stuff (and heads) broken, but it also doesn’t make sense that a sledgehammer can blow a concrete wall to pieces in one swing.

Doesn’t matter much though; I’m really enjoying RFG.

Heh, make sure to catch the last 30 seconds of the video.

11. Arathain says:

The last 30 seconds was my favourite bit.

12. airtekh says:

Love it. :D

13. Baris says:

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear this during the podcast. Never understood why people kept pressuring him to make another song until I heard this.

14. h4plo says:

Wonderful treatment of a wonderful game.

15. JonFitt says:

The song was good, but apart from the last 30 seconds it was poor machinima.
    Lots of shots of the guy chasing people and missing them with the hammer. It needed some more coordination with more elaborate setups and destruction to match the song.

16. army of none says:

Excellent song :D

17. Risingson says:

Can I have a taste of your icecream?
    Can I lick the crumbs from your table?

18. tocob says:

Video: Jake Rodkin
    Video Games: Nick Breckon

19. Tyshalle says:

Americans have a problem with the word asshole?

This is news to me, though I suppose we have a problem with most things, don’t we?

20. Aisi says:

“Take pride in your appearance!”
    ….
    :-D

Brilliant find!! Space asshole.. to the rescue!?

21. Gabbo says:

Video Games = Jake
    John Q. Videogame = Nick

This being posted might just make Remo all giddy, given his love of the site.

22. Dominic White says:

Agreeing with those saying that the assholery on the video was awkward and pedestrian, aside from that final stretch. No ramming civililans off the edges of cliffs? Breaking bridges as they’re about to cross them? Sticking demolition charges to random civillians heads?

There’s a million ways to be a Space Asshole in RFG, and he seems to have found one – hitting people with the hammer.

23. Muzman says:

Man, I am bummed I missed the sale. (the mining colony inhabitants are some of the most passive I’ve ever seen, passing up reasons to down tools and punch one another with disturbing regularity. Maybe it’s the oxygen mix on the planet.)
    Anyway, and now this:

24. Vincent Avatar says:

I say, is that Tenacious D singing?

25. Hypocee says:

I wasn’t aware we had a problem with ‘asshole’ – if anyone, that’s you guys since it’s missing an R, right? Are you maybe referring to ‘jackass’ when it’s used by certain Communist Antichrists with the wrong colour skin?

26. DMJ says:

Damn you RPS! It’s just not acceptable for me to start singing “Space Assho-o-o-o-ole!” at work but it’s too catchy…

27. Mythrilfan says:

This made me so, so happy. Just in general.

Comment on this story