Oh What A Lovely Medal Wars?

By Kieron Gillen on October 28th, 2009 at 11:26 am.

Well, not really. While John and Alec play the Torchlight demo, I try and up my indie-cred by playing this comedy-WW1 action-RPG instead. More fool me. To be fair, it’s a hyper-lo-fi thing, and does feature a three features I really like. Firstly, that there appears to be some hit-location elements, so if you head-shot, the comedy-Hun go down quicker and you save ammo. Secondly, when you get shot, occasionally your trousers fall down in an International-Karate-Plus fashion. And thirdly… well, the unusual setting married to more traditional mechanics. I’ve love to see more Indie RPG push in this direction – the Lovecraftian Cyclopean will be great, but I’d love to see a whole lot more. The rest… well, it’s not enormously good. I wouldn’t recommend someone buying it even if I could work out how to buy it. The demo doesn’t include any mention of it. Its website doesn’t either. And neither does its documentation. I highlight this, because it’s worrying Indie Marketing fail. Releasing a demo is the first and possibly last burst of publicity your indie game gets – even if the full version isn’t available, you should have explained that. Man!

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Johnson says:

Um… the title here is a play on the Rufus Wainwright song, right? I normally wouldn’t be interested, but I’ve been looked at him all night, Eastern Standard Time.

• HexagonalBolts says:

haha, Oh What A Lovely War, I saw a production of that in the tiniest theatre ever in Henley. I was one of three under-70-year-olds.

• JuJuCam says:

I was in a production of it last year. We added scenes to increase relevance to our Australian audience and consequently produced a 3 hour long show.

2. Krikey! says:

Well Kieron, I’m gonna have to start bugging you again since you want to “up (your) indie-cred” ;)

3. Plopsworth says:

Well. It was alright. Looked and played a bit like Lemmings Paintball (mobygames link), only not as puzzly nor as smooth, even 13 years later.

4. Rakysh says:

I thought is was really poor. Map didn’t make any sense and wasn’t at all helpful, damage seemed fairly arbitrary (It will either take four headshots to kill this German, or one). I gave up before I got to the village though, so I might be missing bits I spose.

5. Scott says:

A whole article on the ineptness of indie (non-) marketing would be welcome. A lot of people just put their stuff out there and quietly wait for the benjamins to start piling up, yo. Or maybe they just don’t care about money.

6. salejemaster says:

I’ve just found out about this Cyclopean trough this post it sound really amazing is this still in production?

7. Scott says:

Cyclopean: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,481.0.html

It is unfortunate that the one RPS article on this BRILLIANT indie effort doesn’t include a direct link to the main forum!