Team Beneath A Steel Sky Reuintes

By Alec Meer on October 28th, 2009 at 9:21 am.

There have been hints, rumours, perhaps even ancient prophecies – but now we know it for sure. Revolution Software’s Charles Cecil, main man on the Broken Sword games and owner of John Walker’s immortal soul, is once again working with Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons on a new game. Years and years and years and years ago, they joined forces for the near-legendary pointer-clickerer Beneath A Steel Sky (which you can get for free here). Annoyingly, Cecil wouldn’t say what it was as part of this rather exciting confession. “We have a number of ideas for premises and we honestly haven’t decided which road we’re going to go down. But I love writing and playing adventure games and that is what I’m going to stick to“, he told Eurogamer yesterday. DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE AN ADVENTURE GAME?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Nick says:

Exciting! Beneath a Steel Sky was a great game.. a tad on the short side but still hugely enjoyable, I hope whatever they do this time will be as good if not better.

2. MrGilder says:

And there was me thinking this was a OneLifeLeft exclusive a few weeks back?!?!

• TheApologist says:

They didn’t really confirm it on OLL, but yeah…having heard that interview this isn’t a surprise.

3. Ragnar says:

I wish they bring in Steve Ince for this project too. Then we’d know that the game will be awesome.

4. Bhazor says:

Hooray. Cecil said he was planning to get back with Gibbons in an interview for GamesTM (or is it Games (TM), god damn new games journalism) when the interviewer asked about a sequel to Steel Sky. So that helps the speculation some what.

But would it be sacrilege to say I never liked the art in Watchmen? I get the feeling all the clever bits of art like the metaphors, overlapping the dialogue of one scene with the image of another and Rorsarch’s mask etc were essentially Moore’s work. The actual doodles felt a bit hit and miss to me with overly lumpy faces and fluids which looked like porridge. But then again I’m a fan of Nemesis The Warlock. I am clearly a fool.

5. Lloyd says:

It’s got to be a new Beneath a Steel Sky. They have been wanting to make a sequel for bloody ages. Expect to see the Director’s Cut of Broken Sword on iPhone first, though. A Revolution employee pretty much confirmed that they’re (or at least he) is working on it on their message boards.

New to the blog, by the way! I like. Nicey nicey. More Risen Report in my eyes kthnx.

6. Risingson says:

Counting the time for a comment saying “I don’t like adventures because they don’t let me do whatever I want and that is frustrating”…

Anyway, good news. Though I think that all the Cecil games are flawed somewhat.

• Bhazor says:

I don’t like adventures because they don’t let me do whatever I want and that is frustrating. Essentially I wish we lived in a world where every adventure game ripped off The Last Express rather than Lucasarts.

7. hydra9 says:

You’re not a fool, Bhazor… not for liking Kev O’Neill’s amazing artwork or Pat Mills’ writing. I do think the artwork in Watchmen was excellent, though.

As for this news: AWESOME. BASS (nice acronym) is one of my all-time favourites.

8. bill says:

I found BASS rather disappointing. (poor story. odd mix of surreal humour and serious atmosphere).
    But i’m happy to hear that they’ll be making another game.

• bill says:

though i just remembered that the robot sidekick, and ability to give him orders, rocked.

9. Gap Gen says:

It’s going to be a football management sim. Mos def.

10. RLacey says:

I just hope it gets a PC release. All of their recent stuff (admittedly remakes) hasn’t made it.

11. phil says:

A pure adventure would be win, though looking at the success of Uncharted 2 and the other recent blockbuster action adventures I suspect an In Cold Blood, half way house might be an easier sell to the money men.

12. SanguineAngel says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    But i’m happy to hear that they’ll be making another game.

Heh I loved BaSS. I have replayed that game more than any other adventure game. I loved the mix of humour and atmosphere. But more importantly I thought the puzzles were intuitive but suitably challenging. As much as I loved all the adventure games I ate up, BaSS was my all time favourite.

And I really enjoyed the story.

Loved the art style too. A lot!

[ramble]

Also : I love adventure games because they DON'T let me do whatever I want and I can't whizz through them straight through. I like figuring things out, shock horror. I like it when a puzzle brings me up short and I have to think about what to do next. I even like when sometime I have to sleep on it!

What I don't like is when puzzles make no sense, but that's a seperate issue really.

[/ramble]

• Phlebas says:

Also : I love adventure games because they DON’T let me do whatever I want and I can’t whizz through them straight through. I like figuring things out, shock horror. I like it when a puzzle brings me up short and I have to think about what to do next. I even like when sometime I have to sleep on it!

I agree entirely, but I don’t think that was what Bhazor was getting at – The Last Express is not, after all, generally regarded as an easy game to whizz through. It’s the difference in design philosophy between (a) the classic text-adventure setup that provides you with a situation and some tools and tries to let you do whatever you want with that, even if it’s the ‘wrong thing’, and provide a sensible and hopefully entertaining response, and (b) the more linear story-driven structure where the focus is more on working out what the designer wants you to do next, which leads to chaff like Secret Files:Tunguska and Syberia 2 which generally won’t even acknowledge when you attempt something they didn’t have in mind.

• bill says:

does my post show up as Anonymous Coward? It shows up with my name here.
      Or is that something to do with the weird cross-referencing between the blog posts and the forum?

13. Krikey! says:

I’m a sucker for adventure games, but know this statement is unbiased: Beneath a Steel Sky = Win.

14. Hmm says:

If it WON’T be an adventure game, I’ll be ridiculously disappointed.

15. Heliocentric says:

The game will be a strategic level technical melee combat game, with quick time events.

16. RLacey says:

Surely they’re following the LucasArts model: remaster a game, and then release some weird Tetris-platformer hybrid with nice artwork.

Must be that, then.

17. Adam says:

I can’t wait for Beneath a Steel Sky (no number after it, that’d confuse people new to the series), an innovative FPS set in a grizzly sci fi world with regenerating health and a cover system, staring Robert Budweiser, in his tale to discover the alien artifacts hidden in a mythical vault, while combating hordes of zombies. Avalible on all platforms, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii, November 2010.

18. Rive says:

Consider me aroused.

19. Chiller says:

Yeah, BASS is awesome and whatnot, BUT what I really wanted to say was: there’s a typo in the article’s title.

20. Risingson says:

About BASS, I thought at the time that it began greatly and sank at the middle of the game because design irregularity: at a sudden you advanced too quickly, and then you faced three difficult puzzles in a row. Then the ending came too soon, but predated by the most difficult puzzles of the whole game.

But it has great details, like the “BE VIGILANT” phrase, or the simply beautiful backgrounds at the beginning.

• bill says:

yeah. that’s kind of what i felt.

I also think that i was expecting something more cyber-punk / post apocalyptic, and less involving having to seduce old upper class ladies.

The robot sidekick rocked though.

21. LionsPhil says:

YES. Please to be a straight, good old-fashioned pointy-clicky adventure game. Resist the temptations that have derailed Tim Schafer, resisssttt…

• LionsPhil says:

Also, yay for the SUBTITLES and their overexcitable CAPITALISATION for EMPHASIS:
      It’s WHEEZING and BANGING…like an asthmatic DINOSAUR in the MATING season.

22. L1ddl3monkey says:

YES I THINK IT MIGHT BE AN ADVENTURE GAME. WHY ARE WE SHOUTING?

• Gap Gen says:

To be heard over the sound of ADVENTURE

• JonFitt says:

WHAT? I CAN’T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF WALKER USING A KIPPER ON A DOG….

Ah, it didn’t work. That’s much quieter.

23. Cooper says:

I just did a little happy dance.

24. damian says:

Very exciting. I’m hoping to get a DS for Broken Sword DC.
    Though do you remember when Cecil said that “point & click is dead..?”, then made two terrible 3D Broken Sword sequels. I so hope he goes arty-old school on our retro loving asses.

25. Carra says:

The broken sword games are some of my favorites. Seeing a new game by its creator sure is great.