Borderlands Tweaks

By Jim Rossignol on October 30th, 2009 at 9:59 am.

I’ve been meaning to put up some Borderlands tweaking instructions all week, but I don’t think I could have done it better than this thread on the Gearbox forums. Thanks to Mr Berry for pointing that out to us. Crucially, one of the commands in there allows you disable the voice-comms for the game, so you can use something more sensible. We’ve had no word back from 2K/Gearbox on whether there will be a patch for that stuff, but I guess we’ll find out soon enough. If you are tweaking, don’t forget to back up the relevant files before you start editing, as there might be some problems with loss of keybinds and such. The other issue is port forwarding, the instructions for which are in this thread. If you’re having trouble hosting/connecting to co-op games then you probably need to get busy with that stuff. Sigh.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ChaosSmurf says:

Not to be that guy, but the fact that some of this stuff isn’t available in (say) the options is pretty bad. And good god, unskippable cutscenes? Come ooooooooooon.

It’s brilliant that there’s a community that can be bothered to do this though.

2. mootpoint says:

Mmmm, port forwarding. Another point to dedicated servers. Yeah yeah yeah OT I know.

3. toni says:

the game starts with [HIT ENTER TO START]……is there anything more to say ?

• Surgeon says:

yep, you can just click the left mouse button instead :)

• Tei says:

If one dev is reading this:

I don’t need you to tell me that ESC close a window. Or I only need that information once.

Not every button need the text of the command as a label [enter]lalala, [esc]yadda, [w]foo.

Make videos skypable. Theres no exceptions. Yea, even the class selecion bus thingie.

For ammo, Is a bit better the option “If I walk over it, my character automatically get it”. Oh… and give me a button to drop current weapon ammo.

Server browsers, for god sake. From Quake2 this has been perfect. Order by ping. Number of players. Playing something. It seems about the 90% of the server listed are people behind firewalls. The game sould detect a guy that can’t host, that have his ports closed, and show that the guy is “firewalled”… or warn the player. Hell.. even a webpage to test these ports is good. Tryiing to use upnp may help too.

Move the interface elements to the border. The current interface seems optimized for Old TV’s with round corners. …*cough*.. is 2009 guys, no one uses these old TV’s anymore. And PC gamers have *never* use then. Also the text color (white) is a bit too bright. A option to change is color will be nice. Hell… give me a “scale UI” thing, to scale the whole ui, fonts, icons, etc.. oh, and a change FOV.

So, Borderlands. What is this game? a AA title?, a indie game? a bad port? I think is a bad port, you guys are not new to creating games or lack the resources. Please make ports better. Hell.. some stuff, like change the default FOV can be done by a trained monkey in 2 min. Why the hell is the game released with the console fov default??????? I mean *loudvoice*WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS *loudvoice*.

Other than that, nice game :-)

• Gutter says:

Level 25 so far here, playing on PC because my bro’s XBOX RROD’d and we wanted to play coop. Equipped with 2 Iridian weapons (they rock) and a shotgun that can kill Typed Skags 2 levels above me with two round, and I didn’t see or care all those “problems”.

PC gamers are such whiners!

Escape, clicking X, who gives a fuck. Really… who does?

About Firewalls : Fucking routers will be the death of multi player PC gaming. It took me about 3 seconds to Google “Borderlands Port” to find the right ports to open, and I have no problem hosting games, even if I host them over wireless with a proxy. Complaining about this is really sad, because you need to do this IN EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL PC GAME, especially if you want to host games.

I’m pretty sure that the screen elements ARE placed like this on purpose to fit in as many TVs as possible, but those are console makers specifications, not the programmers’ whims. And I’m happy that they are, because when I play on a my PC connected to a projector, they are right where they should.

And the FOV? The game is perfectly playable with the default FOV. Yes, it might look better with a different value, but really, it’s not game breaking, far from it.

I agree with the skipeable video, but thats just nitpicking. I won’t use the character screen more than 4 times in all of this game’s life, I don’t care. Call me a lowly Console Player if you want, but apparently the snobish crowd is on PC now.

• JKjoker says:

like Tei said,

there is no freaking reason to force the player to pick up ammo or money, it is shared so whats the point ? just pick it up automatically either when walking near or just “suck” all ammo and money in a small radius, right now you spend 40% of the game looking at the ground picking up ammo, often missing enemies charging at you until they have already hit you

about the unskippable cutscenes, this is unforgivable, you can “skip” the video cutscenes by renaming the video files (a must unless you want to go insane watching those damn corporate logos every time), some of the others are skipable (i dunno what i clicked since i was flailing at the kb like mad but i skipped the bus scene before char selection after the video intro) but not all of them, and then there is the whole “tutorial” part (until you get the cars i guess) that is just plain PAINFUL to replay, come on guys, you make a game that is supposed to be replayed a hundred times and you force a long and boring running around tutorial on us ?

one thing Tei didnt mention, the forced use of page up and page down to read quest descriptions … what the hell ? use the damn mouse wheel, or WS or up and down or at least let me reassign them jeez

so far, it feels like a very crappy port , its like they never even thought about the replayability value and the single player mode gets tedious pretty fast (probably because the character development is so soulless and the always-charging-at-you enemies get really annoying, at least in coop the sometimes charge at somebody else), Torchlight kicks the crap out of borderlands at every single feature

• Post Maker says:

Seeing Gutter’s post about PC player bitching getting sandwhiched between two posts filled with PC player bitching is hilarious and a little heartbreaking.

• JKjoker says:

bah, i wouldnt bitch about specific features if i didnt like it, the game had HUGE potential but felt short in almost every way possible, its sad to say the least

• TotalBiscuit says:

Complaining about the complaining is stupid (I am now complaining about the complaining about the complaining). It is the PC version of the game, it is not unreasonable to suggest that folks expect it to be optimised for the platform it’s on. Defending negligence is just stupid. Yes, it’s a great game, but it’s a got a pile of stupid stuff that should have been dealt with before release, perhaps during that mythical ‘optimisation’ week. Yes, I also don’t appreciate being lied to.

• Nick says:

Ah yes, the week where they were optimizing it whilst it was sitting in retailers. Maybe the were working on a PC patch and.. no wait the 360 and PS3 versions are patched already but not the PC. Whoops.

• Fat says:

I don’t see how bitching about legitimate bitching makes any sense. Most games have the options to disable (or at least turn the volume to mute) in their ingame voice comms, options for vsync, etc. And no, you don’t have to forward ports on every PC game to host, very few… and i don’t recall a game where i had to forward about 10 ports/ranges.

But sure, go ahead and call PC gamers ‘snobs’ for complaining about things that should be included in a game. Personally i already went into the config files and did all the tweaking i needed, but the amounts of ports i had to forward was a bit silly.

• Fat says:

Oh, and yeah i have 2 x lvl 20s and a couple of them in their teen-levels. Great game, really one of the best and most absorbing experiences i’ve had in the past years, but the few problems that is has (mentioned above) really are schoolboy errors, imo. Just things that should be sorted and probably would have taken next to not time on someone’s lunch break to do, like adding a menu button for voice comms toggle, V-sync, etc. ;)

• Lagmint says:

“PC gamers are such whiners!”

You’re right, I should just accept the fact that I can’t host/join any multiplayer games. Maybe I should port forward for GAME FUCKING SPY. While I’m at it, let’s listen to some 90’s music while I use Mplayer.

• Gorgeras says:

“Complaining about this is really sad, because you need to do this IN EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL PC GAME, especially if you want to host games.”

Wut? I have a shelf stacked with multiplayer games that handled the ports for me and closed them when they were finished. Why is Borderlands a magic exception?

• CMaster says:

On the other hand, how would you feel, Gutter if you slotted a game in the 360, and discovered it was made for the PC and hadn’t had anything changed? So the text was too small to be comfortably readable. Everything is mouse driven, so to close windows like the inventory screen, you need to use your analogue sticks to move a cursor to a small X in the top right that is fiddly to hit. The options screen has a myriad of performance options, despite the fact that all 360s are the same and its a waste of time – although the game does default to a resolution that doesn’t display properly on most TVs. If there were more controls than buttons on the controller, but no way to map multiple actions to one button. Because those are the sorts of problems that Borderlands has.

Also, one that took the biscuit for me was the sliders for audio volume – you can’t drag them. Instead, have to use left and right arrows!

• invisiblejesus says:

That said, I’m loving the game, just not loving how much tweaking and tinkering and dicking around I’ve had to do to get it up to par with most other new AAA PC games.

• Psychopomp says:

Funny, I haven’t had to forward a port since 2000.

• Dave says:

Auto-picking up stuff would be a bad idea for multiplayer I expect. Still, a separate key for scooping up loot in a radius (as perfectly executed in Sacred), which does not also reload your weapon or activate items or enter a vehicle, would be nice.

No key for activating medical kits is just kind of weird. At the point where I am now I never use the things anyway, but it’s weird to have to pause the game and look at an inventory screen to do this.

All the other interface issues are pretty minor, though making more of those config things easily accessible would have been smart. Checkboxes for whether zoom and crouch are toggles, etc.

Despite the flaws I am loving the crap out of this game.

• JKjoker says:

Autopicking ammo and money would work perfectly since both do no take space and are shared among players, like it works now the game forces you to spend an unreasonable amount of time looking at the floor slowing down gameplay (im guessing this is even more annoying on consoles without mouse tho)

• Stromko says:

You can hold down ‘E’ over an item and it will pick up all ammo and cash near you.

• JKjoker says:

wrong

first you need to be aiming at an ammo piece (so you HAVE to look at the floor)
      and it doesnt pick up everything *near* you, only ammo *directly* in front of you and very very close
      it also picks up quest items and i think money (not 100% sure on that one)

it doesnt really make it any less annoying, it helps when picking up ammo from chest when its near, but when you are picking up drops they are usually not close enough to pick up at once

4. neems says:

It’s an awesome game, it just needs a little help is all. Disabling mouse smoothing, enabling V-synch and increasing FOV = win.

Just got my first rocket launcher – it has 3 round burst :-)

5. DaFox says:

I feel the same way, Its an amazing game… It’s just plagued by many many small annoyances. If those get patched out then its definitely a contender for GotY in my book.

• Zyrxil says:

I don’t know about GotY. It’s a nice implementation of Diablo loot in a shooter, but I don’t think it will last even 1% as long as Diablo 2 did. It doesn’t have randomly generated environments, the Co-op is badly done, the RPG elements are sparse, the classes and talents are too simple with only 1 active skill per class, and there’s Respawning. RESPAWNING. You just don’t do that in a shooter.

• Zyrxil says:

• Jazmeister says:

Respawning? IN A SHOOTER?

• invisiblejesus says:

It’s more likely than you think.

• DJ Phantoon says:

He must be trolling. Respawning is in every single shooter that can call itself a shooter.

• Vinraith says:

Are we talking about enemy respawn, or are we talking about Bioshock-style “I respawn but you’re still hurt” nonsense? What’s the penalty for dying?

• TotalBiscuit says:

You lose cash for dying and are ported back to the nearest New-U station. Enemies regain all their health iirc.

• Vinraith says:

So basically you lose cash and progress, sounds like pretty standard RPG stuff then. Thanks for the information TB.

6. neems says:

What I would dearly love is a way to quit out of ingame menus that doesn’t involve pressing escape (I use the cursor keys for movement, and no I’m not left handed).

7. Tei says:

The FOV is based on the distance from the monitor. The original FOV is for people playing at 2m from the monitor, I suppose on a sofa, with a control pad. But on a PC, keyboard, mouse, etc… Is the wrong FOV, and make my head hurt. Is not as bad in open areas, but is horrible in dungeons. I have w binded to move forward and reset FOV to 96. But is a bit glitchy in vehicles. I hope future game ports to PC remenber to change the FOV to something sane for a PC. We don’t play 2 meters away from the monitor here, guys.

• Dubbill says:

Thank you for pointing this out. I’d noticed that OpFlashpoint DR felt weird, as if my view was constantly zoomed in by 25%. I’m guessing that as another console port it has the same issue.

Seniath says:

Yeah. Nice “optimisation” guys…

9. Tzarkahn says:

What fun this game is, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Theoban says:

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM
      BLAM BLAM
      BLAM BLAM
      *cover*
      *reload*
      BLAM BLAM BLAM
      RAAAAAAGH
      *melees*

Theoban Agrees.

10. Rinox says:

I’m sad to say (God knows I love L4D and pre-ordered L4D2) but the demo for L4D2 suffers from the exact same problem. Weapons take up more of your perspective than in the original.

El_MUERkO says:

i was getting chronic tearing until i turned vsync on in the ini file

also turned on DX10 but i dont know if that does anything

and nicer bloom but i dont know if that does anything either

all i need now is some AA :)

12. Spoon says:

Thanks for this post. Those unskippable intro movies were driving me insane.

13. Heliosicle says:

I’m loving it, at 1st I wasn’t too sure but I’m in the areas past New Haven and its bloody awesome

add me Heliosicle please :D

14. KP says:

The unkillable in-game VOIP is terrible. It sounds like shit, you can’t disable it in normal options and worst of all, I couldn’t find a volume control slider! Who DOES that!? Thank goodness for ini fixes. I’ve recommended several people to not buy this game because it’s a pretty poor port. The voodoo it takes to get a multiplayer game going is the worst. The single-player isn’t fun and I didn’t buy this game for it so multiplayer better work.

15. Chris R says:

I wanted to punch baby ducks because of the unskippable Nvidia logo (FUCK OFF Nvidia) and other crap logos when you first load up the game, god those are awful. It makes me want to avoid those companies, especially Nvidia with all their marketing.

As neems mentions above : “Disabling mouse smoothing, enabling V-synch and increasing FOV = win.” Yes sir! I agree whole heartedly.

There is also a tweak that makes zoom a toggle option, so you don’t have to hold down the zoom key. That was ace as well.

And on port forwarding: C’mon guys, you’re on a PC, port forwarding just comes with the territory. If you can’t be buggered to figure out how and complain about it, then maybe you should use a simpler system? Consoles are for people that don’t want to tweak anything and expect things to work straight out of the box. The PC has always been about tweaking things to your liking (see all the tweaks/mods for any game, ever).

• JKjoker says:

killing the video files works wonders, the logos are 2K_logo.bik Gearbox_logo.bik and NVidia.bik, just rename them or delete them

• Lagmint says:

The last game I had to forward ports for was Rainbow Six. The original one. Seriously, why is it I can play L4D, Arma2, TF2, Killing Floor, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, QuakeLive, Stalker, Call of Duty 4, Counter Strike, Counter-Strike Source, Day of Defeat, HLDM, TFC, and Dawn of War without doing anything, but I need to ‘forward ports’ (and that is reported to not work by most people) for this one game?

Don’t even TRY to blame PC gaming here – this is laziness pure and simple.

• Chris R says:

Oh the videos where the first thing I went in and fixed, believe me. So all is good now. :) Baby ducks rejoice!

16. Tei says:

Clearly you are used to the ways a console work, so you see no problem with the game

Escape, clicking X, who gives a fuck. Really… who does?

People that are forced to use such awnfull system. Is a ankward key. Is the emergency button for wen everything else fails. is bad usability.

Fucking routers will be the death of multi player PC gaming. It took me about 3 seconds to Google “Borderlands Port” to find the right ports to open, and I have no problem hosting games, even if I host them over wireless with a proxy. Complaining about this is really sad, because you need to do this IN EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL PC GAME”

we need IPv6, but the ISP are lazy and greedy, NAT must go away, everyone sould own more than 10 ip address…

PC dont use analog old TVs, but monitors, i don’t like to have my 2009 games limited by the poorest quality 1984 tv’s. The UI get in the way, sould be moved to the sides.

but those are console makers specifications, not the programmers’ whims.

hence the bad port thingie, not fixing these console limits.

your proyector suck

no better, is not a eyecandy issue, people feel fisically sick with the current fov, I am one of these dudes. fortunally enough, it can be fixed with ini hackings

You are happy how consoles works, thats ok to me. but the PC work differently and changes sould be made to port to the PC.

17. Lagmint says:

Wait, didn’t Pitchford say in an interview that the PC version (to paraphrase) ‘would be optimized for it, because we know PC gaming’ etc etc’? This is the WORST port I’ve played since Assassins Creed. And the multiplayer is so bad I haven’t even been able to try it yet!

WHO THE FUCK USES GAMESPY. Sorry it has to be repeated as often and loud as possible.

• Fat says:

I’ve done 95% of my playing on multiplayer, it’s fun, though it’d be cooler if it increased the amount of enemies that spawn, rather than making them be able to kill you in a few shots (once you had 3-4 people they really hurt).

They made it use your Gamespy login name as your multiplayer ingame name also, which is a bit shitty as renaming your character on the New-U console does nothing, but ho hum.

Thing is, little things like all the complaints here are all so friggin easy to sort out. They could have ‘optimised’ all of the above complaints in a day, so they must have been chilling during the extra PC ‘week’ they took. =P

• Lagmint says:

I haven’t been able to connect to anyone on my friendslist in a game at all, ever. Once I was able to connect to my GF’s game, then we both crashed. I’ve tried on three PC’s, two of which had no routers at all, and the other people were Tech Support for their jobs, hahaha.

Seriously, 99% of these problems are exactly what I experienced when I was last using Gamespy. So fuck this /shrug.

I’ve been told it’s fun, but I wouldn’t know, because I can’t get it to work.

• Azradesh says:

Well I’m just glad it wasn’t live. :/

Don’t know why they just didn’t use steam and a server brower.

• Fat says:

Yeah it’s daft. I’m normally fine with Networking stuff, i just started my 2nd year of study in it at uni infact. I forwarded all the ports and such that i found were needed and yet it still won’t always work.

In the end i found the only SURE way to get it to work (at least with my setup, might be my router, it’s been a bit fiddly recently) is to put myself as the DMZ, enable uPNP on the router. Then i have to start the game, go to ”Host Private Game”, shut that lobby down, open the lobby again, THEN invite. For some reason it just times out for my friends if i don’t open the lobby a 2nd time.

Hopefully by the end of my study i can know why these voodoo things happen, already feel like i should. :D

18. Lagmint says:

Not to worry guys, there’s a PC fix incoming as well!

Issue: PC locking up when accessing server browser
    Status: Fixed!
    Solution: A hotfix for this issue has been discovered and is being applied. This hotfix is invisible – users don’t have to do anything for this to function properly. You should not experience this problem beyond 10/28

• Tei says:

This serverside fix looks to me sending a short list of entrys, so the UI don’t collapse. If you press E the list refresh with a new list of servers. Is also a good idea to try these of high level players of people that talk about “open ports” on the server name.

19. drakkheim says:

Unfortunately the multiplayer is pretty horked. And no, not just the ports (which was a hassle and inexcusable in this day and age. Sorry, but I can host & join every other AAA title without doing this, it looks like the devs haven’t learned anything from SupCom and Demigod, ie. requiring ports and whatnot will kill your online community faster than digital ebola.)

The server browser is terrible and never lists all the games, and some people just can’t join games at all.

My buddy can host (but connections drop after 5 min) but he can’t join any game at all and all his settings are correct and open, it just doesn’t work for him.

Luckily on my pc everything works like a charm and multiplayer is a blast. Except that I can’t play with my friend.. which was kinda the point.

Oh and if you have SLI it’s 50/50 if it’ll work for you, but that’s par for the course with SLI I guess.

20. Vinraith says:

Ugh. I hate to say it, but this is exactly what I was afraid of when they started announcing DLC packs before they even released the game. I hope they get to patching this, and showing some real support for the PC version of the game. I’d hate to end up passing on it, underneath the issues it looks like a fantastic game.

Wisq says:

I’m surprised at the number of games that still mess up VoIP, where seeing it disabled right on the server and replaced with TeamSpeak (etc.) servers is the norm rather than the exception.

I’d have thought we’d have plenty of examples of how to do it right by now, and plenty of reasonably-priced (or even free) implementations for new games to choose from, by now.

22. Vinraith says:

For small groups (2 or 3 players) I’ve never found an in-game voice system that was superior to just linking up on Skype before entering the game. Since I don’t really play with pick up groups, in-game VoIP isn’t something that concerns me much. If you’re going to advertise a game as drop-in drop-out multiplayer, though, it’s pretty obvious a significant portion of your users are going to be utilizing in-game chat, and it’s kind of criminal not to ensure it works well before releasing.

23. Chris R says:

On port forwarding. The difference lies with hosting the game on your own computer, that’s where the issue pops up. Most of the games connect you and your friends to an outside dedicated server (like L4D, COD4, TF2 to name a few), so there is no need to forward ports. However, when YOU are the server and others are connecting to your machine (as in Borderlands, COD:W@W for Nazi Zombies, hosting your own Synergy/HL2/whatever dedicated server, etc), then port forwarding becomes an issue. If you are the “dedicated server”, then ports must be opened to allow others to connect to you.

I wouldn’t be surprised if COD:MW2 has the exact same problems on PC as Borderlands with regards to port forwarding issues. We shall see!

• Wooly says:

Oh wow. I’ve played all those games and with all of them tried and failed to host MP games. I never knew why until now. Man, I feel stupid.

24. unclelou says:

I’d hate to end up passing on it, underneath the issues

To be fair, I am finding them to be “minor annoyances” surrounding the game rather than issues. The game itself looks, runs and plays exceptionally well. It’s not Batman: AA when it comes to the quality of the port, but it sure isn’t RE4, either.

Your mileage may vary, but it’s nothing that should stop anyone from getting it who finds the game itself appealing.

• Vinraith says:

I’d mainly be buying it to play with a friend, so the multiplayer connectivity stuff is a real concern.

Hopefully they’ll just get it all hammered out and it won’t be a thing.

25. Pygme/Frosty says:

A nice idea but some people in the sticks like me still only have a 512 connection meaning running anything else in the background that uses up Internet connection brings mega lag. So no Skype for me in game.

26. Sunjammer says:

Kinda heartbroken by this PC port. What they did with the UI is absolutely ghastly. Mousewheel in some but not all text boxes? PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN to scroll!? SOMETIMES you can click to continue, but often you have to hit esc? Missing mouse-over states for some buttons?

Last but not least.

GAMESPY!?!?! What!?

27. Hug_dealer says:

As a real PC gamer. i knew what i was getting into when i saw it using Gamespy. already had my ports opened and havent had a problem.
    I also knew that it was UT3 engine, so i went in and personally changed all the features i wanted and needed.
    There is nothing wrong with the FoV, or the UI. All i see area bunch of cry babies.
    You can tell and old school gamer from the new crop of gamers, claiming to be old school or know everything about pc gaming. I'm not being elitest, nothing wrong being a newer gamer, but all they do is want want want. Us old school, instead of crying for things to get done, we do it ourselves.

• leederkrenon says:

I ENTERED A POKE TO INCREASE THE MOVEMENT SPEED, BUT THEN I GOT AN R: TAPE LOADING ERROR. WHEN IS THE FREAKING PATCH COMING OUT???!?!?!1/1

• Primar says:

So it’s ok that I’ve had to spend 3 hours getting the game into a state that I feel comfortable with? What? I am a PC gamer. I don’t mind installing, patching, the odd bit of troubleshooting when something goes slightly wonky. I fully understand each PC is different, and what works for most people might fall over for someone else. But honestly? This shit is retarded. This is stuff common to all PCs that should have been sorted, and hasn’t.

Come on, it’s not even like we’re asking for amazing cutting edge shit here. This is basic nuts-and-bolts UI polish and despite what they’ve been trying to tell us, this is not a good PC port by any stretch of the imagination.

If you’re seriously telling me that I am a “crybaby” because I am hacked off that I had to edit a .ini file to turn off unskippable intro movies, make crouch on-press, make the mouse wheel work in text boxes(!) etc etc, then I’m a crybaby.

And honestly, I paid £27 for this. Damn fucking right I expect basic things like that to work. Why? Because EVERY OTHER PC GAME CAN DO IT.

You go back to your world where you have to spend 3 hours to get a game in a normal state, and are so clearly proud of it. I’ll hope for a world where gaming is fun, as opposed to a chore.

28. Promii says:

Does anyone else just hate the UE3 engine? Every game I’ve played based on UE3 has been a pain to configure and even then there seems to be some mouse accel weirdness that I can’t get rid of. Also, where’s my anti-aliasing? No in-game options for it and even trying to force it usually doesn’t work with ATi cards. Source, idTech4 or CryEngine2 would have been much better.

29. Hug_dealer says:

Anonymous Coward said:

Anonymous Coward said:

UE3 engine is actually quite powerful and extremely useful. You can rename your .exe to get AA, or just force it in nhancer for nvidia, or wait for them to patch it in the drivers. Mouse accel can be turned off if you edit the INI file also.

30. Tei says:

I think is not constructive to label then crybabys.
    You can change the fov, but it reset every time you enter/exit vehicles, warp, etc.
    The people that can’t play games online, I don’t know what is the problem, but labeling that is like unfair.

I bet you own a console, so your opinion is tainted, because you don’t see anything beyond what is normal to you, on your hibrid setup.

31. Hug_dealer says:

my opinion is tainted because i have been pc gaming for more than half my life and im only 26 now?
    i own a snes and a sega. I dont own any other consoles, and never have.
    I see what is normal for pc gaming since the beginning. There are those who dont because they only started a few years ago. They think that CS and Cod are when online gaming started.
    I call them cry babies because thats what they are. They assume that everything should work without any help on thier own. That is against the very nature of PC gaming. Its the hybrid gamers that start playing on the PC and dont understand why something isnt working right, and immediately assume that it is nothing on thier end or under thier control, and simply blame the devs for things.

• Promii says:

Mouse SMOOTHING can be turned off in the INI, that’s a different thing. Yes you can use nhancer to force AA with nVidia cards, but nothing really works for ATi cards in DX9. Also you can’t rename the .exe of games you bought off Steam.

• Chris R says:

Also, for the record, I agree with some of what Hug is saying here. Especially this part:

“They assume that everything should work without any help on thier own. That is against the very nature of PC gaming. Its the hybrid gamers that start playing on the PC and dont understand why something isnt working right, and immediately assume that it is nothing on thier end or under thier control, and simply blame the devs for things.”

I completely agree with this statement. If you want to game on the PC, you have to understand that just about everything will take some trouble shooting to get working properly. It comes with the territory. If someone doesn’t want to deal with that, then the best thing is to just play on a console. There really isn’t any other better option. You either invest the time to research and troubleshoot for the PC, or decide to play in a strictly controlled console environment where nearly every variable has been eliminated.

• Psychopomp says:

On the other hand, it’s still a shoddy port, and to deny that is lunacy.

• Lagmint says:

I guess I am just a whiney ‘hybrid’ (who only plays on PC, and has for 20 years) player because I cant get GAME FUCKING SPY to connect me to an online game. After port forwarding to 1999, too.

32. Tei says:

Hello Mr. Hug :-). you sould not call people names just because you *think* people are this and that, 1) because you could be wrong, and be for nothing. 2) because it don’t help. 3) it create problems for you and for other people. 4)it adds nothing to a discussion, only noise.
    What you end doing, looks much like a straw man argument. He…. do I **really** have to link the wikipedia article here? seems so :-/
    You seems, like you need to read it.

I am programmer, I started programming at 9 years old, I am 35 years old now. If a game is broken the way is broken in Borderlands, sure, give me the source code and I may fix a thing here and there… I am not new to game engine coding… but is not my job, I pay other people to fill that roll. And wen these other people do is job poorly, and I have paid such guy, I have the right to whine to him. I also have the right to use the freedom of speech, to vent my opinion about his game.

The game is very good, Is still to see if theres some replayability (It don’t look much better than Hellgate London, that has almost none). But the game is a poor port. It could be lazyness, It could be lack of the key people that understand how games are made on the PC, so use whatever know about consoles on the PC. It could be that is a task assigned to the low bidder, so is a quick and dirty task. I don’t know, I know only the result, and has this, and this, and this other, and that other, and all these problems… some are game breaking bugs, like that bug that remove all the skills from your character. That is a severe bug, and everyone that has been hit by it, has all the rights on the world to complain really loud, is a fucking fucked bug. People that can’t play online, again, is a really ugly problem. I don’t know why or how, maybe you have to blame these people computer setups but seems the game is creating more problems than other games. The game FOV, how is that excusable? is just a number in a text file, theres nothing easier to change. I could understand not chaning it in Bioshock, if the maps are compiled in a way, that maybe a different FOV value… but the game already have bigger FOV values support!.. is just that the ranges for 4:3 and 16:9 are wrong, are too low, and designed for people that don’t exist, people that play with the screen 3 metters away. Since the games have these problems. You don’t see any problem, fine, maybe you are used to how these console ports work, so your head don’t hurt if you play with a very low FOV. Try to change the FOV you are using on a game from 70 (or whatever you like to use) to 50 and play with that, that way you will understand how all other people feel.

Hope we can be friends from now on, else…

• Promii says:

• Chris R says:

Lol, don’t get him started!! Tei’s right about all the things he mentions though. Fortunately we can tweak the config files to fix most of the small things that are annoying: mouse smoothing, fov, toggle zoom, disable voice, make quest boxes mouse wheel scrollable… there are fixes for all those things. Hopefully Gearbox comes along and patches those into the game in a much more official way, but I am glad I’m on the PC where I can tweak and change things to my hearts content.

Also, this game is awesome.

• Gutter says:

@Tei : Nothing you wrote there makes me think that you aren’t a cry baby.

Many high profile games made for PC have the same problem, and even worse one (remember Pool Of Radiance erasing the Window partition when uninstalling?). The “I Am An Engine Developer” high horse just doesn’t cut it, you should be the first to realize that the game being a console port has nothing to do with anything.

About the FOV : You are right, it’s an easy value to change. As such, what make you think that they didn’t change it out of laziness?

I hope that you realize that shit storms like this is the reason why game developers only care about people who play more than 3 meters away these days.

• Psychopomp says:

>PC game obviously designed around a console
      >Being a console port has nothing to do with it

How is it in fantasy land?

• Tei says:

“Tei, what is your take on Gearbox’s claim that Borderlands was developed for PC first and then ported to consoles?”

I will not say is a lie, and pure bullshit, because the world is byzarre like that, and maybe is true, but…

33. Lagmint says:

“Lets see that list buddy. Cause im pretty sure i can explain why each of those games did if for you. Some people dont understand what peer to peer is, or what dedicated servers are, or network hosting is.”

Counter strike, Counter-strike source, TF2, L4D, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Quake Live, day of Defeat, Natural Selection, Arma 2, Killing Floor, RTCW, Stalker, Call of Duty 4, HLDM, TFC, Dawn of War.

There, please explain who those work out of the box (or the steam) for me.

• Gutter says:

They work when trying to maintain a server for private games, or because they use dedicated servers setup by people who know what they are doing (or they wouldn’t be running a server)

I’ll have you note as well that nearly all the game in that list are listed on sites like portforward.com. So yes, someone, somewhere had to find those ports at some point because they were experiencing connection problems.

• Lagmint says:

Considering I was in the DoD, Red Orchestra (forgot to mention that), Natural Selection betas, and played CS from beta (8? I cant recall which), RTCW from launch, Stalker from when it was first multi, CoD4 on release (what a mistake that was, not a fun game for me), Dawn of War launch, TF2/L4D Launch… and never had to forward ports!

Also didn’t have to for the launch of whatever it was called Typhoon Rising. Cant recall the name.
      I’ve mentioned it before, but the only game I’ve had to forward ports for was Rainbow Six, the first one. Seriously, you can say all the reasons you want I didn’t have to before, twenty+ years of gaming leads me to believe this isn’t just ‘my fault.’

34. Hug_dealer says:

Lagmint said:

There, please explain who those work out of the box (or the steam) for me.

i see you have basically done dedicated server playing apparently. The fact is as gutter has said, most of those are on port forward. I am willing to bet that if you had tried the majority of those on peer to peer instead of a dedicated server, you would have had more problems.

You also might have the magical PC that doesnt have problems. I luckily have one of those also. The fact is that if those are listed on port forward, then obviously there might be some port problems for those games.

35. Lilliput King says:

““The port forwarding is actually pretty normal for hosting a PC game. It’s true of all source games (except for L4D) for example.”

There’s a reason L4D is an exception; no other Source games that I’m aware of are in any way geared towards playing locally hosted games. Sure, you can do it, but do you actually know anyone who plays locally hosted TF2 games on a regular basis? I don’t. The game should at least use UPnP.”

InvisibleJesus writes the truth, Hug. You’d do well to read it. The game is geared towards being playable by a group of four friends, rather than on a dedicated server. It ought to handle this so we don’t have to and make it play nice, like L4D does. UPnP would be a good start.

Incidentally, even when I forward my ports, my friends and I can’t all get in the same server. Bit of a shit launch, really.

36. kyrieee says:

I'm seriously enjoying this too much to be upset about how sloppy the port it
    At least it runs alright =)

37. Gorgeras says:

As much as I want to play the game and think it is a great game, I’m not going to play through it with the kind of distractions it forces on me. I’ll be waiting for a patch and hope Gearbox start immediately on making changes to the PC version that actually made it more PC-friendly once they’ve finished with the bugs.

• Gorgeras says:

Oh and I just found this posted on Gearbox’s Boderlands forum:

“Gearbox’s Steve Gibson made an official announcement to Destructoid and stated that Borderlands would be released for download on Steam. Gibson also mentioned that the desktop release would include several features that will definitely not be seen on home console versions. Weapons can be exported via item cards in .jpg format, so if players collect a weapon of mass awesomeness that no one in their circle of friends has, they’ll be able to share it with them. In addition to that interesting feature, Borderlands for the PC will come with special menu and inventory systems designed exclusively around the mouse input option. Another little extra is the addition of timedemo benchmark software, which is exclusive to the PC. Last, but certainly not least, if played on a high-end system, the PC version of Borderlands will show off the most impressive graphics of all three versions of the game”

Don’t make meh angry on the internet. You won’t like meh when I’m angry…on the internet.

38. malkav11 says:

Tweaking in-game settings comes with the territory of being a PC gamer. Fiddling with drivers comes with the territory of being a PC gamer. Going into the .ini files to make basic changes that actual PC games put in their damn menus does not. (Doing it for obscure hacks does, admittedly.) Keyboard centric and unalterable UI details do not. Port forwarding does not, not anymore – I’m sure, back in the bad old days of 1996 or whenever, it was a crucial skill, but it is simply not how most games handle things anymore. And, frankly, Borderlands PC multiplayer is borked even beyond simple port forwarding.

Ammo is not shared in multiplayer, btw, so autocollecting it would be bad. Money is and should be autocollected, though.

And speaking of unskippable movies – the logo parade can be dumped, thankfully, but if you take more than a few seconds to press enter/click, the intro movie of the game starts playing. And is at least a minute long. And you guessed it, -that- is also unskippable.

For people who are having trouble getting into multiplayer, GameRanger now supports Borderlands, and I hear it works beautifully.

39. Hug_dealer says:

i hate to break it to you but, what l4d does is put your party in dedicated servers nearly all the time, that is why its easy to connect to.
    I'm not saying that this game couldnt be enhanced further, but the problems alot of people are having involve drivers and problems with thier system, not always with the game. I'm sure there are tons of bugs that need to be fixed.
    The days of pc only releases is basically over.
    The intro movie is skippable, done it plenty of times. As for the other movies, i agree they should be skippable, and probably will be, but the first thing i did was delete them all before hand, like i do all my pc games.

40. vagabond says:

As people have mentioned, any game that uses a dedicated server will not require port forwarding, however it seems to me that peer to peer is becoming more and more common, so I’d suggest we’re going to see a lot more games become the victim of this sort of “Day One and I can’t play multi-player!” angst. Modern Warfare 2 will presumably be affected due to the lack of dedicated servers.

I’d be interested to know why there is a push towards peer to peer. I assume that it lowers the cost of the game post release for the publishers, and allows the game to live on past the point where no-one is willing to run servers anymore, but is that all there really is to it?
    (and frankly I’d rather the L4D model as a solution to the later issue)

As an aside, if you are hosting Borderlands games without needing to have set up port forwarding on your modem/router/whatever, I’d suggest that the only thing between you and your PC getting raped by worms and script kiddies is the Windows firewall. I don’t know how secure the Vista/Win7 firewall is, but I know how secure every previous Microsoft OS has been when directly exposed to the internet, so I’ll stick with the occasional hassle of updating my router config…

41. Hug_dealer says:

the l4d model is dedicated servers(there is an option to host locally, but it is then subject to port forwarding as it becomes peer to peer).
    peer to peer has been the norm for rts games, and most rpg games that support online. Large fps games that a connect 32 or more players are for the most part all dedicated servers.

• invisiblejesus says:

Hug, I know how L4D works. I’ve clocked quite a bit of time on it. I’m aware that the default for L4D is to connect to a dedicated server. I’m also aware that if you choose to host locally, you can do so without forwarding ports. That’s a fact. Obviously using a dedicated server is preferable (my friends and I rent one out, actually), but you can host locally without port forwarding. Whether that’s because it uses UPnP or because of some Steam voodoo, I don’t know, I’m not a tech. But it works.

42. neems says:

Supposedly Half Life 2 (and presumably some other Source games) deliberately have a narrower FOV than is standard on PC first person shooters, something to do with how close you stand to NPCs?

43. Dante says:

I don’t think people would be complaining too much about the port forwarding if the game didn’t persist in not working after they’d been forwarded.

• malkav11 says:

I totally would be. Port forwarding is an enormous pain in the ass, especially with my DSL modem/router’s terrible interface (I’d replace it if I could). And especially if you have to forward multiple noncontiguous ports.

But the part where even that doesn’t necessarily work is of course the worst part.

44. Dante says:

You know, I can live with poor UIs, FoV problems, unskippable intro movies, poor voice chat and all the rest. It annoys me, but I can handle it.

What I can’t handle is that despite following the port forwarding instructions, I still can’t play online with my friends. That’s it, that’s the whole of it, just so long as I can get the multiplayer actually working the rest can go hang.

• CMaster says:

Only the host needs to do the port forwarding, but the host MUST do it.
      Make sure you deactivate/allow through Borderlands with any software firewalls too.

45. Frye says:

Thanks for the links. The bEnableMouseSmoothing=True to false setting did wonders for me. As with all UT3 based games, i am less than happy about the framerates i’m getting. I’m playing with everything turned off except dynamic shadows on an amd x2 5000 with a fast gfx card Only way i could get a consistent 25+ fps. The UT3 engine just hates my hardware, always has. Just waiting for the i7’s to drop a little bit more in price.

The game is wonderful though. Finally something to play with my mates again, something i sorely missed since quitting wow.

46. Hug_dealer says:

it is not possible for borderlands to work the way that l4d does then. L4d is using Steams match making service, unavailable to any one elses games.

Also of note. they have figured out how to disable black outlines. Its in the tweak thread the was linked.

47. malkav11 says:

By the way, as much bitching as I’ve been doing about the state of the PC version (and that state is criminally underbaked), the game is a damn fine game in most respects. New guns can make for dramatic differences in play, battles are often intense and close-fought, death animations are superb, there’s tons of enemy variety even if so far that’s been within a few basic types, bosses are mostly epic…

• Gorgeras says:

Oh yes from what little I’ve played, the game is great. Let me make this clear, I make no complaints at this time about the game.

It’s those bits in between me and the game that’s making me angry…on the internet.

48. maicon says:

the jump tweak is a relief. i know that pandora isn’t earth, but everyting feels physically fine, or earth like, in the game, except for the jump.

49. nd says:

Nothin more to say other than toni is a dumbass.

50. Doddy says:

If anyone else is interested in creating private games, best way ive found to do it so far is using hamachi.
    Create your own network etc, get your friends to join then whoever is hosting starts up their game first and creates a private game
    Everyone else has to modify their desktop shortcuts in the properties and then the target, on the end of all the “*path to borderlands” put the ip from hamachi of the person hosting.

So
    Say i was on the network, someone whose hamachi IP was 5.123.123.123 was hosting
    and for some reason my borderlands exe was directly in c:\borderlands then my target should look like
    “C:\borderlands\borderlands.exe” 5.123.123.123

When the other players start up the game they should get automatically joined to the game