Magic: The Gathering – Tactics Announced

By Kieron Gillen on November 2nd, 2009 at 11:15 pm.

Ah, you may see my terrible photoshop stuff at play here as there's no grabs. I really don't care. That's just the punk rock way I roll.

Hmm. The title’s so long that there’s no room for bad punning (“Hi Card” is what I was going to go for, which is a bit of a stretch, but it’s late). Anyway – Mananation broke the story even before the actual website was up (it is now). Basically, Sony are taking Wizards of the Coast’s famous collectible-card-game-thingy and doing an MMO with it. They’re promising single player scenarios and PvP action (with a “robust tournament environment”), but specific details are thin on the ground. Read the press-release if you fancy decoding them. My reading is very much “Magic: The Gathering… online” rather than a complete translation, but that’s just a reading. We’ll know soon enough though – it’s due for an early 2010 release. You’ll find the teaser beneath the cut…

In other Wizards-related matters… does anyone know when on earth the actual virtual board for D&D 4th edition is actually going to be released? Surely it’s getting a bit silly now.

, , .

1. Railick says:

This news just in Magic: The Gathering – Tactics has been cancelled. Sadly the magic had already been gathered and there was none left for an yet another MMO.

The funny thing is WoW could probably destroy Magic: The Gathering's trade card/game market by releasing a WoW based Card dueling game (infact they probably already have one I know they've got a board game) But I doubt Magic will be able to put a dent in the market and even get enough players to exist for a year or more. I doubt this will ever even get out of closed alpha testing before everyone involved comes to their senses.

If I'm wrong I'll buy a life time subscription to this MMORPG to admit that I'm wrong (And never play it, not even once, unless I can be Uzra , then I'll play it)

• Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

If I remember correctly there’s not only a WoW card game, but also a series of “Raid Decks” where multiple players play off against one very powerful player who takes on the role of, essentially, a Gamemaster in a tabletop RPG.

Penny Arcade had a thing on it. Magic is still going strong, by the way.

• Kester says:

Yeah, the WoW trading card game was pretty big a couple of years ago. It was the first CCG in ages that’s looked like it might actually have staying power, but I don’t know whether it’s still going strong now.

2. Jahkaivah says:

This probably wont surprise you then.

3. the wiseass says:

“What happens when you put dramatic voice over a generic trailer … well … a shitty trailer”.

Honestly, as somebody who has played MTG up until Urza’s Saga, I hope this MMO will be all about playing the cards game. But then again, an MMO about playing cards sounds as exciting to me as a dishwashing simulation.

4. cheeba says:

I really wish they’d port over that recent xbla effort, looked like some decent, approachable card-gaming fun. As opposed to, say, the fuck-off-newbie hellish money-vortex that is MTGO. As for this? That trailer’s godawful, but 3D turn-based combat sounds interesting. I’m hoping they go for a PoxNora-style tactical game, rather than just card battling with fancy graphics.

5. cheeba says:

Also, is it actually an MMO? Sounds a lot more like your average expandable strategy game, a la PoxNora.

6. Foucault says:

Wizards have shifted priorities for their Digital game materials. Right now they’re making programs like the Character Builder, Monster Builder, and Online Rules Compendium that facilitate any kind of play, online or off. I’ve had them for a while and they make running the game so much easier. Then they’re going to work on a suite called Adventure Tools, which will be for managing NPCs, maps, and game content. Once they have that they’ll go back to the 3D Digital Game Table, and you’ll be able to import all your work from the Adventure Tools. So basically they’re building a digital rules and content engine first, then they’ll add the graphics. After all you can play D&D without 3D, but 3D without a Dungeon Master? That’s not D&D.

7. Psychopomp says:

“In other Wizards-related matters… does anyone know when on earth the actual virtual board for D&D 4th edition is actually going to be released?”

If any trace being completely removed from the website is any indication, never.

Also, let’s try not to turn this thread into an edition war.

• Lobotomist says:

Yes. That was completely and utterly FAIL from Wizards.

Whole 4th edition was based and linked to idea you will be able to play it online with friends.

Its amazing they are unable to put it out?

I mean how complicated can that be to make ?

8. maykael says:

@Railick

Wow has a trading card game for about 2-3 years now and it’s miles below Magic: The Gathering. Also it hasn’t destroyed anything. In fact, the Magic community is thriving.

9. Ryx says:

TACTICS!!!

ADDING TACTICS TO A GAME TITLE MAKES IT GOOD!

….

TACTICS!

• moyogo says:

It sure worked for fallout!
      But for serious, it did work for final fantasy.
      What else am I missing?

• Vinraith says:

Fallout: Tactics was a better game than people give it credit for, it just wasn’t the Fallout sequel a lot of people wanted.

• Psychopomp says:

SOUNDS FAMILIAR

10. Dominic White says:

As some bright spark has already said, this already exists – it’s called Poxnora, and it’s really good and probably better balanced than M:TG ever was.

11. ZIGS says:

Well, this trailer was horrible

12. Vinraith says:

I kind of miss the old days back when I played Magic (in the mid-90′s), but the old late 90′s PC game is more than sufficient to scratch the itch when it comes up. If this was on a no-subscription model I might be interested in giving it a look, but it almost certainly won’t be.

13. blobulon says:

You know, if Wizards has the sense to pull an actual tactics game out of the card game, this might be something I would pay attention to.

Think Magic, except every battle (attack/defense action) is fought similarly to the way Archon for NES handled chess piece battles .

14. Railick says:

I believe I gave up on MTG When my friend at school put together a sliver deck that was more or less unkillable and my other friend had some sort of trick deck that let him kill you with infinite damage after 3 turns or something crazy like this. : P

I'd play Yugioh (or however that is spelled) if it were like it is in the cartoon where I can actaully summon monsters in front of me and have them kill each other, other than that I'm pretty much done with trading card games. (Although I'm going to try and get Munchkin soon but that isn't really a trading card game, just a card game)

15. Lagmint says:

What the hell was that REALLY old magic PC game? The RPG one.

• Lagmint says:

Oh and at trailer:

HHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

That is some of the most godawful work I’ve seen on a character. That dragon looked like bad claymation, what the hell happened?

16. Railick says:

Wait I'm sorry that wasn't the name it was this
    Also there is Master of Magic which has a lot of stuff from Magic the Gathering (a lot of the spell names were the same for example)

Shadowcat “It hammers at my retinas like an evil woodpecker of pure energy”

17. sebmojo says:

I just want to know where my Fire Emblem style 4e tactics game is. Come on, the system’s already written, get with it people.

18. gryffinp says:

Why would you do that?

19. Frank says:

Sony, eh? What about the excellent developers at Mind Control Software? See here: http://www.mind-control.com/news.php?articleID=25

20. Animystic says:

I feel it necessary to bring everyone’s attention to the name of the website this was found on. Mananation. I understand it’s mana-nation, but they’re just plain stupid to not see how dumb it looks
    (Ma-na-na-tion)

21. kitchendon says:

I’m a reformed MTG card addict..err I mean I used to play MTG. I still play occasionally, but I dont let myself buy any cars, or keep track of new sets. o.O

I agree, that old Microprose game is the best version I have played in video game form. I think I played the Spells of the Ancients expansion version.

I gave the online version of the card game a try for several months – but the virtualization sort of robbed the game of it’s soul. There was very little interaction between players, most choosing never to speak at all. It was like playing bots online rather than sitting across from an opponent. I missed the fun of commenting on the cards and the other social aspects, I guess.

22. RuySan says:

Wizards should fix the Online game before releasing any more stuff. It passed one year and half since the release of version 3 and Leagues haven’t been reintroduced yet.

23. Jon says:

First thing I thought when I saw this “Isn’t there already an Magic The Gathering MMO?” and yes, there is. It’s called [unsurprisingly] Magic The Gathering Online http://www.wizards.com/Magic/digital/Article.aspx?x=magic/moliii2/download

So um, what’s this new Tactics game about then?

24. Gothnak says:

ARGH…….. I have wanted an MMOCCG for AGES…. Start with a crap deck, wander the land, play games of cards against enemies, win cards, build your deck, play and trade with other people, take on bosses.. You don’t BUY a single card with real money, but it does have a subscriction cost…..

So, MTG does an MMO, and it ISN’T the card game….

FFS!

25. Railick says:

Best card based game that is isn't a card game is Arcanum

26. Ghil says:

Just a head’s up, but both can be resolved with Eye to Eye and mirror. That’s the force of magic, you can always kick the hell out of the other’s strategy if you know what you are doing.

27. Cpt.Average says: