DoW2: Chaos Rising, A Tasty Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on November 3rd, 2009 at 7:35 pm.

Some games are like potatoes. I can’t say I really care about potatoes, but I nonetheless accept them as a key part of my diet. I’d miss them if they were deleted from reality by some kind of gastronomic demon chef. So it is with certain games, such as Dawn of War 2. I was a little underwhelmed by it, but nevertheless played the game to completion, and devoured a few weeks of multiplayer. There’s also no doubt that the expansions for said game are going to be a key part of my gaming diet in the years to come, with each one being consumed in full as they come out. Chaos Rising might not do anything particularly interesting with the template carved by Relic for Dawn Of War 2, but it’ll nonetheless prove eminently palatable. Man, I totally haven’t had my dinner yet. I’m going to have fajitas. They’re going to be exquisite!

Also, I arsed up this post earlier. The code is valid from Wednesday.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Lagmint says:

I think Chaos Marines have some of my favourite quotes ever. I look forward to this greatly…

2. Vinraith says:

I’m still waiting for an interesting single player campaign (read as: metamap), an interesting 2-player co-op mode, or both. I suppose the former took until the second expansion for the original DoW, so at this point I guess I’ll hope for a repeat.

3. Choca says:

Sanity is for the weak, and stuff.

4. ChampionHyena says:

Huh. I was JUST reading GameSpot’s hands-on with the new campaign.

Looks like Eliphas the Inheritor is the new (old) villain this time ’round. Which is fitting, since all the other Dawn of War Chaos Lords are equal parts stupid and dead.

5. Mashakosha says:

Looking nice. Less shiny, which is good. And is that Eliphas? Are we going to hear more of the METAL BOXES?

• ChampionHyena says:

No, alas, that was Firaeveus Carron. Eliphas is the one who wasn’t a ridiculous brain-dead cock-up.

6. army of none says:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Also, do want.

• Idle Threats and Bad Poetry says:

Do you mean Armok?

• Idle Threats and Bad Poetry says:

I have trouble with the “Men in ridiculously big suits of apparently heavy armor with especially big shoulder pads” thing. I know it’s in StarCraft, too, but it just seems so juvenile.

• TotalBiscuit says:

That sounds like heresy to me.

7. Hug_dealer says:

only 1 thing better than spess mahrens. Evil Spess mahrens.

i've been craving chaos since i found out they werent in the original.

8. Mad Doc MacRae says:

It’ll be interesting to see how (if at all) they change gameplay against a theoretically more even fight. All the baddies in the original DoW2 have to rely on numbers more than the Space Marines, while one on one the Chaos Space Marines are supposed to be a match, right?

• Lagmint says:

Aren’t Chaos Marines BETTER 1 on 1 due to their extreme old age? All of them are from the Heresy, which makes them old. That’s a lot of combat experience.

• jsutcliffe says:

Not necessarily. I think I could probably beat up my uncle, who has a ton of combat experience from WWII.

• Baris says:

Are the cons of aging pretty much irrelevant to your uncle? If not, it’s not exactly a fair comparison.

• jsutcliffe says:

He has alzheimers, which probably helps him not be aware of some of those cons if that counts.

• Severian says:

best comment thread ever

• Aftershock says:

Pretty much, although Chaos have the advantage of the powers of the warp, and Marines generally have better vehicles, heavy weapons etc. It’ll be interesting to see how they do it. If it’s just smurfs stomping all over my chaos marines i’ll be pissed.

• Crush says:

Lagmint not all Chaos marines are old most are newer recruits either from slaves or recent fallen/traitor marines assimilated into the chaos warband.

Also Space Marines can live to a very long life too in fact theres one hero unit in the Ultramarines who was still alive during the Horus Heresy but I cant recall his name.

9. jsutcliffe says:

How can you not care about potatoes? My opinion of you just went down a notch, Mr. Rossignol.

ordteapot says:

Hey Monsignor Rossignol,

If you are feeling adventurous here is a suitably Chaos blood god looking drink to go with those fajitas:

A “Michelada”
    ——————
    One can/bottle lager of your choice
    Half a cup of tomato juice
    1 squeezed lime
    a jot of hot sauce (Tabasco or similar)
    a jot of worcestershire sauce
    2 or 3 jots of soy sauce
    some ice cubes

Put this all in a chilled Imperial pint glass, stir it up.
    Drink and pretend you live on the Mexico/Texas border.

• jsutcliffe says:

That is weird — tomato juice in a michelada? Is that some kind of regional variation?

Also, it needs salt on the rim — I think you dip the rim in lime juice, then into salt.

ordteapot says:

I think there are about a hundred different ways to make ‘em, this is just the one I usually make at home (and does seem pretty common for this region – Austin).

I’ve never really liked the raw salt + tomato flavor, so I skip it for this one.

• jsutcliffe says:

To be honest I’ve only ever had them in two restaurants, and I think they were owned by the same guy. However, you have successfully made me want a michelada, so well done!

• jsutcliffe says:

Ah — just saw the Austin note. That’s where I lived when I was introduced to micheladas (and limonadas – yum), both at El Chile/Chilito.

Bah, now I want some of their awesome salsa too. I think I’m too impressionable.

• MacBeth says:

Rock, Paper, Shot-glass?

• Spacewalk says:

Tomato juice for the booze god!

• Luckylad says:

Jim as much as I love fajitas, which is a huge amount considering ive lived about 50 miles from the texas/mexican border for a good 20 years. I really feel that fajitas in your region would be lack luster. I think that at some point you should make a trip to texas and find out what real texmex is all about. Personally, if i were you I would make a trip to either austin or houston. In austin theres quite a few good texmex places but I feel that houston is the birthplace of modern day texmex. Go to the original ninfas, lupe tortilla, or silvias to truly expirience the origin of the fajita and all of its cheese covered relatives.

• jonfitt says:

@Luckylad as someone who has lived in both the UK and Texas, I can pretty much guarantee that you wouldn’t recognise what Jim is about to eat as fajitas.
      Mexican food is pretty new to the UK, back in 2000 we had to go to ethnic food stores to find flour tortillas, corn tortillas did not exist. Now, the various ingredients are fairly universal, but they are all sold by the terrible mass market brands. Think Doritos salsa, and Old El Paso dinner kits.

Still, it’s hardly our fault, there are a vanishingly small number of Mexicans in the UK. Western food in Japan is equally hilarious.

11. NiXuTheNightbringer says:

I must say that I’m most displeased of the fact that Imperial guard is not among the playable factions. But still, the game looks cool… Wasn’t Eliphas sent into Basilika of torments? Or isn’t that Eliphas at all??

12. Heliosicle says:

I think the cultists from the DoW1 had the most messed up sayings “I LIIIIIVE TO SERVE” may no be the worst, their tortured voices made it bad to even select them…

13. TotalBiscuit says:

Tzeentch – Change we can believe in.

14. We Fly Spitfires says:

Never played the DoW games but I heard they were very good. Might need to check them out.

15. Kronyx says:

I hope we get to play as Chaos in the campaign.

ordteapot says:

Success! Just be careful, they’re a gateway drug to cowboy hats.

17. Sartoris says:

If only it had a turn-based mod. I dislike the twitchiness of it.

• Vinraith says:

I’d love to see a real PC game implementation of the table top game, in all its turn-based glory.

• Alastayr says:

Vinraith, once again I find myself secretly wishing for you to be my long lost brother.

• Psychopomp says:

It’s probably never happen, unfortunately. It’d probably be viewed as a direct competitor to actual tabletop 40K, but about 3781690723961730 times cheaper, with better maps, and easier to play.

• malkav11 says:

To me, an implementation of a Warhammer 40K equivalent of Magic Online (where you play in a virtual gamespace with rules handled for you but pay real money for your cards – or figures, in this case) is a can’t lose proposition for both gamers and Games Workshop. But it doesn’t seem to have crossed their minds. Or, if it has, they appear to have rejected it.

Now, let’s be clear here – that’s not what I want, any more than Magic Online is what I want out of a Magic computer game. Since my central objection to both is the inordinate amount of money you have to shell out for the components of the game, what I -want- is a full rules implementation with all the toys to play with, either up front or added in comprehensive expansion addons. I don’t even need multiplayer, if they could develop a proper AI / campaign. I don’t do multiplayer much, after all, and find the great internet unwashed to be exceedingly lousy company.

But I’m realistic enough to know that something like that isn’t very attractive to companies who make their money nickel-and-diming you for bits of their game. I really don’t see any downside to the Magic Online model for them, though.

• Vinraith says:

@Psychopomp

No, I don’t expect it will. Then again, I never expected a PC translation of Blood Bowl, either, so who knows?

• jRides says:

A computerised version of EPIC Space Marine is my dream.

Every single strategy game I play I am thinking about whether or not it would be do-able to mod that to 40k. Playing a tremendously modified version of DoW 1 with my mates is the nearest I’ve ever got, but these days there are newer, possibly better games out there, could you imagine a 40k mod for Men of War for instance?

Instead, sadly I find that most good strategy games (that would fit) are WW2 set and their modding communities are more interested in making it as authentic as possible, adding in yet more WW2 stuff that may or may not be better than what’s already available in game; but of course the game is now better because this new gun/cannon/tank has different numbers after it’s name, and authentic camoflage for 3rd March 1944.. I bet I’m exactly the demographic that causes the devs to always dumb down unit choices, exactly the sort of person those modders hate. :D.

• Fumarole says:

Imperium: Total War please.

• bill says:

@jRides:
      Epic would be epic… as long as they also made/included Adeptus Titanicus. Not only were those two big boxes awesome in themselves, but the whole flavor of Epic changed when you added in massive stompy robots who could destroy the entire building that all your space marines were hiding in.

A mechwarrior style titans game would rock too… the titan designs were always much cooler than the mechwarrior ones, imho. (except the weird tubby ork one that i could never imagine actually moving. orks shouldn’t get titans. )

• mrmud says:

There is the old Chaos Gate game for what its worth.

• TotalBiscuit says:

There is a video-game version of Epic called Final Liberation. It’s also rather good, if a little old now.

• jRides says:

Aye, both those games were excellent. CG I never ever finished, that along with Spacehulk2 broke in the transition from win95 to XP and I never completed them.

CG has its fixes (it works with win7 in the 95 compatability mode and after a quick file edit) I just need the time to play it. The old epic40k game (from strategy first or ssi?) was excellent, I remember the amazingly meaty sounds from the ork gargant belly gun – that game in a modern engine would be the business.

18. Rabbitsoup says:

o please let them fit into the multilayer nicely. its finally feeling almost balanced

19. jsutcliffe says:

I love how this thread is 50% gaming, 50% food.

20. gryffinp says:

All this single player stuff is all well and good, but I am interested in seeing how Chaos plays in Multiplayer, and what other changes the expansion will bring. The campaign is fun for a while, but I’m in this game for the long haul.

21. Akirasfriend says:

I care about potatoes.

That is all.

22. vash47 says:

Why are chaos space marines so fucking baddass?

23. Wooly says:

YES, IMPERIUM TOTAL WAR. Please?

24. DarthBenedict says:

I’d like to see eliphas win. He is the only chaos lord who isn’t outright retarded, so relic should throw him a bone. Plus letting the bad guys win occasionally puts suspense into future storylines.

25. fuggles says:

On the off chance anyone cares I’ve recently made a mod which adds 5 new game modes to DoW2:

Despicable self promotion aside, this looks like being an excellent add-on with you tainting the blood ravens, who will get a new commander in the form of the librarian. It looks very much like Eldar are getting Wraithguard too, if you look at IGN’s new screenshots.

26. DarthBenedict says:

Yes, though most of the ones in the general 40k universe are pretty thick too.

Which is kind of to be expected in a universe where people jump out of spaceships to hit each other with swords.

• Subject 706 says:

And using bright, shiny and reflective “here I am please shoot me” colour for their armour.

27. too much time on hands says:

zoatabix

28. Malagate says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    Huh. I was JUST reading GameSpot’s hands-on with the new campaign.

Buh? Those Chaos Space Marines (CSM) in the trailer are Black Legion though, Eliphas the Inheritor is a Word Bearer (a Dark Apostle no less!), would be kind of weird if he did make the switch over. Especially as he's been a Word Bearer since the Heresy, still a few millenia might either make you very set in your ways or feel it's time for a change.

Also: Honey Puffed Squat. No matter what your breakfast cereal, the nids ate them all :(

• Gundrea says:

With salsa on top! OMNOMNOM

Which reminds me, what new wonders will the expansion bring for the ‘nids?

29. megaman says:

I bought DoW II when it was cheap on steam, and I didn’t regret it one minute. It is fast and furious fun. I was pretty sure that once the campaign was finished it wouldn’t offer much more to me, but once again I was positively surprised by the game. I finished the campaign around day 40, and I still could continue to play the game where I left off, some new items were introduced and I had the impression that the difficulty went up a notch. I am now at day 50, and I finally created a windows live account so that I can test the multiplayer stuff when the single player campaign no longer offers fun, which I have yet to experience. Actually, the windows live stuff is the worst part of my game experience, everything else is above my expectations. It’s not very complex, but what it aims to do it does well.

30. subedii says:

If you haven’t already, play the campaign co-op on one of the higher difficulty levels. It becomes a tonne more fun, and control of two squads each is just right when you’re dealing with something like Captain or Primarch difficulty.

As for the multiplayer, A word of warning: They’ve sorted out most of the balance issues by now, but your main issue is just finding it difficult as a starter. The matchmaking system is a bit bizarre in that when you’re starting off, it matches you up against some mid and high-range opponents in order to discern your skill level, and that can happen for quite a few games. This was ideally supposed to prevent people on smurf accounts (People that start brand new accounts just so they can go around beating the tar out of new people), but it can be a bit aggravating when you’re just starting off.

• gryffinp says:

On a related note, I’ve found that if you’re trying to become good at the game, there’s no way around it; you have to grind.

You have to play over and over again until your skill levels are high enough that you can reliably fight the big guys. That’s what I did and I’ve gotten to the point where I generally win about as much as I lose.

Oh, and don’t play Space Marines because they are not the noob-friendly race.