Operation Flashpoint DLC Tomorrow

By Jim Rossignol on November 4th, 2009 at 4:21 pm.

The promised Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising downloadable content, which is free for PC users, will be available tomorrow along with the new patch. Codies info and trailer below.

The ‘Skirmish’ DLC features four new multiplayer maps and two new Fire Team Engagement (FTE) missions featuring both solo and four player co-operative play. Hunt down SAM launchers hidden in the sprawling complex of ‘Lumberyard’ and assault dug in PLA forces and fight room to room in ‘White Fang’, two tense new ‘Infiltration’ multiplayer maps. ‘Annihilation’ multiplayer maps pitch armour and infantry against each other in rolling battles across a valley in ‘Stomping Grounds’ and in ‘Force Dispersal’ military bases separated by a strategic hill become a close-quarters killing ground. New FTE missions include ‘All Round Defence’, which places gamers in control of air support and attack helicopters as they defend a fortified complex against relentless waves of PLA. In ‘Uphill Struggle’ players must capture a bunker under heavy fire from hillside reinforcements. Gamers can also recon the entire 220 km² island of Skira alone or co-operatively in a range of vehicles at day or night in ‘Island Tour.’

__________________

« | »

, .

1. AndrewC says:

I’m trying to think of a way to complain about this free DLC. I’m coming up short, though and am hoping some commenters could help me out.

• PHeMoX says:

You could argue the initial release of the game should have had 22 missions instead of 11, which would mean a free DLC with at least 11 missions would be appropriate. ;)

But I think we should be glad with this DLC and just take it as it comes. We’re getting screwed money-wise anyways when you’re truly thinking about the initial release objectively.

• Chaz says:

You could also argue that they should have implimented all the features they were bragging about in their promotional preview videos in the run up to release. Compared to what they said the game was supposed to be like, this dlc offering is just pathetic. And although this might be free on PC, for some reason they’re charging folks nearly £4 for this on the consoles.

This forum thread pretty much sums up all the bull CM were coming out with before the release. It’s fairly different from the experience they delivered. Perhaps some what naively it’s what I was expecting the game to be like. Will never buy another Codies product again.

2. Arsewisely says:

I’ve downloaded a missio-editor made mission called White Fang – I shall now play it and see if it bears any resemblance to the above…

3. Arsewisely says:

Nope.

4. Diogo Ribeiro says:

If only my PC wouldn’t seppuku itself in shame of not being able to run the game :(

5. Cooper says:

This is less of a complaint (given that it’s free) but I can’t help feeling that when DLC is released this soon after a game is released, that the DLC just consists of content they had ready for the original release but just forked out so they could package it up later (usually for a fee).

• HidesHisEyes says:

Devs concentrating on getting a bugfree release before 0-day and then padding out the content later on? Sounds good to me.

• Lagmint says:

Given that games need to be ‘complete’ about a month or more before you’d ever see them.. I guess TECHINCALLY they have the content when the game ships, but it’s not like you can just re-print the DVD’s each week with the new content you’ve made.

• PHeMoX says:

Good point cooper, in fact, to be honest, the 11 original campaign levels aren’t quite enough for me to begin with. If it weren’t for the great multiplayer experience I’m having so far, I might have brought the game back to the store after completion of the main campaign.

The DLC for PC is great and should be free for what you get. I do not get that console users even want to pay extra for something that should have been in the game in the first place.

Oh, and by the way, for 60$ a game should be BOTH bug free and filled with a decent amount of content and quality.

6. Annoid says:

Well, considering the amount of polish the initial FTEs received, creating the DLS ones shouldn’t have taken them longer than a coffee break.

Also, you’re quite welcome AndrewC

7. iainl says:

When DLC arrives this soon after release but is free, it sounds more like stuff that got pulled in order for QA to hit the deadline to me…

8. Gap Gen says:

I really should play more of this, but I got frustrated and stuck a few missions in (the one where you have to guard the control tower, and your allies are about as useful as marzipan dildos while the Chinese pour in).

9. clive dunn says:

mmmm…..marzipan dildos!

10. Mort says:

Hmm this is unexpected and timely. Blasted through release content in less than a week in coop, and although it was some of the best coop laughs I’ve ever had the lack of vehicle action, lack of any story and pathetic final mission, left a bad taste.

Although ‘island tour’ could be taking the piss a bit, unless it actually has enemies to kill.

• PHeMoX says:

Lack of vehicle action? It has some of that though. It might not be much, but at least the multiplayer can be quite vehicle-based but it depends on how YOU play the game.

11. Bryan says:

No dedicated servers…. still….

12. RiptoR says:

I don’t think dedicated servers are something that they’ll release, or even be able to release without having to rewrite the entire multiplayer part of the game.

13. Arsewisely says:

I don't understand why any developer would exclude dedicated server support. I'm sure there are many valid techy reasons which I would fail and stubbornly refuse to understand but once you've had a taste of the good stuff i.e consistent low pings, why would you want to suffer a game online for which you're lucky if you can get anywhere near 100.

This is why I've hardly touched the OFP2 multiplayer. Depressingly, it IS good – when the latency is behaving. It is atmospheric, tense and exciting. When it's bad it's like playing on a wireless keyboard with low batteries, which is needless to say an immersion killer. It doesn't make sense that the developers would allow you to glimpse a fantastic online experience only to, well, pretty much cripple it.

Also, and as a result I guess, there are hardly any servers compared to the usual server count for such a high profile release.

I am reminded of the days way back when – a time when I was happy just to successfully load an online game of Delta Force 2 or Half-Life multiplayer. Any time spent actually playing, with any latency, before the game would crash and the dreaded 'ding!' of the telephone would indicate that the little 56k had shat itself and given up, was a bonus. Those days are over – I want hundreds of servers and sub 50 pings, or else what is the point? Is this demanding and petulant? Absolutely! But find a gamer who isn't.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with MW2.

Comment on this story