Eye-Eye: Dark Salvation Demo

By Jim Rossignol on November 5th, 2009 at 5:16 pm.

The delicately-named Mangled Eye Studios have gone and made an “old school FPS” from id Tech 3, and that means guns, demons, evil monsters, and lashings of neo-gothic architecture. You’ll be able to sample all these delights for yourselves, thanks to a 480mb demo, which is now up on the Mangled Eye site. I expect it’ll be mirrored elsewhere in due course, so do mention in the comments if you spot alternate sources. The full game is available for purchase on Direct2Drive, should you be so inclined. I’ve not had a chance to play this yet, thanks to yet more accursed connection troubles, so let us know what you make of it if you take the time to have a play. Does it match up to obvious rival, Painkiller Resurrection?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Rohit says:

Will download. I kinda miss id Tech 3.

2. TotalBiscuit says:

ID3 tech? Cue Wolfenstein bitching about the graphics and ‘generic’ nature of the game.

• Krikey! says:

That will be id Tech 4 already. 3 is the one from Quake 3.

This excites me. I loved the Quake 3 engine, so I’ll be checking it out

• TotalBiscuit says:

Yeah I know, I’m just bitter.

• blah says:

Or did you mean RTCW?

• TotalBiscuit says:

My comment referenced the nonsensical bitching about the ‘bad, outdated’ graphics of the ID4 driven Wolfenstein. FPS fans seem to get riled up by anything that doesn’t look like Crysis these days, it’s upsetting.

• Wulf says:

Or TB, it could just be that Wolfenstein was a pretty average and sub-par game in every respect, not even considering the graphics. I didn’t really care for Wolfenstein, not only did it feel like a subpar sandbox cash-in game, but it completely lacked all the personality and charm of ye olde Wolfenstein (I think I actually prefer the graphics of the ancient 2.5D version, so it’s definitely not about graphics, eh?). Yahtzee sums up how I felt about Wolfenstein pretty well.

So, you know, not every FPS fan has a distaste for Wolfenstein because of the graphics, and to be honest I don’t think even that a significant amount of PC gamers disparage FPS games because of their graphics being lesser than those of Crisis, because if they did then Source games like L4D2 wouldn’t sell as well as they clearly do, would they? After all, as far as graphics technology goes, Crisis is so far ahead of Source that it leaves Source in the stone-age. So I don’t buy the idea of PC gamers being graphics whores, not at all. I would have three or so years back, when the hardware-lust was in full swing, but not today.

Still, don’t let me bust your bubble and bring you out of your own little world with a more logical opinion.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Yet another nebulous and vague allusion to how ‘generic and boring and personalty-less’ it is without any real objective facts or comparison to other titles. Just reinforces my idea that PC gamers are averse to fun these days. Yahtzee’s job is to be overly cynical and pick fault with games he isn’t very good at. He embodies the ‘hate the wood for the trees’ style of gamer that is incapable of enjoying the whole because he’s too busy being a miserable pedant. Wolfenstein is just as good if not better in places than RTCW and I don’t remember anyone slagging that off. And no, no we have not ‘moved on’ from that style of gameplay.

• Seth says:

I couldn’t agree more. These people are clear;y crazy for insisting that the game is 76.34% generic when it is clearly only 32.84% generic!

3. HALF says:

HMMM “Mangled eye studios” may get in trouble with there logo seems very similar to Neversoft’s logo ? Well i think so any way and that was the first thing i thought when i went to their site.

4. M.P. says:

I’m gonna be watching a large number of schlocky, amusing horror movies made on a shoestring budget in the next few days and this seems to be the same in game form, so I’ll pass on it for now and get it after I run out of B-movies and start getting withdrawal symptoms :)

5. Senethro says:

Wasn’t there somethign similar about this time last year, but it had werewolves?

6. iQue says:

Anything is better than Painkiller:Resurrection, sadly. ill be giving this a spin, hey free demo.

7. WarFalci says:

I tryed to play thsi demo a bit, but it’s horribly broken.

You can’t climb ladders with the starting weapon! When you try to go to the controls option screen, the game crashes. After a couple of minutes trying to beat a dumb press the button and run puzzle at the start of the first level, I got killed by the first enemy with a single attack from him.

There’s a great difference from challenging to frustrating. Mangled Eye seems to have missed it.

8. Dominic White says:

Yeah, this game is a trainwreck. They seemed to be aiming for ‘retro’ as in Quake 1, but somehow managed to land on early Quake clones like Chasm.

Oh dear.

Ah well, back to Skulltag/Scoredoom. The best retro shooters never die.

9. Red Avatar says:

I’m a big sucker for retro games like this. Heck, I even enjoyed Chasm! These old FPS games just had a different atmosphere to modern ones. Too bad today it all has to be so realistic.

10. frymaster says:

also up on http://dl.127001.org/demos/DarkSalvationDemo.zip in case the main download site gets busy

11. hydra9 says:

I like the Quake-ness of what I’ve seen but it’s sadly scuppered by everything WarFalci mentioned above. In fact, I didn’t get past that first timed door ‘puzzle’ – though, believe me, I tried.

12. bhlaab says:

Yeah. This game… it’s not good.

13. Spacewalk says:

I’m looking at the screenshots and I see a handful of nice guns and some cool looking zombies but for the most part it’s all terrible and goth. What it does do well is make me pine for a re-release of Undying.

14. ZIGS says:

I like how you can choose through numerous different resolutions but 1680×1050 isn’t one of them

• DrazharLn says:

I hate it when developers do that. I have to hack about a third of my games into being the correct resolution.

This happens so often that the first thing I do when I start a new game is open the options screen and check everything out. Then I have to surf the internet for a fix -.-

15. Snarboo says:

It’s probably for the best. The first thing you see if you can manage to get past the first timed switch puzzle is another timed switch puzzle, but this time over a pit of lava with moving platforms. It only gets more frustrating from there. I’ve never seen a game that wanted the player dead so badly since the 16-bit era. It almost feels like the FPS equivalent of an early platformer.

For whatever reason, saving is disabled in the demo.

16. Snarboo says:

Er, I was responding to hydra9 with my last comment.

The crash caused by clicking on Controls in the options menu was a result of the demo using older code. Mangled Eye uploaded a newer demo earlier tonight fixing this error. There are still a number of oddities, such as the previously mentioned lack of saving and not being able to climb ladders when the purple crystal is equipped, which is apparently intentional.

17. pival says:

Saving is disabled in the main game as well. Actually… there is a saving mode. It’s basically a level warp command: you have to finish the level to be able to save. And holy moses the disapointment when I received the game when I preordered it: saving was broken, I had to wait for a patch.

And for the story, no I did not pass the first level. I mailed the devs about its broken-ness but they were insisting on the fact this + the extreme difficulty was a “feature” more than anything.

Oh, they also deleted my comments regarding these bugs on moddb. Get to the conclusion you want, but don’t buy that.

18. ZIGS says:

It’s a shame this game is so broken, we really need another Painkiller clone.

19. WhoCares says:

I think the game is pretty sweet. You youngsters crying about a game being too hard need to grow a pair and learn some gaming skills for crying out loud. What is the broken crap? My copy of the game saves fine. Per level just as it is intended to be. Sure its a challenging game not a walk in the park.

Pival, you can’t beat the first level and its the devs fault? Good grief!

20. SBF says:

This is one of the worst demos I have ever tried.

21. KrazyKain says:

wow.. what jackass decided to remove saving from a demo thats 90% instant death platforming?!

Comment on this story