Can’t Think Of Greek Pun: Mytheon

By Jim Rossignol on November 5th, 2009 at 9:45 am.

Remember the mildly disappointing sci-fi RTS Universe At War? It was the one where alien races used the Earth as a place to do fighting at each other. Remember that? Okay, me too! I totally reviewed it. Anyway, the developers of that very game, Petroglyph, have another work on the horizon, only this time it’s a free-to-play (read: micro-payments) MMO with some strong Greek mythology themes. It’s called Mytheon, and I’ve posted the “classes” trailer below. Could it be Titan Quest the MMO? If you stare at it with your eyes crossed so the image goes out of focus, it could be. The launch date seems to be a vague “2010″, and we’ll be annoyed if that’s wrong.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jhoosier says:

Hmm.

That’s all I can really think to say about it. The quick cutaways means you don’t reallly get to see what they do. I give the trailer a 6/10. All flash and no substance.

2. CMaster says:

I like how you can either be a Roman soldier (that uses magic), a Egyptian priest (that uses magic) or a Greek philosopher (that uses magic). Exciting and thematically tight class set there!

3. Jochen Scheisse says:

I see a tribes addon on the horizon, with the Gallic(Celtic) druid (that uses magic) and the German barbarian (that shits in the woods). I shall play that barbarian.

• Tei says:

It needs a Kane (from the NOD) that summon a obelisk of light, a Engine (from TF2) that can build turrets, and Avatar (from Ultima 7 Pagan) in cheat mode that can remove a tile from the floor…

4. Feet says:

Not one of those classes was a sexy lady! I demand a recount!

5. DK says:

Petroglyph – Masters of taking a good (or even excellent) concept and making a game with horrible gameplay and graphics out of it.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Not really. Unless you’re one of those ‘Ain’t Crysis? 10 BUCKS ONLY’ hyperbole-spewing fools, Empire at War and Universe at War both had completely passable graphics and neither suffered from horrible gameplay. Empire at War’s ground combat wasn’t great and didn’t match up to how good the space combat was and Universe at War’s only real problem in my honest opinion was it’s zoom level and the horrible implementation of GFWL. The game itself was great old-school RTS fun with a few unique twists. The 3 factions played very differently, the campaigns were lengthy and challenging, I loved the unit variety and Frank Klepacki’s soundtrack was great.

UaW is highly under-rated, for whatever reason.

• Arathain says:

I thought UaW was a lot of fun. The unit design for the different factions was great. Not a top tier RTS, had its problems, but perfectly enjoyable.

6. M.P. says:

I really dig Petroglyph’s logo.

7. H says:

The pun “Mytheon in action” would have killed you?

8. Tei says:

“The launch date seems to be a vague “2010″, and we’ll be annoyed if that’s wrong.”

Haha… with a MMO you sould always add 6 months to 1 year to a date, some much more.

It looks good. But most MMO play like the same game I have already played. I think the world grown bored of playing Pacman clone, and Tetris clones, so maybe the world as already grown bored to play Everquest clones. I am tempted to say “please stop making these”. But after the success of WoW, is imposible to stop people tryiing his luck, is like a gold rush.

9. Moriarty70 says:

Greek pun – Apollo smoldering with anticipation. Zeus ready to bolt.

10. Sobric says:

Stopped watching when “GOA” came up on the screen.

11. Serenegoose says:

Even 'it's all greek to me' would have sufficed as a pun, surely.

12. Vinraith says:

And another interesting developer turns to the dark side. Pity.

13. Blue says:

Man, where’s the love for the Sumerian or Babylonian designs? Jeeeeeeeeeeeez. They were empires too!

14. Sonic Goo says:

The idea of an MMO set in antiquiti does have potential. This looks like another clone with a slightly different skin, though.

15. url404 says:

I dunno, maybe:

“Get your Mytheon!”

“Pantheon of pain”

“Massive Multiplayer Mytheon”

“Mytheon: God of Microtransactions”

or if you think it looks crap:

“God of Bore” (no, too nasty)

Actually, come to think of it, fair enough.

16. zipdrive says:

Well, the first pun I could think of when seeing the name was:
    Pointy Mytheon and the Holy Grail.

although, considering it’s an MMO, maybe it should be Poiny Mytheon’s Complete Waste of Time

17. Xavier says:

Garbage. Pure garbage.

18. joeyjuviyani says:

I recommend you to watch the official Mytheon PC gameplay video of about one and a half minutes which will give you more information about the game. Get it over here: http://www.techarena.in/video/24394-mytheon-pc-gameplay.htm