Prometheus Stands Alone

By Jim Rossignol on November 8th, 2009 at 8:28 pm.

Just noticed this over on Bluesnews, and it is one of the first fruits of the recent announcement of UDK, Unreal’s free-to-use engine package: the standalone version of rather clever spatial/time puzzle mod, Prometheus. Get it here, it’s just 321mb, no Unreal games necessary. And no, we won’t be announcing every UDK thing that comes along, it’s just that this something actually worth spending some time with. Give it a whirl, there’s some brains in them there bits.

, , .

1. SubJenius says:

Cool, I’ll be giving this a try. If it’s any fun I’ll be doing a “Let’s Play” of it on youtube! Search my name for my channel.

• Mr. Mister says:

Greetings to those who come here from Isochronus!

The game is free, so give it a try, to see if your brain can sustain it.

2. Dain says:

It should be noted that “The Ball” is also standing on it’s own now.

This is all rather exciting isn’t it?

3. Senethro says:

Prometheus is a good mod, not too short and not too long.

4. Rai says:

This was already in development right? My mind would be blown if they managed to do this in the days since the release of the UDK.

5. Rohit says:

@Rai

No, it’s been a mod for UT3.

6. Dave L. says:

This speaks well to the portability between the UT3 mod tools and the UDK. Too bad the multiplayer UT3 mods will basically be forced to come up with their own solutions for a dedicated server framework, since UDK only supports direct IP connection and LAN out of the box.

7. Ryx says:

I like the idea athough i don’t think i’m smart enough to complete the game, but the game glitched on the first level and made it impossible which annoyed me enough to stop playing because I don’t want it to happen on a more complex level.

8. bill says:

Not that i’m complaining about it, but won’t all the mods de-coupling from UT mean less profit for Epic?

Then again, 2 or 3 of the most interesting looking releases this year have been mods for games that i owned, but no-longer have. Mods take so long to release these days, that it’s actually kinda annoying to have them still require a game that you lost/sold/boxed years ago.

9. Sp4rkR4t says:

I hope to see RenegadeX make the transition to stand-alone soon.

Vandelay says:

Played this for a little while last night and, although a good idea, it relies on trial and error too much to be enjoyable. Going into a new level requires you to waste numerous goes running around trying to figure out what exactly you have to do. It would be better if you were presented with a layout of the level before going into it, so that you could plan ahead without having to spend time running around the level yourself.

11. Tom says:

Prometheus is awesome

12. Mikmanner says:

Good point, it’s still enjoyable though.

13. Big Jim says:

This is a pretty fun game. The only problem I had with it was the number of glitches the port seemed to bring about. Sometimes one of your copies doesn’t show up like it should, and other times switches and things dont work. This requires you to go back to the main menu and reload. If they fixed that, it would be great.