J. Nash Watch: Or Something Launches

By Kieron Gillen on November 9th, 2009 at 12:13 pm.

An advert from his site. Famously, there's no pictures of the chap.

J. Nash is back on the electric internet. This is to be celebrated. He’s a games journalist writer on games and other things – not least the splendid Sexton Blake for the British Radiobroadcasting Air-talk-machine-o-company. He’s also one of the obvious big influences on everything worthwhile that’s ever come from the British gaming press (Subtract Brooker, Nash and Campbell from the genepool, and you’re left with… well, Edge. Imagine if Edge was the only influence on games writing. Brrr). There’s not a mass of stuff there yet, but games relevant stuff includes his 11,000 words on Driver-3 collated from E-mails, as if Tim Rogers instead of being a posturing hipster-sort had only read Edwardian pulp thrillers. Oh – and only talked about the game. He also did the back pages for PC Gamer for ages, and they’re starting to be presented here. Hurrah!

1. Glove says:

Bookmarked and a half!

2. itsallcrap says:

I’d love to meet this man.

I hear it’s practically impossible.

I spent more time lauhing at stuff he’s written than anyone else I can think of.

• sinister agent says:

I very nearly met someone who knew him, once. Oh, and I met Kieron, who I suppose must have known him a bit. But I was too busy sneezing and spilling my drinks to mention him. Um. Is anyone impressed yet? What about the time I got an email from someone whose name was a bit like J Nash? Anything?

3. Glove says:

Wow. He’s fantastic.

4. 12kill4 says:

As a mere Colonial, derived from generations of convicts and desert-dwelling knife/spoon dyslexics, it pleases my heart to read that such brilliance still swells forth from the slightly frost-bitten breast of the motherland. I was filled with a most boastful pride for Queen and Country by the thought that sweet Britannia has offered forth another, much needed, dilution to Ngai Croalitis- of which I think we have all heard too much.

5. phil says:

The page offers more than I previous wanted to know about Chuck Jones and has left me with a complusion to watch Road Runner cartoons on youtube this afternoon in a tiny window, hopefully invisible to my bosses, thanks Mr. Nash.

6. Tei says:

The Internet today is easy. Trolls.. haaa! We use to fight man-eating lions and lion-eating men on the Internet!. Childrens, today, spoiled. CSS, webfonts, embeded videos, 3 columns layout… ha.

7. Alexander Norris says:

I time out every time I try to connect to that website. :(

8. Phlebas says:

Sexton Blake.
    Now on CD.
    Ideal Christmas present.
    Just saying.

9. OldManTick says:

We need more this pontification in the field of gaming type journalism

“The assistant translator, menu department, of Warcraft III, and the second assistant algorithm tuner, vehicle physics and driver AI, of Halo 2, are a couple!!! I forget their names. “

10. Ginger Yellow says:

I always wondered how bad Driver 3 could really be, given that the original Driver was, at the time, really fun for all its flaws. Apparently it was very, very bad.

11. Army of None says:

Wow, what a flashback. I remember LOVING the back pages of PC Gamer. They were always entertaining as a wee little kid.

Morph says:

The Driver 3 thing was bloody brilliant, the adventures of one man struggling through a terrible game.

13. AndrewC says:

So did he play through the whole thing to prove his alpha dog mettle to all the other game writing professionals, or is he just mentally ill? Or did he actually…i mean…could he have…

Why?

And is there a game out there so bad it has a level that has never been played?

14. Kieron Gillen says:

Andrew: He’s J Nash. We do not question.

KG

15. SuperNashwan says:

Hurrah!

That is all.

16. J Nash says:

Hello. I am J Nash. If your connection is timing out or otherwise rejecting the unimpressive site, it would be tremendously helpful if you could e-mail me at pesky – at – obviouslyfalsebit.orsomething.co.uk, removing the obviously false bit, with a “traceroute,” which I believe to be something that PC bods know what it is. It appears that folk with certain ISPs (O2/Be, for example) just can’t get through and I am attempting to determine who to set alight.

17. cheeba says:

Absolutely tremendous stuff, J Nash remains the funniest writer currently drawing breath. Bravo Sir.

18. haircute says:

I’m still trying to figure out the sentence with Tim Roger’s name in it.

19. Post Maker says:

It’s nice to see that other people think Tim Rogers is not that good a writer.
    At least that’s what I got out of the bit mentioning him; am I wrong on that?

20. Primar says:

Is it bad that I actually remember reading the Sherlock Holmes PC back page in PCG? I’ve probably still got it kicking around the loft somewhere, I suspect.

21. Davydd Grimm says:

Hurrah! That is all.

22. Davydd Grimm says:

Hurrah! That is all.

23. BooleanBob says:

Dude is a fan of adverbs.

Reminds me of Ianucchi.

24. mark says:

toot toot!

25. J Nash says:

Hello again. I am still J Nash. It looks like the connection problems have all been fixed (at least, everyone who kindly tested various bits is now reporting that they can get through consistently; it’s possible other people are stuck but I haven’t heard from them because they’re out fighting crime, or committing crime, I forget which) so you can once again enjoy awkwardly restyled reprints packed with adequate sentences referring to things nobody remembers that no longer physically exist, plus the occasional all-new punctuation joke.

26. Azazel says:

Pyrrhic Victory V’s feature in new best joke ever.