Anglicised Princess: King’s Bounty Nu-Demo

By Alec Meer on November 12th, 2009 at 3:26 pm.

Man, I pick my moments. If I’d have waited just one more day, just one more measly day, I could have ended my post about King’s Bounty: Armored Princess yesterday with a link to the just-released English demo. I didn’t. I got too excited. I have failed you. I’m sorry. You won’t ever hear from me again.

…At least not until my Armored Princess diaries, starting next week. (There will be a conclusion to the Risen ones at some point during the coming weeks, by the way – I’ve just been waylaid by Too Many Games.) Meantime, try the 470MB demo and see what you make of it. Too similar? Too cute? Too wordy? Too wonderful? I’ll admit I’m approaching it with some trepidation – you can have too much of a good thing, especially when it comes to games – but I’ll be very surprised if I don’t enjoy myself.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Urthman says:

I’ve just been waylaid by Too Many Games

This glut of great games will be the death of PC gaming.

2. Carra says:

Normally I’d just save some games to play after christmas when a no new games for 9 months period falls in. But the months after christmas seem to be filled up very well too.

Long live our luxury problems!

3. Gundrea says:

PC Games are the cancer killing PC Gaming. Looking forward to seeing a conclusion to the Risen diaries Alec.

4. Daniel Klein says:

So for someone who hasn’t played any King’s Bounty at all, what’s the difference between this and Heroes 5?

• GB says:

Objective (useful) answer:

-Single player only
      -No castle ownership/base building (you visit castles to buy items, hire troops, keep reserves in garrison), occasionally you attack hostile castles but there are no siege weapons or fortifications
      -Only resource is gold (no wood, ore, mercury, etc). However, there are 3 skill rune types to buy/collect that let you increase skills and magic crystals that let you memorize/upgrade spells
      -Combat is turn based but the world map is real time (enemies chase you if you get too close, if they catch you combat occurs)
      -Creatures available for hire is randomized each game, though some buildings will always have the same types of troops
      -Creatures don’t get resupplied weekly from their habitats, playing through the main quest will restock/increase/improve the creatures available in certain areas (castles in particular)
      -You control one hero for the entire game; more emphasis on tactics/roleplaying than HOMM’s tactics/strategy mix
      -No mage guilds to learn spells, instead you buy/find scrolls that you can permanently write to your spell book at the cost of magic crystals. You can upgrade spells to 3 levels if you meet the skill and crystal requirements
      -Morale affects how much damage units do and their critical hit rate as opposed to affecting how often they are able to act

• Nick says:

Smug git

=P

5. Nick says:

This isn’t shit.

But there is no multiplayer.

6. jackflash says:

• Tei says:

“I thought the original got very repetitive very quickly. Not quite understanding the massive love for KB, personally. Not to mention it’s basically a HOMM clone.”

It could be charm, and quality x density. After a few hours with the latest HOMM, you become really bored, because the gameplay ends very repetitive. Grinding, if you like.
      KB is a big game, and big here means more things to see, experience, feel, understand. It will take a loot to start a cycle of repetition and grinding, probably never be really grinding. Part of it is a problem: the monsters don’t respawn, so it play more like a adventure game, than a “rts”-y. Is also more quest based.
      Charm really affects the longterm fun of the game. Since the new things adds more to the game, because of his charm. On HOMM the new thing is new only on the model, and damage stats.
      KB has some of these qualities we have learn to expect from a Indie-ist game. Surprise me!, Please me in a way no other game has done before!. HOMM just deliver what we have learn to expect from a AAA production: Give me a generic AAA experience, like all the other million games I have played before!.
      HOMM is also somewhat sterile and mechanic for no reason. It has all the quality you may want, and more, but It feel like lacks love. KB on the other part also has really impresive quality, AND love everywhere.

• zipdrive says:

I’ve actually just posted a review of KB:TL on my site (sorry, it’ in Hebrew) and while the writing, humor and attention to details is all very good, the massive number of fights and their similarity all make for a repetitive endgame (at least, I think I’m near the endgame- still trying to save the elven queen’s soul).

7. Matzerath says:

Forget the Risen diaries, when are the Morrowind diaries going to be finished?!?!?!?
    Yeah, thought you snuck out of that one, didn’t you? Thought you cast invisibility and stealthed on by at a very slow, tedious walking pace, huh? Well …
    Oh nevermind.

8. Tusque d'Ivoire says:

If there’s one of your Diaries coming up, i’m gonna get this game. Love your write-ups, they’re extremely addicting, Alec.

9. Daniel Klein says:

Thanks very much for the answer, GB. Since I’ve always found HoMM multiplayer to be somewhat anticlimactic (build build build build 4 hours later MASSIVE clash oh look he had more creatures game over) I don’t think I’ll be missing the MP very much from this. Also, the resource management became rather much of a chore in HoMM. You could either ignore it and accept that you’d play a sub-optimal game or you could obsess over it and play a dull game.

Will check out this demo.

10. Nox says:

The re-imagining of King’s Bounty was my Game-of-the-Year for ’08. Now I just need a remake of GameTek’s 1993 sleeper Nomad and all will be right with the world.

11. Al3xand3r says:

I loved this game a year ago, I can’t wait to dive in again. I hope it’s as varied and fun and funny as the first, but I’m confident they’ll manage to perhaps outdo it as their creativity didn’t run out throughout the first game which threw crazy new situations at you even after you thought you’ve seen it all. I’d praise it all over again here but this is a sum of my feelings:
    Only with less giggling and squeeeeeee

12. Robin says:

I’m a bit wary of installing this. Do 1C Company still use Starforce, and if so, is Starforce still a flesh eating alien virus?

• Vinraith says:

“Do 1C Company still use Starforce”

Nope. No Starforce on the original King’s Bounty: The Legend or on this (or on anything else 1C has released in the last couple of years) fortunately.

13. Railick says:

I dunno why so many people relate this to Heros of Might and Magic it is really nothing like it. It isn’t turn based over land, the combat isn’t really very much like it (it has more in common with Disgaia then freaking Heros of Might and Magic, infact you can enter item worlds and fight their keepers just like Disgaia :P) It is far from a clone that is for certain. It is kind of a unique game in a way I can’t think of any other game off the top of my head that is just like it.

But trying to compare this to heros of might in magic is like comparing Fantasy General to HMMO or Panzer General, just because they’ve got hex based combat doesn’t make them similar enough to call clones ;)

• Vinraith says:

In fairness, the original Kings Bounty after which this is modelled was done by the same people that went on to make the first few HOMM games, so there are some distinct similarities in combat and the like, but I agree with you that the two series are focused differently and KB is a distinct franchise. I quite like both, myself, and don’t find them similar enough that being burnt out on one results in being burnt out on the other. KB is a role playing game with strategic combat, HOMM is a strategy game with some lite RPG elements.

14. Railick says:

My favorite HOMM type game has always been Age of Wonders , I didn’t like the second one very much because the AI cheated so badly :( (I tested it they are VERY bad at cheating lol) HOMM 3 is my favorite in that series but I don’t really like heros of might and magic very much to be honest :) I like games like it though like the War Lords games and there is always the grand daddy of those types of games Master of Magic which is like a combo of Heros of Might and Magic and Civilization.
    Kings Bounty for me falls very much out of the realm of all these games though like you said the combat itself is similiar.
    Now what I’d like to see is a game that combines King’s Bounty combat and movement along with Majesty Kingdom managment and Dungeon Keepers dungeon creation that allows a multiplayer online game where one or more players control a kingdom Majesty style while several players control heros/villians and a few players also control dungeon keepers :)
    (edit) this is not to say you’re wrong Vinraith, I’ve never played the first Kings Bounty the first one could have been cloned by Heros of Might and Magic and be just like them I’m not sure ;)

Shadowcat “It hammers at my retinas like an evil woodpecker of pure energy”

15. Introspective says:

The King’s Bounty is much beter serial than HoMM. When I said that I refer to Amiga’s Original King’s Bounty from 1991, to The Legends and newly released Armored Princess.

16. Adam says:

Actually its the other way around, HOMM is a clone of KB, The original KB being released in 1990, HOMM in 1995 (same developers)

Comment on this story