Company Of Dinos: Dino D-Day

By Kieron Gillen on November 13th, 2009 at 7:04 pm.

I do like that the image file is called nazidino.jpg. Yay!

Effseven pointed me at this. I haven’t played it. It’s a proof-of-concept demo-release of the full game which the mod team will be playing. It could be terrible. It… actually, I refuse to believe it could be terrible. The world wouldn’t be that cruel. It’s a single player FPS mod about Hitler getting dinosaurs with the inevitable consequences. From the moment when watching the trailer the newspaper headline “DINOSAURS! They Are Real And The Nazis Have Them” appeared, there was no way I wasn’t posting this. Good luck in finishing it, Sez I.

Meanwhile, what’s your favourite Dinosaur, RPS readers? Mine’s the Brachiosaurus.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Dominic White says:

My favourite are the funky new-wave velociraptors. The feathers are just [i]so[/i] Jurassic-chic. Classy.

Also, that trailer is fantastic. And, well, it can’t be worse than that new Turok game, can it? Dear god, was that one ever dissapointing…

2. Metalfish says:

I’m all about the post-dinosaur mega mammals myself.

3. Mechtroid says:

For some reason, this game reminds me of that old PC classic where you went back in time and took pictures of dinos… What was its name again?

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

For some reason you made me think of an older pc game a friend of mine had where humans (especially the one human the player plays, a prince, if I remember correctly) team up with dinos to fight the ‘evil’ dinos ruled by a massive(ly charicatured) tyrannosaur.

If only I could think of the name. Not too sure if it was any good, but it looked neat enough.

• Taillefer says:

Hmm-Hmm,
      Hmm, are you thinking of Lost Eden, Hmm?

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Ah, yes, that would be it. I knew it was something with Eden.. anyhow, off-topic rambling.

4. Waltz says:

I love the idea and the first part of the trailer. But the gameplay footage is a bit disappointing – I was hoping for a full-blown war with huge armies, lots of tanks and dinosaurs on WW2 battlefields, more like a Call of Duty with Tyrannosaurs, but the fighting seems to be more Half-Life style: one man against one or two enemies at once. Well, it’s not finished yet, so there’s still hope.

5. Kunal says:

Triceratops without a doubt. Triceratops vs T-rex was the cretaceous equivalent of Jack Bauer V Chuck Norris

6. Heliocentric says:

@kunal Which one has tiny arms?

7. Kester says:

Stegosaurus is the best! It’s pimped out with heat sinks and everything.

• amishmonster says:

Did that help out all the lasers on it in DinoRiders?

Also, someone needs to make a DinoRiders game already.

• Atalanta says:

It’s pimped out with heat sinks and everything.

And a thagomizer, to boot.

When I was five I wanted to grow up to be a stegosaurus.

8. Heliocentric says:

I wish this had been a company of heroes mod.

• amishmonster says:

Give Paraworld a shot. It’s not WWII-themed, and gameplay-wise it’s not the epitome of RTSs, but it has a thinly-veiled Charles Darwin riding an allosaurus.

• msarge says:

That would have been amazing.

• Centy says:

I can vouch for Paraworlds awesome. It was completely overlooked as it came out about the same time as Company of Heroes which looked better played better and was more hyped. Paraworld oh how I miss you I wonder if it will ever appear on steam or gog.

• Oak says:

It’s on Gamersgate.

• amishmonster says:

I’m glad I’m not totally alone in enjoying it – it’s definitely B-grade, but if you’re looking for armored dinosaurs slugging it out RTS-style, there’s really no better option that I know of.

9. Whiskey Jak says:

I predict that the sequel to that will have you fight against Nazi Dinosaurs Zombies.

As for my favourite dinosaur, it has always been the triceratop because of Slag, the triceratop Dinobot in Transformers!

10. amishmonster says:

At last, the fabled dinosaur invasion foretold by the RPS Newsletter!

That trailer is brilliant, and even the improbability of theropod-punching was mitigated by the puns.

My favorite dinosaur is the stegosaurus, and occasionally the kentrosaurus.

11. MrTambourineMan says:

I playz COd 6!

12. miked says:

Looks quite good actually and even if its not… the guy who did is concept art is brilliant – so his work should be checked out anyway!

13. PHeMoX says:

This mod is made of win.

14. Baris says:

Oh man, this made me very happy.

15. Andrei says:

The part where he tries to have a fist fight with a T-Rex is hilarious.

• PleasingFungus says:

“More like Tyranno-SORE!”

• damien says:

that is the part that stole my black and ruined heart, turning me from a passive observer into a rabid, loving fan of this mod.

• Idle Threats and Bad Poetry says:

Egad, Damien, that’s probably the most poetic comment I ever read on RPS. And you didn’t even capitalize!

16. Wayneo says:

After all these years of waiting I’ll finally get to punch a t-rex to death.

17. Scorpi says:

@ Mechtroid: DINOSAUR SAFARI. Dinosaur Safari. The game you were thinking of was Dinosaur Safari.

Every game that has ever had dinosaurs in it, or mentioned dinosaurs, has made me think of DS – but no one I know had ever heard of it until now. I played it to death – I can remember the creepy alien’s voice, each of the dinosaur noises, when to take a photo and when to run when some of the angrier dinos actually run towards your machine…

I’m putting in a request to GOG as we speak

• Scorpi says:

Actually, I think the people who designed the look of Portal probably played a lot of Dinosaur Safari – especially the end-of-level-elevator compared to the hallway to the time-machine? The creative process: revealed

18. Shalrath says:

Anything that lets you punch Dinosaurs must be played.

I do agree I’d LOVE to see full-scale combat with Dinosaurs. Instead of Tank Killers you’d have Trex-, uh, killers. But still, Tanks vs. Dinos! Spitfire vs. Pterodactyl!

19. westyfield says:

From the website (dinodday.com): “Dino D-Day: Episode 1 will introduce the player to the world of Dino D-Day with a complete single player storyline. A multiplayer version will be included.”

I am inappropriately excited about this one.

20. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I fear the gameplay will be rubbish, but the trailer alone is worth giving the game a try.

21. Mechtroid says:

That’s right! My friend and I played that as kids for ages. We alternated between that game and Mechwarrior 2. Except we didn’t really get the whole mouse+keyboard thing, so one of us did all the keyboard stuff, the other used the mouse. We were quite the duo.

22. Max says:

Looks a lot like they’re just new models for existing HL2 enemies.

• amishmonster says:

I’ll take a Hunter re-skinned as a pachycephalosaurus. It isn’t ideal, but at least it’s awesome.

23. Indagator says:

Ankylosaurus FTW. It’s like the Angry House of dinosaurs.

24. suibhne says:

That trailer is pure genius.

25. Wooly says:

That. Looks awesome.

My only complaint is that one of those dinosaurs was making the sounds that poison headcrabs do. Not a big thing, but it was a bit distracting.

26. Taillefer says:

I wish Crysis used dinosaurs instead of aliens. Ah well.
    That trailer was excellent.

27. fuggles says:

Has no one else seen that it’s actually fully playable already? Apparently it’s going commercial on steam next year but for now you can play the full prototype HL2 mod from the moddb page. It’s some peggles in size.

28. dartt says:

The Nazis were way ahead of the curve, it’s inevitable that one day we will need to travel back in time and harvest the dinosaurs for meat.

29. kvertiber says:

Unfortunately, the world IS that cruel. Just look at Stalin vs. Martians…

30. DXN says:

The best dinosaur is (and science backs me on this one) Raptorex. It’s basically what people think the velociraptor was. Except it’s actually a concentrated T-rex, with feathers. And the name! Oh, the name. RAPTOREX!!

31. Günter says:

Oh my god. If MW2 had dinosaurs I might actually play it.

32. Bret says:

Deinonychus was my favorite as a wee lad. Human sized, fast, vicious, and it inspired the whole warm blooded dinosaur theorizing. Plus, it’s never been found having feathers, despite all its relatives doing it.

I don’t care what everyone else says. Feathers look stupid on dinosaurs.

• neems says:

Deinonychus was always my fave as well. Terrible Claw was a bit of a rock star when I was a lad, then all those fancy Velociraptors came along and stole his thunder.

33. Dominic White says:

Edit: Goddammit, how’d I post in the wrong thread entirely?

34. A-Scale says:

Sweet Jesus. It’s like modern MOHAA with dinos. I absolutely love it.

I WILL BUY ALL THE ALTERNATE HISTORY GAMES YOU CAN SUPPLY. THAT GOES 2X FOR WW2.

35. Bravedave says:

Gotta be either Utahraptor (the basis for the velociraptors in Jurassic Park) or Giganotosaurus (basically a T-Rex but bigger and without the problem of tiny arms). Om nom nom!

36. Carra says:

“Make that Tranna-sore”. Brilliant.

As for the best Dino. The velociraptor! All thanks to the Spielbergs original Jurassic Park which made those cute fellas seem like dinosaurs with an Oxford degree.

37. Upsilon says:

Archaeopteryx, totally. They’re like tiny dinosaur-birds.

38. MrWonderstuff says:

Trespasser. There said it. Sequel please.

39. DarkNoghri says:

I love the idea of shooting dinosaurs with an M1 Garand.

Then again, I’d like the idea of shooting anything with an M1 Garand. It’s my very favorite gun. Pretty much, anyway.

• Ed says:

@DarkNoghri : I’ve always wondered how many people were killed because their gun went ‘CHING!’ when it ran out – a clearer signal that they needed to reload I cannot imagine.

40. EthZee says:

This looks awesome.

And on the subject of nostalgic dinosaur-related videogames, I remember playing a Dorling-Kindersley CD-ROM which was a dinosaur museum. You could click around and learn stuff about dinos, and even bring them to life and watch them roam throughout the museum. Ah, those were the days.

• Bravedave says:

Blast from the past! I used to love that. Espescially the bit where you went down through the rock layers in a lift to find fossils. Alas when I studied some paleoecology at uni it was never that exciting :(

41. Willem says:

You, sir, have taste. So, the Ankylosaurus *or* any of the Pachycephalosauria, like the… Pachycephalosaurus. They should form a dynamic duo. The Triasic Tank and the Cretaceous Battering Ram.

42. Erlend M says:

Hitler with dinosaurs? So, in other words, it’s just like Time Gentlemen Please?

43. Rob2984 says:

Ankylosaurus is ok, but for me it’s gotta be the Diplodocus. Love the one in the Natural History Museum, although last time I saw it had it had shrunk considerably since I first saw it at the age of six.

44. Gorgeras says:

Penny Arcade speculated that the next big thing after Zombies and Vampires would be Mummies.

Ha! Remember I’ve advocated Velociraptor as the tenth class in Team Fortress 2 for over two years now, so technically I’m way ahead of everyone: the next big thing will be Dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs have never had a proper game giving them credit. Turok flopped after the first game and Yoshi’s Island doesn’t count. In any hypothetical deathmatch, I’d bet on the Velociraptor more than half the time.

45. Justin says:

Triceratops FTW.

When I was a wee lad, my mother worked at the local history museum (Buffalo, NY). One summer day, I was at work with her (no babysitter) and the staff was changing around the dinosaur exhibit. I was handed a small vacuum cleaner and told to clean up around the Triceratops. While vacuuming, I knocked my head on the jawbone, and watched the whole thing slooooowly rock back and forth. Nothing fell off, and nobody saw me.

It was this thing here.

46. fuggles says:

Gah, can’t wait to get back from work and play this bad boy – Dimetrodon for me.

• ET says:

That’s not a dinosaur, though. But as someone who like pterosaurs best I don’t really have room to talk.

(In case the comment system screws itself up, this is directed to fuggles’ post.)

47. Pattom says:

You, sir, win so much for fitting in an Atomic Robo reference. Now I’m going to expect Hitler to secretly be a talking super-dinosaur committed to the extinction of humanity.

48. Fashigady says:

Utah Raptor ftw!

49. reginald says:

Dilophosaurus ! this game better have one.

50. Gabe McGrath says:

Just played with it for an hour, and so far.. hmm…
    Well, I’ve only seen 1 dino so far (a Triceratops, thank god it’s the 1 I can actually name!)
    & while it looks pretty good, it does “skate” a bit which really kills the illusion.

Also killing the mood for me a bit was a few “standard” SFX that they hadn’t replaced from HL2.
    eg sparks of electricity, health pickups, etc.

On the positive side, the music is great and I really want to see what else is coming up…
    unfortunately, ‘hard’ difficulty actually IS quite hard, and I’m stuck very early in the game.

Finally – I’m surprised no-one has mentioned that Half Life (1) mod that had dinosaurs in it!
    (Of course I can’t remember the name) I think it had weapons that came in parts & could be combined.
    I do remember that it ended with a HUGE t-rex head crashing through a roof
    - chomping & trying to get you. Anybody recall it?
    I received the mod via a magazine coverdisk….